PDA

View Full Version : Contest open to US and Canadian residents only....

primer
05-01-2015, 04:20 PM
"Set 3: Armies of Myth Flavor Text Contest
Official Rules

2. Eligibility. Contest is open to US and Canadian residents only excluding Quebec residents and void where prohibited elsewhere. Rules governing contests with or without entry fees are established by individual states."

North American and EU walled garden.... Two of the biggest Hex streamers are English and German.

havocattack
05-01-2015, 04:22 PM
:( my entry is super good too <_>

Bmon
05-01-2015, 04:23 PM
From the New Keywords! thread, pg. 4:

Unfortunately, we can only run it in US/Canada (Excluding Quebec and certain States in the US where VOID). Gameforge will be running this contest in their regions/territories in the near future. So stay tuned for that.

There's probably a legal reason why this first contest is limited to US/Canada. I don't think HexEnt would wall off a competition like this willingly.

primer
05-01-2015, 04:27 PM
There's probably a legal reason why this first contest is limited to US/Canada. I don't think HexEnt would wall off a competition like this willingly.

Yeah, maybe. The page of rules seem OTT for a little competition. There are less conditions on my sports betting site :/

KarlMalone
05-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Apparently Gameforge will be handling the non US/Canada folks for contract reasons.

Shivdaddy
05-01-2015, 06:08 PM
People complaining about this issue every time they get a chance is getting old. Legal issues! We have enough of those already don't we?

Xenavire
05-01-2015, 06:47 PM
People complaining about this issue every time they get a chance is getting old. Legal issues! We have enough of those already don't we?

I dunno, people have a right to complain when (on the surface) it seems like the playerbase is being split, even though EU and US are meant to be treated equally.

Now, since Gameforge is handling the EU contest (and I hope it covers the English entries and not only the alternate languages) there is no reason to get up in arms over it, but it is understandable to see the rules and be upset at this point since there is no clarification in the rules that Gameforge is handling part of the competition.

Steelio
05-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Might as well post my own entry here, since I can't enter.

"GET TO THE INDUCTO-CHOPPER!"

N3rd4Christ
05-02-2015, 12:05 AM
Might as well post my own entry here, since I can't enter.

"GET TO THE INDUCTO-CHOPPER!"

If say Inducto-choppa!

regomar
05-02-2015, 10:07 AM
The only think unusual about this is that Canada is allowed. As a Canadian I'm used to being excluded from contests and I'm surprised that other people are still surprised by this kind of thing which has been a standard due to international laws and complications for decades.

Khazrakh
05-02-2015, 01:28 PM
The one thing bothering me here is that it wasn't in the announcement.
I can get behind legal issues yadda yadda without a problem, I'm German, I'm used to that kind of stuff.
But I deeply dislike that "the rest of the world doesn't matter" attitude quite some Americans seem to have. I really don't think that's true for CZE and so far you guys didn't give me any reason to believe otherwise, but please - if something you post is only relevant to America (sorry for generalizing Canada) - just let us know :)

MatWith1T
05-02-2015, 02:44 PM
The one thing bothering me here is that it wasn't in the announcement.
I can get behind legal issues yadda yadda without a problem, I'm German, I'm used to that kind of stuff.
But I deeply dislike that "the rest of the world doesn't matter" attitude quite some Americans seem to have. I really don't think that's true for CZE and so far you guys didn't give me any reason to believe otherwise, but please - if something you post is only relevant to America (sorry for generalizing Canada) - just let us know :)

What about this gives you that impression? International sweepstakes law is a minefield. French law is a nightmare, Italy is a bureaucratic mess, and this contest is straight up illegal in Russia. That's just Europe...

Hex is not going out of their way to exclude people by choice because they think that's a good move. They are playing by the rules dictated to them.

Khazrakh
05-02-2015, 03:30 PM
What about this gives you that impression? International sweepstakes law is a minefield. French law is a nightmare, Italy is a bureaucratic mess, and this contest is straight up illegal in Russia. That's just Europe...

Hex is not going out of their way to exclude people by choice because they think that's a good move. They are playing by the rules dictated to them.

And that's perfectly fine - as I stated.
It's not about excluding some of us from the contest, but not stating so in the "basic rundown" they had in the announcement. Just have a "for US an Canadian residents only" somewhere and I don't have any issue with it.
But only having it in the full contest rules but not in the announcement makes it look like they didn't think that part was overly important and well, that's a notion I can't stand.

havocattack
05-02-2015, 09:48 PM
I thought what I came up with was rather clever >_> I basically went ahead and read some previous ruby dwarf cards and realised they make new dwarfs by combining dwarf rubble (dead ones i guess?) with freshly dug rock.

From that I came up with:

Explosively Inclined, always ready to be combined

Phenteo
05-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Hey guys. We didn't mean to offend anyone by running the contest. We don't want to exclude anyone at all. But there are several legal and contractual obligations that force us in running a contest for certain regions/territories. We're working with our business partners on running this contest for other players outside of the United States/Canada area and in multiple languages for the rest of our community. Please don't take this as a personal attack or view this as a sign that we don't like our players in our community that reside outside of the United States.

On a side note, some regions of Canada are allowed to participate as this is a contest that requires some skill. Unfortunately, we cannot operate this contest in Quebec due to their laws in regards to contest/giveaways/promotions laws and regulations.

If you cannot participate in this contest because of regional issues, just hang tight. Being patient will make things much easier on you.

On a side note, we may be seeing more contests (not run just by HEX but by other companies) that will end up excluding even parts of the United States. Contests/Giveaways laws are on a state-by-state business and I was told that some states are going to be changing their laws.

KingGabriel
05-03-2015, 12:10 AM
@Phenteo was there something stopping you from making this as a thread for suggestions then saying "we may or may not put your flavour text on the card" ?
I'm aware that competitions come with a lot of legal issues normally but wouldn't that sort of format circumvent it in this case?

Phenteo
05-03-2015, 02:11 AM
@Phenteo was there something stopping you from making this as a thread for suggestions then saying "we may or may not put your flavour text on the card" ?
I'm aware that competitions come with a lot of legal issues normally but wouldn't that sort of format circumvent it in this case?

We had to make it a contest as soliciting submissions in a non-official manner could cause issues further down the line if someone wanted to seek compensation for "services rendered".

KingGabriel
05-03-2015, 02:28 AM
We had to make it a contest as soliciting submissions in a non-official manner could cause issues further down the line if someone wanted to seek compensation for "services rendered".
Hmm ok. Note to self: cause issues further down the line for my brilliant "put the baby yeti AA" in game suggestion.

*Evil laugh*

strylght
05-03-2015, 03:12 AM
Phenteo, I appreciate the difficulty of running competitions internationally but, if you wouldn't mind, could you touch briefly upon Kazrakh's point about why it wasn't deemed necessary to mention the region restrictions in the announcement?
I'm happy to assume it was innocent oversight but then, doesn't that kind of prove the point made that non-American players were not in the mind of the person who wrote the announcement? I don't think many people would argue that this kind of information has no place in a "basic rundown".

Malicus
05-03-2015, 06:57 AM
Phenteo, I appreciate the difficulty of running competitions internationally but, if you wouldn't mind, could you touch briefly upon Kazrakh's point about why it wasn't deemed necessary to mention the region restrictions in the announcement?
I'm happy to assume it was innocent oversight but then, doesn't that kind of prove the point made that non-American players were not in the mind of the person who wrote the announcement? I don't think many people would argue that this kind of information has no place in a "basic rundown".

I would kind of argue that it isn't part of a basic rundown and is the kind of information I generally expect to see in the terms and conditions. That said I am kind of sad since I foresee no love for NZ anytime soon in these competitions at least Europe is likely to get them through Gameforge.

ossuary
05-03-2015, 07:46 AM
Maybe if certain people would stop coming in LOOKING for things to be offended by, they'd find fewer things to take offense at. :p

The constant assumption of malicious intent or intentional snuffing people keep seeing is especially tiresome.

Sparrow
05-03-2015, 09:55 AM
I'm only entering with my main account (Sparrow). If someone out of region wants to submit their entry to me, I'll gladly post it under an unused alt account and deliver the prizes to that person should they win. First come, first served and all that.

Edit: I already accepted one so please don't send me any more.

strylght
05-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Maybe if certain people would stop coming in LOOKING for things to be offended by, they'd find fewer things to take offense at. :p

The constant assumption of malicious intent or intentional snuffing people keep seeing is especially tiresome.

I had a read back through this thread and I don't really think that any of the posts in it must necessarily be interpreted as taking offence or assuming malice. Most even explicitly express understanding and appreciation of the reasons for the exclusion.
Maybe it is you who is assuming too much about slightly miffed, curious people? :p

Khazrakh
05-03-2015, 01:37 PM

That post coming from somebody that was strongly offended by certain boobs on a certain Primal made me giggle a little ;)

No offense meant though (neither towards you nor CZE), it's just that I would have strongly liked to have that information posted in the announcement instead of the terms&conditions because it's a) important information to anybody not living in Northern America and b) that's something a lot of northern american companies seem to forget or simply not care about.

I don't think anybody actually assumed any malicious intent or anything, it's just something to consider down the road.

Werlix
05-03-2015, 02:33 PM
And that's perfectly fine - as I stated.
It's not about excluding some of us from the contest, but not stating so in the "basic rundown" they had in the announcement. Just have a "for US an Canadian residents only" somewhere and I don't have any issue with it.
But only having it in the full contest rules but not in the announcement makes it look like they didn't think that part was overly important and well, that's a notion I can't stand.

Yeah I kinda got that impression too. I don't think it's a malicious thing but I get this sense from alot of US website/organisations. So many times I've find an interesting site/shop/promotion, browse around then eventually realise that the site only caters to US residents but this was not clearly stated anywhere. You only find out in Ts&Cs or when you try to enter shipping address at the end of filling out a form.

It's a little pet peeve of mine as well...

Just a simple "(Sorry this promotion is only available to {country} residents)" would go a long way

regomar
05-03-2015, 07:23 PM

Someone needed to say it. This constant need to be offended by anything and everything is a plague upon almost every community I frequent. People need to get over themselves and learn to adult.

Phenteo
05-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Thank you for the feedback guys. Going to close this thread to prevent it from spiraling downward.