PDA

View Full Version : Reese the Crustcrawler

Lowkey
05-25-2015, 06:32 AM
Hey guys, got this card in a draft yesterday, its really useful for my deck, but I dont play competetive and I will mostly play PvE later.

My question is, do you think the value of this card will drop or increase with the new set? What do you think? Will it be still powerful and can compete with the other cards of the new Set? I dont know anything about the new set, thats why I ask :) thanks for your time!

havocattack
05-25-2015, 06:45 AM
I think it will still be very powerful, I do think it will drop a bit though... hard to really say after what happened with angels/vampires

Xenavire
05-25-2015, 07:09 AM
Knowing how people are... I guarantee an insane drop in fire sale fashion as everyone scrambles for the new cards, then the price will rise slowly over a few weeks until it reaches a stable point.

Lowkey
05-25-2015, 07:28 AM
But Vampire King for example, its value raised right? I mean, with the new set, less boosters are opened from the earlier set, so less of them are in the Auction House, and I could think it would raise the value over time or not? I mean, as long as they dont lose their power right?

wolzarg
05-25-2015, 07:33 AM
Indeed the price recovered just fine.

Xenavire
05-25-2015, 07:36 AM
But Vampire King for example, it value raised right? I mean, with the new set, less boosters are opened from the earlier set, so less of them are in the Auction House, and I could think it would raise the value over time or not? I mean, as long as they dont lose their power right?

Yes, but it took a very long time, and it will likely crash alongside all the set 2 cards. There is also no gurantee that any given card will stay high, or recover from a crash. High power cards that have no place in the meta tend to sell low (Killipede for example is a strong card, but can't break into the meta.) Some cards are also anomalous (Monsuun has barely seen any competitive play, and I don't think it has ever been a key card), and the price crash may cause it to stay low if it can't find a foothold in the meta.

I can't 100% guarantee anything but these outcomes are seeming very likely. The only reason any set 1 or 2 cards will retain value is if they cannot be replaced, and will still be must-haves, and we can't know that until the full spoiler is available. In terms of ununiqueness, however, Reese has the most potential, but on the other hand a lot of powerful Sapphire cards are being spoiled that have the potential to make Reese obsolete, so it's a tough call. (I think a crash is inevitable at this point but circumstances could change.)

Fleischgel
05-25-2015, 07:41 AM
I guess Bertram and all other champions are removed with Set 3 for new ones and with this change he will be less powerful. Of course still strong but maybe he drops (500?) in value.

Xenavire
05-25-2015, 07:48 AM
I guess Bertram and all other champions are removed with Set 3 for new ones and with this change he will be less powerful. Of course still strong but maybe he drops (500?) in value.

As far as I am aware, no champions will be removed yet. But that isn't the point - as always with new options, there will be a more efficient option somewhere that threatens Reese and lowers the usefulness. Will it end Reese's time in the meta? It depends. Probably not entirely, but just as Blood/Diamond fell out of favour, and Gorefeast later, Reese will likely follow suit.

Only time will tell how hard it is hit though.

Tachi_The_Lion
05-25-2015, 07:48 AM

WHAT? Aren't champion cumulative?

Xenavire
05-25-2015, 07:54 AM
WHAT? Aren't champion cumulative?

They will eventually retire. I do hope that there will be deckbuilding rulesets that preserve the old champs as losing them permanently would be a pretty big blow to extended formats.

nicosharp
05-25-2015, 08:13 AM
Individual card price speculation threads should probably be reserved for the Auction House and Trading Forums.
We all know Reese is good now. It's funny because the first 2-3 weeks of set2 release, a lot of folks thought it was garbage, and many sales were in the 300plat range.

Xenavire
05-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Individual card price speculation threads should probably be reserved for the Auction House and Trading Forums.
We all know Reese is good now. It's funny because the first 2-3 weeks of set2 release, a lot of folks thought it was garbage, and many sales were in the 300plat range.

People knew it was strong, but no-one could know that the meta would be just perfect to allow control/reese to be a powerhouse. I mean, I don't think there was a large amount of shock for most players that reese shot up, but I think they expected Monsuun to be the big hit instead.

wolzarg
05-25-2015, 08:57 AM
People knew it was strong, but no-one could know that the meta would be just perfect to allow control/reese to be a powerhouse. I mean, I don't think there was a large amount of shock for most players that reese shot up, but I think they expected Monsuun to be the big hit instead.
Everyone besides me who from day one keept telling people monsuun is not the meta defining card of the set.

Xenavire
05-25-2015, 09:10 AM
Everyone besides me who from day one keept telling people monsuun is not the meta defining card of the set.

Pfft, you aren't the only one who called Monsuun being less than amazing. From the start I was saying Sight was far better (and Havoc made a good show of proving me right.) I can't fathom why Monsuun is still in such high demand, because it doesn't have any more potential to shape the meta than Sight, Wrenlocke, etc.

Gwaer
05-25-2015, 09:27 AM
Just to be clear, xenavire doesn't know if set three will replace champions or add to them. It's possible Bertram is going away as you suggested, if that makes you want to sell your Reese then go for it. The price will 100% for certain drop in the short term, so unless you want to keep him for you or speculate his price might go up 6 months from now you probably won't get a better chance. In any event, the fact that he has a QA title doesn't give him any insight into potential changes like this so don't let him unduly influence your decisions.

wolzarg
05-25-2015, 09:30 AM
Basically if you could use the plat sell him as he is unlikely to go much higher any time soon but if you don't feel free to gamble and that's what it is. I personally sold all my angels based on a spoiler and then that card got changed. I still regret nothing as i had use for the plat but in the end i was out like 400p overall.

Xenavire
05-25-2015, 09:32 AM
Just to be clear, xenavire doesn't know if set three will replace champions or add to them. It's possible Bertram is going away as you suggested, if that makes you want to sell your Reese then go for it. The price will 100% for certain drop in the short term, so unless you want to keep him for you or speculate his price might go up 6 months from now you probably won't get a better chance. In any event, the fact that he has a QA title doesn't give him any insight into potential changes like this so don't let him unduly influence your decisions.

Well, if there are changes, I am not aware of them - either for adding or removing. :p

If my post implied otherwise, I should probably apologise, because anything could happen. It does seem unlikely though that we would lose all the set 1 champions right now, so that is the assumption I went with.

Lukezors
05-25-2015, 09:36 AM
My wild guess is that champs will remain valid in pvp for as long as they set they were introduced with are. Hopefully (and likely?) they will remain legal in pve forever.

Gwaer
05-25-2015, 09:38 AM
The curse of our titles saying things like we're not aware of changes might imply more than it would by an average user. I was just trying to clear up that you don't know any more or less about the Champions of set three than pretty much anyone else at this point. Don't want people feeling misled. Should the opposite be true. It's possible you were right. But it's just a coin flip. This is the first new block any of us have seen in hex. Literally anything could happen. Maybe next set hex is turning into a first person shooter. I don't know it isn't.

Kami
05-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Maybe next set hex is turning into a first person shooter. I don't know it isn't.

The Gwaer is confirming HEX is turning into a FPS! Hex-Life 3 confirmed!

(And yeah, too early to say what the value of cards will be until Set 3 is actually in play.)

KingGabriel
05-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Woops Double post.

KingGabriel
05-25-2015, 09:43 AM
There won't be as many dwarves/robots in set 3 due to the race focus changing.

The Gwaer is confirming HEX is turning into a FPS! Hex-Life 3 confirmed!

(And yeah, too early to say what the value of cards will be until Set 3 is actually in play.)

I used to make that joke constantly in alpha :D
I think it was funnier saying it was turning into a DDR clone featuring princess cory as the lead character.

Gwaer
05-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Hex-life: set 3 - the cardening; revenge of the trees

Xenavire
05-25-2015, 09:50 AM
The curse of our titles saying things like we're not aware of changes might imply more than it would by an average user. I was just trying to clear up that you don't know any more or less about the Champions of set three than pretty much anyone else at this point. Don't want people feeling misled. Should the opposite be true. It's possible you were right. But it's just a coin flip. This is the first new block any of us have seen in hex. Literally anything could happen. Maybe next set hex is turning into a first person shooter. I don't know it isn't.

Yeah, and I appreciate the consideration - I would hate to mislead people. I am just here to speculate, same as everyone else, and was making a safe assumption. If people want to trust my gut, they can, but lets call a spade a spade - I am in the same boat as everyone else.

israel.kendall
05-25-2015, 10:31 AM
Reese is about as high as he can get while set 2 is still in print. A little over 2k plat has been a rough ceiling for the highest valued Legendary cards. The only way I can see the card rising much is after we can no longer buy set 2, and then only if the card has competitive / casual appeal still.

I would also not count on a "guaranteed insane drop" in prices. Many players had fat stacks of set 1 cards when set 2 dropped and sold off the former for the latter. But I don't think there are as many spares of set 2 sitting around.

Mahes
05-25-2015, 10:39 AM
I would say that singles for set 1 and 2 will remain strong just because Drafts will no longer use packs from either set. It will be an interesting balancing act between the value of a pack which should drop, and the value of singles from the pack when less packs are being opened.

israel.kendall
05-25-2015, 10:41 AM
I would say that singles for set 1 and 2 will remain strong just because Drafts will no longer use packs from either set. It will be an interesting balancing act between the value of a pack which should drop, and the value of singles from the pack when less packs are being opened.

Cory said they were thinking of 2-2-1 draft alongside 3-3-3, so we don't know for sure if there will no longer be drafting with those packs or not.

Mahes
05-25-2015, 10:49 AM
They can think about it all they want, but I am almost certain that nobody would play a 2-2-1 draft over the 3-3-3 draft. Maybe after the set has been out for 3+ months but I would be shocked to see 2-2-1 drafts having enough people to fire and honestly would prefer not too split the population for it.

However I am not everyone. I do know that I will never touch another 2-2-1 draft again once another format is available. I would rather even do sealed over a 2-2-1 draft and I rarely do sealed.

israel.kendall
05-25-2015, 10:53 AM
They can think about it all they want, but I am almost certain that nobody would play a 2-2-1 draft over the 3-3-3 draft. Maybe after the set has been out for 3+ months but I would be shocked to see 2-2-1 drafts having enough people to fire and honestly would prefer not too split the population for it.

Yeah there are a lot of issues with it, so we might not see it. I think the reasoning for trying to continue 2-2-1 draft was because 1) they still want to get lots more set 1 and 2 cards into circulation, and 2) people still have stacks of set 1 they would like to draft with.

Xenavire
05-25-2015, 10:54 AM
Reese is about as high as he can get while set 2 is still in print. A little over 2k plat has been a rough ceiling for the highest valued Legendary cards. The only way I can see the card rising much is after we can no longer buy set 2, and then only if the card has competitive / casual appeal still.

I would also not count on a "guaranteed insane drop" in prices. Many players had fat stacks of set 1 cards when set 2 dropped and sold off the former for the latter. But I don't think there are as many spares of set 2 sitting around.

I was thinking less about spares and more about competitive players selling off sets they think the don't need. Reese may not be likely for that, but if enough cards go cheap, it could cause a chain reaction. I feel a crash is likely.

Would be interested if I turn out wrong, but only time will tell.

Mahes
05-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Yeah there are a lot of issues with it, so we might not see it. I think the reasoning for trying to continue 2-2-1 draft was because 1) they still want to get lots more set 1 and 2 cards into circulation, and 2) people still have stacks of set 1 they would like to draft with.

I have already sold a lot of my set 1 and 2 packs figuring that the Plat value was about as high as it was going to get. I wanted Plat for purchasing Set 3 packs so that I can draft with those when it releases.

israel.kendall
05-25-2015, 11:13 AM
I was thinking less about spares and more about competitive players selling off sets they think the don't need. Reese may not be likely for that, but if enough cards go cheap, it could cause a chain reaction. I feel a crash is likely.

Would be interested if I turn out wrong, but only time will tell.

I'm not saying it couldn't or won't happen, or that it doesn't make sense. I'm just saying it's not guaranteed. And competitive play is not the only driving factor for card prices, many people forget about the casual player who also drives card prices. While I'd say Reese's current price is mainly driven by the competitive meta, a card like Monsuun holds value mainly because of casual play IMO.

Lafoote
05-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Unless an expansion is released with swarms of really bad robots, Reese should remain a very powerful PvE card. I would expect his value to dip a bit whenever he rotates from constructed formats, but over the long haul, if Hex delivers the promise of PvE, and players buy it, he should maintain value.

Lowkey
05-25-2015, 05:53 PM
Alright guys, thanks a lot for your opinions! :D

I think I'm going to sell it for the highest price I could get in the next few days, I also think it wouldnt lose its value due to the PvE, like Lafoote said it will stay pretty much strong for PvE, as soon there comes more content, it would go back to 2k even when its dropped after Set 3.

But I dont think it will raise its value, and I might go even maybe another Deck and since I cant buy too much platinum, selling it would be the best decision :D

Thanks again!