PDA

View Full Version : US Gamer Review of Hex: Shards of Fate

Warrender
05-01-2015, 06:09 PM
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/hex-shards-of-fate-blazes-a-trail-for-the-mmotcg

Didn't see this posted yet so I thought I'd put it up. Nice to see a pretty reputable, if newish (US Gamer is a recent offshoot of the Eurogamer website) site with a well-informed review. Unlike recent offerings, it actually looks like the reviewer plays the game.

N3rd4Christ
05-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Good "skim the surface" article

Mejis
05-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the link. Very nice indeed.

Also good job Axle on correcting the uninformed comment within the article.

strylght
05-02-2015, 02:03 AM
Ugh, the comparison to Hearthstone in article and comment really make my skin crawl. I wish it were pointed out that the real reason Hex trumps a game like Hearthstone isn't the monetisation model or the booster opening animation but the damn card game!

Axle
05-03-2015, 09:26 PM
"Difference between Hex and Hearthstone is that Hearthstone is designed from the ground up as a digital card game - many of its effects would be impossible or tedious with physical cards.

Hex, on the other hand, is simply Magic the Gathering Online with a new skin, single player elements and better interface. The rules, health, effects etc. are virtually identical."

In the comments.

The ignorant shit you have to deal with.

Hearthstone so innovative! Digital from the ground up! It's our saviour! No way HEX has any of that!

When the game has every digital effect that Hearthstone has and more. >_>

I know playing comment warriors and replying to everything stupid is a losing battle, but USgamer is a decently popular site and not having falsely negative feedback would be nice.

Zophie
05-03-2015, 10:18 PM
I know playing comment warriors and replying to everything stupid is a losing battle, but USgamer is a decently popular site and not having falsely negative feedback would be nice.

Fight the good fight! :D

hitomo
05-04-2015, 12:30 AM
hey, just checking back to see how the revolutionary MMO thing is coming along

5month have passed and all they add is a copy paste of HS single Player adventures ? well played ...

okay, I give u that, u added Sound to some Cards ...

du urself a favor and DONT put HEX against HS, for ur own good ^^

u can only use Equipment outside of PvP ? ... where is the Profile Tab?
socketing gems concept isnt realised at all ...

game is much more slave of RNG then HS some how

c u

Ertzi
05-04-2015, 12:38 AM

5month have passed and all they add is a copy paste of HS single Player adventures ? well played ...

c u

LOL. That is all I'm going to say :D

Axle
05-04-2015, 03:02 AM

c u

Good excuses to fall on when you lose I guess.

Come back later when the features are in, but judging from your last post:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=41048&p=457595&viewfull=1#post457595

You seem to think everything is empty promises when they're clearly not.

Not to mention the fact that you were asking for progression and then when you come back you say "Arena is a HS copy" without even trying it apparently. You didn't even pick up the fact that the gold and PVE earnings you obtain can be used on the Auction House to get real packs and cards.

bootlace
05-04-2015, 04:20 AM

c u

Hearthstone single player adventure mode:

-Came out after Hex's KS reveal of their PvE plans
-Costs money to play
-Can be completed in a few minutes
-Has no replay value
-Grants no random loot or gold
-Doesn't have random challenges

Equipment will be usable in a specific PvP mode in the future and in guild/fan run tournaments in the future.

Socking gems is in the game and works extremely well.

There's RNG in all cards games, Hex has one that ensures variance in the type of games you play through its unpredictable resource system as opposed to Hearthstone where it's like a slot machine inserted into most cards. Different people have different preferences as to which one they prefer.

Khazrakh
05-04-2015, 04:38 AM
Don't feed the troll guys, not worth the time.

KingGabriel
05-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Don't feed the troll guys, not worth the time.
Idk, crush damage can be pretty useful, especially if you have lightning elemental in the deck.

EntropyBall
05-04-2015, 09:57 AM
"Difference between Hex and Hearthstone is that Hearthstone is designed from the ground up as a digital card game - many of its effects would be impossible or tedious with physical cards.

Hex, on the other hand, is simply Magic the Gathering Online with a new skin, single player elements and better interface. The rules, health, effects etc. are virtually identical."

In the comments.

The ignorant shit you have to deal with.

Hearthstone so innovative! Digital from the ground up! It's our saviour! No way HEX has any of that!

When the game has every digital effect that Hearthstone has and more. >_>

Glad you pointed out how woefully inaccurate that guy was. Your post was a really good summary of Hex's unique features.

Yoss
05-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Nice replies over there, Axle. Thanks for carrying the banner.

I actually agree with the last guy there about "MMO" though. Hex should really be branded as "RPTCG" if we were trying for the most accurate portrayal. Unless, as the guy says, there's going to be some modes where there are literally hundreds of people playing the same RPG content at once (not instances of, but actually interactive between them, where results/decisions by any of the hundreds can affect the game for the others). As far as I know, the maximum players at once actually affecting the experience of players around them is planned to be three.

zadies
05-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Yoss that really depends on if they implement global events like x people do y thing in z time to unlock the option to do thing a.

That would be doable given the system we currently have.

KingGabriel
05-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Two words: Guild Keeps.

Arbiter
05-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Hearthstone single player adventure mode:

-Came out after Hex's KS reveal of their PvE plans
-Costs money to play
-Can be completed in a few minutes
-Has no replay value
-Grants no random loot or gold
-Doesn't have random challenges

Equipment will be usable in a specific PvP mode in the future and in guild/fan run tournaments in the future.

Socking gems is in the game and works extremely well.

There's RNG in all cards games, Hex has one that ensures variance in the type of games you play through its unpredictable resource system as opposed to Hearthstone where it's like a slot machine inserted into most cards. Different people have different preferences as to which one they prefer.

If you are going to be indignant about other people's portrayal of your game, don't misrepresent others. Hearthstone came out in its entirety after Hex on KS, the PVE mode is nothing like Hex's proposed PVE model. It can be purchased easily with in game currency or real money - just like the packs themselves. It takes more than a few minutes to complete, especially if you want to do the heroic modes, and it's really up to the player to determine how difficult they want that to be - many don't like using spoilers. With replay ability, it's a different loot model to Hex, some would prefer to get a complete playset after one run through rather than run the same content over and over. PVE doesn't grant currency apart from a handful of quests, but PVP does... It is actually the reverse of Hex.

Hex and Hearthstone are two different beasts with two different target audiences. There are some of us that play both, but I suspect we are in a minority. Both are digital card games and can learn from what the other does well/poorly but they have very different game play and target audiences that affect their design.

Svenn
05-05-2015, 07:46 AM
Nice replies over there, Axle. Thanks for carrying the banner.

I actually agree with the last guy there about "MMO" though. Hex should really be branded as "RPTCG" if we were trying for the most accurate portrayal. Unless, as the guy says, there's going to be some modes where there are literally hundreds of people playing the same RPG content at once (not instances of, but actually interactive between them, where results/decisions by any of the hundreds can affect the game for the others). As far as I know, the maximum players at once actually affecting the experience of players around them is planned to be three.
I've been saying this since the Kickstarter. It's an online RPGTCG. There's no "massively multiplayer" about it. That's like trying to call Diablo an MMO. There are going to be people who see the tag, look into it, and go "This isn't an MMO" and go away because of that tag.

RamzaBehoulve
05-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Craping back on Hearthstone won't get you anywhere either.

HS has far more identity than Hex is probably what they meant, but a lot of it is due to the Warcraft lore. The animations and all the little things make HS way more lively and enjoyable than Hex (for now), but I think it would be unreasonable to ask similar voice overs and animations on Hex when they have double the amount of cards and soon triple.

For mechanics, obviously Hex is much better and it has the trading minigame too. I honestly think both HS and Hex can be enjoyed simultaneously as they are vastly different, even though they share the TCG component. I just wish the real Hex PvE experience would be closer to release, although the frost ring arena is a nice step forward.

plaguedealer
05-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Not to derail the thread too much, but you can bet there are alot of developers that want hearthstone's piece of the pie. These developers might cater to a audience that wants more complexity. This means more competition for hex in the future.

Spellweaver is definitely in beta, has server issues and is not seeing alot of hype. However, it is somewhat complex and could attract people from Hex. Spellweaver, probably wont ding hex much, but I bet there will be more games like it.

Also no matter how much it is unfair, hex will be compared to hearthstone for awhile.

strylght
05-05-2015, 10:02 AM
HS has far more identity than Hex is probably what they meant, but a lot of it is due to the Warcraft lore.

As someone who has been immersed in Warcraft Lore since Orcs and Humans, I can say one of my problems with Hearthstone is how utterly bored I am of the setting. Heck, I was bored of it in World of Warcraft, let alone Hearthstone. I think it is one of the most flaccid and derivative settings in fantasy. Which is saying something because, while there are great ones, fantasy sure is the genre to go to for derivative settings!
Obviously I speak for myself, so not really a relevant reflection on the contribution of Warcraft lore to HS's success.