PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Epic Rap Battles

Lefto
05-22-2015, 01:46 AM
So, inspired by this thread: Reese vs Gralk (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=43221) I would like to make an effort to make a weekly rap battle between 2 popular troops.

The idea:
Two arch-rivals from various competitive constructed decks will be presented to the public, each with their own rapping lyrics. For example, for the first week I would like to introduce the classic battle between AoD and VK.

The thread will have a poll where people can vote who they think won the battle and will ofc be open to comments.

At the end of each week there will be a random selection among the people who voted and commented so they can get the prizes. The prizes should include one card of each of the 2 combatants as well as some packs.

What we need to make that happen:
Creative team! If you wanna be part of the creative team responsible for making the actual rap battle each week please step forth!
Sponsors! In order to be able to keep this interesting and unique we need to be able to cover the prize pool. If we can't get enough sponsorship I will just throw in a few packs, but if we could actually give out copies of the 2 combatants (who would tend to be expensive cards) that would be freaking awesome. So if you would be interested in sponsoring such an event, please say so!

wolzarg
05-22-2015, 04:23 AM
It was fun for a thread but honestly is this really worth the effort and likely to be any good?

DocX
05-22-2015, 06:07 AM
It was fun for a thread but honestly is this really worth the effort and likely to be any good?

Yeah, the guy who did the first rap in that thread had some weak rhymes.

Lefto
05-22-2015, 07:54 AM

Judging by how quickly people responded with their rhymes in the original thread, I would have to say that it wouldn't take much effort to make this happen. Whether it will be good or not is probably a matter of taste.
It's not like it's gonna be a grand event but more like something nice we can look forward to every week or so.

Lefto
05-22-2015, 07:59 AM
Yeah, the guy who did the first rap in that thread had some weak rhymes.

Wait a minute... aren't... Oh, I see what you did there ;)

RCDv57
05-22-2015, 09:10 AM
I've thought about doing something like this a great deal.
There are far more than just two people who like to Rap on the forums.

If you want to do something like this, my advice would to be build a team of judges not rappers.
Judges would select a winner(s) based on absolutely no criteria whatsoever.
(Judges would also be able to participate, but not win any prizes)

Lefto
05-22-2015, 10:19 AM
I've thought about doing something like this a great deal.
There are far more than just two people who like to Rap on the forums.

If you want to do something like this, my advice would to be build a team of judges not rappers.
Judges would select a winner(s) based on absolutely no criteria whatsoever.
(Judges would also be able to participate, but not win any prizes)

The reason why I thought of a team of rappers instead of judges is exactly because I don't want people to lose a battle (and thus prizes) just because some judge said so. Whereas with a creative team, anyone who wants to rap will freely do so but the prizes will be given out randomly to the community.

israel.kendall
05-22-2015, 12:49 PM
I would like to see these rap battles with actual video on youtube please.

N3rd4Christ
05-22-2015, 12:51 PM
I would like to see these rap battles with actual video on youtube please.

What he said :P

vickrpg
05-22-2015, 01:08 PM
I would love to be involved in this, either as a writer or a "reader" on videos.

Zophie
05-22-2015, 01:19 PM
lol I might also be convinced to do some "dramatic readings" of these, maybe with some vocal FX ;)

Lefto
05-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Errrr, I would really have no time to make videos out of this, BUT if the creative team can support such a thing then that would be 100% pure awesomeness! Let's wait for some more responses on this thread and we'll see what we can manage.

israel.kendall
05-22-2015, 04:02 PM
Maybe, since not everyone has time and/or ability to do the videos, there could be volunteer video creators who could rap what someone else has written. Maybe the writer could choose a reader-rapper they prefer. Then the writer and video guy/reader can split the prizes. Just a thought, I just think it has the potential to be highly entertaining.

RobHaven
05-22-2015, 04:44 PM
The people rapping in the videos will be in full cosplay, right? Right?!

israel.kendall
05-22-2015, 04:46 PM
The people rapping in the videos will be in full cosplay, right? Right?!

I think if it is left wide open, the video guys might come up with even better ideas than cosplay

Also, video is not really needed, could be just the sound track. Here is one of my favorite ones from EVE Online. (ISK is the game currency)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlJMNr-BKLg

Yewstance
05-24-2015, 06:52 PM
I wouldn't be averse to helping out and writing up some verses here or there given a subject matter, appropriate time, etc. I don't know how much to expand it in terms of the medium (videos, etc), prizes, judges, but I think even just a casual almost forum-game type deal (just more structured) could still bring a lot of enjoyment.

Flairina
05-25-2015, 09:58 PM
Would the creative team actually get anything, or would they just be in it for the fun of it? I would assume the latter, but given that prizes would be handed out to random commenters/voters, I feel like it needs to be asked.