PDA

View Full Version : The Popularity of Exclusivity - Negatives/Positives?

nicosharp
05-19-2015, 12:32 PM
HEX and Cory have made decisions to create bits and pieces of content that are exclusive / rare / not obtainable by everyone / time stamped / set rotation based / event stamped / PvE Quest Choice Exclusives / and even non-tradeable in some cases(sleeves in particular).

This makes obvious sense in most cases since its a Player Ran Economy based "Trading" Card Game.

The community over the last two years have fought some of these decisions, and most notably we were able to see Mercenaries changed from a non-tradeable Champion, to a tradeable one-time-use stash item that you keep once consumed.

Negatives:

Exclusivity furthers the gap between the playerbase, between F2P and Whales, and may create Envy
The physical requirements of goods required at in-person events will always exclude a portion of the playerbase
New players may feel like they are behind the eight-ball, and with each wave of content, depending on the games longevity will increase levels of Entitlement posts and Envy
As a collector, it would be very rare for a player to be able to acquire everything.
Some item hunting requires players to go third party, which inadvertently promotes potential shady dealings.

Positives:

This never effects competitive PvP play ever.
The items are available third party if there is enough time/money to seek them out.
This creates increased value and uniqueness of a players collection.
This creates more interest in chasing content from a uniqueness/value/and collector standpoint

Thoughts?

Saeijou
05-19-2015, 12:34 PM
I don't like it... I'm a collector... and I lose fun, when I can't get anything...
it's stupid, I know... but it's like that sadly... :/

nicosharp
05-19-2015, 12:37 PM
I'm personally neutral on this as a collector. The various levels of value this creates is huge, if you are willing to take items at face value, and part with exclusivity for the right price.

Xenavire
05-19-2015, 12:39 PM
HEX and Cory have made decisions to create bits and pieces of content that are exclusive / rare / not obtainable by everyone / time stamped / set rotation based / event stamped / PvE Quest Choice Exclusives / and even non-tradeable in some cases(sleeves in particular).

This makes obvious sense in most cases since its a Player Ran Economy based "Trading" Card Game.

The community over the last two years have fought some of these decisions, and most notably we were able to see Mercenaries changed from a non-tradeable Champion, to a tradeable one-time-use stash item that you keep once consumed.

Negatives:

Exclusivity furthers the gap between the playerbase, between F2P and Whales, and may create Envy
The physical requirements of goods required at in-person events will always exclude a portion of the playerbase
New players may feel like they are behind the eight-ball, and with each wave of content, depending on the games longevity will increase levels of Entitlement posts and Envy
As a collector, it would be very rare for a player to be able to acquire everything.
Some item hunting requires players to go third party, which inadvertently promotes potential shady dealings.

Positives:

This never effects competitive PvP play ever.
The items are available third party if there is enough time/money to seek them out.
This creates increased value and uniqueness of a players collection.
This creates more interest in chasing content from a uniqueness/value/and collector standpoint

Thoughts?

The bolded - it absolutely will be 100% impossible to have everything. It is already next to impossible to have everything (and I should know, I have one of the most complete collections around, especially for a king player.)

nicosharp
05-19-2015, 12:41 PM
The bolded - it absolutely will be 100% impossible to have everything. It is already next to impossible to have everything (and I should know, I have one of the most complete collections around, especially for a king player.)
I think the real question for players that are hardcore collectors, to a point have OCD about it, is will the inability to be a completionist in some senses drive you to the point of insanity that would make you no longer interested in collecting to the utmost of your ability?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the psyche of an individual that strives for something, but feels defeated when they can not obtain the ultimate goal.

Assassine
05-19-2015, 12:42 PM
Personally, i dont like it, because im am a completionist at heart, but i can live with it, and it has its upsides too.

And yes, im not hunting sleeves. I get them where i can, but ill not spend any money to get those i cant get otherwise. Ill go for the stuff that i can get, and hopefully having all mercs/AAs will keep beeing possible.

Gwaer
05-19-2015, 12:48 PM
I love it, it's a huge value creator for you community. I'm a huge collector, and pay a lot of money for things that I couldn't get myself.

hammer
05-19-2015, 12:52 PM
having just paid a large chunk for poster variant sleeves I am on the fence sometimes I love the chase of the rare stuff but ....

sukebe
05-19-2015, 12:53 PM
there are parts I like about it and parts I don't but overall I like some things being extremely hard/impossible to get.

I don't like: I am one of those people who want to have everything. I don't feel defeated if I don't have everything but I am so much happier when I do :-)

I do like: things being hard/ near impossible to collect makes collecting them so much more satisfying. I don't feel any joy from collecting things that are easily obtained

Salverus
for items like sleeves and AA kickstarters i do not care if they can only be acquired once and then never again.
The players that currently own them took the extra mile to get them and they deserve it.

But with things like the AA commons in the store now rotating out, i still think it would be better if they came back eventually. Even if it was only for like one weekend a year.

Thoom
Convention exclusive items bug me, as someone who doesn't really like going to conventions and doesn't live near any of the ones the Hex folk go to. I feel like I'm being disadvantaged as a collector for living in the wrong place and not being willing to spend thousands of dollars to make up for it.

But as long as all of the gameplay-effecting ones like Mercs will be reasonably obtainable in-game, I can live with it.

Kami
05-19-2015, 12:54 PM
I'm trying to wrap my head around the psyche of an individual that strives for something, but feels defeated when they can not obtain the ultimate goal.

It feels like a nagging sensation that you can't get rid of. You spend more time trying to convince yourself it doesn't matter until you're reminded of missing out on something. It's difficult to explain in words.

It's the same reason I don't play games like Elder Scrolls that much.

Ertzi
05-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Convention exclusive items bug me, as someone who doesn't really like going to conventions and doesn't live near any of the ones the Hex folk go to. I feel like I'm being disadvantaged as a collector for living in the wrong place and not being willing to spend thousands of dollars to make up for it.

This. I even refused to play Pokémon when I found out there were things called event Pokémon. Only things I am currently missing in HEX were all GenCon rewards. Super annoying. I can accept not having all sleeves, but I will never understand why games make acquiring something impossible, even if you would spend a lot of money to get it.

Ertzi
05-19-2015, 01:09 PM
It feels like a nagging sensation that you can't get rid of. You spend more time trying to convince yourself it doesn't matter until you're reminded of missing out on something.

This is such an accurate description it made me laugh.

nicosharp
05-19-2015, 01:12 PM
This. I even refused to play Pokémon when I found out there were things called event Pokémon. Only things I am currently missing in HEX were all GenCon rewards. Super annoying. I can accept not having all sleeves, but I will never understand why games make acquiring something impossible, even if you would spend a lot of money to get it.
They bug me from a collector standpoint - but when I put it into perspective....
The attendees most likely paid for a hotel, and spend $1000+ on their trip in some cases.
They also waited in lines.
They also spent time at this particular booth, and showed interest.

I've been to BlizzCon Twice as my only personal experience at events, and I can say, a Sleeve or some other gimmick freebie, is a small gesture of appreciation that does not validate your time and money spent navigating one of these events trying to have a good time, but it helps.

This is such an accurate description it made me laugh.
Also, well done Kami :)

Saeijou
05-19-2015, 01:16 PM

this!

Thrawn
05-19-2015, 01:17 PM
If it's something I have that no one else has I'm in favor of exclusivity.

If someone else has it and I can't get it, exclusivity is bad and hurts the game.

nicosharp
05-19-2015, 01:25 PM
If it's something I have that no one else has I'm in favor of exclusivity.

If someone else has it and I can't get it, exclusivity is bad and hurts the game.
I think most of us are pretty well attuned to your perspective.
This is purely Envy + Entitlement, but also exclusivity is not something very transparent or present in today's digital games. In a ways, it's treading new ground.

BlackRoger
05-19-2015, 01:33 PM
While I get where people are coming from, I feel like this "need to have everything" is still a decision people are making.
If a decision you make makes you sad, then don't make it, no one but you is making you want everything.

I decided a long time ago I'm not gonna chase the AA's/sleeves, so I don't have to worry about all this chasing after meaningless eye candy.

Tazelbain
05-19-2015, 01:34 PM
If these sleeves where actually unique to people actually went to the said event then it'd cool. But since it more of spend crazy money on the grey market thing or get a extremely lucky on stream raffles thing, it annoys me.

MatWith1T
05-19-2015, 01:43 PM
My only complaint with the philosophy is that while at face value they are 'fun, extra freebies' for people who are participating in Hex in other ways, in reality many of the exclusives require some significant money output. Kickstarter Sleeves/AAs are straight up rewards for spending money, but that's the nature of Kickstarter. The Convention sleeves/AAs require attending conventions, which factoring in entry fees, hotels, flights and time off work. The event-linked AAs are a little easier to obtain, but still out of reach for many f2p players.

And that's OK - but don't pretend its a fun little bonus for Hex fans. Exclusives are VERY valuable rewards for spending money; and handing out a few free giveaways saying 'its no big deal if you don't win one, no one can have everything' is disingenuous.

The 'no one will be able to collect everything' concept is fine if applied right. But if only 5% of players are going to get Exclusive Item A, then Exclusive Item B should be targeted at a different 5% of players. People who attend conventions every year are repeatedly rewarded with annual exclusives worth $20+ each - if you're someone who can't go to conventions, there's no equal caliber exclusives as an alternative. As a Kickstarter backer, I have my fair share of exclusives, but in turn, there should theoretically be exclusives that a f2p user can get that I cannot.

That may/should change as the game adds in more functionality and Hex's presence expands and there's simply more ways than a handful of conventions to interface with Hex - missing out on GenCon sleeves is fine if I managed to snag some Twitch exclusive, or Fanart Contest exclusive, and a dozen other different ways I can be part of the community. But I will readily admit the last couple years have made me a little bit salty that GenCon has been 'Hey, come play the new set early, hang out with all the players and devs AND we'll give you a ton of valuable stuff because the exclusive access to game content and staff wasn't enough value for you.'

And as the playerbase grows, the untradeable things will become even more rare, and even more valuable, and we're already experiencing a burgeoning scam market for Hex codes...

Ertzi
05-19-2015, 01:46 PM
If these sleeves where actually unique to people actually went to the said event then it'd cool. But since it more of spend crazy money on the grey market thing or get a extremely lucky on stream raffles thing, it annoys me.

I agree with this. If the convention codes would be redeemed on location, and everyone only got ONE, I would not be as annoyed about them. Now people sell the extras for profit (although some generous people do not want anything for themselves), or use them to lure others to watch their streams, which profits them because they get views. Something about it just irks me.

Disclaimer: I love many HEX streamers and I wish I had more time to follow them, but this is still how I feel. I would prefer streams never having any giveaways just for following or watching. Either you like the content or not. Why the bribing?

Kami
05-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Disclaimer: I love many HEX streamers and I wish I had more time to follow them, but this is still how I feel. I would prefer streams never having any giveaways just for following or watching. Either you like the content or not. Why the bribing?

As a lazy (i.e. infrequent) streamer, sometimes we just want to give stuff to the community. It's not really bribing, it's just whomever is there. Lately I've been stream bombing though... just drop into somebody's channel and giveaway stuff. *lol*

Svenn
05-19-2015, 01:56 PM
I think the real question for players that are hardcore collectors, to a point have OCD about it, is will the inability to be a completionist in some senses drive you to the point of insanity that would make you no longer interested in collecting to the utmost of your ability?

As a collector and a completionist... the amount of exclusives in this game are driving me insane. I've spent insane amounts of money trying to get everything. I'm sad knowing that there are several sleeves I can never get. The amount of AAs and sleeves coming out is somewhat frustrating. I like some exclusives and AAs or whatever, but we've gotten to the point where it's kind of ridiculous already.

That being said, the game is still fun and I'm sticking around for that. I've done a good job at collecting everything I can so far (I've even got the fairly rare Jadiim sleeves, though I am missing the Poster sleeves still but I will have a chance at those again so I'm not overly concerned). I do get frustrated sometimes trying to keep up with the exclusives (having to set aside 8 hours a weekend at very specific times once a month for VIP is rough, I'm lucky my girlfriend has been understanding of my obsession with needing all of the things).

I think I'm okay with not getting all of the sleeves since I can only use one at a time and they are cosmetic only, but the moment I end up missing out on some special AA or something it's going to drive me insane and may even have a negative effect on my play time.

Yoss
05-19-2015, 01:57 PM
I agree with this. If the convention codes would be redeemed on location, and everyone only got ONE, I would not be as annoyed about them. Now people sell the extras for profit (although some generous people do not want anything for themselves), or use them to lure others to watch their streams, which profits them because they get views. Something about it just irks me.
This makes a lot of sense to me. It would be nice if the sleeves actually did what Cory said two years ago: "you had to be there". That was the reason given for making them bind to account, yet it doesn't work that way in practice since people just trade on the secondary market.

dbug
05-19-2015, 01:59 PM

I don't get, why it is a problem, if on some occasions other people get more than others.

And i personally dont see a problem in making a profit. And if everyone only gets one promo code on conventions, most people would be more annoyed, because now they have zero chance of getting that stuff

Svenn
05-19-2015, 02:01 PM
The 'no one will be able to collect everything' concept is fine if applied right. But if only 5% of players are going to get Exclusive Item A, then Exclusive Item B should be targeted at a different 5% of players. People who attend conventions every year are repeatedly rewarded with annual exclusives worth $20+ each - if you're someone who can't go to conventions, there's no equal caliber exclusives as an alternative. As a Kickstarter backer, I have my fair share of exclusives, but in turn, there should theoretically be exclusives that a f2p user can get that I cannot.

I think everyone keeps forgetting that the Con exclusives (minus the sleeves) will be available in-game during special events. They are supposed to be available during the same time frame as the events, but there is a backlog of events that need to happen still. You don't have to attend the con to get anything but the sleeves, the rest can be earned in-game during the time of the con.

MatWith1T
05-19-2015, 02:04 PM
I think everyone keeps forgetting that the Con exclusives (minus the sleeves) will be available in-game during special events. They are supposed to be available during the same time frame as the events, but there is a backlog of events that need to happen still. You don't have to attend the con to get anything but the sleeves, the rest can be earned in-game during the time of the con.

Yeah, but right now, sleeves are the biggest exclusives, with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 AA rares. Having access to everything but the thing everyone wants is my point about the 'equal caliber alternatives'

Svenn
05-19-2015, 02:04 PM
While I get where people are coming from, I feel like this "need to have everything" is still a decision people are making.
If a decision you make makes you sad, then don't make it, no one but you is making you want everything.

I decided a long time ago I'm not gonna chase the AA's/sleeves, so I don't have to worry about all this chasing after meaningless eye candy.

This is a really good description:

It feels like a nagging sensation that you can't get rid of. You spend more time trying to convince yourself it doesn't matter until you're reminded of missing out on something. It's difficult to explain in words.

It's not that I'm actively deciding "I NEED EVERYTHING!" but more that by not having everything I feel like I'm missing something. I have spent a lot of time trying to rationalize to myself why it's okay that I missed out on some exclusive thing, and it's not easy. I'm not sure what it is that some people feel this way, but it's not like we're actively sitting down and making the decision to be bothered by missing out on things.

Svenn
05-19-2015, 02:06 PM
Yeah, but right now, sleeves are the biggest exclusives, with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 AA rares. Having access to everything but the thing everyone wants is my point about the 'equal caliber alternatives'

Well, sleeves are entirely cosmetic. They have no function. As much as it bothers me to miss out on ANYTHING, I think giving away something purely for appearance is fine. Would you be as bothered if it was a physical piece of artwork?

Ertzi
05-19-2015, 02:12 PM
I did not know/remember that the poster sleeves will come available again. Is this truly so? I would jump at the chance to get those. Of all the sleeves I don't have, these bother me the most, because they are so cool. I still want to buy that poster as well.

And yeah, those GenCon mercenaries better be acquirable at some point as promised, because they are a play item and I have to have all of those. Missing Gax, Portensio and Broski. Are they even available in the secondary market at the moment? Not seen them in game, but I don't check very often.

Kami
05-19-2015, 02:15 PM
I did not know/remember that the poster sleeves will come available again. Is this truly so? I would jump at the chance to get those. Of all the sleeves I don't have, these bother me the most, because they are so cool. I still want to buy that poster as well.

They never actually stated that the poster sleeves would become available again. All they've stated is they want to sell HEX posters internationally. As far as I recall anyway.

Ertzi
05-19-2015, 02:18 PM
I have spent a lot of time trying to rationalize to myself why it's okay that I missed out on some exclusive thing, and it's not easy. I'm not sure what it is that some people feel this way, but it's not like we're actively sitting down and making the decision to be bothered by missing out on things.

So much this. I would PREFER to be able to just ignore stuff I don't have, but for some infuriating reason they are all I think about. I don't even feel at peace until I have at least one of everything that has been released in the latest patch. I am physically unable to wait for them too, by collecting them myself, like with the Arena equipment, so I spend huge sums of money just when you really should not buy anything. It is silly really, but this is just something that is a reality.

MatWith1T
05-19-2015, 02:20 PM
Well, sleeves are entirely cosmetic. They have no function. As much as it bothers me to miss out on ANYTHING, I think giving away something purely for appearance is fine. Would you be as bothered if it was a physical piece of artwork?

I'm only bothered by the artificial scarcity created for the exclusives, and then using that 'it's purely cosmetic, no big deal' line of thinking. If it's purely cosmetic, then there should be no value attached - make convention attendees register an email and untradeable sleeves will be inserted into an account linked to that email address. Hex is intentionally creating a market for codes, and then at the same time saying you shouldn't want the codes as much as you do.

And like I said, much of that is (hopefully) attributed to the current state of development - there simply aren't enough other things in the mix at the moment to allow 'Well I can't have A, I should try to get B or C or D'

Assassine
05-19-2015, 02:22 PM

The difference here is, unlike with a physical card game, i cant just go ahead and print my own sleeves.

Gwaer
05-19-2015, 02:23 PM
The fact that they have value is a good thing... Why would you want to make exclusives valueless? Especially the silly cosmetic ones.

Turtlewing
05-19-2015, 02:26 PM
My personal opinion is that some things being impossible for everyone to own makes collecting more interesting.

In particular, if every serious collector has a complete set of everything than their collections are all the same (boring). Instead if no one can realistically have everything each collector has a unique collection, which IMO makes it more interesting to discuss collections and opens up the possibility for collectors who have specialized collections (they focus on collecting certain subsets of things).

Basicly the difficulty of having everything forces collectors to make choices about priorities and those choices will shape their collection which makes what you collect something notable about you.

But I do prefer those limits to be a soft cap (putting together a complete collection should always be technically possible for a new player even if it is difficult and expensive to the point of being a practical impossibility).

I don't see any good reason to make items account bound except maybe sleeves as they are standing in for an achievement system. But releasing items in extremely limited quantities and/or only for completing esoteric activities seems perfectly fair to me.

NaryaDL0re
05-19-2015, 02:31 PM
I love it as well for a lot of reasons some mentioned already and some not.

The one I want to point out the most though is : I dislike the concept of catering to envy.

If a human being feels more pain/envy in the face of others gains/wealth/collections
rather than emphatically enjoying and not begrudging...
they simply are not the type of people I would want to be around or play with.

And one more theoretic one: Value only gets created via quality and quantity.
If everyone in this game had access to every card they would lose the majority of their value.
(And crypto its business). The only thing left would be gameplay and no real attachment
or wealth to strive for or invest in.
There are a lot of games like chess that work this way. Trading(!)/Collectible(!) card games
do not lent themselves to accommodate such a "gameplay" only environment.

obviously there arent just black and white, but these points illustrate that the
complete lack of exclusiveness would hurt almost anyone more than benefit, even the poorest.
(and yes, the smallest pricetag is exclusiveness for some, and ofc you can have anything in Hex
you want ... everything has its price)

for me I like the 85% excess-able ... 5% expensive ... 5% luxury ... 5% nigh impossible to get (events/timings/etc)
or sth around that. And I think currently Hex is very well in that territory.

MatWith1T
05-19-2015, 02:36 PM
The fact that they have value is a good thing... Why would you want to make exclusives valueless? Especially the silly cosmetic ones.

Right now, sleeves are the only 100% cosmetic thing, and they aren't tradeable. If it's not tradeable, it's only of value to one person - You're just handed a code worth $20+

Gwaer
05-19-2015, 02:44 PM
If the person who gets the code doesn't value it, then someone like me will generally pay for it. That's good for me, I get a thing I want, and good for the person, who gets something for his time and effort in getting me the thing I want.

MatWith1T
05-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Well, like I said... if only 5% of the Hex population is going to get an exclusive card, I think it's healthier for the game if it's not the same 5% every time. If codes are going to continue to be expensive, desirable things continually going out to the same people at the same events and then bought by the people willing to spend the most money, let's just be upfront about it - exclusives are prizes for whales.

rjselzler
05-19-2015, 03:00 PM
I don't mind exclusivity. I prefer exclusivity that isn't locked by time and place, such as con rewards. I hope that the aforementioned code situation is a temporary one. I'd rather see them tie to your account and be truly non-tradable. I get that there are rewards you "had to be there" to win, but right now we do have a system where you either had to be there or have $20, which is okay but not ideal for my tastes. To each his own, I suppose.

I think that exclusivity like Urunaaz sleeves (or Rivendare's mount in WoW) satisfy me the most, though I don't mind subtle grinds; I played EQ.

Gwaer
05-19-2015, 03:04 PM
I agree that con sleeves shouldn't be the only exclusives, there should be urunaaz sleeves, and more things like it. As well as things like the exclusive cards and equipment from urunaaz. But I disagree that con exclusives should be removed, or changed. Both of these types of exclusivity can exist harmoniously.

whiteyzz
05-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Hah I don't have the problem of wanting to collect everything NOOPE.

I mean look at this list of all the cards I don't have!

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=19363

But yeah the exclusive items given for specific things can be a little weird, especially for PVER's as some people will just have a easier time farming and making money then you. AA cards aren't a big deal. I think some of the original gen con sleeves are going for 100$+ now.

sukebe
05-19-2015, 03:07 PM

I can't go to conventions either but I can still get the convention promos, just like you. It costs me money, which I do not have a lot of but I can and do still get them. Not to mention anything besides sleeves will be made available for a short time during conventions through in game means once that system is added.

KingGabriel
05-19-2015, 03:09 PM
My thought is that these economy threads you're creating seem... biased. To say the least. :confused:

rjselzler
05-19-2015, 03:30 PM
I agree that con sleeves shouldn't be the only exclusives, there should be urunaaz sleeves, and more things like it. As well as things like the exclusive cards and equipment from urunaaz. But I disagree that con exclusives should be removed, or changed. Both of these types of exclusivity can exist harmoniously.

Truly. I think that Hex Ent has done a pretty decent job so far and I have faith that they can keep that delicate balance. I mean, I'm sure that we'll have unique exclusives like a Hex Worlds 2015 Champion sleeve or something eventually, and that kind of exclusive seems really cool to me. Like Urunaaz, that represents a (much larger) achievement.

wolzarg
05-19-2015, 03:32 PM
I get bad tinglies when i can't have them and good tinglies when i get some of them. All in all i think the bad justifies the good.

firedancer27
05-19-2015, 04:05 PM
My personal opinion is that some things being impossible for everyone to own makes collecting more interesting.

In particular, if every serious collector has a complete set of everything than their collections are all the same (boring). Instead if no one can realistically have everything each collector has a unique collection, which IMO makes it more interesting to discuss collections and opens up the possibility for collectors who have specialized collections (they focus on collecting certain subsets of things).

Basicly the difficulty of having everything forces collectors to make choices about priorities and those choices will shape their collection which makes what you collect something notable about you.

But I do prefer those limits to be a soft cap (putting together a complete collection should always be technically possible for a new player even if it is difficult and expensive to the point of being a practical impossibility).

I don't see any good reason to make items account bound except maybe sleeves as they are standing in for an achievement system. But releasing items in extremely limited quantities and/or only for completing esoteric activities seems perfectly fair to me.

This is a great point and one I agree with. I think what has happened though to change this way of thinking from being the norm is the digital nature collections are transforming into. Part of the fun in the past was going to visit a person's collection. You were actually seeing the item that could rarely be seen elsewhere.

In the digital world, this aspect of collecting doesn't exist anymore or doesn't translate as well. Now it is much more a case of owning the item or not owning. I think it might be cool to have an option to view others collections (like inspecting equipment in other mmo's) but in the end I'm looking at a digital image just like anyone else that owns it. What would change this is the double back feature but that only applies to cards.

Kami
05-19-2015, 04:10 PM

This is a frequent assumption. I don't think the majority of collector's collect to show-off. They don't collect for the sole purpose of bragging rights. If anything, collecting is a personal thing.

It doesn't matter to me one lick if someone has an identical collection to me or if they have more/less than I do. It matters that I have the collection I want - and in my case, that means 100% (or as damn near as I can get it).

It bothers me that there's a lot of 'jealousy' this, 'envy' that being thrown around.

Xenavire
05-19-2015, 04:16 PM
I ado agree with Kami - I am in no way jealous of people having sleeves I don't have. I just take pride in what I do have, and the more I have the more satisfied I feel. I have no desire to complain about others having KS sleeves - on the other hand, when I see event sleeves, the opportunity and doubt throw me for a loop, and that isn't exactly a great feeling.

On the other hand, getting my hands on something I thought would be hard/impossible to get is very satisfying, so it isn't all bad. As an example, I don't need the Jadiim sleeves, nor am I hunting for them. But if I managed to get them? That would be very cool.

Mahes
05-19-2015, 04:29 PM
I agree and I disagree.

Yes, there is a compulsion to wanting to have 1 of everything but I actually believe that just as many players get the items to show off what they have. The Artwork for the AA's generally is better than the common artwork. What would be the purpose of this, if not to show off that card? I limit what I collect to what I realistically can. There has only been one AA I wanted bad enough, that I did pay the "I cannot believe I just paid that amount for this" amount for it, and that was the Mirror Knight AA. I just figured that that was one of the few AA's used in a lot of competition decks and it was rare enough to at least hold value.

Sleeves are sleeves. Either I can get them or I cannot. I will not worry about what cannot be gotten. Even a completionist knows better than to collect what cannot be collected. A great example of this would be the Producer Sleeves. I pretty much consider those in the same category as items that are created by the people who work for the company, and thus it is impossible for me too get.

Sparrow
05-19-2015, 04:34 PM
About half of the negatives listed in the OP are issues hinging on the maturity of a player -- specifically whether they feel entitled to things they don't have and are unwilling to work for and/or pay a premium to have. I don't feel that's a basis to make design decisions on, especially since I'd imagine everyone coming from a pay to play/win background understands how TCG's work.

There is definitely a finite limit on the number of different cards you can have for a format to be interesting and competitive, so set rotation is a necessity, there's no getting around that. Further, the game can only support a limited number of formats. It wouldn't work to have sets 1 and 2 be available to draft in perpetuity, along side sets 3 and 4, 5 and 6 and 7, etc. up to sets 50, 51, and 52.

What's more collectivity means nothing if everyone can get everything for all of future time. The cards have value because they're collectible. Just look at how worthless virtually all of the Arena equipment is because everyone has everything right now, practically. I guess it's not possible to be valued less than worthless, but that's what will happen if five years from now, players can still farm the same equipment.

As far as people feeling alienated from the game because of exclusivity, it's very likely that if people feel this way, then this isn't going to be the game for them, unless CZE ruins it for all the people that appreciate the collective nature of Hex (in other words, the money spenders). There are a lot of games out there and playing Hex is by no means a requirement in someone's gaming life. Hex will fail if it tries to be everything to everybody. It can carve out as large a niche as CZE wants, but never lose sight of the fact that, at the end of the day, it still is just a niche.

nicosharp
05-19-2015, 04:43 PM
My thought is that these economy threads you're creating seem... biased. To say the least. :confused:
Kids will be kids. Adults need stuff to talk about. :confused:

The OP was just a conversation starter. 2 minutes of thought put into the positives and negatives. Don't read into them too much. The prompt was Yoss' posts to those trying to buy AA bucc sleeves on the trade forum here.

mvcaposino
05-19-2015, 04:48 PM
As having the experience of getting an extra one of these AA sleeves and trying to sell it has given me a new perspective. I hope crypto does one of two things regarding con exclusive stuff. 1- They make it account bound at the event. or 2- They make them in game tradeable items like mercs. I feel shady trying to sell my extra code and its easy for bad stuff to happen because they dont support it in game. Someone could offer a code for trade and get payment then not send or never have the code. Or the person with the code could trade it and then the person cry foul and want their goods back for a code that "doesnt work". I feel quite awkward being in this situation but i am super tight with money and would like to benefit from selling one.

Xenavire
05-19-2015, 04:51 PM
I did have a thought about the sleeves and 'exclusive art' (which I can see being a real PITA for some people who really like the art of something essentially unobtainable) - could sleeve 'reprints' be done, but with some obvious watermark to show it isn't the original 'collector' edition?

I mean, it would cater to collectors (get all the versions!) art lovers (they get to use an art they have a soft spot for) and wouldn't harm anyone directly (except maybe those trying to resell the originals, and I don't see that as a completely bad thing as long as the reprints were years down the track.) Also, they wouldn't have to be widely available or even common, just available enough to give people a shot at the art later on (think of a system like Uruunaz or something, where you get an exclusive sleeve reprint for some hard work.)

Lafoote
05-19-2015, 05:09 PM
I'm only really rabid about the stuff that affects game play. I enjoy sleeves and AA cards, but I don't feel like I'm going to bleed out if I don't get them all. When it comes to Mercs, PvE cards, and equipment, I'll be inconsolable if I am unable to acquire them somehow.

I'm already annoyed after a few months of arena runs I have yet to see Uruunaz. If they plan on having limited time events with that absurd level of rarity, I will be very disappointed.

magic_gazz
05-19-2015, 05:30 PM
The problem with giving exclusives at live events is it makes it unavailable to a large number of people (often non americans).

Not only do they miss out on the cool real life events, the miss out on in game things. I don't think that can ever really be a positive.

The problem with sleeves that can only be obtained by RNG (Uruunaz) is that it makes it unfun. I made the choice not to keep grinding arena even though I want the sleeves. I don't want to end up hating the game for becoming a grind fest.

Everything should be tradeable in my opinion. If people are willing to pay for something let them pay.

poizonous
05-19-2015, 06:36 PM
I hated the idea of non tradable sleeves from the very beginning but honestly ever since the new default sleeves I really havent cared as the basic sleeves currently out do many of the available sleeves.

whiteyzz
05-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Honestly what they should do is for Gencon / Pax / ECT is make a 30$ (ball park) pass for all those that cant come to get all the stuff they could get from going to gen con, and have a private stream of their stuff.

Ertzi
05-19-2015, 11:30 PM
Just make the stuff available in-game at the same time as the event. Attach a hefty price tag on them if you have to, like 5000 plat or something. I don't care. Just make everything available. Crypto makes more money that way, and people are happier. People buy the stuff anyway now, but from the black market, and no money goes to the development of the game, and many are left annoyed by the process.

The convention attendees would still get everything free, so they would still come out ahead. And don't even try to tell me that anyone travels to these things solely for some sleeves for one game (let's kill the "it takes more money to travel" argument instantly). You were always going to go anyway. I would travel to these things every time, if they ever were in my country, even if there were no prizes whatsoever. I would really like to chat with the developers some time and thank them in person.

Gwaer
05-19-2015, 11:41 PM
I'd be less happy, also I'd never been to Gencon prior to the first hex event. And wouldn't go if it wasn't there. So, the I was always going to go anyway argument is definitely not accurate.

Jacklau89
05-20-2015, 01:01 AM
Missing out event items like unique sleeves or common AA cards is definitely annoying (for most, I guess), however, I completely understand Cory's intention on this policy. By giving out these limited yet attractive cosmetic items, they could attract new players much more effectively then just distributing free packs/worthless leaflets. Making them also available in game would only please the current player base and do little in marketing.

Hence, as frustrated as I could be, I'm fine with CZE's stand on this :)

Kramer
05-20-2015, 01:21 AM
Am I the only one here who does not understand how sleeves have monetary value after applied to an account. Yes, I would gladly pay $125 for Jadiim sleeves (if anyone has the codes for one, feel free to PM me) or the really rare of the two Poster sleeves (PM me as well), but that is my decision, but once the code is applied to my account, it becomes worthless since I am never going to be able to recoup the value I would pay for them since selling my account at any point and time is illegal and would ban the account. Therefore, it is just my personal choice to acquire as many sleeves as possible because I consider myself to be a Collector and I like the bragging rights of owning them, but all it is are bragging rights, nothing more. Besides, no one will be able to acquire every sleeve since some are for international use only, others would of had to buy every KS tier and put them all on the same account, some are for devs only, and you would have to reach Exalted every year, so I really do not understand why in the end it really matters. Personally, I will try to get all the sleeves I can acquire, but I know I will never be able to get all of them.

Ertzi
05-20-2015, 01:39 AM
I'd be less happy, also I'd never been to Gencon prior to the first hex event. And wouldn't go if it wasn't there. So, the I was always going to go anyway argument is definitely not accurate.

Okay, fair enough. But would you still go if they didn't hand out any rewards for it? I bet you would, just to see the HEX people. I would. What I really meant was that I don't believe many people attend the 'Cons solely because of the sleeves. I totally get that you wouldn't go if HEX wasn't there. I might not either.

Ertzi
05-20-2015, 01:47 AM
Am I the only one here who does not understand how sleeves have monetary value after applied to an account. Yes, I would gladly pay $125 for Jadiim sleeves (if anyone has the codes for one, feel free to PM me) or the really rare of the two Poster sleeves (PM me as well), but that is my decision, but once the code is applied to my account, it becomes worthless since I am never going to be able to recoup the value I would pay for them since selling my account at any point and time is illegal and would ban the account. Therefore, it is just my personal choice to acquire as many sleeves as possible because I consider myself to be a Collector and I like the bragging rights of owning them, but all it is are bragging rights, nothing more. Besides, no one will be able to acquire every sleeve since some are for international use only, others would of had to buy every KS tier and put them all on the same account, some are for devs only, and you would have to reach Exalted every year, so I really do not understand why in the end it really matters. Personally, I will try to get all the sleeves I can acquire, but I know I will never be able to get all of them.

I also do not understand how sleeves would have any monetary value after redeeming the code. Is someone arguing that they do? By the way, I will also pay real money for the poster sleeve codes. PM me if you have them :). I will definitely pay more for the signed ones though, as they are way cooler-looking. Offer Kramer first, because he asked first.

EDIT: Although I believe that those poster sleeves will never be sold forward. I think everyone who has those wants to keep them, which I completely understand.

Kramer
05-20-2015, 02:10 AM
Yes, the signed poster sleeves are awesome and I wish I was there to buy them, but I could not attend GenCon since it was my anniversary weekend and my wife would kill me if I went to GenCon. I do agree with you Ertzi that I doubt the signed ones are available and not on an account by now but I like all Collectors would love to be able to acquire them.

Ertzi
05-20-2015, 02:20 AM
I could not attend GenCon since it was my anniversary weekend and my wife would kill me if I went to GenCon.

Good call there :D

KingGabriel
05-20-2015, 02:48 AM
Yes, the signed poster sleeves are awesome and I wish I was there to buy them, but I could not attend GenCon since it was my anniversary weekend and my wife would kill me if I went to GenCon. I do agree with you Ertzi that I doubt the signed ones are available and not on an account by now but I like all Collectors would love to be able to acquire them.

Tell her the gencon sleeves will be an anniversary gift, she'll understand :rolleyes:

bootlace
05-20-2015, 05:08 AM
Here's my take:

-Exclusives are cool...when you earn them in-game.
-Exclusives should always be available, if they're functional. Maybe make the requirement harder after a brief window, but don't lock out content. Creates an unbalanced playing field and that sucks in an MMO.
-Exclusive sleeves/AA's you can cut off and never make available again, it's fine.
-Totally against functional exclusives being handed out at conventions (ie: mercenaries).
-Put an expiry date on the convention exclusive codes (~1 week). Don't think its healthy for people to turn this into some investment ploy because then you're going to be creating the whole KS code fiasco perpetually as people flock to shady sites looking to land codes that leads to scamming.
-Announce the conventions where exclusive items will be handed out publicly, in English, in advance, on the main Hex website!

Ertzi
05-20-2015, 05:15 AM
-Announce the conventions where exclusive items will be handed out publicly, in English, in advance, on the main Hex website!

This would be very desirable. I currently have no idea what convention exclusives even exist. I mean, I know the main ones, but it seems the number of these events is increasing, and there might be some I have no idea about. It would certainly help to have an official source for every event-exclusive item well beforehand the actual event. Then it might be possible to plan a bit better. I hate reading about this stuff on the forum like a day before or something.

Gwaer
05-20-2015, 09:50 AM
I've never once sold a convention exclusive. The best part about them is joining streams and giving them away, which I do pretty much anytime I join a stream. That said I'm not against people selling them. Just like the sleeve discussion scarcity drives both interest and value. Offering everything in client is a terrible terrible idea. So much hype us generated by these location specific items.

If there were no hex exclusives at gencon id almost certainly still go to see people. But I wouldn't spend 100% of my time in the hex area as I've done every other year earning sxclusives to give away throughout the year. And I think that's a real shame. Because Hex is my number one priority, but if I don't have a goal I'm working towards I'd just be monopolozing developer time that could be used on selling new players, I'm already sold. Any second they waste just talking to me is kind of wasted.

Yewstance
05-20-2015, 09:55 AM
In regards to general Hex exclusivity (of more or less anything)...

Firstly, as someone who missed the Kickstarter hype, and wary about third party sites selling codes, the gray area of acceptability of it, my own personal budgets, the markup, etc - I have a certain degree of fatigue seeing the (seemingly) enormous list of content, exclusives and benefits that so many have, but by the same token there's justification in that the tiers were meant to, well, sell. By putting money into a game so early you're taking a great risk for the hope of eventual, cost-efficient reward, something that many tiers I'm sure already feel they've gotten.

Quite besides, so much of the exclusive content is tradeable, and the PvP-defining content is still very very attainable without being in these tiers or spending large sums of money. From what I got as a Slacker Backer, I've 'gone infinite' with drafting quite easily and worked my way up to full collection of commons/uncommons, an almost full collection of rares, a full sets of a few constructed-defining legendaries, almost 10,000p stored away, an enormous quantity of chests and at least 20 boosters on hand at any given time. So I can't complain about feeling like Hex is treating me anything but very generously in the PvP area from very little monetary input (though a large degree of time input).

Perhaps when I feel the sting of exclusivity most, though, more than any other, is in aspects of the PvE. The Dungeon Crawler bonuses leading a section of the playerbase to be rewarded 'more' for the time they put into PvE grinding than, say, myself, makes me feel like my time is worth less if I choose to grind Arena. From a purely time-reward perspective, I feel penalized for choosing to grind Arena rather than, say, grind draft, sell cards/packs for gold. Whilst Arena has its own charm, it's still a motivation-killer that I will forever be less efficient than anyone from Dungeon Crawler tiers or above.

(Upon further research, my underlined statements below seem misguided, more description at the end of my post

When more PvE content is out, as well as more KS rewards, I suspect this feeling of mine may extend further. Again, as something of a power gamer, it has the potential to inhibit my motivation to raid when I know that some players are simply going to be strictly better at it because they always start with more cards in hand (E.G. Raid Leader Tier), even playing identical decks. The fact that the subset of people with these qualities are tiny isn't really comforting, as this is an example of something not just effecting progression or efficiency, but actual gameplay effectiveness.

I recognize the arguments for it. It's only in a human-team-vs-AI situation, certainly nowhere like PvP, so seeing a Raid Leader is supposed to be a "Hey, awesome, this guy can really help us all out!", but it still generates a certain combination of envy and apathy with the realization that nothing I can do within the context of the game will ever make me "as helpful" to the team as one of them - at least assuming the Raid Leader has the same collection and skill, or more, than myself. I'm forced into a lower skill ceiling, and I find myself obsessing over that extensively.

TL;DR:
-PvE "efficiency boosters" like Dungeon Crawler rewards make me feel like my time is less valued than another player doing the same thing when grinding, killing my motivation to do so.
-Raid Leader bonus card in opening raid hands also kills PvE motivation with the realization that, assuming a same skill and collection cap, another player is simply always going to play better than me, with a better deck and better chances even in a team-vs-AI environment. Not possible to be 'the best' at anything of the sort without being lucky enough to drop in on the Kickstarter, apparently.

(Extra note regarding Raid Leader buff:

Whilst checking up some things before I posted this reply, I found that the Raid Leader buff seems intended to affect every player in the raid. That actually stamps my second main complaint quite nicely, though my Dungeon Crawler misgivings remain)

nicosharp
05-20-2015, 10:07 AM
With a dungeon crawler tier myself, I will say that the benefits are really just the bonus loot drops, which, at this rate of content release, will continue to be virtually worthless. Yeah, it's great when I get a Bonus loot Xocoy or something, but it's kind of silly to be jealous of someone with this bonus.

It still takes work to turn free rewards into plat. It will take even more work to try and turn product into real-money through third party trade.

The real thing to akin this to is that a Dungeon Crawler essentially paid for a passive bonus that does not really effect anything. The player base is the one effecting everything, especially the value of which gold and loot are considered to be worth. Really, if you are of a farming mind-set, it should be the player ran economy that governs what is more appropriate for you to do... Not exclusivity entitlement that effects active income of a very small playerbase that spent large incomes to buy-in to an idea....

Yoss
05-20-2015, 11:00 AM
Raid Leader is the only one that annoys me, since it gives direct mechanical advantage. Dungeon Crawler and Guild Leader are both just minor time advantage for grinding loot, but in this game we already have time=money at work, so it suits me just fine that some founders of the game get a small boost for their investment.

Zophie
05-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Any second they waste just talking to me is kind of wasted.

I only need 20 seconds for a hug from Cory and then I'll be all set. :D

EntropyBall
05-20-2015, 12:08 PM
I will never understand the giant fight against these non-gameplay exclusives. It is astronomically difficult/expensive to get EVERYTHING in any sort of collectible market. That's like .. the basis.. for the market, and calling it collectible. If your brain simply can't handle that, you will probably struggle with this as a hobby. To me, most of the arguments sound like whining along the lines of "if I can't have it, no one can".

In short, I'm obviously fine with exclusives. If some of them are things I really, really want, I'll just buy them from someone.

Edit: And for the people who backed this game in the KS, and thus have exclusive things that no one can ever get, to then argue that they shouldn't put in exclusives at a con, because "its not fair to those who can't attend" is just massive hypocrisy.

Ertzi
05-20-2015, 12:23 PM
I will never understand the giant fight against these non-gameplay exclusives. It is astronomically difficult/expensive to get EVERYTHING in any sort of collectible market. That's like .. the basis.. for the market, and calling it collectible. If your brain simply can't handle that, you will probably struggle with this as a hobby. To me, most of the arguments sound like whining along the lines of "if I can't have it, no one can".

In short, I'm obviously fine with exclusives. If some of them are things I really, really want, I'll just buy them from someone.

Of course you don't understand, if you are not one of the unfortunate people for whom everything is something they really, really want :) I wish I had your mindset about this particular issue.

Kami
05-20-2015, 12:29 PM
Edit: And for the people who backed this game in the KS, and thus have exclusive things that no one can ever get, to then argue that they shouldn't put in exclusives at a con, because "its not fair to those who can't attend" is just massive hypocrisy.

I understand your sentiment but I don't agree with it.

The difference between a con and the KS is that the KS was not region-specific. As far as I'm aware, everyone had equal opportunity to back the KS. The irony especially is that HEX is a purely digital TCG.

You could argue that someone couldn't afford it during the KS or didn't know about it but that's vastly different from being locked away by geography. You could also argue that people had equal opportunity to spend X money for travel, lodging, etc; but on the flip-side, the KS, everyone paid the same bar currency exchange.

Gwaer
05-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Is it really vastly different? Seems to me it's just another situation where people can't afford things. Be it buying from someone after or going yourself. There will always be the haves and the wants. That's what drives a collectible market. Some of the haves get it from being RNG lucky. Some get it from being geographically lucky, some by dint I'd their huge inheritance, and some by hard work. It's all the same really though. Some people have what you want. If you want it bad enough to pay the price you can get it.

Xenavire
05-20-2015, 12:40 PM
I understand your sentiment but I don't agree with it.

The difference between a con and the KS is that the KS was not region-specific. As far as I'm aware, everyone had equal opportunity to back the KS. The irony especially is that HEX is a purely digital TCG.

You could argue that someone couldn't afford it during the KS or didn't know about it but that's vastly different from being locked away by geography. You could also argue that people had equal opportunity to spend X money for travel, lodging, etc; but on the flip-side, the KS, everyone paid the same bar currency exchange.

Yeah, this I totally agree with - if I could spend the entry fee to Gencon, and that was all, I would attend every year. Hell, if I didn't have to pay for travel to any event or con, I would never miss one, ever. But travel costs are so ludicrously exclusionary for some people that comparing it too the KS is beyond wrong. I paid the same as every other king player, but I can't pay the same as the average american to visit Gencon. (Gamescom on the other hand... Too bad money is looking very tight this year.)

Kami
05-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Is it really vastly different? Seems to me it's just another situation where people can't afford things. Be it buying from someone after or going yourself. There will always be the haves and the wants. That's what drives a collectible market. Some of the haves get it from being RNG lucky. Some get it from being geographically lucky, some by dint I'd their huge inheritance, and some by hard work. It's all the same really though. Some people have what you want. If you want it bad enough to pay the price you can get it.

My point was that in one scenario, everyone is paying wildly different prices to get the same thing (i.e. cost to attend con to get the same 'exclusives'). The other scenario is everyone paying the same price to get the same exclusives (for however much they paid for the rewards they selected).

Whether someone can afford it or not or meet the timeline or not is inconsequential for this comparison imo.

Assuming there are no costs attached for me other than the price of a product I sell, it'd be like me selling X to Country A for $13 and then selling X to Country B for $31 just because they couldn't buy it in Country A.

Gwaer
05-20-2015, 12:47 PM
You didn't actually pay the same as every other king tier. Different Internet costs in various countries. Different strength of various currencies. Those things are incidental costs and not thought about. So are travel costs. More over, you could find someone who is going to Gencon, buy your own badge let them walk around with it, and pay them any entry fees to try to pick you up exclusives if you really wanted. There are solutions to these problems for people who really are interested in paying just the entry fee and avoiding the travel. If you were interested in doing that. But most people that say they are, aren't actually.

Also, after the fact most people are paying near the same price for any exclusives on the secondary market.

Saeijou
05-20-2015, 01:07 PM
Well... the good thing will be, that if there will somewhen be the possebility to get real money out of the game, I will probably sell all my exclusive cards, since I can't achieve 100%.

So more chances for everyone else! ;)

katkillad
05-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Aren't the AA cards given away supposed to be available to obtain in game at some point? Is that just a one off thing for Ozawa and Pippit if/when it ever happens? I'm glad I don't really care about sleeves because yes, it would bother me knowing there are going to be some only given away at some con on the other side of the world that I didn't even know about until after it was over.

Gwaer
05-20-2015, 07:03 PM
Yea. AA cards from cons are supposed to be available in client somehow.

Thrawn
05-21-2015, 06:39 AM
Yea. AA cards from cons are supposed to be available in client somehow.

I've heard this before, that the AA Ozawa for example will be available again. Do we have an official source on this?

ossuary
05-21-2015, 06:40 AM
Yes, Cory. Multiple times. Don't have a direct link in front of me, but it's been said on several occasions.

KingGabriel
05-21-2015, 08:47 AM
Source: this thread http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=40331&highlight=counts

"1. Counts may go up on some of the cards as people are still redeeming KS codes and we for example will release more Ozawas and Jovial Pippits in the future."

Svenn
05-21-2015, 08:53 AM
https://www.hextcg.com/exclusives-treasure-and-mercenaries/

What we’re doing is this: the sleeves are given out only if you attend the event, like a collectible convention badge (sleeves are going to be EARNED). The mercenaries and alternate art cards will be included in the booster pack treasure chests generated during the hours of the event (in the case of Gen Con 2014, it would be 12 AM Thursday to 11:59 PM Sunday, across all four days of the convention).

Now, I know this creates a bit of a problem for Gen Con 2013 since you won’t be able to open booster packs during this time. So, in this case, we will add GenCon 2013 to the loot table of GenCon 2014.

https://www.hextcg.com/hex-update-convention-season/

And for those of you who can’t attend Gen Con, we’ll be making both the Gen Con 2013 and 2014 alternate art cards and mercenaries available digitally through the game client for some period of time in the future, as promised. We’ll give you plenty of notice when that event will be and how you can potentially get these promos.

This has come up multiple times (since we've missed 2 years worth now) and the idea is that con stuff will be available in client later. There's actually a newer post somewhere that explains that they will NOT be available in treasure chests but from alternate methods, but I don't have time to dig it up. But, any previous cons stuff that haven't happened yet will be rolled up into the first year when this stuff is available.

ossuary
05-21-2015, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys. I knew it was around somewhere, just didn't have the source on hand. :)

Svenn
05-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Here's the other part:
https://www.hextcg.com/friday-update-the-near-future/

One of the things we have been discussing as Gen Con approaches is the promise I made last year about dropping the Con exclusives in the future. I know that in the past we talked about doing holiday and promotional rewards attached to the chests opened during that specific promotion or holiday. In retrospect, this method of distribution is not ideal, as it makes people feel bad for opening packs/chests outside of these promotional periods. I never want you to feel bad opening packs or chests, so we are reworking the way promotional rewards will drop.

We are going to create a new item that you can loot and call them Holiday Gifts or Gen Con Gifts (final names TBD). These items will drop from various activities in the game and won’t be tied to packs, Wheels of Fate, or Chests. Examples where you might see these drops will include (not all are going to be implemented immediately, and they may be subject to change):

Wins from matchmaking (not the challenge button—the blind matchmaking)
Completion of quests in the game
Progression through PvE content