PDA

View Full Version : Why is "Shards of Fate" part of the game's main title?

Briala
05-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Hi, new player here, and possibly confused about how the names Hex, Shards of Fate, and Shattered Destiny all relate to each other.

As far as I can tell, the overall game is named Hex, and there are currently two sets of cards: Shards of Fate & Shattered Destiny. Perhaps Shards of Fate may also be a "block" name which includes its base set + expansions, of which Shattered Destiny is the first?

What's confusing me is why all the main game logos (such as launch screen, the main logo on this site, etc etc) include the one set name and not the other. I never see just "Hex", I always see "Hex Shards of Fate", and I never see "Hex Shattered Destiny".

Is there an implication about the importance of one set vs the other? I.e. is maybe the "shards of fate" set meant to be a perennial, always included base set while "shattered destiny" is meant more as a seasonal thing that will fade away and be replaced by another in due time?

plaguedealer
05-05-2015, 10:36 AM
That is a good question, which I do not have a answer. Probably changing the name after each new set comes out would be too confusing.

ossuary
05-05-2015, 10:46 AM
The full name of the game is Hex: Shards of Fate. The first set also happens to be named Shards of Fate. That set also happens to contain a card named Shards of Fate. :)

The reason the game is called Hex: Shards of Fate rather than just Hex is because there's already a game called Hex. ;)

strylght
05-05-2015, 10:59 AM
The game is called Hex: Shards of Fate and the first set of said game is called Shards of Fate.
I really think it's as simple as that, either the first set is named after the game's subtitle, or vice versa and it is not intended to indicate any import of the first set beyond it being the first.
It is my understanding that the set Shards of Fate will rotate out eventually just like any other, but the game keeping the subtitle Shards of Fate doesn't really require the set Shards of Fate to be legal.
It's like having the name of a series of novels be the same as the name of the first novel, or the name of a musical artist's first album being the same as the name as the artist (self-titled).

EDIT: Well, a far more authoritative source beat me to the punch while I was doing all that italicizing so, there is your answer. :)

Briala
05-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks!

Warrender
05-05-2015, 11:16 AM
The full name of the game is Hex: Shards of Fate. The first set also happens to be named Shards of Fate. That set also happens to contain a card named Shards of Fate. :)

I wonder if one of Corey's favorite bands is Bad Company who released the album, Bad Company, which had the hit song, Bad Company.

KingGabriel
05-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Well, when the sequel releases it will be Hex 2: Electric Boogaloo

strylght
05-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Or perhaps his favourite Black Sabbath song is Black Sabbath from the album Black Sabbath?

Gwaer
05-05-2015, 12:38 PM
As Cory said in an interview once, the most important part of good game design is naming as many disparate unrelated things the same name as possible.

Assassine
05-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Relevant Blizzard article: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/13611763/%5Bapril-fools%5D-hitting-on-the-selection-of-a-name-4-1-2014

Dorkelvania
05-05-2015, 10:29 PM
I wonder if one of Corey's favorite bands is Bad Company who released the album, Bad Company, which had the hit song, Bad Company.

I always pegged Corey as more of a fan of the band/album/song Living in a Box.

Tension
05-06-2015, 03:26 AM
I wonder if there will be a keyword "Shards Of Fate"

strylght
05-06-2015, 06:15 AM
I wonder if there will be a keyword "Shards Of Fate"

Hopefully it would have the potential to be the core of a competitive deck so we'd see the "Shards of Fate" deck archetype piloted to the top of the second 100k by none other than xsh4rdsx0fxf4t3x.