PDA

View Full Version : Mercenary Missions

Zophie
04-28-2015, 11:58 AM
So I was thinking about how the PVE side of the game might look after the full dungeons and leveling systems are implemented, and it got me thinking a lot about how Mercenaries will fit into the whole picture. We have limited information right now on how everything is going to work, but one of the things we know so far (if it hasn't changed) is that Mercenaries will primarily be used as a sort of substitute champion in Dungeons, to swap in with a different deck during certain encounters that you might not be able to beat with your Champion's main deck. This is a neat concept, but what can we do with Mercenaries when they aren't in use?

What if you could send your Mercenaries out on special "missions" when you're not using them in a dungeon? These "Merc Quests" could have varying durations on them and chances of success, and if they are successful then at the end of the timer they will come back and provide a reward depending on the difficulty/time/rarity of the mission. Rewards could include gold, PVE cards, equipment, crafting materials/consumables, other Mercs, sleeves, etc. Players would have a limited number of active missions they can have at any given time, and as their champion levels up or other goals are met they can unlock additional slots. Using a system like this Mercs could be given a level, traits, and rarity that will impact their success at missions, and as they level up they might have access to more advanced missions with better rewards.

There are several MMOs on the market right now with a similar system in place that players generally enjoy. Star Trek Online's Duty Officer system (http://sto.gamepedia.com/Duty_officer), Neverwinter's profession system (http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Profession), World of Warcraft's Garrison Missions (http://wow.gamepedia.com/Garrison_Missions). Each of these games has their own style to this system, and I think Hex's Mercenaries would be a great fit for a similar type of system as well. Keep in mind we still don't have a lot of information on what PVE will end up looking like so perhaps this won't be relevant if the devs have other plans for Mercs, but I still think it's an interesting system to think about.

What do you guys think of this idea? Share your thoughts below! :cool:

-----
EDIT:

- Some good feedback on repetition/daily obligations - These concerns should be alleviated by attaching a crafting material/resource cost to initiating missions. Some other ideas are to make the mission timing mechanism based on completing encounters, instead of real time. For example you can only start a Merc Quest with a special material that drops from dungeons, and the Merc Quest only resolves after you've won X number of game matches.

- Another cool idea from AdamAoE2 is to have one of the rewards be a special Treasure Map or something that unlocks an exclusive PVE Encounter that you can then go and play against for a chance at more loot!

strylght
04-28-2015, 12:16 PM
hmm, Merceneraies as an idle minigame. It only really sounds worthwhile if there is some serious management strategy involved. But if there was serious management strategy, then yeah, sounds fun!

Zophie
04-28-2015, 12:20 PM
hmm, Merceneraies as an idle minigame. It only really sounds worthwhile if there is some serious management strategy involved. But if there was serious management strategy, then yeah, sounds fun!

Yeah I think it could really be an extra boon towards encouraging the collection of mercenaries as well. The strategy could be designed around what traits each merc carries with it, and deciding which ones you want to send on different missions depending on difficulty. If certain traits exist on the Mercs they have a better chance of success or maybe reducing the time of completion, and with limited mission slots available you'll need to decide which missions you want to invest time in.

Salverus
04-28-2015, 12:26 PM
It also motivates people to expand their collection and build more decks, since you need 1 deck yourself, 1 deck for the mercernary that assists you in the arena and another deck for the mercernary you send away on his travels.
I like the idea of also giving levels to the mercernaries so he becomes stronger the more he fights, but i do not like that the battle is done automatically without playing yourself, basically AI vs AI.

strylght
04-28-2015, 12:28 PM
This does seem like a good way to raise the value of Mercenaries. Also, an interesting choice would have to be made between selling off a new mercenary for a cash injection or keeping them around to generate a slow passive income.

EDIT: When I say passive, I mean a regular income dictated by your skill at managing the system.

AdamAoE2
04-28-2015, 12:30 PM
I'm probably the only one here, but after careful thought, I don't really like "idle missions". In WoW, it just became tedious and almost like another form of daily quest where I would HAVE to log in or I'd be "wasting" time. Wouldn't you rather be going on these awesome adventures as opposed to having Puck and Rakashani go kill the dragon for you?

I'm not so sure that mercenaries need a secondary function. If you really want to give them an extra purpose, there are a few functions where I feel they would work better. Maybe you can assign one as the Keep Defender for their "Keep Defense" system they talked about in the kickstarter, or maybe you can convert mercenaries into a PvE card form that you can use in your deck.

Honestly, the last thing I want to do when I log onto Hex is spend a half hour coordinating all of my mercenaries to go play Hex for me. ;)

strylght
04-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Wouldn't you rather be going on these awesome adventures as opposed to having Puck and Rakashani go kill the dragon for you?

The point in this is it doesn't stop you from playing Hex at the same time, so this point seems moot. Also, I think maybe you've fleshed out the idea too much in a particular direction. No-one has suggested you would have to spend half an hour on this every time you log in.

EDIT: Would just like to say I'm not convinced this is a good idea either, just furthering the discussion.

Zophie
04-28-2015, 12:38 PM
Honestly, the last thing I want to do when I log onto Hex is spend a half hour coordinating all of my mercenaries to go play Hex for me. ;)

That's a fair concern, but this type of system ideally should be something that can be managed fairly quickly in off time. I don't think we want the system to get so complex and time consuming that it takes away from the core PVE/PVP gameplay, but just something to mess with periodically in between matches or whatnot. In most other games that have this type of system you can easily set up your missions in less than a minute, maybe longer if you decide you want to put more thought into it or you're new to the system, but ultimately it should be a pretty low-impact activity.

AdamAoE2
04-28-2015, 12:42 PM
The point in this is it doesn't stop you from playing Hex at the same time, so this point seems moot. Also, I think maybe you've fleshed out the idea too much in a particular direction. No-one has suggested you would have to spend half an hour on this every time you log in.

EDIT: Would just like to say I'm not convinced this is a good idea either, just furthering the discussion.

In any game I've played that has had a similar system (SWTOR, WoW), I find that the system becomes repetitive and tedious. It eventually becomes a system where you are simply clicking a button and receiving free stuff. In WoW for example, my garrisons are min-maxed for gold and I get ~1500 gold a day per character simply to click a few buttons. It isn't particularly engaging gameplay, and I'd much rather be out and about in the world doing things as opposed to managing my garrison. If you tie any sort of benefit to mercenaries of this sort, it will pretty much became a mandatory feature for anybody looking to stay competitive in PvE.

Zophie
04-28-2015, 12:47 PM
What if there was a consumable cost to sending Mercs out on Missions, like Neverwinter has? You get resources from out in the world, and different missions require not only a Mercenary but also certain materials to qualify. This way you are only using the system after you've earned some materials through the core gameplay of crafting/quests/dungeons. It's no longer a mindless daily you feel obligated to log in to do, but rather a type of minigame reward system you get access to through normal gameplay.

AdamAoE2
04-28-2015, 12:48 PM
That's a fair concern, but this type of system ideally should be something that can be managed fairly quickly in off time. I don't think we want the system to get so complex and time consuming that it takes away from the core PVE/PVP gameplay, but just something to mess with periodically in between matches or whatnot. In most other games that have this type of system you can easily set up your missions in less than a minute, maybe longer if you decide you want to put more thought into it or you're new to the system, but ultimately it should be a pretty low-impact activity.

The game already has a ton of ways to get gold/value/items into the economy, do we really want one more semi-automatic way to do so? While I appreciate the idea of having mercenaries having additional functionality, I don't think this is necessarily a good way to do so. If you really want to do something like this, I would much rather have the system work where you send Puck on a mission, and he comes back with a treasure map which unlocks a PvE encounter you can take on with your deck. As opposed to just him coming back with the treasure already.

Zophie
04-28-2015, 12:50 PM
I would much rather have the system work where you send Puck on a mission, and he comes back with a treasure map which unlocks a PvE encounter you can take on with your deck.

I like that idea.

rjselzler
04-28-2015, 12:51 PM
I'm probably the only one here, but after careful thought, I don't really like "idle missions". In WoW, it just became tedious and almost like another form of daily quest where I would HAVE to log in or I'd be "wasting" time.

I like the idea generally, but this quote also highlights a serious concern. On one hand, there is a certain cool factor to earning a merc that does fun, flavorful "idle" stuff. Then there is the feeling that I am being punished for not logging in daily; that has pretty much made WoW a no-go for me (daily professions, daily follower stuff, daily everything--yuck).

I felt like SWTOR did this well in terms of crafting gathering and such. WoW's implementation seemed cool at first, but then became a huge turn off. I guess I am logging in to Hex daily anyway for my lotus, so I may as well send out a merc to do my bidding; hey, how about I task a merc with tending my gardens... :D

AdamAoE2
04-28-2015, 12:52 PM
What if there was a consumable cost to sending Mercs out on Missions, like Neverwinter has? You get resources from out in the world, and different missions require not only a Mercenary but also certain materials to qualify. This way you are only using the system after you've earned some materials through the core gameplay of crafting/quests/dungeons. It's no longer a mindless daily you feel obligated to log in to do, but rather a type of minigame reward system you get access to through normal gameplay.

That makes the system better, for sure. But I think it's just my personal preference where I should be rewarded for directly for my skill or gameplay as opposed to lucking out on a RNG-oriented mission or ability to match up a "mission symbol" like WoW.

What makes for a more compelling gameplay experience? Would you rather send Ashahsa into the Frost Ring Arena with a "68% chance" of success, or take your deck into the Frost Ring arena and battle it yourself? Remember, development of systems isn't free. If you spend time developing a system like this, it's going to take away from development time on other features like additional dungeons, raids, or other PvE experiences.

Zophie
04-28-2015, 12:55 PM
I like the idea generally, but this quote also highlights a serious concern. On one hand, there is a certain cool factor to earning a merc that does fun, flavorful "idle" stuff. Then there is the feeling that I am being punished for not logging in daily; that has pretty much made WoW a no-go for me (daily professions, daily follower stuff, daily everything--yuck).

Yeah I hear you there, I think adding a consumable cost to initiating Merc Quests would help alleviate these concerns, so it's more of a reward system for gathering items during normal gameplay, and it's not something you can just mindlessly repeat over and over every day.

strylght
04-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Adam, you're basically saying that all the things I fear may end up being true about this system probably will be. I've never played any of the other games mentioned in this thread, so my scepticism is raised by the the trepidation of those who have.

Zophie
04-28-2015, 01:00 PM
What makes for a more compelling gameplay experience? Would you rather send Ashahsa into the Frost Ring Arena with a "68% chance" of success, or take your deck into the Frost Ring arena and battle it yourself?

Ideally I would be doing both. I would have just beaten Dungeon X and the boss dropped a special hex fragment crafting material or whatever, and I could either use that to make some kind of consumable with it, or I could use it to pay for my Merc to go on a Merc Quest with a chance at a cooler reward. I choose to send the merc on the mission, and then I take my Champion with me to go farm the dungeon again while I wait. After beating the dungeon and coming back later I see my Merc has returned successful and hey look he found a treasure map to a special PVE encounter! I go and beat the encounter and get some cool rare equipment! SCORE!

Svenn
04-28-2015, 01:01 PM
As others have said, I don't like the idea of it being something you have to log in each day to do, or tied to real time in some way.

So, with that said, I would say do it like Monster Hunter does. It's not tied to real time... it's tied to what you do. When you finish a dungeon or 2, the merc mission finishes the mission you sent them on. No real time involved, no limits on when you can send them (only 1 on a mission at a time). It's just part of playing the game itself.

That being said, it's an additional thing to manage between dungeons, and stuff like that can get tedious.

Example:
You pick a merc and send him on a mission.
You go run 2 dungeons.
Your merc finishes his mission at the completion of your second dungeon, you get the rewards.
Repeat.

Zophie
04-28-2015, 01:10 PM
Example:
You pick a merc and send him on a mission.
You go run 2 dungeons.
Your merc finishes his mission at the completion of your second dungeon, you get the rewards.
Repeat.

I like that, having the timing mechanism tied to core gameplay is critical to avoiding the concerns of having to do repetitive dailies and feeling obligated to log in to get a reward handed to you with no effort. There needs to be a cost associated with using them that can only be obtained through gameplay, and I think the crafting system and the dungeon bosses/PVE quests will probably provide exactly what would be needed to satisfy those costs.

strylght
04-28-2015, 01:33 PM
Wouldn't a lot of the concerns about too much tedious busywork be solved by making these mercenary missions longer? What if they took a week? Or 20 games?

Yoss
04-28-2015, 02:20 PM
This idea reminds me of the treasure hunt system in Final Fantasy Tactics, where you'd send 3 of your party members off on a job that took X days (turns) before you could return to that map node and find out the results. Seems like a fun idea for Hex possibly.

I'm probably the only one here, but after careful thought, I don't really like "idle missions". In WoW, it just became tedious and almost like another form of daily quest where I would HAVE to log in or I'd be "wasting" time. Wouldn't you rather be going on these awesome adventures as opposed to having Puck and Rakashani go kill the dragon for you?

I'm not so sure that mercenaries need a secondary function. If you really want to give them an extra purpose, there are a few functions where I feel they would work better. Maybe you can assign one as the Keep Defender for their "Keep Defense" system they talked about in the kickstarter, or maybe you can convert mercenaries into a PvE card form that you can use in your deck.

I agree that the timers should not be real-time based, since that leads to it feeling like "daily" content. However, if you make it play-time based (e.g. number of PvE encounters completed), then it does not have that problem any more. (And reading onward to Svenn's post 18, he had the same idea.)

hey, how about I task a merc with tending my gardens... :D
Yes please! (I'm still hoping Gardens gain some mechanical change to not be a daily quest.)

Lafoote
04-28-2015, 10:04 PM
I enjoyed the whole 'War Table' in Dragon Age Inquisition. I'm open to the idea of having such a system, but the rewards would really have to be pretty paltry. You can't have idle quests bringing in big rewards if your active rewards are counted a few thousand gold an hour. Tiny bits of gold, with an occasional expendable dungeon/raid buff could be interesting though.

We still have the keep system to consider as well. Mercs could play a roll in that too. Each Merc could be assigned a passive power that augments your keep decks. Mixing and matching the active power of one merc/champ, with the passive of another could be interesting, and possibly help make up for AI deficiencies.

Ertzi
04-28-2015, 10:51 PM
I like the idea in general. Like Yoss said, it reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics franchise (DS version had it too), and this is never a bad thing. Funnily enough, though, I was not a fan of the system in either of these games, so the implementation would be critical.

First of all, like others have mentioned, the system could not be tied to log in times or real time in any way. This would instantly make it off-putting to me. I do like the idea of mercenaries having something else to do, and especially them gaining experience and levels through the process. Even if the rewards would be purely cosmetic (like mercenary extended art after a certain number of mission, or just a meaningless text on the double back), I would enjoy tinkering with the mercs a bit more, as currently you can only use them once in a dungeon I believe. That limits the interaction quite a bit. So a very cool idea, Zoph. Even though it has been done in other games before :)

I'm just throwing ideas out there now, but how about we make it location based? Meaning, you would be in the middle of a dungeon, and a text would pop up saying "You have found an interesting-looking side tunnel, but you do not have time to investigate yourself. Do you want to send a mercenary to explore?" With this system, there is nothing "idle" about it, as you absolutely needed to play the game yourself to even get the mission.

Then we could even take it a step further and make it a choice between the dungeon you are currently in and the mission, meaning you would have to send the mercenary you took with you on the dungeon on the mission, so he/she/it can never help you again during that run. Other possibility would be for you to require to give the mercenary some resources to take with him, which would reduce your own effectiveness in the dungeon, meaning you might need to remove some cards in your deck for the entire dungeon to give the mercenary as "backup", or you would have one card less in hand for the entire rest of the run. Something like this. I dunno, might be going too deep with it, I'm just spitballing here. Lots of room for creativity.

I would not be against the idea if done right though. Mercs currently feel a bit underwhelming. This can of course change at any time with a single announcement, but that is HEX :D

funktion
04-28-2015, 11:26 PM
Most of these systems just seem like daily / timed login rewards that are more cleverly disguised. I see em as habit building mechanisms being implemented into the game for a number of reasons.

I'm interested to hear from folks that would like to have these types of things:
-What do you feel it adds to the game?
-What do you feel it takes away from the game?
-What would you like the rewards to be?
-It might be right for some games / genres, what makes you feel it is right for this one?

Myself? I feel like that if the goal is to create genuinely entertaining gameplay that these systems take away from it and are often implemented into games that have passed the peak in their life cycle.

Gwaer
04-29-2015, 12:16 AM
If you don't like the idea of daily tending your lotus garden, I'll happily purchase your lotus gardens from you yoss, and even could arrange to send you a few petals. Personally I am pro-intelligent-daily content, so I like the idea of anything that entices players to make Hex a part of their daily schedules. Merc missions, daily quests, whatever as long as they are implemented well.

For example, and this is just spitballing, I'd prefer a daily system that let you build up charges every day you log in, and choose when to spend those charges over a system that just counts up to rarer rewards. I'm not a huge fan of "login streaks" like warframe or smite. But I do like the idea of league of legends daily win, or a system based on my first example.

The biggest pitfall for merc missions at a glance would be every merc having a different mission. The KS mercs might imbalance a system like that, especially if you can choose to send all your mercs off. People with access to KS mercs will always have more mercs to send in a given timeframe. If the missions are different for every merc, I feel like you have to make sure the KS mercs are bad for this purpose.

I really like the idea of mercs providing access to special dungeons that you actually have to run yourself for a reward, though.

Zophie
04-29-2015, 12:39 AM
The biggest pitfall for merc missions at a glance would be every merc having a different mission. The KS mercs might imbalance a system like that, especially if you can choose to send all your mercs off. People with access to KS mercs will always have more mercs to send in a given timeframe. If the missions are different for every merc, I feel like you have to make sure the KS mercs are bad for this purpose.

I definitely agree about this, I don't think there should be any missions exclusive to any specific mercs, but instead have a more open system that gives you selection of missions based on your merc's level, and bases your success chance based on aspects of that merc like level/rarity/traits. Multiple mercs will carry the same traits, and there would be a mix to choose from, but none of the traits would be exclusive to any one merc. There could even be consumables from the crafting system that let you "respec" your merc's traits, or increase their rarity and stuff like that.

LNQ
04-29-2015, 03:50 AM
I don't like any feature that is essentially a daily / timed reward system. Thinking about alternatives, one idea came to mind:

You have a few slots that you can put mercenaries in, where they can be set to do several different types of things, for example:
- Treasure Hunting
- Tavern hopping
- Questing
- Harvesting

Each of different type of task gives different rewards: Treasure hunting has a chance of giving loot once every X time, Tavern hopping can provide information (PvE quests you can complete yourself), Questing can increase your relationship with different PvE factions, Harvesting can provide crafting materials.

This would be a completely passive system, where the rewards accumulate whether you log in or not. They would keep performing the task until you order them to stop. However, there would be a chance that your mercenary might die or be lost with some other explanation (and maybe they would also cost gold at a steady rate?) whenever they are performing a task. So you always run a risk of losing your mercs while doing this. This would also be a good way to keep the demand for mercenaries alive as they would not be forever yours if you risk them on the missions.

Worth considering is the possibility of maybe being able to give equipment (or even cards / decks) for mercenaries when they perform tasks. These could boost rewards or have other effects, but would also mean that if the merc is lost you lose the equipment too.

I don't know whether different mercs should have different success rates in the tasks, this could be limited to something like rarity determining the efficiency of the merc and maybe the faction of the merc affecting rewards they can get.

Ertzi
04-29-2015, 04:32 AM
I don't ever want to lose a mercenary because of a mission. I would prefer no missions to that. People would just use the most common mercenaries and the more expensive and rare ones - you know, the ones you really want to play with - would just collect dust in our collections.

Salverus
04-29-2015, 04:41 AM
mercernaries dont disappear if they lose a fight.....
at least i hope so.....

LNQ
04-29-2015, 06:32 AM
I don't ever want to lose a mercenary because of a mission. I would prefer no missions to that. People would just use the most common mercenaries and the more expensive and rare ones - you know, the ones you really want to play with - would just collect dust in our collections.

That's kind of the point of the idea. The rare expensive mercs you want to play with you use mostly in your PvE games, where you can actively use them and there wouldn't be any risk in losing them there.

The cheaper ones or ones you don't care about losing you can send off to the passive missions. Otherwise the bad mercenaries will not be used at all and they will collect dust. I don't think the valuable and fun to play with mercs would ever collect dust no matter what the system.

Patrigan
04-29-2015, 07:39 AM
Why not have Mercenary missions be something like the current starter trials. No real map, or special effects, just a bunch of battles that you need to win with your mercenary deck.

That way you get to play your mercenary more than just a couple of times in a dungeon.

strylght
04-29-2015, 07:54 AM
Why not have Mercenary missions be something like the current starter trials. No real map, or special effects, just a bunch of battles that you need to win with your mercenary deck.

That way you get to play your mercenary more than just a couple of times in a dungeon.

This is kind of a completely different idea to the passive management minigame originally suggested.
No less valid an idea though.

EDIT: Can anyone link me to some released info about Keeps?

Lafoote
04-29-2015, 08:12 PM
That's kind of the point of the idea. The rare expensive mercs you want to play with you use mostly in your PvE games, where you can actively use them and there wouldn't be any risk in losing them there.

The cheaper ones or ones you don't care about losing you can send off to the passive missions. Otherwise the bad mercenaries will not be used at all and they will collect dust. I don't think the valuable and fun to play with mercs would ever collect dust no matter what the system.

There is no merc "I don't care about losing."

vickrpg
04-30-2015, 12:45 PM
I would much rather have the system work where you send Puck on a mission, and he comes back with a treasure map which unlocks a PvE encounter you can take on with your deck. As opposed to just him coming back with the treasure already.
I like this idea a lot, but this is how I would tweak/lore it:
You can choose to send any of your mercs on a mission it takes X encounters for them to return. Each mission has listed rewards. When your merc returns he "Reports" what happens. The report then starts a string of encounters that narrates how he got (or failed to get) said rewards, and you must play the entire string of missions with the mercenary deck you selected for that mercenary (you are effectively playing through his report.) These encounters don't have to be full on matches either, they can be short for small rewards or dotted with puzzles or specific win conditions for the encounter.
EG: Pirate Treasure. Reward X Gold
"I had no trouble finding the buried treasure, unfortunately it came with buried pirates!" Triggers an encounter with our merc and an undead pirate captain, 10 health, but he starts with 3 troops from his crew in play. If your mert (you) wins the encounter, then he gets the reward, if not, he retreats and doesn't go into the other encounters.

Zophie
04-30-2015, 12:51 PM
"I had no trouble finding the buried treasure, unfortunately it came with buried pirates!"

+1 for Tunneling Pirates

incitfulmonk21
04-30-2015, 02:13 PM
You can choose to send any of your mercs on a mission it takes X encounters for them to return. Each mission has listed rewards. When your merc returns he "Reports" what happens. The report then starts a string of encounters that narrates how he got (or failed to get) said rewards, and you must play the entire string of missions with the mercenary deck you selected for that mercenary (you are effectively playing through his report.) These encounters don't have to be full on matches either, they can be short for small rewards or dotted with puzzles or specific win conditions for the encounter.
"I had no trouble finding the buried treasure, unfortunately it came with buried pirates!" Triggers an encounter with our merc and an undead pirate captain, 10 health, but he starts with 3 troops from his crew in play. If your mert (you) wins the encounter, then he gets the reward, if not, he retreats and doesn't go into the other encounters.

While not a fan of time managment sims which is at least mostly what has been suggested in this thread I do like the idea of sending a merc out and then a minigame/encounters with just the merc and its deck.

I would support a more fleshed out system like vikrpg's.

Xenavire
04-30-2015, 04:45 PM
Hey, heres a fun one - what if you could send your mercs to fight other mercs? You get your merc, with their deck, you pay a small gold fee, and they get randomly matched up in an AI vs AI match. Winner brings home spoils of war, and you get a neat replay to watch.

Svenn
04-30-2015, 07:35 PM
Hey, heres a fun one - what if you could send your mercs to fight other mercs? You get your merc, with their deck, you pay a small gold fee, and they get randomly matched up in an AI vs AI match. Winner brings home spoils of war, and you get a neat replay to watch.
PokeMercs!?

strylght
05-01-2015, 02:20 AM

I would love to have end-user designable AI through some sort of simple scripting language so we could have AI design competitions like in StarCraft. A boy can dream!

On the subject of Mercs, I do like the idea of using them as framing for mini-challenges. One-turn chess puzzle type things and the like.

FoundInTheFlood
05-01-2015, 10:13 AM

Like!

LNQ
05-01-2015, 01:53 PM
I like vickrpg's idea too. I also really like the idea of the missions ticking when you play an encounter! That's a great way to reward for activity. Much better than my idea.

Vorpal
05-01-2015, 02:56 PM
Maybe you could loan out mercenaries and their decks to other players, like the pawn system in dragon's dogma.

Could help new players who don't have a pricey deck for certain pve encounters!