PDA

View Full Version : Where Are The Kickstarter Rewards?

Rapierian
05-16-2015, 08:14 AM
Now that equipment and PVE cards are in the game, it seems like a fair amount of the kickstarter rewards should be easy to implement.

Thrawn
05-16-2015, 08:29 AM
Beta, Soon™, Arena isn't full PvE, etc. etc.

Kami
05-16-2015, 08:42 AM
We're also still missing a lot of equipment, cards, and stuff - and I'm pretty sure it's because they are not easy to implement.

Kilo24
05-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Note that even if the Kickstarter/Slacker Backer benefits are individually easy to implement, they may not be easy to distribute. When you take into account the number of different tiers, double-checking the packages before they are sent out, whether or not the data is in a format they can easily pull from, and preparing for potential mistakes it may get a lot messier. They may be waiting to bundle the Kickstarter/Slacker Backer content in big chunks to stop the process from getting too complicated - which would mean that the low-hanging fruit have to wait on the harder stuff.

Kroan
05-16-2015, 01:18 PM
They specifically stated they wanted to wait with awarding random equipment until more equipment is in the game, otherwise you might end up with the same equipment multiple times :)

katkillad
05-16-2015, 04:05 PM
WTB Uruunaz starter deck.

Rapierian
05-17-2015, 07:44 AM
Okay, so maybe they're waiting on the equipment until there's more equipment in the game so you don't get a flood of it. But what about the kickstarter exclusive pve cards?

Don't tell me it's because they're "hard to implement". If the cards are hard to implement, then they've done a piss-poor job of programming this game.

Xenavire
05-17-2015, 07:57 AM
Okay, so maybe they're waiting on the equipment until there's more equipment in the game so you don't get a flood of it. But what about the kickstarter exclusive pve cards?

Don't tell me it's because they're "hard to implement". If the cards are hard to implement, then they've done a piss-poor job of programming this game.

Considering how unique each of the KS card effects are... I don't see why it is unreasonable to think that they are difficult to code. even the most simple one is not entirely trivial.

Kroan
05-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Don't tell me it's because they're "hard to implement". If the cards are hard to implement, then they've done a piss-poor job of programming this game. Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about xD

Thrawn
05-17-2015, 09:31 AM
Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about xD

Which will now for the 100th time fire off a bunch of posts where probably 95% of people have no clue what they are talking about, 4% of people took one programming class in college and think they are experts and less than 1% might actually have relevant game design and programming knowledge that is aplicable. :p

Rapierian
05-17-2015, 10:46 AM
Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about xD

I happen to be the senior-most software engineer at a $100 million software company that's doubled in size for 3 years running (and expects to double for the next 3 years, as well), and have a masters in software engineering, specializing in dynamic programming techniques. I think I'm qualified to speak on creating scripting engines, since that's a major part of what I do.

I'll reiterate my statement: If Cryptozoiac has created a card game where it's hard to implement new cards, they've done a poor job in design, not only from a programming perspective, but from a business priorities perspective. This is a card game. Adding new cards should be the absolute easiest thing to do when working with the game, or you've really missed the ball.

hacky
05-17-2015, 11:22 AM
I happen to be the senior-most software engineer at a $100 million software company that's doubled in size for 3 years running (and expects to double for the next 3 years, as well), and have a masters in software engineering, specializing in dynamic programming techniques. I think I'm qualified to speak on creating scripting engines, since that's a major part of what I do.

For a moment, I thought I was reading your resume.

Though, given your senior engineer status, does it cross your mind that there could be non-coding reasons that new content can be complicated? Waiting on art assets, features being gated by other features, working with legacy code that is usable but slightly less than ideal...

And even if I were the most-senior engineer where I worked, I wouldn't ever imply that I was the sole reason for a company's growth, because that's both unlikely and a little bit pretentious. And company growth could mean many things, did your engineering team grow because you need more engineers to handle increasing development work? Or did other departments grow as well?

That said, I don't disagree with your point. A system of any kind should be designed well enough for its immediate purpose, and facilitate future expansion. What I will disagree with you on, as a software engineer myself, is your stance on laying blame as an outsider.

Rapierian
05-17-2015, 11:32 AM
For a moment, I thought I was reading your resume.

Though, given your senior engineer status, does it cross your mind that there could be non-coding reasons that new content can be complicated? Waiting on art assets, features being gated by other features, working with legacy code that is usable but slightly less than ideal...

And even if I were the most-senior engineer where I worked, I wouldn't ever imply that I was the sole reason for a company's growth, because that's both unlikely and a little bit pretentious. And company growth could mean many things, did your engineering team grow because you need more engineers to handle increasing development work? Or did other departments grow as well?

That said, I don't disagree with your point. A system of any kind should be designed well enough for its immediate purpose, and facilitate future expansion. What I will disagree with you on, as a software engineer myself, is your stance on laying blame as an outsider.

I wasn't trying to imply I was the sole reason for my company's growth, only trying to back my claim that I know a thing or two about programming, and that the reason we haven't received equipment or pve cards yet shouldn't be difficulty of implementation.

As to non-coding reasons why the new content is held up, that's probably the main thing I'm enquiring about. Now that PVE cards and equipment are in the game, what's the hold-up for why we haven't gotten our kickstarter rewards yet?

hacky
05-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Yep, fine with just going back to the original topic too. :)

I'll line item what I think about my missing Grand King rewards: http://hextcg.com/hex-backer-rewards

• Dragon’s Blood Starter Deck - gated by foil uruunaz, foil treatment not in game, likely linked to double back
• 15 SET 3 Packs - waiting on set 3 release

PVE cards and equipment - while probably implementable already, it's enough cards and equipment that it could have held back the Arena launch further if it had to wait for all of these. If we get our first campaign update and we still don't any of these, I'd be more concerned. (we did get word that the next update after set 3 is the start of the PVE campaign, via cory @ RPC)
• 3 Princess Cory w/ Equipment
• 3 Chest ‘O Hex w/Equipment
• 3 Lady Cassandra
• 3 Void Marauder
• 3 Spectral Assassin w/ Equipment
• 3 Orson’s Dream w/ Equipment
• 3 The Crowd Roars! w/ Equipment
• 3 Prospero, Sylvan Enchanter
• 3 Moment of Glory w/ Equipment
• 3 Ninja Training w/ Equipment
• 3 Hand of Uruunaz
• 3 Wrath of Zakiir
• 2 Spectral Lotus Garden
• All Equipment for Replicator’s Gambit, Princess Victoria, and Extinction,
Lady Cassandra, Void Marauder, Prospero, Scourge Knight, The Wrath of Zakiir, Ragefire, and Pack Raptor
[Sleight of Hand, The Mirrorblade, Patience, Beauty, Helm of the Fallen, Survivor, Grips of the Unfortunate End, Modular Breastplate, Prince Talysen’s Ring, Tentacled Fingers, Cowl of Emptiness, Enchanter’s Footwraps, Conjurer’s Headcover, Beckoner, Summoner’s Hauberk, Will of the Dragon, Shard of Zakiir, Staff of the Devouring Conflagration, Fuse Striker Boots, Raptor Boots, The Calling Blade]
• All Equipment for Spectral Lotus Garden

• 1 <Raid Leader>’s Blessing - raids not implemented yet

Mercenaries - mercenaries not implmented yet, could be presented as items like the current redeemable mercenaries, but not too much point without them being useable
• 1 Zoltog
• 1 Burgamat Ebonrock
• 1 Bebo
• 1 Moof
• 1 Glorfenbort
• 1 Mephistophelius
• 1 Cardboard Tube Samurai
• 1 Monkey of the Nine Tails
• 1 Aethynia

Random Equipment - looks like they are waiting for a much larger pool of equipment available before doling out random stuff. would likely be during a release with a significant amount of pve cards/equipment available, as well as most of set 1/2.
• 2 Random Legendary Equipment
• 20 Random Rare/Legendary Equipment

• Name in Credits as a KS Backer - where's the credits? :)
• 1 of Each Crafting Material - crafting is not yet implemented
• +1 Card in Opening Hands in Raids for Life - raids not yet implemented (same as raid leader's blessing card)
• +10% PvE Experience for ALL Members of the Guild Master’s Guild for Life - guilds not yet implemented
• KS Exclusive tournament for Pro Player Tier (winner gets 4 of every card at release) - tournament has not occurred

HexCon - not yet scheduled
• HexCon Invite
• HexCon Preview Night Invite

Xenavire
05-17-2015, 12:24 PM
I wasn't trying to imply I was the sole reason for my company's growth, only trying to back my claim that I know a thing or two about programming, and that the reason we haven't received equipment or pve cards yet shouldn't be difficulty of implementation.

As to non-coding reasons why the new content is held up, that's probably the main thing I'm enquiring about. Now that PVE cards and equipment are in the game, what's the hold-up for why we haven't gotten our kickstarter rewards yet?

Complexity (the most complex cards take significantly longer to implement) and priorities (it wasn't even viable to prioritise them until arena is out, and they simply weren't done one major build ago.)

Honestly, complaining about not having the PvE rewards in the very first PvE build is a little naive. If they aren't implemented before dungeons however, then sure, we have a great reason to complain.

RanaDunes
05-17-2015, 12:41 PM
To be honest guys I'm concerned about the progress of the game. I mean by now we at least should have scheduled Set releases (didn't they say it would be quarterly or at worse three times a year?). If HexEnt can't even schedule their Set releases then the community is going to lose faith.

If it took months just to release a simple Arena... oh boy I wonder how long it would take to see all those promised features done. DoubleBack/Stats, Guilds, Better Chat, PvE/MMO part, asynch match, Crafting, and the long list continues. If it's going to take four months to implement each feature; we're talking about 2017 release at best.

The good thing is; I've been playing Hex NON-STOP since Alpha and that's something really hard to pull. I am satisfied with only the PvP section of the game but what I can't understand is the vague Set Release Schedule. At least give us an annual schedule please. :/

Xenavire
05-17-2015, 12:46 PM
To be honest guys I'm concerned about the progress of the game. I mean by now we at least should have scheduled Set releases (didn't they say it would be quarterly or at worse three times a year?). If HexEnt can't even schedule their Set releases then the community is going to lose faith.

If it took months just to release a simple Arena... oh boy I wonder how long it would take to see all those promised features done. DoubleBack/Stats, Guilds, Better Chat, PvE/MMO part, asynch match, Crafting, and the long list continues. If it's going to take four months to implement each feature; we're talking about 2017 release at best.

The good thing is; I've been playing Hex NON-STOP since Alpha and that's something really hard to pull. I am satisfied with only the PvP section of the game but what I can't understand is the vague Set Release Schedule. At least give us an annual schedule please. :/

While the game is still in beta, there is no need to be concerned about the lack of scheduled set released - we already have enough advocates saying we should get any new sets at all, and there is a metric ton of content that has to be implemented. If set release time suffers for that, for now, thats fine.

If this is a pattern after we see full release, thats a serious sign that something is wrong.

Thrawn
05-17-2015, 01:01 PM
If set release time suffers for that, for now, thats fine.

Disagree. It could be years before we see "full release". Set release is probably the most important piece of the entire genre. The sooner it's on a reliable schedule the better.

Xenavire
05-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Disagree. It could be years before we see "full release". Set release is probably the most important piece of the entire genre, the sooner it's on a reliable schedule the better.

While I can't argue that it would be better for the game if they were regular (I completely agree), the fact remains that staggered set releases is better for the health of the game as long as there are constant content releases. The more they stagger the other content, the longer it will take to reach the full release, only compounding the issue. So sets are the one that take a (minor) hit in the meantime.

Thrawn
05-17-2015, 01:07 PM
Regular set releases with constant content release would be better for the health of the game.

Fyren
05-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Regular set releases with constant content release would be better for the health of the game.

Obviously. If I understand correctly, Xenavire is positing (and giving her[?] answer to) the question: If you have to pick one, which do you choose?

RanaDunes
05-17-2015, 01:15 PM
While the game is still in beta, there is no need to be concerned about the lack of scheduled set released - we already have enough advocates saying we should get any new sets at all, and there is a metric ton of content that has to be implemented. If set release time suffers for that, for now, thats fine.

If this is a pattern after we see full release, thats a serious sign that something is wrong.

But I thought you told me before the game was released?
Are we in Beta or is the game released? :p I am confused.

Thrawn
Obviously. If I understand correctly, Xenavire is positing (and giving her[?] answer to) the question: If you have to pick one, which do you choose?

I don't think waiting until we are at "full release" is really viable though. Cory and the team seem likely to ALWAYS be adding new ideas and working on new things and having great, huge, crazy things that will take a lot of work and time to implement. I don't picture them ever being at a point where they say "Ok, I guess we've got enough cool stuff, we don't need any more, lets slow down and focus on set releases." For all we know it could be another two years before we are fully out of beta.

So my two cents is that I'd rather see us just get on constant set releases as soon as possible to have a huge important part of the game solidly in place.

Xenavire

Arena is proving you wrong. There are more players on right now than there were pre set 2. That repeatable content has proven to be a huge boon, and the more features we get like that, the better.

But we all know you only care about the PvP aspects, you your opinion is pretty much worthless when we consider the game as a whole. I do think you should stay out of discussions about PvE since you never have anything useful to say. :p (I don't think your opinion is invalid, just not useful right at this point since of your bias.)

RanaDunes - the game is in beta. During beta slipping dates aren't the end of the world (or the game would have died already.) After full release it is a little different.

Thrawn
05-17-2015, 01:20 PM
Arena is proving you wrong. There are more players on right now than there were pre set 2. That repeatable content has proven to be a huge boon, and the more features we get like that, the better.

But we all know you only care about the PvP aspects, you your opinion is pretty much worthless when we consider the game as a whole. I do think you should stay out of discussions about PvE since you never have anything useful to say. :p

Wait, Arena being good proves that having regular set releases AND regular new content side by side wouldn't be good for the game? :confused:

If I posted in a thread telling someone "You only play PvE, so your opinion of the game as a whole doesn't matter, GTFO." you'd be jumping all over me calling me a troll.

Xenavire
05-17-2015, 01:21 PM
I don't think waiting until we are at "full release" is really viable though. Cory and the team seem likely to ALWAYS be adding new ideas and working on new things and having great, huge, crazy things that will take a lot of work and time to implement. I don't picture them ever being at a point where they say "Ok, I guess we've got enough cool stuff, we don't need any more, lets slow down and focus on set releases." For all we know it could be another two years before we are fully out of beta.

So my two cents is that I'd rather see us just get on constant set releases as soon as possible to have a huge important part of the game solidly in place.

As far as I am aware, all 'full release' needs is the KS promises fulfilled, by and large. Tablets, dungeons/raids, a few odds and ends, and core mechanics/features solid and working. After that all content should be on a regular schedule, as all the major hurdles will have been covered.

Take a look at WoW as an example - they add new features all the time, but they have regular releases. Hex will be the same once the core of the game (in terms of PvP and PvE) are to a suitable standard. And when there is something new and cool, it will be added whenever they can add it, it won't force other delays.

Xenavire
05-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Wait, Arena being good proves that having regular set releases AND regular new content side by side would be bad for the game? :confused:

If I posted in a thread telling someone "You only play PvE, so your opinion of the game as a whole doesn't matter, GTFO." you'd be jumping all over me calling me a troll.

If you want me to clarify, lets take it to PM's. But, in short, I am saying your bias makes you opinion in the argument fairly useless. Your idea of a healthy game is PvP 24/7 - while the reality is somewhat different. I am not even trying to call you a troll, I am just saying you are ignoring every valid point made that supports PvP sets being delayed for any reason (in other words, you are being a little irrational in your defence of PvP set releases.)

magic_gazz
05-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Disagree. It could be years before we see "full release". Set release is probably the most important piece of the entire genre. The sooner it's on a reliable schedule the better.

This is correct.

Set releases are where they make the bulk of their money.

I don't see how people can disagree with this.

Xenavire
05-17-2015, 02:19 PM
This is correct.

Set releases are where they make the bulk of their money.

I don't see how people can disagree with this.

Because regular set releases just makes this a more interesting MTG. Hex has to actually stand apart or it won't grow, which is why slightly delayed sets that enable faster PvE content pushes is what is healthiest for the game, right now. Once the core PvE features are in, then the focus should be on getting out set releases (and hopefully PvE content at the same speed.)

I mean, in an ideal world, PvE content releases and set releases would be working like clockwork already, but in the absence of that option, staggered releases of both types of content is what is best for the game. Putting 100% focus on either one and ignoring the other would just cripple the game at this point, especially from a marketing standpoint.

Thrawn
05-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Because regular set releases just makes this a more interesting MTG.

Without regular set releases it's just a worse MTGO to the people who are used to spending way too much money on digital cards.

Kami
05-17-2015, 03:16 PM
Although now I'm curious if they will release 'expansion' sets beyond core set releases.

strylght
05-17-2015, 06:31 PM
The way I see it, scheduled set releases is a necessary component of a released TCG.

For a regular video game, core feature development happens pre-release and then, after release, most of the time, this slows to a trickle of bug fixes. Why should Hex be different? Maybe Hex's pre-release development needs to focus on development and implementation of its core release-candidate features, possibly to the detriment of pre-(game)release set releases.

A certain number of sets already released is not a specific condition of said release-candidate but a schedule going forward is. As are the KS promised core features.

I don't think anyone can disagree that, post-release, regular new sets are what will make CZE money but pre-release is for development of the game, not the content. Does this make sense?

On the subject of Kickstarter rewards. Well, correct me if I'm wrong but, you're not necessarily entitled to them till launch, right? So, perhaps they are justified in putting their resources into getting everything else ready for launch first, then implementing your rewards, then launching. As an unfortunate non-backer, I would certainly vote for this way of doing things. ;)

Thrawn
05-17-2015, 07:50 PM
A TCG that spends years in beta and doesn't release new sets seems likely to end up as a dead game that never launched since it quits bringing in income or new players and probably bleeds current players pretty badly.

magic_gazz
05-17-2015, 08:37 PM
The way I see it, scheduled set releases is a necessary component of a released TCG.

For a regular video game, core feature development happens pre-release and then, after release, most of the time, this slows to a trickle of bug fixes. Why should Hex be different? Maybe Hex's pre-release development needs to focus on development and implementation of its core release-candidate features, possibly to the detriment of pre-(game)release set releases.

A certain number of sets already released is not a specific condition of said release-candidate but a schedule going forward is. As are the KS promised core features.

I don't think anyone can disagree that, post-release, regular new sets are what will make CZE money but pre-release is for development of the game, not the content. Does this make sense?

On the subject of Kickstarter rewards. Well, correct me if I'm wrong but, you're not necessarily entitled to them till launch, right? So, perhaps they are justified in putting their resources into getting everything else ready for launch first, then implementing your rewards, then launching. As an unfortunate non-backer, I would certainly vote for this way of doing things. ;)

A TCG is not a video game though, so the comparison does not work.

Like Thrawn said, without regular releases a TCG dies.

Fyren
05-17-2015, 11:18 PM
A TCG is not a video game though, so the comparison does not work.

I... have trouble with this line of reasoning. Hex is both a TCG and a video game. If Strylight's reasoning is inapplicable, this is not why.

Hex kind of exists in this weird limbo between a functioning, released product and a beta. The line of what constitutes "Released" has blurred a lot over the last decade, with open betas, Early Access games, and the like, but that's kind of the case even moreso with Hex; I couldn't tell you offhand whether or not we're in closed or open beta with this game.

If thought of as an active MMO, however, MMOs thrive as long as they are continually releasing something that keeps people paying and/or playing. I would posit that sets are not the sole singular method of accomplishing this; and that the promise of the game itself was not founded solely on 'regular releases of new cards,' but the unique way in which those cards can interact in a purely digital environment hybridized with MMORPG gameplay.

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 03:52 AM
A TCG that spends years in beta and doesn't release new sets seems likely to end up as a dead game that never launched since it quits bringing in income or new players and probably bleeds current players pretty badly.

See, here we agree - sets have to drop within a certain timeframe. I just think that timeframe can (and will) be stretched when needed. And I believe that is better for the game (as I mentioned, arena bridged a gap in the wake of set 2, that in set 1 became a hideous dead zone. We still have a ton of active players and new players joining daily, which is a massive improvement over the period in time between beta launch and set 2.)

So after set 3, dropping PvE content again (even if it pushes set 4 back by months) is the best move. We have the base of the model already working, and the difference it has made is staggering.

magic_gazz
05-18-2015, 04:36 AM
See, here we agree - sets have to drop within a certain timeframe. I just think that timeframe can (and will) be stretched when needed. And I believe that is better for the game (as I mentioned, arena bridged a gap in the wake of set 2, that in set 1 became a hideous dead zone. We still have a ton of active players and new players joining daily, which is a massive improvement over the period in time between beta launch and set 2.)

So after set 3, dropping PvE content again (even if it pushes set 4 back by months) is the best move. We have the base of the model already working, and the difference it has made is staggering.

You say there are a ton of active players and new players joining daily. Where are you getting this information?

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 04:40 AM
You say there are a ton of active players and new players joining daily. Where are you getting this information?

Simple observation - and even if the numbers aren't particularly high on either count, it doesn't take a blind man to see that the current activity is FAR better than the lead up to set 2. The game was so dead that some days seemed to only have about 50 players (at peak) logged in at a time.

strylght
05-18-2015, 08:09 AM

Right, but Hex is releasing sets, we have one right round the corner. I don't think, however, that releasing sets on a tight schedule should necessarily be a priority before release. If they get pushed back due to implementation of what I call core features, like PvE content, a half decent Auction House and chat then I think that is a good thing before release.

I appreciate that release or launch is a kind of flimsy concept nowadays, especially with Hex. Lets take it to mean that, until we have things like a half decent Auction House, chat and extensive PvE, I doubt the official launch will happen. It is this point at which I am tightly suggesting that scheduled sets should become a priority to the detriment of more core content.

Thrawn
05-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Right, but Hex is releasing sets, we have one right round the corner. I don't think, however, that releasing sets on a tight schedule should necessarily be a priority before release. If they get pushed back due to implementation of what I call core features, like PvE content, a half decent Auction House and chat then I think that is a good thing before release.

I appreciate that release or launch is a kind of flimsy concept nowadays, especially with Hex. Lets take it to mean that, until we have things like a half decent Auction House, chat and extensive PvE, I doubt the official launch will happen. It is this point at which I am tightly suggesting that scheduled sets should become a priority to the detriment of more core content.

I understand the counter argument that is being made, I just don't agree with it.

Tazelbain
05-18-2015, 09:20 AM
I will always consider in thing that accepts my money in exchange for goods and services to be released. Hex can brand it anyway they want, but that doesn't change the underline reality that gamers tend get bored and move on without the new shiny to keep their attention.

hex_colin
05-18-2015, 09:49 AM
I find it hard to understand why people care so much about whatever label they're using to describe the release state. Am I able to play? Do I enjoy playing? Thanks all that matters to me.

KingGabriel
05-18-2015, 09:52 AM
I find it hard to understand why people care so much about whatever label they're using to describe the release state. Am I able to play? Do I enjoy playing? Thanks all that matters to me.

Already lightyears ahead of the competition in my opinion, and barely the tip of the iceberg :)

Saeijou
05-18-2015, 10:00 AM
Well... the Kickstater perks are only effecting some people... I would put it on a low priority as well... I don't know, why everyone is bothered.

And I mean... they know, that they are behind... and give us some compensation for it... 6 MONTH MORE HYPE!!!!

I don't like people that only look onto the bad parts... so I definitly have to agree with colin...

The game is there, the game is awesome... be patient and see what happened! So far our dragons haven't let us down

EntropyBall
05-18-2015, 10:01 AM

The label gets debated every time someone uses the "but its only beta" defense in support of something in Hex. So people either hash out what that really means (not really possible) or stop using that as a defense (also never going to happen). FWIW, I don't think Hex is a beta. Its freely available to everyone, and it's accepting my money for a product that I get immediately (i.e. not a pre-order).

Edit: and it is one of only 2 games I play in my free time now. So I obviously think its good.

rjselzler
05-18-2015, 10:08 AM
I don't think waiting until we are at "full release" is really viable though.

As far as I am aware, all 'full release' needs is the KS promises fulfilled, by and large.

That is all.

Yoss
05-18-2015, 10:38 AM
Thread derailed badly back at post 16. Going back to the topic:

Yep, fine with just going back to the original topic too. :)

I'll line item what I think about my missing Grand King rewards: http://hextcg.com/hex-backer-rewards

• Dragon’s Blood Starter Deck - gated by foil uruunaz, foil treatment not in game, likely linked to double back
• 15 SET 3 Packs - waiting on set 3 release

PVE cards and equipment - while probably implementable already, it's enough cards and equipment that it could have held back the Arena launch further if it had to wait for all of these. If we get our first campaign update and we still don't any of these, I'd be more concerned. (we did get word that the next update after set 3 is the start of the PVE campaign, via cory @ RPC)
• 3 Princess Cory w/ Equipment
• 3 Chest ‘O Hex w/Equipment
• 3 Lady Cassandra
• 3 Void Marauder
• 3 Spectral Assassin w/ Equipment
• 3 Orson’s Dream w/ Equipment
• 3 The Crowd Roars! w/ Equipment
• 3 Prospero, Sylvan Enchanter
• 3 Moment of Glory w/ Equipment
• 3 Ninja Training w/ Equipment
• 3 Hand of Uruunaz
• 3 Wrath of Zakiir
• 2 Spectral Lotus Garden
• All Equipment for Replicator’s Gambit, Princess Victoria, and Extinction,
Lady Cassandra, Void Marauder, Prospero, Scourge Knight, The Wrath of Zakiir, Ragefire, and Pack Raptor
[Sleight of Hand, The Mirrorblade, Patience, Beauty, Helm of the Fallen, Survivor, Grips of the Unfortunate End, Modular Breastplate, Prince Talysen’s Ring, Tentacled Fingers, Cowl of Emptiness, Enchanter’s Footwraps, Conjurer’s Headcover, Beckoner, Summoner’s Hauberk, Will of the Dragon, Shard of Zakiir, Staff of the Devouring Conflagration, Fuse Striker Boots, Raptor Boots, The Calling Blade]
• All Equipment for Spectral Lotus Garden

• 1 <Raid Leader>’s Blessing - raids not implemented yet

Mercenaries - mercenaries not implmented yet, could be presented as items like the current redeemable mercenaries, but not too much point without them being useable
• 1 Zoltog
• 1 Burgamat Ebonrock
• 1 Bebo
• 1 Moof
• 1 Glorfenbort
• 1 Mephistophelius
• 1 Cardboard Tube Samurai
• 1 Monkey of the Nine Tails
• 1 Aethynia

Random Equipment - looks like they are waiting for a much larger pool of equipment available before doling out random stuff. would likely be during a release with a significant amount of pve cards/equipment available, as well as most of set 1/2.
• 2 Random Legendary Equipment
• 20 Random Rare/Legendary Equipment

• Name in Credits as a KS Backer - where's the credits? :)
• 1 of Each Crafting Material - crafting is not yet implemented
• +1 Card in Opening Hands in Raids for Life - raids not yet implemented (same as raid leader's blessing card)
• +10% PvE Experience for ALL Members of the Guild Master’s Guild for Life - guilds not yet implemented
• KS Exclusive tournament for Pro Player Tier (winner gets 4 of every card at release) - tournament has not occurred

HexCon - not yet scheduled
• HexCon Invite
• HexCon Preview Night Invite

Seems the OP is pointing at the "PvE Cards and Equipment" portion there. Except for the Lotus Garden, there's no systematic reason the rest of that list couldn't be in the game right now. The only thing keeping them back should be priority calls for programming, but as the OP said, adding new cards/equipment should hopefully be the simplest thing in Hex since that's the core thing for the game going forward; the dev tools for those two item types should be very good and very fast, to the point that R&D could even do most of the "coding" through an internal GUI (assuming use of existing keywords and abilities). A new ability would of course require scripting before an item could make use of that ability.

I suppose it all gets back to a question whose answer we are always wanting to know: "what's on the priority list and in what order?"

Saeijou
05-18-2015, 10:43 AM
Thread derailed badly back at post 16. Going back to the topic:

Seems the OP is pointing at the "PvE Cards and Equipment" portion there. Except for the Lotus Garden, there's no systematic reason the rest of that list couldn't be in the game right now. The only thing keeping them back should be priority calls for programming, but as the OP said, adding new cards/equipment should hopefully be the simplest thing in Hex since that's the core thing for the game going forward; the dev tools for those two item types should be very good and very fast, to the point that R&D could even do most of the "coding" through an internal GUI (assuming use of existing keywords and abilities). A new ability would of course require scripting before an item could make use of that ability.

I suppose it all gets back to a question whose answer we are always wanting to know: "what's on the priority list and in what order?"

The cards are probably in the system already... but they would break the environment/AI, if you use them I guess.

the AI is still the weakest point here...

strylght
05-18-2015, 11:31 AM

I don't really care when they slap a particular label on the game, I'm just making an argument for the things I think should be prioritized at this point in Hex's life cycle, whatever it is labelled. Trust me, I'm not interested in anything beyond my enjoyment of the game (and I DO enjoy it already) but that enjoyment does depend on its existence and its future existence is likely to depend on many of the factors being discussed. ;)

EDIT:

The label gets debated every time someone uses the "but its only beta" defense in support of something in Hex. So people either hash out what that really means (not really possible) or stop using that as a defense (also never going to happen). FWIW, I don't think Hex is a beta. Its freely available to everyone, and it's accepting my money for a product that I get immediately (i.e. not a pre-order).

Personally, I think the state of the game is whatever CZE say it is, not what you think it is. So when people ask "Why do we not have this particular feature in the game yet?" and people reply "well, the game is in beta according to CZE, which means they are still working on said features and others" it seems like a sensible retort to me. Beta, for the intents and purposes of discussions like this and in the particular case of Hex, means 'not feature-complete' so it seems like a pretty good defence for the game lacking a particular feature.
END EDIT

--
But as Yoss says, the discussion is about KS rewards not set schedules. I think the same point rings true. Features first, bonuses later. In my opinion, that's what the priorities should be. Obviously the KS rewards are promises that need to be kept, but we're not at the deadline for those promises yet, so patience should be exercised.
If on the other hand, implementing these rewards is as much as a flip of a switch, well, there are clearly other reasons for that switch not being flipped yet and, to be honest, I'm glad CZE are focusing hard on the things which aren't so simple.

RanaDunes
05-18-2015, 12:13 PM

It doesn't matter if the game is released or not released. But Set release schedule, in my opinion, is very healthy for Hex's growth.

Game status being "released" or not matters with one thing though; my kickstarter rewards. It's a long discussion where everyone claimed game was released hence ~90 of us will not get our rewards (Dragon Lord tier and the tier above?). I think that some rewards were forgotten since there aren't many of us there. That's why I was surprised when Xen claimed game isn't released yet when I think I remember him arguing that the game was released and our reward shouldn't cover Set 02 (or potentially Set 03).

plaguedealer
05-18-2015, 12:18 PM
The bottom line is that the vast majority of kick starter rewards that have not been implemented are not currently needed. I would not use a spectral lotus in arena and I don't need orson's dream right now. I would also be upset if all the kickstarter equipment came from the arena.

magic_gazz
05-18-2015, 01:11 PM
Simple observation - and even if the numbers aren't particularly high on either count, it doesn't take a blind man to see that the current activity is FAR better than the lead up to set 2. The game was so dead that some days seemed to only have about 50 players (at peak) logged in at a time.

Observation of what?

Assuming people are playing arena, how do you know how many players are online?

You sound like you are talking with evidence to back up your statements but are not giving any evidence. Do you have access to how many people are logged in at a time? If not it sounds like you are just guessing.

magic_gazz
05-18-2015, 01:15 PM
It doesn't matter if the game is released or not released. But Set release schedule, in my opinion, is very healthy for Hex's growth.

Game status being "released" or not matters with one thing though; my kickstarter rewards. It's a long discussion where everyone claimed game was released hence ~90 of us will not get our rewards (Dragon Lord tier and the tier above?). I think that some rewards were forgotten since there aren't many of us there. That's why I was surprised when Xen claimed game isn't released yet when I think I remember him arguing that the game was released and our reward shouldn't cover Set 02 (or potentially Set 03).

The game is not released to excuse any incomplete features, the game is released with regards to you getting X of each card at release.

Its called biased arguing.

strylght
05-18-2015, 01:19 PM
The game is not released to excuse any incomplete features, the game is released with regards to you getting X of each card at release.

Its called biased arguing.

No excuse for incomplete features is really needed beyond them not being complete. The game is not released because the features are not complete, not the other way around.

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 01:25 PM
Observation of what?

Assuming people are playing arena, how do you know how many players are online?

You sound like you are talking with evidence to back up your statements but are not giving any evidence. Do you have access to how many people are logged in at a time? If not it sounds like you are just guessing.

I don't have solid stats, but I am logged into the game quite a lot, and see chat activity, PG activity, etc. I haven't been given any inside info to the number of logins, but I don't need any proof to say that there is no doubt here - there are more players playing actively now than there were prior to the set 2 launch.

If you see an issue with my reasoning, give me a reason to doubt it - show me some proof that there are less or equal amounts of players in comparison to the set 2 lead up.

Thrawn
05-18-2015, 01:30 PM
I don't have solid stats, but I am logged into the game quite a lot, and see chat activity, PG activity, etc. I haven't been given any inside info to the number of logins, but I don't need any proof to say that there is no doubt here - there are more players playing actively now than there were prior to the set 2 launch.

If you see an issue with my reasoning, give me a reason to doubt it - show me some proof that there are less or equal amounts of players in comparison to the set 2 lead up.

I don't have solid stats, but I am logged into the game quite a lot, and see chat activity, PG activity, etc. I haven't been given any inside info to the number of logins, but I don't need any proof to say that there is no doubt here - there are less players playing actively now than there were prior to the set 2 launch.

If you see an issue with my reasoning, give me a reason to doubt it - show me some proof that there are more or equal amounts of players in comparison to the set 2 lead up.

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 01:31 PM
I don't have solid stats, but I am logged into the game quite a lot, and see chat activity, PG activity, etc. I haven't been given any inside info to the number of logins, but I don't need any proof to say that there is no doubt here - there are less players playing actively now than there were prior to the set 2 launch.

If you see an issue with my reasoning, give me a reason to doubt it - show me some proof that there are more or equal amounts of players in comparison to the set 2 lead up.

Except that anyone active during both periods of time would know you are just trolling. ;)

The difference here is that my claim is easily backed up just by logging into the game - there is activity. Pre-set 2 (especially late October/early November) there was almost no activity.

Fyren
05-18-2015, 01:37 PM

That reasoning is anecdotal, and the human brain is just staggeringly overloaded with ways it can deceive itself in the absence of data.

Fortunately there's a bit of data that does seem to back you up:

http://hexprice.com/generalstats

If we take the amount of AH activity as a gauge of active playership (Which is a questionable assumption, but it's the best data I have) then the introduction of even the barest amount of demo-level PVE caused a much bigger stir than even the Set 2 release. Plat trades in the month and a half following Set 2 are about the same as they are after Frost Ring, but gold-based trades have steadily risen since then.

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 01:46 PM
That reasoning is anecdotal, and the human brain is just staggeringly overloaded with ways it can deceive itself in the absence of data.

Fortunately there's a bit of data that does seem to back you up:

http://hexprice.com/generalstats

If we take the amount of AH activity as a gauge of active playership (Which is a questionable assumption, but it's the best data I have) then the introduction of even the barest amount of demo-level PVE caused a much bigger stir than even the Set 2 release. Plat trades in the month and a half following Set 2 are about the same as they are after Frost Ring, but gold-based trades have steadily risen since then.

There is anecdotal, and then there is glaringly obvious. :p

Considering the facts, it is easy to come to my conclusion. We just have the troll brigade jumping down my throat because they are bored (not that I consider them trolls, usually, but today they are really going for it.) But, lets check the facts quickly...

Pre set 2: Beta was invite only. Set 1 had been actively played (even incomplete) for a year. There was no PvE, and very few community tournaments active.

Now: Beta is open for people to opt in, we have been in set 2 for less than 6 months, we have arena, and there was recently a major community event.

Just sitting in the game watching chat can show you the vast differences between the two periods, and anyone trying to refute that honestly looks a little silly, anecdotal evidence or not.

magic_gazz
05-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Xen, you are the one making claims, therefore it is on you to prove them, not on me to disprove them.

There are threads on the front page of the forum from players asking if drafts ever fire and why there were only 4 people in PG. It seems their experience does not line up with yours.

Are there more people now than in the lead up to set 2? You had better damn well hope so. Otherwise the player base is not growing. The question is more is there a sufficient number more?

I myself have pretty much stopped logging on as I am bored of set 2 (don't feel the format was as fun as set 1) and am bored of arena (don't like grinding and the RNG annoys me) and constructed almost never fires.

Seeing as how I had seen a lot of people saying they enjoyed set 2 draft a lot less than set 1 draft, I have to assume I am not the only one. When I have logged in the drafts are not firing as fast, no one is signing up for constructed and chat is mostly the same people as it was before.

Fyren
05-18-2015, 01:57 PM
There is anecdotal, and then there is glaringly obvious. :p

Wasn't glaringly obvious to me. I've been playing for under 3 months. I've not seen previous chat activity speeds, nor tracked them. The human brain is capable of serious faulty correlation/causation fallacies and confirmation bias, so I want data!

Considering the facts, it is easy to come to my conclusion.

It is easy to come to your conclusion. What I'm saying is that there are more solid and better documented reasons to come to your conclusion than "Because chat is obviously more active." The things you cite in your recent post are possible and reasonable causes of increased player activity, but are not actual evidence that there are more players playing.

Just sitting in the game watching chat can show you the vast differences between the two periods, and anyone trying to refute that honestly looks a little silly, anecdotal evidence or not.

To me, you looked silly asserting it without evidence!

Aradon
05-18-2015, 01:58 PM
I love this post. Thanks, science!

plaguedealer
05-18-2015, 01:59 PM
I have drafted alot and have seen the trends since beginning. Honestly I enjoyed 1-1-1 more then 2-2-1. However the number of drafts firing currently are signifantly more then what it was like right before set 2 hit. One major explanation is there probably new people drafting.

Right before set 2 hit I would almost literally see the same people in my drafting que on a daily basis. I now see alot of people I dont recognize.

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Xen, you are the one making claims, therefore it is on you to prove them, not on me to disprove them.

There are threads on the front page of the forum from players asking if drafts ever fire and why there were only 4 people in PG. It seems their experience does not line up with yours.

Are there more people now than in the lead up to set 2? You had better damn well hope so. Otherwise the player base is not growing. The question is more is there a sufficient number more?

I myself have pretty much stopped logging on as I am bored of set 2 (don't feel the format was as fun as set 1) and am bored of arena (don't like grinding and the RNG annoys me) and constructed almost never fires.

Seeing as how I had seen a lot of people saying they enjoyed set 2 draft a lot less than set 1 draft, I have to assume I am not the only one. When I have logged in the drafts are not firing as fast, no one is signing up for constructed and chat is mostly the same people as it was before.

First of all, if you have 'almost stopped logging in' then you have limited information to work off. I, on the other hand, spend several hours logged in most days, have had more PG games in the last week than I had in the period of beta-set 2, and I have had trouble starting a draft only once in the last several months.

It may help that I play a lot with guild members, so I hear about a lot more activity than just what I personally see, but the game is most definitely more active now than it was pre-set 2.

And yeah, I do happen to be fairly bored of set 1+2. Yet I still have a lot more reason to play (arena alone breaks the monotony of constant drafting) than I did back in October/November.

I do agree that the amount of new players that should have joined will skew the scale of what is active and what isn't, but to say it is anything but a massive difference is foolhardy.

plaguedealer
05-18-2015, 02:07 PM
This may not be popular, but for a weekend they should switch the format to 1-2-2. It would be something different and probably lead to more deck variations.

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 02:08 PM
Wasn't glaringly obvious to me. I've been playing for under 3 months. I've not seen previous chat activity speeds, nor tracked them. The human brain is capable of serious faulty correlation/causation fallacies and confirmation bias, so I want data!

It is easy to come to your conclusion. What I'm saying is that there are more solid and better documented reasons to come to your conclusion than "Because chat is obviously more active." The things you cite in your recent post are possible and reasonable causes of increased player activity, but are not actual evidence that there are more players playing.

To me, you looked silly asserting it without evidence!

I mean zero offence here, and I do mean zero, but if you weren't there when the game was essentially dead in the water (we are talking 2-3 people in the PG during peak times, drafts taking forever to fire, and almost all the drafters being the same over and over) then you have nothing to compare it to. Right now would seem very dead to a person who joined on set 2's launch day - but to anyone who joined a month before set 2, this is like an oasis in comparison.

And trust me, if there was evidence to compare (other than AH data) I wouldn't hesitate to share it, but we have never really been privy to login stats. I am 100% certain that the numbers would support me if the data was made available though. :p

wolzarg
05-18-2015, 02:18 PM
anecdotal or not xenavire is correct the servers were completely dead people dropped in on peak time weekends to do their free drafts and possibly someone played a single game of constructed. You could argue that its less dead because the servers are now open or because pvp torunament is a thing or what ever you will. But the servers are alive today and they were limping with a fist sized hole in the cheast right before set 2.

Mokog
05-18-2015, 02:18 PM
AH activity can be considered a reflection of player activity, incomplete but an indicator. You can run over to Hexprice and see that some healthy activity is happening.

Fyren
05-18-2015, 02:26 PM
If you weren't there when the game was essentially dead in the water (we are talking 2-3 people in the PG during peak times, drafts taking forever to fire, and almost all the drafters being the same over and over) then you have nothing to compare it to. Right now would seem very dead to a person who joined on set 2's launch day - but to anyone who joined a month before set 2, this is like an oasis in comparison.

Yes! I have nothing to compare it to! That's absolutely true and in the same orbit as my point! I was seeking things that would give me more solid basis for comparison than an impression, like the corroborating AH Data Mokog and I cited.

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Yes! I have nothing to compare it to! That's absolutely true and in the same orbit as my point! I was seeking things that would give me more solid basis for comparison than an impression, like the corroborating AH Data Mokog and I cited.

Yeah, I do wish I had something more solid to provide, but the few people who were playing could definitely corroborate what I have said.

As someone who has been playing since the king alpha wave (and have never taken more than a week or so away from the game), there were only 2 truly dead zones - the last few weeks of Alpha (everyone knew beta was coming and there was very little drive to play) and pre-set 2, which is late October and early November. The explosion of activity after both events was equally crazy - at completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

Right now is a minor lull in comparison, but I really don't have any proof (but as I have said, anyone who was there won't need the proof. :p)

Zophie
05-18-2015, 03:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hjIXP5q.jpg

Mokog
05-18-2015, 05:16 PM
I still have archived some of the raw data from the set 1 days. Gold transactions were generally infrequent and did not improve until arena. Gold was plentiful and packs could command 30-45k in gold. Then set 2 and arena hit. Gold left tournaments but was adequately replaced by Arena. A need for commons arose and the gold market grew from it's volatile proto state into a living beast of transactions. The fear was that chests might not pull enough gold out of the economy and the gold inflation would make commons unaffordable for new players. But then the AA commons hit the field. The demand for gold kept the inflation in check and a steady low paced deflation emerged. Commons and uncommons were attainable and rares not fit for constructed began to sell for gold.

Now we have the market shock. We have come face to face with a pressing need to gather 600,000 gold ASAP to complete the AA playset of commons. Gold's value has sky rocketed. The average price for set 1 boosters fell to 15525 gold with the lowest set 1 pack selling for 9001 gold. All this time the platinum value has remained close the 165 average.

We have a steady stream of gold coupled with a larger river of cards and equipment from arena and drafting. This shock should correct soon but it will be slow as we learn from Cirouss' interview with Cory a new gold sink is on the horizon.

This will make for a great Hexonomics when I write it up.

Chark
05-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Hi friends, I can confirm that average CCU numbers for post arena release period (and the current 2-months-after-arena period) are approximately 3 times more than pre-set-2 average CCU numbers (Sep-Dec). We are growing the player base at a good rate!

hex_colin
05-18-2015, 06:20 PM
Hi friends, I can confirm that average CCU numbers for post arena (and currently) are approximately 3 times more than pre-set 2 average CCU numbers. We are growing the player base at a good rate!

How dare you bring "data" and "evidence" into this discussion! :P

We much prefer made up metrics based on whether or not folks wants to see the game succeed or not... ;)

Thrawn
05-18-2015, 06:26 PM

We much prefer made up metrics based on whether or not folks wants to see the game succeed or not... ;)

I don't think anyone here wants to see the game do anything other than blow up and become huge. People were just annoyed at being told that one random persons casual observance is the same as fact regardless if they were likely correct.

Thanks for the post Chark, great numbers to see.

Chark
05-18-2015, 06:27 PM

To be fair, I brought no evidence, but I hope people will trust me as there's basically not reason for me to jump into the thread if what I was saying wasn't true...

magic_gazz
05-18-2015, 06:28 PM
Hi friends, I can confirm that average CCU numbers for post arena release period (and the current 2-months-after-arena period) are approximately 3 times more than pre-set-2 average CCU numbers (Sep-Dec). We are growing the player base at a good rate!

Thank you chark, that's good to hear.

hex_colin
05-18-2015, 06:29 PM
To be fair, I brought no evidence, but I hope people will trust me as there's basically not reason for me to jump into the thread if what I was saying wasn't true...

:) I think people understand that you wouldn't say anything without having the evidence to back it up. It's good to hear (more broadly) that we're growing at a good clip. :)

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 09:02 PM

This is more or less what I expected to hear. Thanks a lot for the info!

I don't think anyone here wants to see the game do anything other than blow up and become huge. People were just annoyed at being told that one random persons casual observance is the same as fact regardless if they were likely correct.

Thanks for the post Chark, great numbers to see.

I never claimed it was fact, and the point is moot now that we have the facts. But good to hear that you essentially agreed even if I rubbed you the wrong way saying it the way I did.

KingGabriel
05-19-2015, 12:44 AM
... unless you were trying to raise the price of Baby Yeti! You fiend! :rolleyes:

Ertzi
05-19-2015, 05:06 AM
Wow... If Arena and Set 2 raised the number of concurrent users (that's what the abbreviation means, right?) threefold, the explosion after Set 3, introduction of the first dungeons and campaign mode, followed by marketing push is going to be insane. I would love to be able to see the numbers at that time. I'm ecstatic to hear that the progress is so strong in this regard. I always hoped and believed that the numbers would only grow in time, but it is wonderful to hear it confirmed.

I can happily pour more money into HEX then ^^

RanaDunes
05-19-2015, 06:18 AM

That's great news!
I really see potential in Hex to score big numbers. I think it can go multi-millions subscribers easily with the release of the fully fledged MMO part.

Saeijou
05-19-2015, 07:45 AM
That's great news!
I really see potential in Hex to score big numbers. I think it can go multi-millions subscribers easily with the release of the fully fledged MMO part.

i dunno.... i liked it better, when we were few people... less complaining :P

Ertzi
05-19-2015, 08:11 AM
I hope for over a million players eventually, but I would be content with a stable and loyal player base of, say, 300 000. Or whatever the minimum number is for CZE to continue the development. I just want HEX to realize its full potential some day. I crave to see this game complete with all the features. I think millions, as in plural, might be a big ask. TCGs are a bit niche in the best of case. But what do I know, this is a revolutionary concept, so it might very well lure 10 million players when all is said and done for all I know.

Xenavire
05-19-2015, 09:28 AM
I hope for over a million players eventually, but I would be content with a stable and loyal player base of, say, 300 000. Or whatever the minimum number is for CZE to continue the development. I just want HEX to realize its full potential some day. I crave to see this game complete with all the features. I think millions, as in plural, might be a big ask. TCGs are a bit niche in the best of case. But what do I know, this is a revolutionary concept, so it might very well lure 10 million players when all is said and done for all I know.

I honestly think that we have enough players right now to fund development if everyone was injecting a certain amount of money weekly. But the more we get, the better! :p

Especially since we have grown a lot, and there are very few signs of server strain, which is freaking fantastic (remember the days with constant prio bugs etc? I love progress. :D) With the amount of players we have you would think the servers would show the strain, but nope.

Mokog
05-19-2015, 10:04 AM
Dungeons, Raids and tablet support = explosion. And if I can play hex on my phone.... my productivity will be gone forever.