PDA

View Full Version : Player Base / Ranked Play

Pulch
05-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the game, and so far I really like it. I love MTG however the terrible online client and pay to play system is not for me. Therefore Hex is a really good option. But before I commit to the game I wanted to know a couple of things if you could answer.

1. How many players/popularity:

Maybe sounds silly but I don't enjoy games where very few people play it. Sure Hex doesn't even have a fraction of Hearthstone players, but can anybody roughly guess how many active players are there? 100 online at a time or 1,000 or 10,000? And it is still in Beta so maybe it'll pick up later, maybe not. I just logged in to practice mode and there were only 4 people available for games. AH seems to be more active though.

2. Ranked/constructed?

As far as I know there is no ranked system. I like keeping track of my progression and even if I have a really nice deck it is not very tempting to me to play random contructed games. Especially if there is only 4 people available. Sure tournaments are fun but I'd also like to take my constructed deck for a ride :) So what's the major mode of play?

So far great game with MTG's depth and artistic style, and the community seems to be great too. And I need a card game to play :) MTG online is just a shame, and I don't even want to start with the "game" called Hearthstone. So I hope Hex is good for me.

Thanks for the answers,

Gwaer
05-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Most people are playing the arena at any given time, so it's difficult for us to gauge how many active players there are. Before the arena launched there were a lot more people in the proving grounds.
We're also due for a new set, which means a lot of people are probably a bit less active than normal. You will probably get a better idea of the kinds of playerbase you're looking at once set three launches.

Ranked play is coming, there's going to be a big 100,000 tournament sponsored by gameforge sometime this year. So if no other type of ranking we'll at least have a goal.

strylght
05-18-2015, 12:06 PM
As Gwaer suggested, the fact that only four people were in the Proving Grounds isn't really indicative of how many people are online and willing to play a casual constructed game with you, just that they're not sitting around in the PG waiting for you to challenge them. :)
Try making your presence know in General, asking for games, making friends who are interested in casual games. This is how I go about ensuring that I can find an opponent for a pick-up constructed or deck-testing session whenever I desire one and I rarely find myself unable to find someone.

On the subject of a ranked mode or ladder, I'm with you, I can't wait for that to come. Currently I feel that participating in Constructed tournaments is far too risky for players who haven't already invested in a top tier deck. It seems to me to be basically an opportunity to throw away 300 plat and get stomped by mono-Sapphire. :)
On the other hand, due to the fantastic nature of the Hex community, we have player run tournaments like the Rock League and the new CBB Pauper tournament which are open to all and have rules which go great lengths towards levelling the playing fields when it comes to the price of competitive decks.

Tinfoil
05-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Hex currently have a decent player-base that probably will grow over time.

A lot of things are coming...As a new player, with the features that currently implemented you should participate in the community organised tournaments mentioned above, play arena to get gold and play drafts (which are pretty competetive) to increase your card pool and learn the game. Also watch streams to learn advanced plays, great fun and lots of giveaways.

It takes time to get into the game, but on the plus side you will continue to be challenged.

vickrpg
05-18-2015, 01:06 PM
I wonder if it would be acceptable to petition the Great Dragon of Data to tell us how many unique accounts have logged in during the last month? Or how many unique accounts there are?

nicosharp
05-18-2015, 01:08 PM
I wonder if it would be acceptable to petition the Great Dragon of Data to tell us how many unique accounts have logged in during the last month? Or how many unique accounts there are?
I think its a bit premature to share what would ultimately be a bit lackluster. Wait for these projections until first PvE launch (dungeons).

strylght
05-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Number of unique accounts logged in recently would be some great stats to see. Total unique accounts, though, I feel would be deceptive and fairly useless for inferring anything.

EDIT: Also, what nico said.

Svenn
05-18-2015, 01:23 PM
I will point out that there is no point where I've ever had to wait more than a couple minutes to fire off a draft. There are enough people to keep those firing off constantly.

Khazrakh
05-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Hexprice.com (http://www.hexprice.com/generalstats) is a good indication of the ingame activity.
Auction House trade is constant to slightly increasing over the last months.
Looking at yesterdays numbers, we had 299474 plat traded over the AH in 1885 trades, that's 3000$ worth of plat spend on the auction house.

Pulch
05-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Thanks a lot for the answers all, much appreciated. I hope the devs continue to support and advertise the game, since it really has a ton of potential. For me it is a MTG with a good online client and some f2p elements, which are seriously lacking from MTG.