PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Party Forums Scamming

Phenteo
05-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Hi HEXers!

It's recently come to my attention that someone is parading around as me and/or saying they are best friends with me and trying to sell Kickstarter codes. Please do not trust this person or this site.

If anyone contacts you outside of any official capacity (our forums, our emails) please quickly PM me on the forums and take as much information as possible. Thank you!

Assassine
05-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Anyone trying 3rd-party purchases should be aware of this anyway. Dozens of scammers get banned on 3rd party forums every day.

Thoom
05-18-2015, 01:01 PM
Anyone trying 3rd-party purchases should be aware of this anyway. Dozens of scammers get banned on 3rd party forums every day.

Yup. Don't buy anything, and especially not digital goods, from a random person unless you have a very good reason to trust them.

Zophie
05-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Might want to sticky this post, good reminder for everyone

hex_colin
05-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Yeah, it's just not worth it to try to buy HEX KS codes at this point unless you know the seller or have an unimpeachable reference. Way, way too many scams around. Even I've been a victim and lost a considerable sum. :(

magic_gazz
05-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Phenteo is my cousin, I have tons of codes, send me $$$.

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 01:21 PM
Yeah, it's just not worth it to try to buy HEX KS codes at this point unless you know the seller or have an unimpeachable reference. Way, way too many scams around. Even I've been a victim and lost a considerable sum. :(

This makes me wonder - first, what on earth could you have been buying? And second, what kind of scummy person would rip off our only Exalted player? Thats pretty appalling.

nicosharp
05-18-2015, 01:25 PM
This makes me wonder - first, what on earth could you have been buying? And second, what kind of scummy person would rip off our only Exalted player? Thats pretty appalling.

Scammers have no shame and know not fame.

KingGabriel
05-18-2015, 01:34 PM
Hi HEXers!

It's recently come to my attention that someone is parading around as me and/or saying they are best friends with me and trying to sell Kickstarter codes. Please do not trust this person or this site.

If anyone contacts you outside of any official capacity (our forums, our emails) please quickly PM me on the forums and take as much information as possible. Thank you!

Those pesky dwarves and their robot replicas! D:

hammer
05-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Its probably about time to announce an expiration on the KS codes its been a year since they were released most are probably claimed now could perhaps email everyone who hasn't claimed with a warning and get rid of the second hand code market for good.

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Its probably about time to announce an expiration on the KS codes its been a year since they were released most are probably claimed now could perhaps email everyone who hasn't claimed with a warning and get rid of the second hand code market for good.

I think that code redemption will be forced to be active until raids are out, at least, purely because you would be punishing people simply for waiting for the feature they pledged for. (Not that I don't agree, if scams are a problem, we do need a fix. Although I do wish I could afford a black market code...)

KingGabriel
05-18-2015, 01:39 PM

It should probably wait till a tiny bit after release considering some people were waiting solely for release imo.

N3rd4Christ
05-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks Pent!

Kramer
05-18-2015, 01:54 PM
For the site in question, this person tried to impersonate Havoc as well and he was banned again only to resurface using a VPN as Phenteo. Only buy from people you trust or who have impeccable references. This site in question does have some reputable people but as always, buyer beware.

nicosharp
05-18-2015, 02:00 PM
I think that code redemption will be forced to be active until raids are out, at least, purely because you would be punishing people simply for waiting for the feature they pledged for. (Not that I don't agree, if scams are a problem, we do need a fix. Although I do wish I could afford a black market code...)
The codes don't really affect or limit a player right now by content expiring, outside of free weekly drafts stuff for the $250 tiers. I don't see the value in continuing to hold out for stragglers. Especially when this kind of thing is happening.

However, I think they should allow codes to be legit until 2-step authentication is released.... Which, for the love of God, should be released soon.

Gwaer
05-18-2015, 02:10 PM
As someone with a huge stockpile of codes and still no idea how I want to redeem them I hope they never invalidate codes. =(

Zophie
05-18-2015, 02:12 PM
As someone with a huge stockpile of codes and still no idea how I want to redeem them I hope they never invalidate codes. =(

I can help you type some of those codes in if you want, although some might "accidentally" get redeemed on my own account... ;)

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 02:12 PM

I could always lighten the load! Not everyone is so lucky that their problems are considered 'good'. :p

nicosharp
05-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Well, at least you are an active minority (one would hope), with that unique situation. I'm sure the initial intent of the Kickstarter, was never to have people scooping up so many multiples for themselves. The lack of account association is perfectly okay now, but if scamming is an issue, its really the easiest way to nip this in the bud. Even though it comes down to shady dealings third party, it doesn't look good.

Fyren
05-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Ugh. I keep debating with myself whether or not I should hunt down a KS code. The more people discuss the Kickstarter the more I wish I'd known about the game prior to May 2014. >.>;

Gwaer
05-18-2015, 02:24 PM
The only code I'm interested in getting my hands on is a producer code... And I just don't have enough faith in humanity for that to ever happen =P

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 02:33 PM
The only code I'm interested in getting my hands on is a producer code... And I just don't have enough faith in humanity for that to ever happen =P

Considering the investment it took... I would be surprised if any of those have gone unredeemed.

RobHaven
05-18-2015, 02:40 PM
Ugh. I keep debating with myself whether or not I should hunt down a KS code. The more people discuss the Kickstarter the more I wish I'd known about the game prior to May 2014. >.>;

If you knew how much unused codes were going for, I don't think you'd be as interested.

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 02:45 PM
If you knew how much unused codes were going for, I don't think you'd be as interested.

As long as I could pay in parts, I would pay any (moderately) reasonable amount if I could get Collector x2, or GK+Collector. Anyone who knows my reputation knows I wouldn't rip anyone off, but yeah, paying in parts is the kind of big ask that just doesn't ever work.

hammer
05-18-2015, 02:48 PM
As long as I could pay in parts, I would pay any (moderately) reasonable amount if I could get Collector x2, or GK+Collector. Anyone who knows my reputation knows I wouldn't rip anyone off, but yeah, paying in parts is the kind of big ask that just doesn't ever work.

You would be in serious trouble at $1 per forum post :D

Xenavire
05-18-2015, 02:49 PM
You would be in serious trouble at $1 per forum post :D

I'd have to get someone to mass delete all my posts ;)

TOOT
05-18-2015, 03:11 PM
As someone who has paid through the nose for many unredeemed codes (in addition to the few I bought during the KS), I don't regret it one bit.

As for the thread topic, anyone who saw the 3rd party post in question should have been able to quickly realize the mutt was a scammer.

N3rd4Christ
05-18-2015, 03:46 PM
A bit of common sense is all that's needed to weed them out.

KingGabriel
05-18-2015, 03:49 PM
A bit of common sense is all that's needed to weed them out.
We have a common sense shortage. I'll sell you some for 500p a drop if you want.

Assassine
05-18-2015, 03:59 PM
Everyone knows the King has no sense for the common(er)s. Scammer!

KingGabriel
05-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Oh, so we're supposed to trust the Assassin instead? :rolleyes:

N3rd4Christ
05-18-2015, 04:08 PM

Down with the King! Long live the Donkey-Donkey-Ine!

Assassine
05-18-2015, 04:32 PM

Well, everyone except you should :p

Diesbudt
05-18-2015, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't mind a DC or RL. But i would require 1 proof of identity for each shard in hex for me to purchase some digital goods from someone I don't know. so if they were a scam I could find them, or hire Liam nieson to track them down. Either or.

Steelio
05-18-2015, 06:05 PM
I must say I was concerned about something like this myself. I was on the HEX forums recently, and witnessed a fellow there named Phenteo masquerading as a GM, impersonating a fairly well-known kickstarter code salesman from epicnpc.com.

KingGabriel
05-19-2015, 12:42 AM
I must say I was concerned about something like this myself. I was on the HEX forums recently, and witnessed a fellow there named Phenteo masquerading as a GM, impersonating a fairly well-known kickstarter code salesman from epicnpc.com.
We already have a Kappa emote :stormcloud:

Yoss
05-19-2015, 10:35 AM
Buyer beware, but legit trades are definitely possible. Always use a middle man and work with someone you think you can trust.

whiteyzz
05-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Part of the problem is how much $ you would save for the weekly draft code. Every Booster if you rare draft will be this

3 Booster Packs

3 Rares = 31 = 91 Plat
9 Uncommons x 11 = 99 Plat
33 Commons x 4 = 132 Plat

322 Platinum per draft x 4 = 1288 Plat = 12.88$ x 12 = 154$ a Year Minimum if you lose every match and get the cheapest rares.

And with them saying "we will not remake any of the kick starter effects."; People are going to want this code more and more, so anyone who saw how much this game net in kickstarter took advantage of it.