PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Allow conversion of codes into one-use tradable items

Zophie
05-19-2015, 03:44 PM
I've been thinking a lot about the problem of scammers in the third party markets and was wondering if there might be a way for Hex to help provide options to make trading codes slightly safer without completely restricting everything (and maybe even increasing their value).

So I had the idea that instead of redeeming a kickstarter/promo code directly to your account, Hex could provide a second alternative option (emphasis on optional) to convert your code into a single-use consumable item that can sit in your inventory and be traded to people in-game. Using the item will then remove it and apply whatever benefit the code would have provided to your account. This way if people wanted a safer way to buy codes from people, they could use the COD option in mail to pay for it using plat or whatever currency is agreed upon, and know that they will actually get what they are paying for.

I do realize there are some cons to this suggestion, in particular some people will want to still trade codes for real currency out of game (at their own risk of course). That's totally fair and I think as long as the code conversion stays completely optional this should still be okay. There's also the argument that certain types of promo codes that award things like sleeves would essentially become tradable which Hex has previously stated they were opposed to, however I still think the one-time use nature of this system is a decent compromise that warrants reconsideration of this stance, especially considering the added benefits to customer safety it would provide.

Anyway, just my ideas on the matter, I don't really have much invested in this issue, I don't really ever trade codes or try to buy or sell them or anything, but I've heard enough from other people that I think this could be a good solution for some (not all) of the risks involved. I realize it might be kind of a niche issue so this probably doesn't need top priority for development, but if it doesn't take too long to implement then it might be pretty nice to have available for players to use.

Chime in with your thoughts below!

bootlace
05-19-2015, 03:54 PM
I do realize there are some cons to this suggestion, in particular some people will want to still trade codes for real currency out of game (at their own risk of course).

Not 'some people', pretty much 'everyone' who'd wanna sell a KS code in the first place.

Zophie
05-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Not 'some people', pretty much 'everyone' who'd wanna sell a KS code in the first place.

I dunno, I think it's kind of a trade off. I know there are people with a bunch of extra codes they haven't redeemed yet but they would be willing to trade them for plat instead of cash if that's what it took to find a buyer. On the flip side there's probably a good amount of people out there that don't want to take the risk of paying cash for codes but would be willing pay plat instead if they had a secure method to do it like this.

Parzival
05-19-2015, 04:56 PM
Depends Bootlace, one (and a half) year draft codes for instance, I have one I haven't redeemed yet, if I could make a trade for a reasonable amount of plat in game, I might consider it.

Full KS pledge codes? Doubtful, the handful that are not redeemed, people will want to trade out of the game, even with the risk associated.

Still like the idea.

mvcaposino
05-19-2015, 05:00 PM
I like the idea of converting codes to items. It would make it easier to do legitimate business with all things hex related.

Vynx
05-20-2015, 03:51 AM
Or cryptozoic could just sell new "founder packs", or the weekly draft in certain packs, like monthly, 6 months, and lifetime and the issue would be over since it's what most people are looking for anyways.

Yoss
05-20-2015, 10:45 AM
I support the OP idea.

Ertzi
05-20-2015, 12:40 PM
I agree, this idea is clearly overpowered.