PDA

View Full Version : Spot the differences game!

Phenteo
05-15-2015, 04:48 PM
It's Friday!

Let's have a little fun with a spot the differences game. There are 13 differences in this picture.

PLEASE DO NOT POST THE ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD.

To enter, email promotions@hextcg.com with the Subject: Spot the Differences 5/15
-Send in a picture with the differences pointed out, or describe the differences via text (be as specific as possible, location, position, etc.) You must have all 13 differences correctly pointed out in order to qualify.
-Include your forum nickname (so I can PM you the booster code if you win)

If you answer them correctly, you will be put into a pool for random selection. 3 Randomly selected winners will get a free Shattered Destiny booster pack!

Side note: The words "Original" and "Edited" are not part of the differences. The original is the original Set 3 card art... ;)

This game will end at 6:45 PM Pacific (two hours).

IMAGE: https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/SpotDifferences01.png

Phenteo
05-15-2015, 04:48 PM
https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/SpotDifferences01.png

AdamAoE2
05-15-2015, 05:06 PM
I apparently suck really bad at this.

nicosharp
05-15-2015, 05:08 PM
I've only spotted 10, but its cool that you are doing little things to give out free packs. Good for the community.

Phenteo
05-15-2015, 05:13 PM
I've only spotted 10, but its cool that you are doing little things to give out free packs. Good for the community.

Use the link in the first post. The image is much bigger.

nutcaseart
05-15-2015, 05:30 PM
I have found 11. DX

Phenteo
05-15-2015, 05:31 PM
Friendly reminder. The words Original and Edited are not part of the differences. LOL

Errantsquire
05-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Obviously the old man is 2 minutes younger in the left picture js.....

Kami
05-15-2015, 05:34 PM
I think I spotted all 13. Mis-spotted one my first try. :P

Edit: Yep, just got confirmation. All 13 spotted!

AdamAoE2
05-15-2015, 05:35 PM
friendly reminder. The words original and edited are not part of the differences. Lol

blast - foiled again!

infinity56
05-15-2015, 05:38 PM
I've got all 13, some of them are pretty evil. :D

Gwaer
05-15-2015, 05:54 PM
None of them are recolorations, right? 'cause that'd be annoying =P

mvcaposino
05-15-2015, 05:55 PM
you suck :P was trying to reply to nutcase... i cant use this thing good lol

Chocmaw
05-15-2015, 06:02 PM
The art is awesome :) is this in one of the human settlements? And the shard peddler looks cool enough to be a unique card.

Homunculus
05-15-2015, 06:03 PM
test

Phenteo
05-15-2015, 06:10 PM
test

Works!

Phenteo
05-15-2015, 06:11 PM
The art is awesome :) is this in one of the human settlements? And the shard peddler looks cool enough to be a unique card.

I definitely like the art in this one. It's why I chose it for the game. :)

Fyren
05-15-2015, 06:14 PM
12... One... more... where are you...

Zubrin
05-15-2015, 06:16 PM
That 13th one was killer, and I looked specifically at it twice before; I doubt my 13th will be the same as others though as there certainly are a few tricky ones.

Armies
05-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Edit got it!

Zophie
05-15-2015, 06:29 PM
I think I got them all, that was fun thanks!

poizonous
05-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Well I will never find #13 my eyes are getting dizzy from staring at this forever lol, im making up things that arent even there currently lol

Fred
05-15-2015, 06:38 PM
I think I've got them all. 2 hours is a very short time to find some of them.

Phenteo
05-15-2015, 06:40 PM
I think I've got them all. 2 hours is a very short time to find some of them.

This was meant to be a small little game. We'll do more fun stuff as we go. :)

Phenteo
05-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Game over!

Thank you to everyone who entered. Since we received a lot of entries and there were several difficult differences in the image, we've increased the amount of winners to 10!

The winners are:

Kami
Homunculus
Draknos
NutCaseArt
Bmon
koisoujiro
Shaher
Zophie
Axle
Ceiphied

Axle
05-15-2015, 06:55 PM
Thanks! The arm muscle difference was my #13. I was looking at the patterns on the floor, wall, clothing, windows, etc but kept glancing over that.

Homunculus
05-15-2015, 07:00 PM
thx!

Kami
05-15-2015, 07:00 PM
Does this mean we can post the solution now?

Phenteo
05-15-2015, 07:04 PM
https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/SpotDifferences01_answers.png

https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/SpotDifferences01_answers.png

All winners have been sent PMs with Booster Pack codes!

poizonous
05-15-2015, 07:06 PM
That damn Triple line on the lamp post got me :( oh well it was fun making my eyes bleed for an hour, Thanks Phenteo lol

Gwaer
05-15-2015, 07:19 PM
Yea, my girlfriend found that one, I doubt I would have.

Phenteo
05-15-2015, 07:25 PM
That damn Triple line on the lamp post got me :( oh well it was fun making my eyes bleed for an hour, Thanks Phenteo lol

Yea, my girlfriend found that one, I doubt I would have.

Thanks for playing guys!

Yeah, that one was a little too evil. Won't make it that evil next time.

Armies
05-15-2015, 07:27 PM
grats winners, and everyone who got em all GJ anyway thanks for playing..... oh wait thats me :(

Zophie
05-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Yay thanks I liked that game!

Shivdaddy
05-15-2015, 08:01 PM
I am bad at this. Even with them pointed out I do not see a difference with a couple. The pink crystal looks the same. The guys elbow looks the same.

Gwaer
05-15-2015, 08:16 PM
Those are both just slightly different colors, they're identical otherwise. Hopefully they'll avoid that in the future, because most monitors are terrible at proper color representation over its entire screen, also lots of people have issues identifying different colors.

pjvedder
05-15-2015, 08:20 PM
Those are both just slightly different colors, they're identical otherwise. Hopefully they'll avoid that in the future, because most monitors are terrible at proper color representation over its entire screen, also lots of people have issues identifying different colors.

Yeah, I agree, and that was my main issue with getting them. I saw those two, and thought it may have just been my eyes/monitor playing tricks on me. But I couldn't find the lamppost one anyway, so it didn't matter.

Fyren
05-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Base of the godsdamned lightpost... Didn't see the altered design.

israel.kendall
05-15-2015, 11:35 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58184888.jpg

Mejis
05-16-2015, 01:42 AM
EDIT: whoops, yes it has ended. Damn. Cool comp though.

Has this now ended?

The art is ridiculously good btw. One of my favourites!

Bmon
05-16-2015, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the contest! It was really a lot of fun. I absolutely love the artwork too! It is almost better seeing the artwork without the rest of card. This way we get to speculate on what it will be :)

Phenteo
05-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the contest! It was really a lot of fun. I absolutely love the artwork too! It is almost better seeing the artwork without the rest of card. This way we get to speculate on what it will be :)

Glad you enjoyed it! Next game won't be too evil or have any color shifts.

Kami
05-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Glad you enjoyed it! Next game won't be too evil or have any color shifts.

It's comments like this that make me wonder if I'm a closet-sadist sometimes and I don't realize it.

wolzarg
05-18-2015, 06:05 AM
I doubt i would have found them all but i really wish there was more time to things like this. I mean i don't care about the booster so the time limit doesn't technically matter to me but somehow it being over spoils it, also the full solution i scrolled past didn't help.

Phenteo
05-18-2015, 06:19 AM
I doubt i would have found them all but i really wish there was more time to things like this. I mean i don't care about the booster so the time limit doesn't technically matter to me but somehow it being over spoils it, also the full solution i scrolled past didn't help.

I'm very sorry. Didn't mean for it to feel that way. Definitely trying to find fun ways to spoil set 3 artwork as well as cards. And hope to inspire more players in joining the forums. :) We'll have more of these (with slightly less evil puzzles) so stay tuned! We'll also tweet about it, so make sure to follow us on twitter @HEXTCG (http://twitter.com/HEXTCG)!

vickrpg
05-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Step 1, Copy edited part of image.
Step 2, Paste over original image
Step 3, Ctrl Z + Ctrl Y until all differences are spotted.

Gwaer
05-18-2015, 09:55 AM
Dick move Vick. Hugely dick move.

Zophie
05-18-2015, 10:59 AM
Step 1, Copy edited part of image.
Step 2, Paste over original image
Step 3, Ctrl Z + Ctrl Y until all differences are spotted.

I crossed my eyes so that they lined up in a single image between the two, and the majority of the differences just kind of stood out at that point. Then to help me locate the smaller edits I took the pictures and broke them up into 4 sections each, putting each next to its edited counterpart and blowing them up larger, and continued with the cross-eyed method. The last two I wasn't sure of were the two color alterations, I noticed them by comparison but they didn't stand out when crossing my eyes. But by process of elimination I concluded they had to be the final two answers so I just went with it.

vickrpg
05-18-2015, 11:53 AM
Dick move Vick. Hugely dick move.

it would have been, had I entered or posted that "strategy" before the contest was over.

Gwaer
05-18-2015, 11:55 AM
There will be more of these spot the differences challenges in the future. The less people that use machine assisted techniques the better.

Zophie
05-18-2015, 11:58 AM
There will be more of these spot the differences challenges in the future. The less people that use machine assisted techniques the better.

My body is a machine that assists me every day of my life. I could definitely use some refurbishing though. And maybe a few upgrades.

Gwaer
05-18-2015, 11:59 AM
I use the stereoscopic approach, too. BTW. That one is way more fun.

http://i.imgur.com/Jfira.jpg

Salverus
05-18-2015, 12:06 PM

i think the challenge was to find this topic within the 2 hours, instead of finding the 10 differences :D

Gwaer
05-18-2015, 12:19 PM
I dunno, one of those differences was really tough =P

hacky
05-18-2015, 01:24 PM
I didn't end up entering (more packs for all of you!), but you may find a bitwise diff of the two images interesting.

Note: even with this, it was very hard to identify the added shadowy trim on the right side.
http://i.imgur.com/98KgLBc.png

Zophie
05-18-2015, 01:37 PM
I didn't end up entering (more packs for all of you!), but you may find a bitwise diff of the two images interesting.

Note: even with this, it was very hard to identify the added shadowy trim on the right side.

Adjust the contrast levels in your favorite image editor and even that shadowy trim will stand right out :)

That being said, this method kinda spoils the fun a bit, I'll stick with my cross eyed examinations thanks

Salverus
05-18-2015, 01:38 PM
I didnt enter the contest, so i can do this :D

http://i.imgur.com/fNRI9Bt.gif

poizonous
05-18-2015, 03:49 PM
All these "Alternate" versions of doing this probably ruin the potential that we will ever get new versions of this. Sad because it is fun when you dont actually cheat it

Phenteo
05-18-2015, 03:55 PM
All these "Alternate" versions of doing this probably ruin the potential that we will ever get new versions of this. Sad because it is fun when you dont actually cheat it

We can do more of these. There will always be a percentage of people who choose to allow a program to do the work for them versus actually trying to have fun. However, due to some color shifts the last image may have been close to impossible for people who were colorblind which means they have a really horrible advantage. Future images won't have color shifts to help support those who are colorblind.

hacky
05-18-2015, 04:56 PM

Nothing in the contest prohibits the use of a method. Stereoscopic methods, rapidly switching between the images to spot differences via motion, bitwise diff and image manipulation, or even using a group of people to share the burden with the intention of everyone entering.

Creating the bitwise diff was fun. Talking to other people about their methods and what they couldn't find was fun. This contest was fun. Thanks for holding it, Phenteo!

You're the one calling things "cheating". Even though none of it is.

Zophie
05-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Creating the bitwise diff was fun. Talking to other people about their methods and what they couldn't find was fun.

I do agree with this statement, I rather enjoy finding creative solutions to problems like this. Personally I still like testing my skill at working out the solution with as little external assistance as possible, but I also think these other methods are fun to work out as well.

Gwaer
05-18-2015, 05:01 PM
It kind of is cheating. The intent is clearly to spot the differences with your eyes. But it's one of those things you can't control.

hacky
05-18-2015, 05:01 PM
I do agree with this statement, I rather enjoy finding creative solutions to problems like this. Personally I still like testing my skill at working out the solution with as little external assistance as possible, but I also think these other methods are fun to work out as well.

You get it. I like working out as much of the puzzle as I can, as intended, before looking at the solution in the back of the book. :)

It kind of is cheating. The intent is clearly to spot the differences with your eyes. But it's one of those things you can't control.

Not indended, sure. But it's definitely not cheating. If it were cheating, it would be disallowed.

Gwaer
05-18-2015, 05:08 PM
Not all cheating is disallowed, because not all cheating can be disallowed, if it's against the intent of the exercise it's cheating. Will you be punished for doing it? Absolutely not, but you should feel bad.

hacky
05-18-2015, 05:09 PM
Not all cheating is disallowed, because not all cheating can be disallowed, if it's against the intent of the exercise it's cheating. Will you be punished for doing it? Absolutely not, but you should feel bad.

I will absolutely not feel bad. I took the problem, "find the differences", and applied a solution.

That's all I'll post on this topic. I have no intention of taking a fun contest and derail it into a witch hunt.

random post-thread thought: I just want a world where people are encouraged and rewarded for coming up with creative and out-of-the box solutions, not reviled and called "cheater" because it is not expected or intended, but not explicitly disallowed. The world needs more engineers, but if the world doesn't encourage thinking like an engineer...

Valnir
05-19-2015, 04:27 AM
What a good idea!
I always loved difference games and i think it is a very-very nice idea to make events like this! (unfortunately i missed 5..)
Very nice community, and great developers/staff! this is why I love HEX!