PDA

View Full Version : Community Reveal: Set 3 Art - Phenteo the Brood Priest

Phenteo
05-22-2015, 11:30 AM
It's been a fun week! Now it's time to reveal the card you've been voting on!

https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Phenteo-the-Brood-Priest.png

https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Terrorantula.png

Phenteo
https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Community_Art_Reveal_reveal8.png

Phenteo
Congratulations to the following winners!

Sergan
Audens
BlindMan
hex_colin
Liahim
Porthos
smurfizkewl
BTRC
Tinfoil
Vibraxus
N3rd4Christ
Kangsta
Rott
Tachi_The_Lion
Piecetinker

PMs will go out later today with the booster pack codes!

hex_colin
05-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Such a troll! ;)

Gwaer
05-22-2015, 11:31 AM
They spelled your name wrong.

Assassine
05-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Its not april 1st any more Phenteo.

Phenteo
05-22-2015, 11:33 AM
Its not april 1st any more Phenteo.

Nope! It's for realz!

Xenavire
05-22-2015, 11:36 AM
Ah, I just knew it was going to be evil. :p

Svenn
05-22-2015, 11:38 AM
So...is this your vanity card? Is that what Phenteo looks like?

Phenteo
05-22-2015, 11:39 AM
So...is this your vanity card? Is that what Phenteo looks like?

I'm kind of a spider...

Cirouss
OMG! That card is really NICE and a very cool art <3 I will build a collection of phenteos in your honor! (And to make a good amount of profit ;D)

Azzer
Haha, that is hilarious!

And a great card i will use a lot, definitely

Madwand
05-22-2015, 11:40 AM
This card seems be the most OP card ingame =\

Svenn
05-22-2015, 11:42 AM
I'm kind of a spider...

I knew it! You've just got that spider feel about you.

havocattack
05-22-2015, 11:44 AM
omg OP

N3rd4Christ
05-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Those sliders!!!!

GreenMachine92
05-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Awesome card, great art!

Kami
05-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Time to become Xarlox. *halo*

nicosharp
05-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Yikes... Terrorantula's made it to PvP? Time to rage-quit.

AdamAoE2
05-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Well that card is nuts, haha

desk
05-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Awesome card, a lot of power there. Already thinking of the decks I could include it in.

Erukk
05-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Rolling Eternal Sage for mono blood spidergeddeon is looking better and better now.

kaiizza
05-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Just too kind of let you guys know. Some people are extremely afraid of spiders and for some it turns into a crippling fear. I am someone who can get through it but these giant pictures of spider after spider are quite literally causing fear and I know I am not alone. Just a suggestion for the future. Also your avatar image now literally says don't ever click on anything with Phenteo as the author or any forum posts from him. Just saying.

Hadry
05-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Sooo OP :o i want 4 XD

LeMazing
05-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Welp, never playing PvP again. Evereverever.

Erukk
Just too kind of let you guys know. Some people are extremely afraid of spiders and for some it turns into a crippling fear. I am someone who can get through it but these giant pictures of spider after spider are quite literally causing fear and I know I am not alone. Just a suggestion for the future. Also your avatar image now literally says don't ever click on anything with Phenteo as the author or any forum posts from him. Just saying.

That's going to be a bit hard to manage considering one of Hex's major races, and their pets, are spider in nature. One way or another, people are going to get exposed to them.

Seraph_Hex
Can we see the Terrorantula Egg as well? Will it be functionally identical to the Broodlord Egg?

Phenteo
05-22-2015, 12:12 PM
Can we see the Terrorantula Egg as well? Will it be functionally identical to the Broodlord Egg?

EDIT: My apologies for the misinformation. I was under the impression they were different, but I was just informed that they will work same in functionality.

NOBLERoostasaur
05-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Can i get one scrambled and one over-easy then please :)

nicosharp
05-22-2015, 12:15 PM

You better Sacrifice yourself in response to it entering your belly.

NOBLERoostasaur
05-22-2015, 12:19 PM
*Pictures scene from Alien

Xenavire
05-22-2015, 12:20 PM
The two eggs are different in functionality.

Huh, why different? I can't see why they would need to be.

nicosharp
05-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Huh, why different? I can't see why they would need to be.

Perhaps it does not replace itself with Card draw.

Zophie
05-22-2015, 12:21 PM

I'll get the bacon started!

Thoom
05-22-2015, 12:24 PM
Perhaps it does not replace itself with Card draw.

That would be even more absurdly broken. I think it's going to be more along the lines of brood lord eggs put the terorrantula into play, whereas terrorantula eggs put it into your hand. It's still card advantage, and terrorantulas are still a hilariously good card, but it stops it from being quite so frustrating when RNG screws you.

Thrawn
05-22-2015, 12:24 PM
Ha, ha, very funny. Like someone would actually think it was a good idea to take arguably the most hated mechanic of the least enjoyable Arena encounter that people have constantly complained about and make it a PvP card.

hex_colin
05-22-2015, 12:26 PM
Ha, ha, very funny. Like someone would actually think it was a good idea to take arguably the most hated mechanic of the least enjoyable Arena encounter that people have constantly complained about and make it a PvP card.

You're going to hate 3-3-3 drafting... ;)

Steelio
05-22-2015, 12:27 PM
I mean, uh, power creep? Assuming when your opponent draws one they add it to your hand, compare for example rot caster. I really liked Eternal Sage because it provides a great deal of utility but this just seems kinda... Plus the fact that it hard-counters Angel of Dawn... I dunno. The argument is that everyone will have access to cards like these, which is true, but I at least would like the former sets to be relevant power-wise. Don't wanna be whining here, but people - even the most experienced players - can have a hard time with Xarloxx in the arena. Seems kinda rough.

Thrawn
05-22-2015, 12:28 PM
You're going to hate 3-3-3 drafting... ;)

Well, at least I won't be alone from the looks of it.

Xenavire
05-22-2015, 12:30 PM
I mean, uh, power creep? Assuming when your opponent draws one they add it to your hand, compare for example rot caster. I really liked Eternal Sage because it provides a great deal of utility but this just seems kinda... Plus the fact that it hard-counters Angel of Dawn... I dunno. The argument is that everyone will have access to cards like these, which is true, but I at least would like the former sets to be relevant power-wise. Don't wanna be whining here, but people - even the most experienced players - can have a hard time with Xarloxx in the arena. Seems kinda rough.

Difference here is you can remove it before it has a chance to activate. It also only starts paying off on your turn 4 (if you mill) or your opponents turn 4/5 (if you are insanely lucky.)

It can be unholy if it in unanswered, but the same can be said of a lot of cards.

Aradon
05-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Seems pretty good. 1/4 for 3 can be workable, and it has a strong complimentary ability. I wonder how the eggs will function. I'm guessing they have to be milled, rather than drawn.

MatWith1T
05-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Remember when everyone said The Killipede was going to be the broken pay2win card of Set 2 during spoilers? And Reese was a $4 card?

hex_colin
05-22-2015, 12:32 PM
Well, at least I won't be alone from the looks of it.

It's not as bad as it seems. So, 3-3-3 provides the opportunity to go Vennen/Eggs/Mill as one of the archetypes. 1 or 2 people in your draft will likely be trying to impersonate Xarlox. But, the vast majority of their spiders are much, much weaker, and the mill is less consistent. So, "Xarlox with training wheels". You just have to adapt. And draft archetypes to counter it. The circle of drafting continues...

theghost32
05-22-2015, 12:32 PM
the eggs prolly wont do 4 damage when there activated

crashland
05-22-2015, 12:34 PM
I'll be curious to see if this mechanic alone is all that OP. It's obviously powerful... but Xarlox is nasty because he has this effect once at the start of the game for free every time. Putting the effect on a three drop that is very susceptible to removal seems far, far less scary. Sure, a deck built around it could be powerful... but will it dominate the entire meta? Probably not. Decks that can win on turn four or five are probably not going to be afraid of 3 cards added to their deck on turn 4.

KingGabriel
05-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Remember when everyone said The Killipede was going to be the broken pay2win card of Set 2 during spoilers? And Reese was a $4 card?
I do! :P

KingxOfxThexVoid
05-22-2015, 12:43 PM
looks awesome

Thrawn
05-22-2015, 12:46 PM
It's not as bad as it seems.

I'm not worried about it being OP or even seeing it that much. I just find it surprising given how loudly people have already stated dislike for the randomness of Terrorantualas.

In just what we've seen you could have a Vampire Princess in opening hand with a few Kisses, play a turn 2 Exarch, a turn 3 Brood Priest and a turn 5 Army of Myth for all kinds of complete randomness that could decide the outcome of the game. Granted it's purely a personal opinion that I strongly dislike that much random chance in PvP but I worry how much more we're going to see.

hex_colin
05-22-2015, 12:49 PM
I'm not worried about it being OP or even seeing it that much. I just find it surprising given how loudly people have already stated dislike for the randomness of Terrorantualas.

In just what we've seen you could have a Vampire Princess in opening hand with a few Kisses, play a turn 2 Exarch, a turn 3 Brood Priest and a turn 5 Army of Myth for all kinds of complete randomness that could decide the outcome of the game. Granted it's purely a personal opinion that I strongly dislike that much random chance in PvP but I worry how much more we're going to see.

Good luck getting the threshold for all of that by Turn 5! ;)

There are a few random cards in each set. They're fun. They generally don't end up overwhelming the meta in any meaningful way. Reese is the only one that has come close, but he's not the major reason mono-sapphire is so strong.

incitfulmonk21
05-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Hmmm noticed you can put three eggs per exhaust. Interesting it is not a 1 shot or cost ability.

Saeijou
05-22-2015, 12:59 PM
sweet art and card :) well done guys!

Thrawn
05-22-2015, 01:03 PM
There are a few random cards in each set. They're fun. They generally don't end up overwhelming the meta in any meaningful way. Reese is the only one that has come close, but he's not the major reason mono-sapphire is so strong.

Random cards of one form or another have made up a pretty disproportionately large percent of the spoiled cards so far. Playing random cards is fun and great design space for PvE, losing to random effects in tournaments is not. I wouldn't want to watch a 100k tournament final match where the winner is just decided on who gets the luckier random effects.

NOBLEStarshield
05-22-2015, 01:05 PM
I'm kind of a spider...

Spider masquerading as a Dragon. What's next, Roostasaur didn't eat Jon the Hamster?!

hex_colin
05-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Random cards of one form or another have made up a pretty disproportionately large percent of the spoiled cards so far. Playing random cards is fun and great design space for PvE, losing to random effects in tournaments is not. I wouldn't want to watch a 100k tournament final match where the winner is just decided on who gets the luckier random effects.

They spoil the stuff that you can't do in a paper TCG first. It differentiates the game. They're eye-catching and memorable. We all want to see the newest Countermagic ;), but that's less interesting to the audience at large.

KingGabriel
05-22-2015, 01:09 PM
Spider masquerading as a Dragon. What's next, Roostasaur didn't eat Jon the Hamster?!
#TwistOfTheCentury

Zophie
05-22-2015, 01:12 PM

Turns out Jon actually just decided it was time to start his music career and joined a band:

http://i.imgur.com/8aRtbCf.gif

Phenteo
05-22-2015, 01:18 PM

Sergan
Audens
BlindMan
hex_colin
Liahim
Porthos
smurfizkewl
BTRC
Tinfoil
Vibraxus
N3rd4Christ
Kangsta
Rott
Tachi_The_Lion
Piecetinker

Edswor
05-22-2015, 01:24 PM
"Nice" card and very great art. I think it captures the best of you, Phenteo.

hex_colin
05-22-2015, 01:27 PM

Sergan
Audens
BlindMan
hex_colin
Liahim
Porthos
smurfizkewl
BTRC
Tinfoil
Vibraxus
N3rd4Christ
Kangsta
Rott
Tachi_The_Lion
Piecetinker

Sweet, more stuff to give away! :)

Thanks, Shawn!

NOBLERoostasaur
05-22-2015, 01:30 PM
Turns out Jon actually just decided it was time to start his music career and joined a band

Where is he playing these days?

Edswor
05-22-2015, 01:32 PM

In the "Funny Dead Rubber Band Hamster".

Armies
05-22-2015, 02:20 PM
all hail our new vennen overlords!

Phenteo
05-22-2015, 03:11 PM
all hail our new vennen overlords!

Hahaha. Vennen that disguise themselves as dragons overlords!

Vorsa
05-22-2015, 03:22 PM
What a fiendishly good card!
Definitely a Vennen centre-piece, though not one to play with Relentless Corruption. :o

Lefto
05-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Did anyone actually read the flavor text? If the Vennen win the game, we will have to wait for 8 million years before we can play HEX again. DOWN WITH THEM SPIDERS!

MatWith1T
05-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Did anyone actually read the flavor text? If the Vennen win the game, we will have to wait for 8 million years before we can play HEX again. DOWN WITH THEM SPIDERS!

This is Hex - that 8 Million Years is just the best guess before the project actually starts... actual time the world will be consumed in a death egg is likely to be closer to 15-20 Million years :cool:

Phenteo
05-22-2015, 04:44 PM
I was just informed that Terrorantula Egg and Broodlord Egg will work exactly like each other. Apologies for the confusion.

N3rd4Christ
05-22-2015, 04:58 PM

Poor hamster is in witness protection. Why would anyone answer this question!

KingGabriel
05-22-2015, 05:02 PM
Poor hamster is in witness protection. Why would anyone answer this question!
Shh... *lifts up crown then puts it back down*

Chocmaw
05-22-2015, 05:25 PM

--SPOILER--

That's what triggers the campaign branch off and we get to escape Entrath to explore other worlds ;)

--SPOILER--

Kappa

Mr.Funsocks
05-22-2015, 05:31 PM
The terrorantulas aren't that bad, the only problem with them in the Xentoth encounter is they can randomly come out on turn 1-3, before there's any rational answer to them. This guy will only be even putting them in on turn 4.

Steelio
05-22-2015, 05:50 PM
I think the main problem is that it can be done every turn. Xarlox'ing someone every turn if they have no reliable answer seems kind of rude.

I am super hyped for set 3, don't get me wrong. Some of the cards look amazing, and I especially love the design on the Coyotle. They look absolutely bloody amazing. And as someone pointed out, since we haven't seen the rest of the set, there's no point moaning about one card. So I will moan no more :D Next big T1 deck is 'sapphire protect Phenteo' though, calling it right here ~ :stormcloud:

The terrorantulas aren't that bad, the only problem with them in the Xentoth encounter is they can randomly come out on turn 1-3, before there's any rational answer to them. This guy will only be even putting them in on turn 4.

wolzarg
05-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Spiderbros 4 lyfe *high 35*

Sergan
05-22-2015, 06:55 PM

Sergan
Audens
BlindMan
hex_colin
Liahim
Porthos
smurfizkewl
BTRC
Tinfoil
Vibraxus
N3rd4Christ
Kangsta
Rott
Tachi_The_Lion
Piecetinker

thanks!
=D
im redeem the codes and now im "two booster pack" more rich. :3

Xenavire
05-22-2015, 06:59 PM
I was just informed that Terrorantula Egg and Broodlord Egg will work exactly like each other. Apologies for the confusion.

Damn straight! I swore black and blue they didn't have a reason to be different, then you made me eat my words! Now I can... Un-eat them?... That doesn't sound as pleasant as I had hoped.

Jacklau89
05-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Wow mill deck might actually be a solid constructed archetype now with set 3 cards :) Thanks for the awesome vanity spoilers.

fabriazp
05-22-2015, 07:56 PM
get yours chronic madness now before they go up damn high

poizonous
05-22-2015, 08:33 PM
glad cosmic Totem exists if mill becomes constructed worthy

wolzarg
05-22-2015, 08:41 PM
I think the idea is that mill would win with things derived from the mill not actually by milling the whole deck tho as it is counter productive to putt things in a deck if you want to mill it empty.

Thoom
05-22-2015, 08:53 PM
I think the idea is that mill would win with things derived from the mill not actually by milling the whole deck tho as it is counter productive to putt things in a deck if you want to mill it empty.

The Banes you put in their deck draw/mill a card when drawn/milled, so they don't effect how long it takes to mill out your opponent.

wolzarg
05-22-2015, 09:29 PM
While i get that multiple free murder/5/5 will still win faster than milling in general but your point is taken it doesn't actually impact the milling in this case.

Kangsta
05-22-2015, 11:13 PM
Nice thanks!! Is there a reveal for the egg as well?

exiledtyrant
05-23-2015, 01:06 AM
So basically xarlox's most hated ability in card form?

S117
05-23-2015, 01:24 AM
I honestly have a problem with the tempo the Terrorantula brings..."Hey a free 5/5! What you have a troop that can block it? Too bad it just *exploded*"...Honestly I think the kill should be random not targeted...but then...we are getting a lot closer to HS...

That said it is not as bad a people think...first you have to draw him...then you get him out on turn 3 at best...your opponent then has a turn to kill/bounce it...

Then *IF* it's still alive it puts a mighty 3 cards that might all be at the last 10 of your opponent's deck...you're opponent then has to randomly draw it to get ANY effect from him...

The thing is that mill is the only consistent way to actually let them to proc and if you *are* milling Terrorantula doesn't help much...he has a big body and is a kill, sure, but the hoops you have to jump through to actually GET that body and kill...Phenteo might as well be another Extinction or Murder or [insert new Armies of Myth Blood removal card]...

Yewstance
05-23-2015, 08:10 AM
I take a certain perverse pleasure from this. I got into a heated debate with someone in chat once, when I was throwing ideas to the wind and thinking that "How powerful would a card that mimicked Xarlox's passive in Arena be? How would it be costed, etc?". I came up with the suggestion of a 5 cost basic action, two blood threshold that puts three broodlord eggs in the opponents deck, so more expensive than sabotage, with less targets, but almost certainly a much more powerful effect.

His response (and I cannot recall the name) was to the effect that it would be 'broken'. Whilst I was just throwing ideas out, I vehemently opposed the notion that my very basic example card design was unusually powerful, or even constructed playable in the slightest, citing the speed of the game, the likelihood of how many turns until the effect means anything, etc.

So seeing a card that is, on average, far more powerful than what I threw out that someone complained (in my eyes, very wrongly) about the power level of, is actually triggering a vast degree of schadenfreude, in a sense. Heh.

Oh, yeah, love the card, Phenteo! Very stylish, and so far has continued the double-blood-threshold theme of all (non-PvE) Vennen in the game. Let's see how long that lasts with the spoilers.

Kolokee
05-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Nice thanks!! Is there a reveal for the egg as well?

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/BroodlordEgg.jpg

Aradon
05-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Phenteo said the Terrorlord Eggs are different from Xarlox's Broodlord Eggs. Obviously they create the same troop, but we don't know exactly how it will end up functioning.

Kolokee
05-23-2015, 08:44 PM

He updated it after that, so it looks like they'll be the same. Pretty strong.

Aradon
05-23-2015, 08:47 PM
He updated it after that, so it looks like they'll be the same. Pretty strong.

Oh, I see. Thanks! I didn't notice the update.

YourOpponent
05-26-2015, 02:35 AM
Awesome, but it does appear you forgot to add in Phenteo Eggs, unless a card for that wasn't made. Although people that have played against Xarlox would already know what the eggs would do.

RCDv57
05-26-2015, 06:11 AM
Phenteo + Azurefate + Miling gem = Terrorantula that comes into play, kills a troop, then Mills 10 cards.

If all goes well, you will have 6 Terrorantulas in the others guys deck, and an Azurefate on the field with full mana on turn 5.
There is a pretty good chance that if you are able to mill into 1 of the spiders you will mill their whole entire deck in 1 turn. (unless they are running jankbot)

Pretty easy to stop though as Azurefate only has 2 DEF.

Assassine
05-26-2015, 08:38 AM
run trishard and socket azurefate with spellshield :D

hex_colin
05-26-2015, 09:02 AM
run trishard and socket azurefate with spellshield :D

2 double thresholds! And a single Sapphire. That's a recipe for deck consistency... ;)

Xenavire
05-26-2015, 09:05 AM
3 double thresholds! That's a recipe for deck consistency... ;)

I was thinking the same thing. But it could be worth it, if you splash awesome Coyotles.

I would say that blood/saph is probably the best combo though. Intelligent use of incants, spiders, and general card advantage could be very potent, and all of that can work with Azurefate.