PDA

View Full Version : Migration of posts from old forum to new forum

strawdonkey
08-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Are there any plans to migrate the posts from the old forum to the new forum? It'd be a shame to see four months' discussion effectively go to waste.

syphonhail
08-10-2010, 10:50 AM
I am not sure how easy it is to migrate phpbb forums to vbulletin, though I think vbulletin comes with software to do so.

Kyth
08-10-2010, 12:19 PM
The finddiscussion boards aren't phpbb forums and we don't have database access to them (which is what makes migrating tools easier to write.)

Rioriel
08-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Fresh start FTW.

Kyth
08-10-2010, 03:30 PM
My post was unclear sorry, let me try this again:

*Having* database access makes migration tools possible.

Not having it means you're writing screen-scrapers and that's just not a fun time for anyone.

Pretty sure there was a post from one of the CZE guys here earlier saying that posts wouldn't be migrated but I don't have the link on me.

syphonhail
08-10-2010, 05:11 PM
The finddiscussion boards aren't phpbb forums and we don't have database access to them (which is what makes migrating tools easier to write.)

Hmm, superfluous copyright tag for phpbb then?

Kyth
08-10-2010, 05:30 PM
If they are, it's no phpbb admin panel that I've ever seen. I didn't spend much time there though, maybe it's heavily skinned. I found it frustrating to figure out how to do anything with it :p.

Either way, as I said, the official word is 'no' on the forum migration. There's just also technical reasons why not to (e.g. not having direct database access. Once I migrated a forum from guildportal to vbulletin with nothing but screen scraping. That was... an experience.)

strawdonkey
08-13-2010, 01:26 AM
That's fair enough I guess, I hadn't noticed they were different brands of forum. The main thing it would be a shame to lose is the rules forum - would it be possible to migrate over a few chosen topics from there (I'm thinking Vuz'din vs Spell Suppression amongst others) or is that also a big pain in the behind?