PDA

View Full Version : The Other Four Starter Decks

WolfCrypt
05-25-2015, 01:20 AM
So soon we'll have Coyotle Nercotic Elven and Venishian starter decks and new players can pick any of the eight decks I'm kinda bummed I logged in before they released these cuz I'd rather have a Nercotic deck or maybe Coyotle but alas I have to buy them. So what do you think each deck will focus on? I seem to be getting the vibe that Coyotle will involve spiritualism in the shape of card art and effects, what with their ancestral spirits coming to fight for them and abusing their fortune telling powers. The other decks I've not seen enough cards to make a judgement.

I don't really know how I'll get a starter deck maybe I'll just sell stuff for plat till I have 3k as out of my fave races only Shin'hare are playable till Myth is released. I also hope new champions will be released.

Salverus
05-25-2015, 01:47 AM
new starter decks? I havent heard anything about that.

Also if you are not in a rush, you can just buy the cards from a starter deck from the AH, make the deck in the deckbuilder and do the starter trials that way. Usually much cheaper than the 1000 platinum per deck.

jonsnow2000
05-25-2015, 04:04 AM
It's very unlikely that these new starters will be available for free with the initial signup. It would devalue whatever rare cards are in them immensely for no good reason. The Set 1 starters are a good enough introduction to the game. In fact I hope that once Set 3 and the new starters are live, they greatly reduce the price on the Set 1 starters, or even make them entirely free. That would make for a much better experience for new players.

poizonous
05-25-2015, 04:10 AM
It's very unlikely that these new starters will be available for free with the initial signup. It would devalue whatever rare cards are in them immensely for no good reason. The Set 1 starters are a good enough introduction to the game. In fact I hope that once Set 3 and the new starters are live, they greatly reduce the price on the Set 1 starters, or even make them entirely free. That would make for a much better experience for new players.

Well lets look at starter decks from other games, the rares inside of them are usually always the cheap ones.

And now for the more convincing reason why they will be available for free... What happens when Set 5 rolls out and Set 1 and 2 arent standard tournament legal anymore, are new players supposed to only be able to get those starter decks that arent legal?

WolfCrypt
05-25-2015, 05:12 AM
new starter decks? I havent heard anything about that.

Also if you are not in a rush, you can just buy the cards from a starter deck from the AH, make the deck in the deckbuilder and do the starter trials that way. Usually much cheaper than the 1000 platinum per deck.

Um I already joined so naturally I did the trails. Anyway Set 3 will most likely have decks for the other four races. Set 1 had Shin'hare Dwarves Humans and Orcs this set will have Elves Coyotles Nercotics and Vennan as the focus. Besides most people are pretty sure the other four races will have decks in his set and no Hex employee said otherwise.

Assassine
05-25-2015, 05:45 AM

From what ive heard on RPC, the new starters will be available on signup. They will also be in the shop for a price similar to the Set 1 starters (which wont be made cheaper).

RCDv57
05-25-2015, 06:37 AM
So soon we'll have Coyotle Nercotic Elven and Venishian starter decks...

Venishian!? Tell me Hunam, what is a Venishian?

WolfCrypt
05-25-2015, 07:04 AM
Venishian!? Tell me Hunam, what is a Venishian?

I figured the Elven version for Vennan be Venishian..?

Lukezors
05-25-2015, 08:23 AM
I really hope there are new starters, haven't heard anything about it one way or the other yet. If there are I hope it is possible to complete the trials just by owning the cards in the starter. I also hope they lower the price on them or increase the value by including some extras(i.e. sleeves or a booster?)

hex_colin
05-25-2015, 03:25 PM
There are new starters. Pretty sure I can comfortably say that. :)

WolfCrypt
05-25-2015, 03:31 PM
There are new starters. Pretty sure I can comfortably say that. :)

I really regret logging in before they were out >//< Gah it'll take forever to earn those things oh well no time like present to try and get good at Arena.

MatWith1T
05-25-2015, 03:34 PM
I figured the Elven version for Vennan be Venishian..?

You're thinking of the guys with the gondolas and canals and Italian food. :p

WolfCrypt
05-25-2015, 03:36 PM
I just thought vennan's should have a word to describe something owned by them like elven or dwarven...

MatWith1T
05-25-2015, 04:35 PM
I think kinda like Human the adjective form is the same as the noun

Vorpal
05-26-2015, 10:00 AM
I just thought vennan's should have a word to describe something owned by them like elven or dwarven...

It's just like the case of 'undead' or 'human' the adjective is the same as the noun.

WolfCrypt
05-26-2015, 10:15 AM
Alright can we drop it and talk about the decks..?

nicosharp
05-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Guess - They will probably focus more on set 3 cards than set 2 and 1.

Elf will be ramp troop and allegiance based (Wild/Ruby)
Coyotle will be synergy & Prophecy troop based - perhaps the first tri-color starter Wild/Sapphire/Diamond(if not, my guess is Sapphire/Diamond)
Vennen will be troop heavy with mill elements - I think this will be more control themed than the prior two (Sapphire/Blood)
Necrotic - I didn't think they would have a starter - I'm not even 100% on their color scheme... So have no idea. Probably some combat tricks/removal/shift. (Ruby/Blood/Sapphire?)

If this is the case, Sapphire is all over the place in starters! 5 out of 8!

WolfCrypt
05-26-2015, 10:33 AM
I agree with you Nercotic seem to have no synergy I can't picture a pure Nercotic deck but I want one but they are certainly all over the place!

mttgamer
05-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Guess - They will probably focus more on set 3 cards than set 2 and 1.

Elf will be ramp troop and allegiance based (Wild/Ruby)
Coyotle will be synergy & Prophecy troop based - perhaps the first tri-color starter Wild/Sapphire/Diamond(if not, my guess is Sapphire/Diamond)
Vennen will be troop heavy with mill elements - I think this will be more control themed than the prior two (Sapphire/Blood)
Necrotic - I didn't think they would have a starter - I'm not even 100% on their color scheme... So have no idea. Probably some combat tricks/removal/shift. (Ruby/Blood/Sapphire?)

If this is the case, Sapphire is all over the place in starters! 5 out of 8!

I agree with all of these, I personally think Necrotic will be the first rainbow deck perhaps? I dont know if it's feasible with the cards out, but maybe there will be cards that allow a rainbow deck!

To pose a different question, will starter decks be worth while purchases to someone that already has a collection? Like when set 3 drops, as a person that already has a collection, would it benefit me from grabbing all 4 new starters? Like i know the set 1 starter decks are DEFINITELY not worth $10 on the AH...I'm just curious.

nicosharp
05-26-2015, 11:27 AM
I agree with all of these, I personally think Necrotic will be the first rainbow deck perhaps? I dont know if it's feasible with the cards out, but maybe there will be cards that allow a rainbow deck!

To pose a different question, will starter decks be worth while purchases to someone that already has a collection? Like when set 3 drops, as a person that already has a collection, would it benefit me from grabbing all 4 new starters? Like i know the set 1 starter decks are DEFINITELY not worth $10 on the AH...I'm just curious.
If you have to ask the question, the answer is definitely no.
Starters are always impulsive buys by new casual players.
The goal for most players will be to quickly obtain the cards from the AH to construct the starter decks, at a much lower price-point. However, if HEX ENT. wanted to be diabolical, they could give a sleeve linked to the purchase of a starter, or some other non-tradeable exclusive...... :)

Lukezors
05-26-2015, 12:36 PM
If you have to ask the question, the answer is definitely no.
Starters are always impulsive buys by new casual players.
The goal for most players will be to quickly obtain the cards from the AH to construct the starter decks, at a much lower price-point. However, if HEX ENT. wanted to be diabolical, they could give a sleeve linked to the purchase of a starter, or some other non-tradeable exclusive...... :)

I think adding a sleeve is a good way to do it, the bad way to do it is to make starter trials tied to the purchase of the starter from the store.

Tazelbain
05-26-2015, 12:56 PM
These new starters should have a higher value because a) all free ones will be untradable and 1) no free kickstarters.

IronPheasant
05-26-2015, 01:33 PM
The value will always be lower than the currency spent on it of course. Currency can become anything and therefore has higher utility, but a card can only ever be what it is.

When MTG started including unique cards you could only get in their boxed product starting with the Commander series, that's when they became worth the time of day.

Kind of hope these aren't offered for free as account bound - it'll make the pain of my stupid decision to pick the rabbit starter hurt that much more...

wolzarg
05-26-2015, 01:44 PM

From a monetairy point no but from a collection point possibly. But at that point buying and cracking 20 boosters should give a better effect on both ends.

Tazelbain
05-26-2015, 02:01 PM
When MTG started including unique cards you could only get in their boxed product starting with the Commander series, that's when they became worth the time of day.
Hmm, interesting. And Hex can could even do unique PvE cards so they didn't interfere with the PvP side.