PDA

View Full Version : More Spoiled Cards

exiledtyrant
05-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Found two more on mmorpgcom here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/955/feature/9692/Hex-Say-Hello-to-the-Armies-of-Myth-Card-Set.html

Anyone know of some other sites to check?

israel.kendall
05-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the link, I don't know any other sites to check. I sometimes do a Google search for HEX TCG and set it for results from the past week to find new stuff on sites I don't know about.

AdamAoE2
05-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Found two more on mmorpgcom here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/955/feature/9692/Hex-Say-Hello-to-the-Armies-of-Myth-Card-Set.html

Anyone know of some other sites to check?

Nice Link - That Sapphire guy is nasty! Definitely going to find a way into a constructed deck somewhere.

exiledtyrant
05-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Yep still a lot of neat things to see.

chromus
05-15-2015, 02:06 PM
The article says: "There will be 100 common cards, 60 uncommon, 72 rares, and 18 new legendary cards added with the AoM set." That's 250 cards.

Can someone official confirm please? :)

Svenn
05-15-2015, 02:36 PM
Pretty cool. Is it just me, or does Prophecy seem like it shouldn't be a keyword? It doesn't seem to mean anything by itself. It has to be followed by a full description of what happens anyway.

Gwaer
05-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Like escalation for example?

Svenn
05-15-2015, 02:45 PM
Like escalation for example?
Escalation doesn't NEED the text. If a card says "Escalation 2" then you know how it functions. The bolded number increases by 2 each time. The description text is there as a convenience.

With Prophecy... if a card said "Prophecy" or "Prophecy 2" then what does that even mean? Nothing at all. It means that the next something in your deck gets something. We've seen "the next troop in your deck" and "the next card in your deck with cost 1 or more" for the trigger and "gets +2/+2" and "gets 'You can play this for free'" for the effect.

It's a cool mechanic; I like it. However, keywords are essentially shorthand for a specific rule... but Prophecy isn't shorthand for anything. At best it could be shortened to "Prophecy - Next troop, +2/+2" or "Prophecy - Cost 1+, 'Play this card for free'".

Gwaer
05-15-2015, 02:49 PM
Like inspire?

If a card just said inspire on it, it would be meaningless. Or inspire 2 or 3. It requires additional input to have meaning as well.

Prophecy tells you this card is modifying future cards and the description tells you how. I don't think its that far off from other examples.

Svenn
05-15-2015, 02:56 PM
Like inspire?

You know, that's a good point. Inspire suffers from a similar problem.

However, I think Inspire can easily be shortened. It means "As a troop with cost greater than or equal to this enters play it gets x". If something said "Inspire - +2/+2" (or if I was describing a card to you and just said "It has 'Inspire +2/+2'") then it would be pretty obvious what happens. The trigger is ALWAYS a troop with cost greater than or equal to entering play. I think what bugs me about Prophecy is that the trigger part varies, so Prophecy is a very vague "Next something gets something". Hey, maybe it's just thematic... it's a prophecy so it's intentionally vague? ;)

Prophecy tells you this card is modifying future cards and the description tells you how. I don't think its that far off from other examples.
If it was "The next troop in your deck gets..." every time I would say it's perfectly fine. Prophecy would be a shorthand in the exact same way as inspire in that case. But it's not even clear what is being modified with the keyword.

It's not a big deal. I just think it's weird to use a Keyword that really has no actual definition itself.

Armies
05-15-2015, 03:01 PM
who knows there might be a card that triggers off of cards with prophecy so it might be needed even if the keyword is kinda differing on its effects

Svenn
05-15-2015, 03:02 PM
who knows there might be a card that triggers off of cards with prophecy so it might be needed even if the keyword is kinda differing on its effects

Fair point. I had not considered this. If there are effects somewhere that refer to prophecy... then I rescind my argument. ;)

Gwaer
05-15-2015, 03:06 PM
IMO, keywords serve many purposes aside from just being shorthand. As Armies says, it provides a target for effects to point at, it creates a category of cards in your mind (cards with prophecy, vs cards with the nameless ability that alters cards you haven't drawn yet), I like that they're deconstructing the keywords a bit. I think limiting them to as you said svenn, always having the same target with alternating effects like inspire is unnecessary. You can have the same effect with varying targets, or the same target with varying effects, or as in prophecy varying targets and effects.

darkwonders
05-15-2015, 05:20 PM
Here's shorthand for Prophecy.

Prophecy (Card Type) (effect)
so Nightsky Stargazer would be

Prophecy - Troop +2/+2

Indigo Dreamwalker is a bit trickier, but it could go something like this

Prophecy - Card "This card can be played for free" and hard code it that it has to be at least 1 cost.

Aradon
05-15-2015, 05:26 PM
For what it's worth, Magic differentiated between 'keywords' and 'ability words.' Keywords had the same meaning every time, as perfect shorthand. Ability words were words that indicated an ability worked similarly to other abilities with the same ability word, but were context or card dependent.

Examples of keywords are flying, trample, first strike, scry, affinity for X, and kicker.
Examples of ability words are metalcraft, landfall, chroma, and hellbent.

But ultimately, it never really mattered if it was a keyword or ability word, as long as players knew what the card did.

JohnDruitt
05-16-2015, 12:55 AM
Sapphire needed a buff so we got another strong constructed playable card.

israel.kendall
05-16-2015, 01:12 AM
Sapphire needed a buff so we got another strong constructed playable card.

http://i.imgur.com/YwXPOir.jpg

Gwaer
05-16-2015, 01:13 AM
Yes you can.

israel.kendall
05-16-2015, 01:20 AM
Yes you can.

I know what it would be if I had said it lol, but I don't assume everyone thinks like me.

Gwaer
05-16-2015, 01:28 AM
However. Even if sapphire is the strongest shard that doesn't mean it shouldn't get any playable rares/legendaries. We just need to see other shards become competitive somehow. There are lots of ways they can manage that. I'm not writing off a big shakeup yet.

poizonous
05-16-2015, 01:46 AM
Well In the defense of this sapphire card, I dont think it fits in any Current Tier 1 Sapphire deck, they arent very troop heavy so that card really dont fit. But this card will definitely make some newer tier 1 deck ;)

Alamand
05-16-2015, 01:54 AM
Well In the defense of this sapphire card, I dont think it fits in any Current Tier 1 Sapphire deck, they arent very troop heavy so that card really dont fit. But this card will definitely make some newer tier 1 deck ;)

It says any card with cost 1+ so there's plenty of targets. I doubt anyone would complain about a free counterspell or card draw spell.

israel.kendall
05-16-2015, 02:03 AM
Yeah doesn't need troops to be effective. Anything that throws off resource count in sapphire creates mind games with your opponent.

poizonous
05-16-2015, 02:10 AM
I thought the card said troop specifically, maybe i misread it

JohnDruitt
05-16-2015, 02:36 AM
Let's be honest. We have seen 10 cards so far(?) and 2 legenderies. We have 2 constrcted playable Blood rares and an amazing constructed playable sapphire legendary (it will be one of the money cards for sure). We probably will have other great cards for other shards but they showed us another thing that makes sapphire even stronger than it is. 3/4 is a nice body for 4. You cant kill it with a single construucted ruby removal (burn, heatwave, bolt). Even if you murder it, the damage is done. 0 cost countermagic? Yes, please. 0 cost mastery of time? You can almost surrender. 0 cost Shoggoth? :D

israel.kendall
05-16-2015, 03:15 AM
Zero cost mass dingler!

Armies
05-16-2015, 03:39 AM
0 cost comet strike! 0 cost Kraken!

bootlace
05-16-2015, 03:59 AM
Let's be honest. We have seen 10 cards so far(?) and 2 legenderies.

Spoiler count of unique cards (non-tokens) is at 17, check my sig.

Mahes
05-16-2015, 04:55 AM
Pretty cool. Is it just me, or does Prophecy seem like it shouldn't be a keyword? It doesn't seem to mean anything by itself. It has to be followed by a full description of what happens anyway.

I have a problem with the word itself.

Prophecy is too fortell or predict. The action that this card allows, has nothing too do with telling me what my next card draw will be. Now if the ability was something like "When this creature comes into play, look at your next 5 cards and choose one. Place that card on top of your library and reduce its mana cost by "Blank. Shuffle the 4 remaining cards", that would be in line with the meaning of the word. This is simply a cost reduction.

I am trying too think of keywords that do fit. Reduction is actually one that would. Have a series of cards that when played reduce the cost of the next card by a certain amount.

Steelio
05-16-2015, 05:39 AM
Focus, Preparation, or something. But at the end of the day it's just a word, getting a 'catch-all' term to describe the effect would be rather difficult I wonder.

Prophecy is too fortell or predict. The action that this card allows, has nothing too do with telling me what my next card draw will be. Now if the ability was something like "When this creature comes into play, look at your next 5 cards and choose one. Place that card on top of your library and reduce its mana cost by "Blank. Shuffle the 4 remaining cards", that would be in line with the meaning of the word. This is simply a cost reduction.

I am trying too think of keywords that do fit. Reduction is actually one that would. Have a series of cards that when played reduce the cost of the next card by a certain amount.

Mahes
05-16-2015, 07:04 AM
Focus, Preparation, or something. But at the end of the day it's just a word, getting a 'catch-all' term to describe the effect would be rather difficult I wonder.

I think words do mean something. If not, then why have them? We could just start using the Greek alphabet to denote abilities if they lack importance. We could even use the animal kingdom and call this ability "Elephant", as that is what you are hoping to cast for free.

Tinfoil
05-16-2015, 07:30 AM
I am thinking that Queen Grace will get more screentime in Blood/Diamond (in sideboards at least) and Yesterday will return as a sapphire favorite.

Indigos effect seem balanced, you might hit a 1-cost stargazer or it might be end-game where you have 8+ressources anyways.

JohnDruitt
05-16-2015, 08:17 AM
I am thinking that Queen Grace will get more screentime in Blood/Diamond (in sideboards at least) and Yesterday will return as a sapphire favorite.

Indigos effect seem balanced, you might hit a 1-cost stargazer or it might be end-game where you have 8+ressources anyways.

No. You do not play Stargazer in constructed (that's what we are discussing here) and even in the late game 0 cost card is very strong (unexpected trick, or free bomb card) with all the drawing.

Axle
05-16-2015, 09:08 AM
Wish there was a way to gain blood threshold turn 1 and ramp into a double threshold 3 cost blood card t2. Corpse Fly, Vampire Princess, Zombie Plague for fun etc. The curse of Blood and all the best cards being double threshold cards. In PVE you can do 1 cost chloro (from equipment) into Adaptable Infusion Device and play a blood t2, but that's silly.

MugenMusou
05-16-2015, 04:06 PM

I agree. Initially, I thought prophecy is more like we can see either own or opponent's next card in a deck i.e. predict a future.

zadies
05-18-2015, 08:40 AM
I think prophecy is more like a foretelling of a future event where because of the prophecy of the great hero the next troop is the great hero and thus gets bonus X

Hafssol
05-18-2015, 08:57 AM
I think prophecy is more like a foretelling of a future event where because of the prophecy of the great hero the next troop is the great hero and thus gets bonus X

Even if we are talking about the Baby Yeti?

KingGabriel
05-18-2015, 08:57 AM
If you know the future, you'll be better prepared to face the enemy.

Fyren
05-18-2015, 09:01 AM
Even if we are talking about the Baby Yeti?

Especially if we're talking about the Baby Yeti.

darkwonders
05-18-2015, 09:52 AM
I wonder how OP Prophecy cards would be if they showed you which card was buffed. They wouldn't have to tell you the position of it in the deck, just the actual card being buffed. That way you could plan the next few turns out knowing what buffed card you'll be getting.

whiteyzz
05-18-2015, 10:06 AM
Indigo Dream walker doesn't seem so good but with Prophesy. I'm honestly going to think the next draw card is going to be something like. Look at the top X cards, and put them in any order; Then Draw a card. We would really need some deck control and man handling to get anything out of the Prophesy effect.

The Qutzul looks like a semi-decent card, It's too expensive to see play in a tribal orc deck. But it could easily find a slot or two in a green/red. Skarn/Fat Troll Deck, or a red burn deck.

Saeijou
05-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Indigo Dream walker doesn't seem so good but with Prophesy. I'm honestly going to think the next draw card is going to be something like. Look at the top X cards, and put them in any order; Then Draw a card. We would really need some deck control and man handling to get anything out of the Prophesy effect.

The Qutzul looks like a semi-decent card, It's too expensive to see play in a tribal orc deck. But it could easily find a slot or two in a green/red. Skarn/Fat Troll Deck, or a red burn deck.

TopX is 1 or lower and isn't counting for that effect

whiteyzz
05-18-2015, 12:29 PM
TopX is 1 or lower and isn't counting for that effect Well Top X is any number it doesn't have to be an X, but the only way the next card you draw/in your deck is any good is when you know what's coming up.

vickrpg
05-18-2015, 01:12 PM

The reduction isn't the definition of Prophecy, but the text of the prophecy.

"I predict that the next (troop/card) in the deck will have a (cost reduction)"
It sounds very much like a prediction to me. Especially since Prophecies tend to be vague.