PDA

View Full Version : Here's a question: Why doesn't Hex offer monthly AA tourneys to spur participation?

OutlandishMatt
04-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Why doesn't Hex start doing weekend tournaments (outside VIP) to offer Alternate Art cards (commons for participation, uncommons for top finishers) with a monthly rotation? It could be attached to the Scheduled tournaments during the weekend and there would be enough opportunity that on no one should complain and it would only be an additional 12 commons, 12 uncommons alternate art cards every year that are added into circulation so collectors shouldn't complain too much.

I'm just trying to think of a way to spur the constructed and sealed scheduled events that isn't limited to a VIP program that is no longer available for new players. Maybe this was already discussed in the scheduled constructed topic or the 8 player sealed.

Matt

Gwaer
04-27-2015, 08:46 PM
It has been discussed a few times, and I kind of agree, they should probably allow buy ins to the current vip tournaments, or just scrap the old VIP now, refund people, turn their pack generation/tournament entry ticket into some other kind of reward, and start a new subscription service for AA tournaments. I think it's very safe to say that we will eventually see a subscription that includes a constructed tournament. They're just not ready to make that move yet.

The easiest reason to not just make a brand new tournament series that is separate from VIP, is just that art assets are one of the primary bottlenecks they have. Getting all the art is very difficult, getting even more art just compounds that issue. Plus there is an upper limit to how much AA they can have per set. You don't want every single card to have alternate art versions, because it actually works to make AA's less valuable and special, not to mention driving the price down on the original pieces.

magic_gazz
04-27-2015, 08:51 PM
Unless they were things like murder/burn, etc, I don't see them having much value.

If they don't have much value, then there is no real extra reason to enter the tournament. If there is no real extra reason to enter, they still will not fire.

Its a shame because I have kind of had to give up on hex at the moment due to the lack of anything to do.

OutlandishMatt
04-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Unless they were things like murder/burn, etc, I don't see them having much value.

You give them value by making them limited. Even Adamanthian Scrivner has value. And there are at least 12 commons and 12 uncommons a year that have value. There's still plenty that people would want if not for PvP then PvE.

nickon
04-27-2015, 10:57 PM
This again makes me excited for the new round of AA's for next month's VIP tournament :D The old ones are rotating out next month, right? :)

Cernz
04-27-2015, 11:01 PM
yes they should rotate out - there were always 2 vip constructed and 2 vip sealed weekends so far

magic_gazz
04-27-2015, 11:01 PM
You give them value by making them limited. Even Adamanthian Scrivner has value. And there are at least 12 commons and 12 uncommons a year that have value. There's still plenty that people would want if not for PvP then PvE.

People keep saying Scriv has value, yet to see a decent offer for my 45.

israel.kendall
04-28-2015, 03:06 AM
Why common and uncommons? They should give out Rares, replicate the proven success of VIP tourneys. Not the same Rares of course, but Rares.

strylght
04-28-2015, 03:15 AM
It has been discussed a few times, and I kind of agree, they should probably allow buy ins to the current vip tournaments, or just scrap the old VIP now, refund people, turn their pack generation/tournament entry ticket into some other kind of reward, and start a new subscription service for AA tournaments. I think it's very safe to say that we will eventually see a subscription that includes a constructed tournament. They're just not ready to make that move yet.

This. As a new player, I would pay in Plat to enter the VIPs, this weekend was the first one I experienced, and it was an exiting event. General buzzing with talk about it, streamers were talking about it. To me being part of an event like that is largely reward in itself, feeling more involved in a community.
Equally (and perhaps preferably), if VIP was scrapped and replaced with a new, similar, cash subscription, dependant on price (obviously), I would sign up in a heartbeat.

zadies
04-28-2015, 05:54 AM
they should probably allow buy ins to the current vip tournaments, or just scrap the old VIP now, refund people,.

So what you are saying is any time CZE makes an incontinent sale/promise they should scrap it... very bad precedent to set.

The old vip program would have been fine if the ToS was written correctly so they could have banned people that abused it originally.

They could implement the same vip program with the stipulation that it didn't allow for multiple accounts that were grandfathered in due to the last time it was offered and also include an amedium to the ToS of it that even grandfathered accounts could only have one account with it active and that all accounts belong to an individual would be banned if it was found that they had multiple Vip accounts active.

I actually like the idea of a semi abusable feature as long as they actually enforce the bans on accounts that comes with abusing it, it would provide an easy filter for people that may abuse other game features without reporting them.

KingGabriel
04-28-2015, 06:19 AM
I actually like the idea of a semi abusable feature as long as they actually enforce the bans on accounts that comes with abusing it, it would provide an easy filter for people that may abuse other game features without reporting them. (partial)
...So you agree it's abuse-able now?

YourOpponent
04-28-2015, 06:51 AM
To answer the OP's question it was originally on the to-do list. I don't know if it still is or isn't along with weekly tournaments with better rewards than the scheduled 128's.

Vorpal
04-28-2015, 08:10 AM
I think the simplest thing is to allow people to buy VIP tournament tokens and use that vehicle for AA's, rather than set up a competing alternate system.

Of course, the events they've done with the concubunny and scrivener were also AA rewarding events. I'm not sure how much of a burst of activity they provided though.

Yoss
04-28-2015, 08:36 AM
I've said before that non-VIP players should be able to join the VIP tournaments, just with higher cost. Maybe 1000p for Constructed and 800p (plus packs) for Sealed?

hex_colin
04-28-2015, 10:23 AM
Of course, the events they've done with the concubunny and scrivener were also AA rewarding events. I'm not sure how much of a burst of activity they provided though.

You can tell it was significant just by logging in and watching General Chat and the tournament queues. The place was buzzing all weekend... :)

Tazelbain
04-28-2015, 10:39 AM
I think just buying in to VIP tournaments would be kill the value of those AAs. I would make it contingent on winning constructed and sealed events. And I would give keys for VIP tokens to large, reputable player-run tournaments to give out as prizes.

Yoss
04-28-2015, 11:18 AM
I think just buying in to VIP tournaments would be kill the value of those AAs. I would make it contingent on winning constructed and sealed events. And I would give keys for VIP tokens to large, reputable player-run tournaments to give out as prizes.

There are many ways to skin a cat. :)

Fyren
04-28-2015, 11:50 AM
You can tell it was significant just by logging in and watching General Chat and the tournament queues. The place was buzzing all weekend... :)

Tripled my tournament participation that week. >.>;

Xenavire
04-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Tripled my tournament participation that week. >.>;

Only triple? I did 14x my normal weekly amount. (I usually do one weekly atm.)

The christmas and release events were worse, I did 18 in just one weekend, and the christmas event I did 36 drafts in 2 weeks.

zadies
04-28-2015, 12:43 PM

Not really it doesn't generate that many more cards per additional player.

...So you agree it's abuse-able now?

People who have multiple accounts per the ToS currently could in theory sign up for multiple new Vip projects if it wasn't explicit they couldn't and there would be people that would try to do it anyway to see if they caved from intent or actually enforced intent which they didn't the first time.

OutlandishMatt
04-28-2015, 09:42 PM
I don't know how they could distribute them fairly. Maybe make each account able to play in only one tournament a week by flagging the account? I wouldn't care if people abused it if the tournament had an entry fee attached to it because they're in essence spending money to play.

But I do think we need something other than limited VIP tournaments at a regular rate to draw in new players and bring back old players. People would play for any AA, we know this from Concubunny and Adamanthian Scrivner.

zadies
04-29-2015, 08:04 AM
Going to go out on a limb and say more people will play for 100k in paying tournaments then will play for aa cards... and that doesn't require waiting on art... the participation should go way up once they flesh out and release the qp.