PDA

View Full Version : DC deck building game

Trefold
05-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Hey guys, I've been playing this for a couple months now, actually accidentally bought the first core game thinking it was something else...... and my friends and I have been completely neglecting all our other games now X-D We've been getting more and more sets and now have everything except Crisis 1. Love the game, and every variation of it so far, however we've been mixing sets recently and the games have been a bit..... eh. I've noticed certain sets/cards/heroes just don't mix as well with others, namely some of the crisis heroes that are focused on the co op aspect of the game, and the villains with quite a few combos, some of the JSA heroes seem quite situational.

I was wondering what do you guys do with mixing sets and hero selection that keeps everything fun and fair for everyone.

AaronH
05-10-2015, 11:55 PM
In my group we don't mix sets anymore. We just pick a base set and then decide which Crisis/Crossover to add in and that's it for extra cards. We do, however, make all of the oversized Superheroes (villains in the case of Forever Evil) available no matter which set we're playing, and we basically always play with 2 heroes each. Makes for much more balanced games since each player has a better chance of getting a decent character.

YMMV.

The4gotNdeath
05-20-2015, 09:17 AM
if you ask me i think the Jsa heroes have some of the best abilities right now. fate has massive potential, garrick lets you maximize draw effiency all the time, terriffic lets you stack your top 3 cards in the order of your choice and possibly scoop a freebie from those, fate has MASSIVE potential, wildcat turns your first punch into consistent draw 2 card if you just buy heroes and villians, scott lets you accelerate pretty decently early game and even when you dont draw you at least know what your next card is, stargirl lets you fish for better hands EVERY time you play or block with a defense card (stargirl + girl power in hand is INSANE), and power girl is like having a daughter of gotham in your hand all the time (i could care less about power girl, but still not bad). every jsa hero is really good, maybe not top tier but still good none the less, but every hero cant be as insane as aquaman or green arrow XD

IAmTheGreat
05-20-2015, 01:41 PM
Alan Scott is basically a much worse Superman, same goes for Power Girl. Stargirl is also a watered down Booster. Imo Wildcat and Fate are the only two good heroes from the set. Jay Garrick and Mr Terrific are average.

The4gotNdeath
05-20-2015, 05:01 PM
if you think of it as just +1, then yes scott is worse than superman. but the fact is scott isnt just +1, he gets to look at the top card of his deck almost all day. being able to look at your next card constantly is a powerful advantage, because you can easily abuse cards like animal man, the HU locations, power ring from set one, two face, etc. if you pull a punch you get a +1 for free, if you get a vuln or weakness thats 1 less vuln/weakness you could possibly draw in your hand next turn and it gives you a chance to target them with a destruction effect. can superman do that? no? i didnt think so.

as for star girl, if you think of her effect for avoiding attacks by itself then yea booster gold is probably better. but just like alan scott vs super man, star girl boast more utility than booster gold. booster gold just gives you a flat +1 per defense you play on your turn, not bad. star girl lets you draw and discard when you play a defense which opens up so many more doors. lets say you have a vuln in your hand, thanks to star girl effect you now basically get to trade that vuln for something else. if you get a vuln/weakness, then you basically milled one useless card from your next draw. if you get a punch you milled a not so good card from being in your next hand and you tied booster gold's effect. if you get anything other than a vuln/weakness/punch than you probably got a card thats better than just a flat +1, therefore doing better than booster gold. best part about her ability is that it isnt even mandatory, so you dont have to do it unless you want to. shrugging her off as just a watered down booster gold is just silly.

regarding garrick, every time you activate a draw effect you get to look at the first card and say "no i dont want this card in my hand" or "yes i do want this card in my hand". you have the ability to look before you leap, unlike flash. flash activates his ability once per turn on his turn only, and if he draws a weakness/vuln his ability is wasted. garrick has the power to dodge bad draws as many times as he can activate a draw effect and do it during ANYBODYS turn which gives him better synergy with defense cards than flash. also being able to set up graveyard wombo combos is something he (and star girl) can do that flash (and booster gold) can't. for instance cards like robin, bat signal, manhunter, king of atlantis, etc.

mr terriffic is just, well... terrific. you get to dump a punch for a sneak at your top 3 cards, and pluck an equipment from those if you had any. equipments are already some of the most useful cards in the game, and even if you didnt get an equipment, knowing wat your next 3 cards are and being able to put them back in the order of your choice is powerful (read above for alan scot). for the cost of a single punch, terrific's ability is more than worth.

power girl i already described as basically having a daughter of gotham in your hand all the time, and i pretty much hit the nail on the head there. as i also mentioned already i honestly dont care for that ability, if you have cards like power of red, penguin, or perdegation then good for you, otherwise power girl is just daughter of gotham all the time. not the worse ability ever, but doesnt get me excited.

all in all, saying that wildcat and fate are the only good jsa'ers in the bunch is ludicrous, and you should probably play more jsa'ers so you can see that just because they may not give flat power like some of their counter parts, utility more than makes up for it. for any1 else reading this I'm sry about the long post, and play more JSA.

LRoq617
05-21-2015, 09:19 AM
regarding garrick, every time you activate a draw effect you get to look at the first card and say "no i dont want this card in my hand" or "yes i do want this card in my hand". you have the ability to look before you leap, unlike flash. flash activates his ability once per turn on his turn only, and if he draws a weakness/vuln his ability is wasted. garrick has the power to dodge bad draws as many times as he can activate a draw effect and do it during ANYBODYS turn which gives him better synergy with defense cards than flash. also being able to set up graveyard wombo combos is something he (and star girl) can do that flash (and booster gold) can't. for instance cards like robin, bat signal, manhunter, king of atlantis, etc.

This part really isn't relevant for a Flash/Gerrick comparison, sadly. By this logic, Flash gets to draw both card if he plays a draw spell (let's say Kid Flash), so he'll get to draw the next card anyway. Gerrick's ability is continuous, since he can use it more than once per turn, and he can bin cards for discard relevance like Bat Signal or Robin, but the upside still isn't enough compared to someone like Flash. He's decent, I suppose, but still one of the weaker characters in the set overall.

I actually agree with a previous post about Wildcat and Doctor Fate being the two best, but Stargirl is definitely not to be overlooked. She's more powerful than Booster Gold when using Defense cards during her turn, since Looting > +1 Power, but not for using them as Defense. I call it a push personally. Alan Scott's scry ability isn't enough upside either compared to someone like Superman or Cyborg. Power Girl is just bad unless she's paired with Batgirl in 2-character mode. Same with Mr. Terrific unless he's paired with Harley Quinn.

aoineko
05-21-2015, 10:40 AM
play more JSA.

Wise words!

gerrymul
05-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Star Girl ultimately suffers from the same issue Booster does - you are entirely at the mercy of the lineup. There are relatively few defenses in the deck compared to super powers (overly abundant with the kick stack plus main card decks), villains (including the Super Villain stack), heroes, and equipment. That's strike 1. Strike 2 is that defenses are ALWAYS bought by other players due to their scarcity. Sometimes you get lucky with Booster or Star Girl, but often I'll go through a whole game and get maybe 2 defenses. Compare that to most of the other heroes and they lack. When they work, they work spectacularly, but when they don't, they are horrible.

The4gotNdeath
05-23-2015, 06:51 PM
I actually agree with a previous post about Wildcat and Doctor Fate being the two best, but Stargirl is definitely not to be overlooked. She's more powerful than Booster Gold when using Defense cards during her turn, since Looting > +1 Power, but not for using them as Defense. I call it a push personally. Alan Scott's scry ability isn't enough upside either compared to someone like Superman or Cyborg. Power Girl is just bad unless she's paired with Batgirl in 2-character mode. Same with Mr. Terrific unless he's paired with Harley Quinn.

his argument was that fate and wildcat were the only good jsa heroes, not the best jsa heroes, on which i call bs. ive already stated that power girl is just a playable version of daughter of gotham, and that i wasnt impressed with her, but she isnt to be under estimated. to say mister terrific is bad solo is kinda funny tho when he can just stack equipmets hard, and equipments are like the best types to stack aside from powers.

IAmTheGreat
05-23-2015, 11:47 PM
his argument was that fate and wildcat were the only good jsa heroes, not the best jsa heroes, on which i call bs. ive already stated that power girl is just a playable version of daughter of gotham, and that i wasnt impressed with her, but she isnt to be under estimated. to say mister terrific is bad solo is kinda funny tho when he can just stack equipmets hard, and equipments are like the best types to stack aside from powers.

Apparently you have a very loose definition of the word 'good'. I'd count the top quarter of the heroes as being good, the middle as average and the bottom fourth as bad. And I definitely don't think Mr Terrific is in the top echelon

postalnik
05-24-2015, 12:50 PM
We play with a set of 40 equipment, 40 superpowers, 40 heroes, 40 villains and 16 locations in the main deck. Each player chooses a non-crisis superhero and a supervillian. There are two stacks of defeatable characters. One is villains and the other is heroes. I took the time to remove some of the "collector" cards (manhunter, suicide squad). I left the power rings. Everything seems to be working fine when we play. It did take some time to sort the cards for cost and redundancy. I have cards from all the sets except rivals. I only kept them separate because I like having a small deck for a quick two player game.