PDA

View Full Version : It's my birthday!

Gwaer
04-27-2015, 10:44 AM
I don't stream anymore, so even though you could follow me at twitch.tv/gwaer Nothing would really come from that most likely...

I'm too lazy to write anything, so I don't contribute to any of our excellent Community websites... pretty much all I do is post on these forums.

I am also not as generous as Colin, so I won't be giving away a bunch of awesome stuff...

But you know what, I do have some draft codes lying around, and some broski buk mercs, and some jovial pippit AA's. I could be persuaded to pass some of those things around...

What do I want? I have no idea. I want to reminisce on hex, our interactions and friendships. Be reminded of silly things, Find a post of mine you liked, and quote it in here. Give me a favorite memory of yours about hex that is unrelated to me. If it doesn't make me happy I probably won't give you anything. If it makes me very happy I might have to part with a Gax or Portensio... Tell me stories of how the kickstarter video made you feel, go watch it again now to refresh yourself. Tell me about interactions with Cory, or the other devs, or awesome ways that the Hex community has renewed your faith in humanity. DBAD Friends.

Edit - Some things brought up so far for those who might have missed them.

8 minds one draft, nicosharp did a ton of work on this to make it a pretty cool resource for set 1 drafting, a bit out of date but still a lot of good info IMO.
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=37231 there are links to video from everyone who participated, some with commentary some without.

The alpha set 1 review with Myself, Funktion, and Mokog.... this thing is really really long... You probably don't want to watch it.

Part 1 - Wild (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0noQqLD-Zw), Part 2 - Blood (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WzPySnfNx8), Part3 - Diamond (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9-f1DFEwWU), Part 4 - Ruby (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nimuQr8Z9s0), Part 5 - Sapphire (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GsGfvKbaWY), Part 6 - Artifacts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRis2RJsXHg)
We were hilariously off on several predictions. But it was still a lot of fun.

plaguedealer
04-27-2015, 10:48 AM
I remember you were on youtube with mokog and funktion talking about about a set 1 review. I really dont need anything (if you want my ign is Pandaemonium, lol). I really enjoyed watching the lengthy youtube review back in the day.

Gwaer
04-27-2015, 10:50 AM
That set 1 review took like 8 hours. Man. That was a lot of fun. Thanks for reminding me about it. =) I will probably send you something.

nicosharp
04-27-2015, 10:52 AM
Happy B-day Gwaer - It's funny that your IGN - is Entrath, and your actually Birthday is not much off from the release date of no-wipe Beta, birth of HEX/world. Have a good one!

strylght
04-27-2015, 10:58 AM
I'm new here, so I can't help you with reminiscing, but I would like to wish you happy birthday anyway.

Now I fear that I might look like I'm fishing for handouts. I'm not, please don't hand me out anything.

Happy Birthday!

Gwaer
04-27-2015, 11:01 AM
http://i.imgur.com/djQsgdS.jpg

Here is a picture of my birthday cake. Given to me as a surprise from some friends who don't play hex, but are clearly subtly hinting that I may talk about it too much.

Xenavire
04-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Happy Birthday Gwaer. I'd say my favourite 'Gwaer' memories are all about how Zophie agree's with everything you say with humorous comments, but thats a bit bland for this.

Seriously though, I think the Charity stream was my favourite moment so far. Lots of fun, all the streamers coming together, Cory, tons of prizes, tons of money raised, Cory, Storm Cloud sleeves... Oh, and Cory.

In fact, I am hoping that we can have an even better charity stream this year - and I hope I can give more than I scraped together last year.

And that is one tasty looking cake!

Zophie
04-27-2015, 11:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/CIuql8c.png

also

http://i.imgur.com/EfWc3Xq.jpg

Happy Birthday Gwaer!!!

Kami
04-27-2015, 11:20 AM

Here is a picture of my birthday cake. Given to me as a surprise from some friends who don't play hex, but are clearly subtly hinting that I may talk about it too much.

That is awesome!

AdamAoE2
04-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Happy Birthday!

One of my favorite memories was doing the 8 Minds, 1 Draft with You, Nicosharp and the rest of the group.

The entire atmosphere was amazing, and I had a blast drafting at a table full of some of the most competitive players in the game. Nicosharp's write up was fantastic and I was proud to be a part of the event. (Speaking of which, we should do it again for 2/2/1!) I still occasionally look over the spreadsheet and analyze my picks and what I might have done differently. It was an awesome experience that really got me hooked into Hex's community and jumpstarted me into interacting more with the community. I started watching more streams, interacting more, and thinking of awesome things I could do to give back to the community. The event is easily one of my top 5 favorite Hex moments of all time.

Heck, the event even had what I consider to be one of my finest plays - A well timed bombsmith chump block against a gargantuan lifedraining boulder brute... followed by a ruby lance to deny the lifegain and win next turn. Oh wait, I'm trying to make YOU smile. Damn it.

nicosharp
04-27-2015, 11:24 AM
I had to go way back for this one:

Since I've already snagged all the tiers I want, I will tell you the secret of getting them. Download chrome, search for the chrome extension auto refresh plus, set that up to refresh the page every 1 second, and go to settings, check the box that says alert if text found, pledge 250$ on any 250 tier (if you want pvp), then go to the manage pledge area click the auto refresh plus icon, and in the search bar type in 1 of 913 then click start. it will automatically refresh the page, then play a tone when that is found. click pvp, and click change pledge. Done.

if you want grand king, change your pledge amount to 500 and pick any option, save that, go back to manage pledge and put in 1 of 959 in the search instead.
I just want to say, you gave me the idea, and the idea was able to be refined, but you also cost me a bit of compulsive spamming to nab the tier I got during the KS. So, I know I am not the only one that has to thank you for this. Between Crota(a WC3 Youtube shoutcaster) and you, I am happy I opened my first KS account and backed Hex when I did.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23873

Gwaer
04-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Hahaha! Adamaoe2! I really enjoyed the 8 minds 1 draft event as well. And I have to be totally honest. That was an Amazing play. Even if it was against me, I'm just glad to be part of that memory. Well played. =)

@nicosharp - And it only cost you a single lotus garden ;)

nicosharp
04-27-2015, 11:36 AM
@nicosharp - And it only cost you a single lotus garden ;)
It ain't nothin' an AA mirror knight can't buy back.

hammer
04-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Happy Birthday Gwaer nice cake that.

Zophie
04-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Oh also I think this might be my favorite post of yours Gwaer:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=37200&p=396244&viewfull=1#post396244

I had that bookmarked, for posterity. ;)

I do want to say seriously though, Gwaer and many others here in the Hex forums are really one of the biggest reasons why I love Hex so much, you guys are what makes this community so great, and in turn makes Hex a great thing to be a part of. It has been absolutely wonderful getting to know everyone here and it has been so great having like-minded folks to talk to and learn from, and I want to thank all of you for being a part of this!

Mokog
04-27-2015, 12:21 PM
That set 1 review took like 8 hours. Man. That was a lot of fun. Thanks for reminding me about it. =) I will probably send you something.

Haha you suppressed the late 1.5 hours from your mind. Do you remember #betterthansorrow?

Gwaer
04-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Haha you suppressed the late 1.5 hours from your mind. Do you remember #betterthansorrow?

Yes I do! I make oblique reference to that when I added links to our review in the OP. Sorrow turned out to be much better than anticipated.

chromus
04-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Happy Brithday Gwaer! I've enjoyed watching you transform from a ....... to a mellow & helpful QA volunteer! Please do not Revert! ;)

LeMazing
04-27-2015, 01:30 PM
Happy birthday Gwaer! I haven't had the pleasure of playing Hex with you (to my knowledge), but here are some great memories I have of Hex:

Pro-Player and Early Bird King tier sniping on Kickstarter.
Refreshing KS and the Hex homepage multiple times daily waiting for more updates on content and stretch goals.
Talking to IRL friends about how exciting the Hex Kickstarter looked but no one feeling the same way.
The regret of not pledging higher the moment that the KS ended (regardless of how high anyone might have pledged).
Everyone rushing to make escalation decks when Alpha first began.
Never knowing which of your favorite set 1 cards would be adjusted with the next Alpha patch.
Field of Poppies! </3
Game-ending turn 3/4 Fist of Briggadons.
When the sadness of losing our complete collections post-Alpha was overshadowed by the joy of meaningful drafts and building real collections when Beta started.
That one draft where you got that one absolutely amazing, expensive card but lost round 1 and you didn't even mind.
Looking back at the KS page and re-remembering all the things that got you excited about Hex.
Looking back just a few months and seeing how far the game has come.
Thinking about how even though the community isn't as hyped as we all were during the KS, we're all still here. And whenever Cory posts a blog entry, records a new video, or mentions anything planned for the game's future, the hype returns for a brief while.

Yoss
04-27-2015, 01:57 PM
Happy Birthday, Gwaer! :)

NOBLEStarshield
04-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Happiest of birthdays!

Mokog
04-27-2015, 02:14 PM
In our defense for the 9 hours of three friends talking about cards. it was alpha and a lot of things changed. Just you wait, when Armies of Myth Drops everything we know about Hex will change again :-P

Saeijou
04-27-2015, 03:03 PM
Happy birthday! :)

Edit:
my favorit moment was definitly the 5000 post stream against ben.
"ben, i'm going to attack now" :D

Mokka
04-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Happy birthday, mate! Hope you have a wonderful day!

I've been stalking the forums for months, and every time I play against this bad boy:

I think of you. I mixed up your names, and I cannot undo it. I am damaged goods at this point.

Zophie
04-27-2015, 03:26 PM
I've been stalking the forums for months, and every time I play against this bad boy:

I think of you. I mixed up your names, and I cannot undo it. I am damaged goods at this point.

Good catch, they mispelled Gwaer's name as "Gawaine" in pretty much every instance. We should probably submit a bug report to get this fixed.

funktion
04-27-2015, 04:41 PM
That set one review stream was incredibly fun. We need to do something dumb like that again!

Remember when I taught you what "A hand that Funktion would keep." looked like, those were good times... I may or may not have misread a couple of those cards.

havocattack
04-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Happy Birthday mate!

I have had so many great memories in hex already, so its very hard to pick just one... but I'll pick one from a draft since there is a recording. I had one game where I was against Hacky who was streaming at the time, possibly the best win I've done in a draft if not the game :)

You can watch his highlight here: http://www.twitch.tv/hackychannel/c/5331116

Skip to around 14 minutes and enjoy :D

Edit: The thing that makes it so good is that several things had to happen/fall into place for my plan to work.

Another awesome factor is Hacky puts me on 2hp (I only have a 3/1 and a 2/2 on board) and he is sitting at 20hp with heaps of troops and he says "Humour me, can you kill me in one turn" with the biggest grin on his face :D

Stok3d
04-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Happy Birthday & Love the cake! It's almost a shame to cut it up :)

Gwaer
04-27-2015, 06:11 PM
I've been enjoying this thread a great deal, but just to reiterate, this doesn't all need to be about me. Anyone is welcome to come and share a story that you like. I can feel the spirit of giving creeping up on me!

RobHaven
04-27-2015, 07:21 PM

I just went from six to midnight.

Gwaer
04-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Happy birthday! :)

Edit:
my favorit moment was definitly the 5000 post stream against ben.
"ben, i'm going to attack now" :D

I missed your edit! HAHAHA... Yea... that stream... I feel like it has been long enough now that I can say I didn't intend to stream that game when I challenged Ben. I just wanted to play a friendly game between us and fool around... The stream thing happened suddenly and unexpectedly, and was someone at HexEnt's idea. I don't really remember who. But I hope Ben at least had a little fun.

Also, My deck clearly wasn't janky enough and Ben really won by default. But that was Colin, and infam0usne0's fault in addition to my own. http://www.twitch.tv/gwaer/c/4732095 There's the link if anyone wants to check out me being a huge jerk to ben in front of everyone playing a hugely superior deck that had no jank, in a super jank challenge =P

Miyordon
04-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Happy birthday Gwaer.

nickon
04-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Now that's a birthday cake! :D

Gwaer
04-28-2015, 12:31 AM
Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. Excellent memories were jogged loose for me. I really enjoyed this. Thanks to some unexpected prize support I gave away quite a bit more than I anticipated. I appreciate each and every one of you right now. Even those of you who I don't always (or ever) see eye to eye with. These forums would be a very boring and unhelpful place without all of the different opinions and personalities that get bandied about. Thanks for making it an awesome journey. I look forward to the year ahead, and revisiting those new things, and these old things on future birthdays.

Zophie
04-28-2015, 12:40 AM
Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. Excellent memories were jogged loose for me. I really enjoyed this. Thanks to some unexpected prize support I gave away quite a bit more than I anticipated. I appreciate each and every one of you right now. Even those of you who I don't always (or ever) see eye to eye with. These forums would be a very boring and unhelpful place without all of the different opinions and personalities that get bandied about. Thanks for making it an awesome journey. I look forward to the year ahead, and revisiting those new things, and these old things on future birthdays.

http://i.imgur.com/lgOLWVu.jpg

poizonous
04-28-2015, 01:11 AM
My bad Gwaer, missed your Bday, Happy belated birthday man

Sparrow
04-28-2015, 05:47 AM
Happy b-day one day late!

I used to enjoy arguing with you (well, sometimes) on the forums (I am/was Xtopher). Forced me to be smarter and think before I posted instead of a knee jerk reaction. Hope this year is a good one for you.

Pheelon
04-28-2015, 05:53 AM
Happy (late) Birthday :)

szimek
04-28-2015, 06:19 AM
Happy B-day Gwaer ! a little bit late, but with the same strength and appreciation. I don't have my favourite "Gwaer's quote" or post, but that's because i find most of them interesting and/or funny. It's always fun and often informative to read them. Maybe Nicosharp's topic convinced me to jump on the Slacker Backer train, but you are one of the ppl, that hyped me to the level of "this grame is sooo aweeeesoooomeeee !!!! " and sealed the interest in HEX for me ;)

Oh, and i enjoyed the alpha set 1 review - for someone who haven't played TCGs before (in the scale that matters) it was really nice introduction to HEX and card rules.

KingGabriel
04-28-2015, 06:22 AM
I wondered why Boldheart had cake all around his face when he walked in...

RDarkfire
04-28-2015, 08:05 AM
Disclaimer : This is a total kiss-a$$ post to get free stuff. Although it is actually the truth as well.

My favourite Gwaer-moments are many -- it's when he makes posts that "just make sense", he does not blindly support the project when other folks of similar post-counts (we all know who they are) do. Often times many folks here bring up legitimate complaints, and it's really nice to see one of the "champion" posters actually listen to them, sometimes agree or sometimes disagree, but at least you know you read the name "Gwaer" on the message header section, you know you are going to get an honest, well-thought-out, non-trollish and non-white-knighting response.

Cheers!

Reckless
04-28-2015, 08:05 AM
Oh Gwaer i missed it too so all the best for your upcomming year and i hope you enjoyed your birthday :D
As you can see i'm not that often in this forum so i havent a special quote of you but your banner was one of the first i've seen here and you seem to be a great guy :)

EntropyBall
04-28-2015, 08:20 AM

If they were real friends, they wouldn't have used the old logo. :-p
We have almost the same birthday, as mine is today.
You also beat me (Silvanos) in the last VIP tournament, my only loss in a 3-1. I think it was the game where I almost timed out trying to figure out how to block an unexpected Onslaught attack. Filk Ape MVP.

KingGabriel
04-28-2015, 10:34 AM
If they were real friends, they wouldn't have used the old logo. :-p
We have almost the same birthday, as mine is today.
You also beat me (Silvanos) in the last VIP tournament, my only loss in a 3-1. I think it was the game where I almost timed out trying to figure out how to block an unexpected Onslaught attack. Filk Ape MVP.

You want them to use LESS icing? You monster :O