PDA

View Full Version : Fan Tournament

LeonKunChan
04-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Leon and I run a youtube channel that is about me running tournaments on different type of games. There are many people out there that wish to be in tournaments and win prizes by playing their favorite game. Ok, I will go straight to the point. I wonder if someone is intresting in joining my Hex TCG Fan tournament.
I haven't decided a date for it since I don't know if anyone is intresting. Here is little info of my tournament:
Game: Hex TCG
Starts On: DD/MM/YYYY (Haven't planned yet)
Start Time: 4:00 AM (Eu Time Zone)
Prize Pool: 1st -100$
Entry Fee: 3$
Slots: 0/50

If anyone is intresting, let me know
If this goes well, I might try to hold 2 tournaments each week if possible :rolleyes:

Kami
04-27-2015, 12:41 PM
You seem enthusiastic, great! However, considering it's your first post and you are asking people to join a buy-in tournament based on the reputation of an unknown person with a single post on these forums - that's asking a lot.

Additionally, with no information on tournament structure, no rules information, no sign-up information, and very little of anything else, it leads people to be highly skeptical of your intentions. (Nothing personal.)

Now I don't think you're the kind of guy to take the entry fees and run but one can never be sure on the anonymous internet.

Edit: Also, the fact the entry fee is $3 with a maximum player count of 50 means you earn a $50 profit either way. Considering that you only award $100 to first place and nothing else, how would you even determine first place given you have fifty players?

50 -> 25 -> 13/12?

Note that the tournament would break down unevenly.

plaguedealer
04-27-2015, 12:44 PM
What is the youtube channel you run?

LeonKunChan
04-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. It can be hard for me since they don't know about me and you know how it is now in the web by all the scammers. Everything is in beta and I can change some things to make it more better and fun for the players. I can agree with you about the 50$ profit seems... Meh -w-. But remember, I can change things around to make it work better. Thanks for telling me this, I will keep this in mind. I will give out more info of the tournament. (Forgot to put it in X3. My bad XP) Give me a sec and I will put it up

LeonKunChan
04-27-2015, 12:57 PM
UnOfficialTournament = https://www.youtube.com/user/UnOfficialTournament As you can see, it's pretty knew X3

Gwaer
04-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Pass on this. You should run some free to enter tournaments, and get your name out there before charging money. A brand new youtube channel with no videos or examples. There is already a free to enter tournament once a month provided by fiveshards.com with shoutcasting and way better prize support.

LeonKunChan
04-27-2015, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I know man. I will think about it
Thanks for telling me, I want to hear as much info as possible to make it better

LeonKunChan
04-27-2015, 01:07 PM
Yeah, fiveshards.com seems way better to host tournaments on HEX then I can do. Thanks everyone for telling me your opiniuns, I will keep this in mind and I hope that all of you can enjoy HEX. I maybe will come back one day, who knows X3. Anyway, thanks for letting me know. It will help me to make my youtube channel better and the tournaments

nicosharp
04-27-2015, 01:09 PM
It's quite easy to be very skeptical of a first post, no content backed offer to hand someone money in the hopes to win some.

Totally agree with comments above. Build a reputation first, which usually includes you giving things away for free. Packs/Plat/AA's/Cards. Create content. Become a pillar of the community.

A good example of this not working based on what has already been done: Hextechs.tv just had to close their doors. Basically they had 3+ tournaments first for free with prize pools, and then switched to a Plat Entry fee tournament. They ended up getting less players in the last two tournaments than their Prize pool was paying out. (This isn't why they closed their doors, but I'm sure it didn't help drive their interest to keep hosting)

Taking this to the next extreme and asking for cash can not only get the tournament host in trouble, but could look bad for the game, as it's condoned gambling.

A good example of this working would be fiveshards.com - and no paid entry fee tournament yet, but we may seem them here in the future. Likely plat entry fees before cash.

LeonKunChan
04-27-2015, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I agree with you man. That's why I asked if someone was intresting so I didn't go all out on it. Thanks for telling me man

funktion
04-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Well if it walks like a scam and quacks like a scam it must be legit right?

It's entirely possible that the OP is genuine and just hasn't put any thought into it yet whatsoever. I would really love to see more community events, lots more, but if you're earnest about doing this you're going about it all wrong.

Looks like he already took down the youtube channel.

nicosharp
04-27-2015, 03:13 PM
Well, it totally beat the Nigerian Prince Scam!

Stok3d
04-27-2015, 05:39 PM
Well, it totally beat the Nigerian Prince Scam!

Lots of positive feedback provided to OP. Before thread goes south... closing.