PDA

View Full Version : Voice Acting: Do we want it? Who should have it? Champions? Mercs? PvE only?

OutlandishMatt
04-28-2015, 10:12 PM
So we kicked around the idea of voice acting on our most recent episode of Threshold: The Hex Podcast (http://www.thresholdpodcast.com/threshold-episode-78-voices-of-the-community/) (Shameless Plug) and it sparked an interesting discussion. I would love to get community feedback on the idea.

With Hex focusing on being different from a standard tcg shouldn't we start to break away from the norm? I think voice acting would be a great addition! If Hex Entertainment really wants to immerse me in their world while playing PvE I would love for a few lines of dialog to come from my opponent during a match when something happens. A charge power is used. Certain amount of damage is inflicted. A particular key card is played.

How does everyone else feel about voice acting and how do you think it will help or hurt Hex?

Matt

Yoss
04-28-2015, 10:13 PM
More Ben Stoll, please.

Rycajo
04-28-2015, 10:20 PM
I think Hex already would like more polish like voice acting - but they understand they need features even more. We already have some come-in-to-play sounds, but I imagine we will get more.

They could even make sounds customizable/equipable. Then different alternate voices (AV) could dropped from chests. They are going to need all sorts of nifty things to give us in chests and from dungeons. This could be a thing.

RCDv57
04-28-2015, 10:27 PM
If they did want to work on a feature like this I'd love to audition.
Not that I have any experience or skill as a voice actor, but I have a decent Mic and a knack for voices.

israel.kendall
04-28-2015, 10:37 PM
Yes please, Christopher Walken and William Shatner.

Zophie
04-28-2015, 10:41 PM
If they don't have voice acting, maybe they could at least put some hooks in the code to look for compliant audio files in whatever directory, like an audio mod pack, so that the community can come up with their own voice acting mods to add into their own clients if they want :)

Nero_Jinous
04-28-2015, 10:44 PM
Where do we apply?

Skirovik
04-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Yes please! :D

Gwaer
04-28-2015, 10:55 PM
A ton of this community has excellent recording setups for streaming and whatnot. I'd throw some pro pono publico voice acting down.

KingGabriel
04-28-2015, 10:57 PM
Ben stoll or riot!

Zophie
04-28-2015, 11:13 PM
We should put together audio dramas set in the Hex world and like act out stories like a radio play. That could be really fun I think.

I have a studio mic and a TC Helicon VoiceLive processor I can mess with my vocals a lot for different characters.

KingGabriel
04-28-2015, 11:18 PM
We should put together audio dramas set in the Hex world and like act out stories like a radio play. That could be really fun I think.

I have a studio mic and a TC Helicon VoiceLive processor I can mess with my vocals a lot for different characters.
Pretending to be the king is treason. :O

Zophie
04-29-2015, 12:27 AM

I guess you would know :p

#NotMyKing

Thepsis
04-29-2015, 01:36 AM
+1 for community driven voice packs!

Plain Hex should not waste resources on voice acting but hooks for mods would be great.

ossuary
04-29-2015, 04:50 AM

How'd you become king, then? I didn't vote for you.

strylght
04-29-2015, 05:16 AM
What follows is my personal opinion about voice acting.

I would not necessarily be entirely happy about conversations and encounters being forcibly voice acted. I'm a reader and I'm one of those people who can't really stomach films based on the books I love. Part of the immersion into dialogue and narrative for me is using my imagination. If the sound of a characters voice or the cadence of their speech is forced upon me, well, its one more thing that may ruin the immersion if I don't agree with the thematic choices made.
Also, it can be downright annoying to have to wait for audio to finish before moving on when I could have gained the same amount or perhaps more immersion from reading at my own pace.
Furthermore, employing voice acting and implementing the feature costs time and money. When it comes down to choices like "more cards or voice acting" or "better server infrastructure or voice acting" the choice, to me, is clear.
I understand that CZE is striving to innovate within the TCG paradigm and am excited to see all the ways in which the manage to do this but I feel that epic background art, detailed and thematic character art, quality dynamic and thematic music and precisely constructed text would contribute far more to an immersive story and resources should be prioritized to these aspects. AAA style polish is not the kind of innovation I would like to see although I suppose it would lead to a larger playerbase, increasing the amount of money CZE have to spend on all aspects of design.
I am, however, an advocate for as much end-user modification as is fair and viable. So community created voice-overs seem like a win-win solution to me.
[/personalopinion]

I understand that I am likely part of a tiny minority when it comes to this issue.

Xenavire
04-29-2015, 05:21 AM
What follows is my personal opinion about voice acting.

I would not necessarily be entirely happy about conversations and encounters being forcibly voice acted. I'm a reader and I'm one of those people who can't really stomach films based on the books I love. Part of the immersion into dialogue and narrative for me is using my imagination. If the sound of a characters voice or the cadence of their speech is forced upon me, well, its one more thing that may ruin the immersion if I don't agree with the thematic choices made.
Also, it can be downright annoying to have to wait for audio to finish before moving on when I could have gained the same amount or perhaps more immersion from reading at my own pace.
Furthermore, employing voice acting and implementing the feature costs time and money. When it comes down to choices like "more cards or voice acting" or "better server infrastructure or voice acting" the choice, to me, is clear.
I understand that CZE is striving to innovate within the TCG paradigm and am excited to see all the ways in which the manage to do this but I feel that epic background art, detailed and thematic character art, quality dynamic and thematic music and precisely constructed text would contribute far more to an immersing story and resources should be prioritized to these aspects. AAA style polish is not the kind of innovation I would like to see.
I am, however, an advocate for as much end-user modification as is fair and viable. So community created voice-overs seem like a win-win solution to me.
[/personalopinion]

I understand that I am likely part of a tiny minority when it comes to this issue.

Honestly, even if this was officially implemented by HexEnt, chances are they would have an option in the settings to disable all voices. I do agree that having some sort of mod set-up would be the easiest route, but that low hanging fruit may be hard to implement (I mean, is the structure already in the client? I doubt it, and would tinkering with it be against the ToS? At the moment, it seems likely.)

If this someday becomes a thing though? I wouldn't mind it, assuming we have some quality voices for the job. (Mine, sadly, does not qualify in the slightest.)

Tazelbain
04-29-2015, 05:25 AM
No. But I like to see mod support so the community could create dialogue.

strylght
04-29-2015, 05:43 AM
Honestly, even if this was officially implemented by HexEnt, chances are they would have an option in the settings to disable all voices.

Having it optional is all well and good and I considered adding a sentence to my post advocating it. It does, however, run counter to my point about the prioritizing of resources so I left it out.
Of course if it were implemented and optional I would play every encounter with it on first. It would feel disrespectful to CZEs vision if they felt it was worth spending the money on and I never gave it a chance. Voice acting and the curating of it is art after all, regardless of my opinion of it.

plaguedealer
04-29-2015, 05:50 AM
I am fine with voice acting for pve. However I do not want it in pvp, it is annoying in Hearthstone and serves no purpose.

Xenavire
04-29-2015, 05:51 AM
I am fine with voice acting for pve. However I do not want it in pvp, it is annoying in Hearthstone and serves no purpose.

Agreed - or at least have it as optional (as I mentioned above.)

For PvE I would probably run with voices on, PvP off for sure.

strylght
04-29-2015, 05:59 AM

Ugh, yeah. I hate the opening soundbites in Hearthstone. I wouldn't say the same thing to every person I played a game against in person, I would annoy the hell out of people!

vickrpg
04-29-2015, 06:13 AM
Voice acting, yes please.

If they did want to work on a feature like this I'd love to audition.
Not that I have any experience or skill as a voice actor, but I have a decent Mic and a knack for voices.
Same for me. I don't have much voice acting experience, but I do speak on stage fairly often. Where do I sign up?

Yo, this is a frickin amazing Idea. let's set this up. I'd love to audition.

If they don't have voice acting, maybe they could at least put some hooks in the code to look for compliant audio files in whatever directory, like an audio mod pack, so that the community can come up with their own voice acting mods to add into their own clients if they want :)
More awesome.

Everything of course, after some PVE and chest opening is out. 'cause as awesome as all of these Ideas are, they do take time and money to implement, and we're a bit behind shcedule already. I'd like to have a guild before these, too.

Ugh, yeah. I hate the opening soundbites in Hearthstone. I wouldn't say the same thing to every person I played a game against in person, I would annoy the hell out of people!
I actually kind of like them. "Let the Paaaaain speak to me!"

Fyren
04-29-2015, 06:58 AM

Really? I actually find it adds a lot of character to the whole thing, done right.

Hearthstone, whatever its mechanical inadequacies, has to my mind been utterly stellar in terms of presentation from one end to the other, and the sound bites have been no small part of that. They stick out to the mind as iconic to their cards, often to the point where the sound bites are often used in community conversations in place of the names of the actual cards. (e.g. Taz'dingo and Ha Haaa!) And I kind of miss that.

I'm not necessarily saying Hex needs to; It would need to be good, or at least enjoyably hammy, and mediocre voice work would get cringeworthy fast. Voice acting and sound work like Hearthstone's for every single card in a set much smaller than Hex's likely didn't come cheap.

I'm just saying that from my perspective Hearthstone sure as hell didn't do it wrong.

strylght
04-29-2015, 07:23 AM
I do think there is a pleasant overall synergy to Hearthstones design and of course that comes with the territory of a game by a giant like Blizzard.
I also agree to some extent about the CARD soundbites, it does add aural identity to them. What I was referring to specifically was the soundbites from the champions, that play at the beginning of the match.

plaguedealer
04-29-2015, 07:48 AM
As long as someone cannot spam "thank you" in a pvp match I am fine. I really don't think giving players a ability to activate a sound bite is a good use of resources.

Scammanator
04-29-2015, 08:17 AM
How many languages does Hex support? Wouldn't every line need to be recorded in each language?

KingGabriel
04-29-2015, 10:10 AM
How many languages does Hex support? Wouldn't every line need to be recorded in each language?
Unless you want to put it in sim-lish or use sound effects as we do now. I think what people are missing here are card generators - battle hopper will probably make a noise that is very annoying after a while.

Fyren
04-29-2015, 10:28 AM
I do think there is a pleasant overall synergy to Hearthstones design and of course that comes with the territory of a game by a giant like Blizzard.
I also agree to some extent about the CARD soundbites, it does add aural identity to them. What I was referring to specifically was the soundbites from the champions, that play at the beginning of the match.

Apologies, early-morning reading comprehension fail!

Yoss
04-29-2015, 11:36 AM
Unless you want to put it in sim-lish or use sound effects as we do now. I think what people are missing here are card generators - battle hopper will probably make a noise that is very annoying after a while.

Oh, I wasn't thinking voices as sound bites. I was thinking for cut scenes in PvE.

Zophie
04-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Oh, I wasn't thinking voices as sound bites. I was thinking for cut scenes in PvE.

Same here, but I don't mind sound bites for card plays too, though I think I'd prefer non-speaking sound bites for that in most cases, like we currently have.

RCDv57
04-29-2015, 11:46 AM
Sounds like there is a lot of interest in the community to participate.
Maybe Phenteo, or someone from the forums could throw together an unofficial mini-contest.
I'd be willing to host it but I'm probably not qualified to do so, and I kinda want to participate.

Gwaer
04-29-2015, 12:12 PM
Don't like the idea of a contest for this so much.

RCDv57
04-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Don't like the idea of a contest for this so much.

Maybe contest is the wrong word for it.
But I was thinking of like an event where many auditions / takes are collected and at the end a Highlight reel is made.

Gwaer
04-29-2015, 12:20 PM
Ah, yea. That could be cool. Just showcasing some community talent. We (as a community) should be able to organize something like that without much trouble.

RCDv57
04-29-2015, 12:38 PM
I really want to someone attempt to read this (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=42396)

Deathlock
04-29-2015, 12:41 PM
Oh yeah. I want voice acting to be implemented in HEX (especially pve) very much. It is an important thing that could be a huge part of the game atmosphere.

Zophie
04-29-2015, 12:44 PM
I really want to someone attempt to read this (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=42396)

Hmm, I will definitely take a stab at this, but don't know how soon, I'll keep you posted.

Drake6k
04-29-2015, 01:43 PM
Start the game already!
Start the game already!
Start the game already!
Start the game already!
Start the game already!
Gold please.
Yes.
All hail, king of the losers!
All hail, king of the losers!
Start the game already!
Monk! I need a monk!
No.

Sorry (Age of Empires 2 joke).

In all seriousness, I don't really like voice acting in games. I think my preference for text comes from a love for older RPGs. I wouldn't mind a few clips here and there, but I don't want an old wizard reading every line of text in the PVE campaign.

Zophie
04-29-2015, 01:54 PM
I loved in Warcraft 2 when I queued up a bunch of barracks making Archers all at once, and they'd all pop out in rapid succession saying "I come, I come, I come, I come, I come, I come, I come, I come, I come to serve."

Sorry, my mind is permanently in the gutter.

strylght
04-29-2015, 04:25 PM
As children me and my sister would have hours of fun imitating the priests from the first Age of Empires game.

Weird how a Youtube troll video can remind you so strongly of your childhood. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq__sCfpqvA)

Also, I definitely did this! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IgAVQdHJQ4)

YourOpponent
04-29-2015, 06:49 PM
I vote for Ben Stoll and Felecia Day for voice acting. Maybe Sean Connery too, because it's freaking Sean Connery!

Phenteo
04-29-2015, 07:07 PM
I vote for Ben Stoll and Felecia Day for voice acting. Maybe Sean Connery too, because it's freaking Sean Connery!

Pay the costs to get Felicia Day and Sean Connery and done!

nicosharp
04-29-2015, 07:11 PM
I guess we can settle for Ben Stoll, a random old man from Europe, and a cheap local Ginger.

Gwaer
04-29-2015, 07:38 PM
My beard is a ginger, it will do the part of felicia day. She has touched my beard, and it consumed a portion of her power.

Edswor
04-29-2015, 11:02 PM
I think some sort of spoken phrases could spice the game (and as always with an option to turn them off).

RCDv57
04-29-2015, 11:40 PM
My beard is a ginger, it will do the part of felicia day. She has touched my beard, and it consumed a portion of her power.

Me too, but with that other guy, and my beard isn't a ginger, and I've never met Sean Connos either, and I sound nothing like him.

warstriker
04-30-2015, 08:22 AM

They support 7 languages at this moment and they may support more in the future. Every VO would need to be recorded in every language which means an enormous amount of work and money spending. They could do it but I would recommend only using it for champions or PVE content, unless Hex becomes extremely popular (which we all hope) and they can effort spending a lot more resources on stuff like this.

vickrpg
04-30-2015, 09:34 AM

As someone who constantly plays Japanese region games (both from Japan and the US) And Latin America region games (from the US, Japan and latin america) I can tell you that this is a non-issue. MOST voice acting isn't translated, some is. and it is usally appreciated/cool when the original voices are left in the original language. Especially in games like this. People who read card text are not usually opposed to reading subtitles. Same for RPG players for that matter. Heck, I've seen people REQUEST the original language voices after companies spent time and money on localized VO. Especially when the original language is English/Japanese, people tend to think they sound cooler. I definitely do, as my personal opinion as that I've never heard a decent Spanish dub in my life, and I grew up speaking it.

Zophie
04-30-2015, 10:25 AM
As someone who constantly plays Japanese region games (both from Japan and the US) And Latin America region games (from the US, Japan and latin america) I can tell you that this is a non-issue. MOST voice acting isn't translated, some is. and it is usally appreciated/cool when the original voices are left in the original language. Especially in games like this. People who read card text are not usually opposed to reading subtitles. Same for RPG players for that matter. Heck, I've seen people REQUEST the original language voices after companies spent time and money on localized VO. Especially when the original language is English/Japanese, people tend to think they sound cooler. I definitely do, as my personal opinion as that I've never heard a decent Spanish dub in my life, and I grew up speaking it.

Agreed, I love leaving the original Japanese voice overs on when they are available. It just feels more authentic to me than most English dubs do.

Freebird_Falcon
04-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Some Logan Cunningham would be sweeeet (narrator in Bastion)

YourOpponent
04-30-2015, 12:21 PM

Maybe I just don't understand your personality, but I did take that post of yours to be rude. Hopefully you meant it as a positive post though otherwise I'd be highly disturbed that a Community Manager would say such a thing when a person from the community was trying to help bounce around ideas to help get things stimulated.

Xenavire
04-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Maybe I just don't understand your personality, but I did take that post of yours to be rude. Hopefully you meant it as a positive post though otherwise I'd be highly disturbed that a Community Manager would say such a thing when a person from the community was trying to help bounce around ideas to help get things stimulated.

Dude, lighten up, it was clearly a good-humoured joke. It's like saying you could eat a horse, and I say 'OK, I'll take the jockey' - totally nothing serious about it. :p

Zophie
04-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Hopefully you meant it as a positive post

I'm certain it was meant as a positive.

On that note, I'm guessing Felicia Day might be a little cheaper to sign than Sean Connery, however she might have contracts with HASBRO/WOTC for her work with MTG promotions that might cause issues in obtaining her talents for HexTCG though.

YourOpponent
04-30-2015, 12:46 PM
Also keep in mind not everybody needs paid in cash. Some people would gladly be paid in terms of things such as platinum in game or receiving an AA once a season or something about that. Which can also cut down costs for corporation if money is tight.

hex_colin
04-30-2015, 12:50 PM

Wait, I don't sound enough like Sean Connery? ;) And I'd work for cheap obviously...

Trynyty
05-01-2015, 10:18 AM
Get Morgan Freeman and the Heavy from TF2!

plaguedealer
05-01-2015, 10:47 AM
James Earl Jones would be my pick for paladin of necropolis. Mark Hamill can do the voice for the shin'hare.

RCDv57
05-01-2015, 11:08 AM
James Earl Jones would be my pick for paladin of necropolis. Mark Hamill can do the voice for the shin'hare.

Mark can also be the Necrotic. Mark could also voice the Vennon. And the Orcs. And the Humans. And the Elfs. And the Dwarfs. And the Coyotle. And the Primals. And Princess Cory.

plaguedealer
05-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Yea Mark Hamill would epic. There will probably not be a better Joker voice in my lifetime.

Zophie
05-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Mark can also be the Necrotic. Mark could also voice the Vennon. And the Orcs. And the Humans. And the Elfs. And the Dwarfs. And the Coyotle. And the Primals. And Princess Cory.

OMG just imagined Princess Cory laughing like the Joker...

nicosharp
05-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Yea Mark Hamill would epic. There will probably not be a better Joker voice in my lifetime.

Psychotic Anarchist comes to mind.

RCDv57
05-01-2015, 01:22 PM
OMG just imagined Princess Cory laughing like the Joker...

You know they both are really into the whole chaos thing.

strylght
05-01-2015, 02:47 PM
I believe that job was offered to Tim Curry first. There's a what-if for you. Maybe I'm a biased Brit but I love Tim Curry and would love to hear a Tim Curry Joker. :)

Don't want to sound like I'm dissing Hamill though. His Joker is iconic and he is a phenomenally talented voice actor.

YourOpponent
05-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Wait, I don't sound enough like Sean Connery? ;) And I'd work for cheap obviously...

There we go! To quote Harry Potter 'Mischief managed.'

Banquetto
05-03-2015, 09:12 PM
All I would say is, if there must be voice acting, put it lower on the priority list than all the dozens of features which were promised in the Kickstarter but have not even been started work on yet.

OutlandishMatt
05-03-2015, 10:51 PM
All I would say is, if there must be voice acting, put it lower on the priority list than all the dozens of features which were promised in the Kickstarter but have not even been started work on yet.

I honestly don't see how it would eat up any feature development time as it's just audio queues and the audio work shouldn't take away from coding.

RCDv57
05-03-2015, 11:27 PM
I honestly don't see how it would eat up any feature development time as it's just audio queues and the audio work shouldn't take away from coding.

Adding in (good) voice acting is far from easy.
I don't know much about the specifics but I do know that a lot more goes into it than you would think.

Ertzi
05-04-2015, 12:50 AM
I believe that job was offered to Tim Curry first. There's a what-if for you. Maybe I'm a biased Brit but I love Tim Curry and would love to hear a Tim Curry Joker. :)

Just wanted to say that Tim Curry is scary as f**k as Pennywise the Clown in It. The visual effects look laughable now, but I was scared shitless as a child when watching that movie. Yes, I have great parents :D

strylght
05-04-2015, 02:28 AM

Commissioning voice actors costs money and we all know time is money!
(what I mean to say is, if you're paying voice actors you ain't paying coders or artists.)

Also...

Just wanted to say that Tim Curry is scary as f**k as Pennywise the Clown in It. The visual effects look laughable now, but I was scared shitless as a child when watching that movie. Yes, I have great parents :D

My partner has a deeprooted and pathological fear of clowns as a result of that film.
But we also have a deeprooted and pathological love for Dr. Frank N. Furter. :D