PDA

View Full Version : Ruby elves!

f5shooter
05-29-2015, 01:55 PM
But I have to say that new champion power seems very poor.

Zophie
05-29-2015, 02:00 PM
https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Ashwood-Blademaster.png

I just gotta say, Ashwood Blademaster looks cool as hell. The colors used in the art are awesome and combined with the colors of the card border and rarity and text it all just clicks for me. Love it.

HitoZ
05-29-2015, 02:10 PM

The power still seems much better than the orc champion. At least you won't have to pay 2 life to draw a card.

Diesbudt
05-29-2015, 02:21 PM
I like that power. 1 turn quicker than The sapphire Champion. Do not lose life. And if you play the card you do not lose it, and if you dont play it as it isnt good or worth it, you just helped reduce deck by 1 card.

Koz
05-29-2015, 02:22 PM
What champion power? Where is that spoiled at?

Zophie
05-29-2015, 02:24 PM
What champion power? Where is that spoiled at?

https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Benvolio.png

Today's update on front page.

israel.kendall
05-29-2015, 02:43 PM

I like the champ power, card draw is very nice to have in Ruby and only at 4 charges as well. I don't think the drawback is very bad because you will know the highest cost cards in your deck, and will know your odds of being able to play the card before end of turn. But obviously not a champ to dual shard with ruby/sapphire, as you often want to hold cards in those style decks.

Saeijou
05-29-2015, 02:58 PM
i think it's perfekt for the charge deck :) more troops and with the lighning elemental you get charges in no time

Vorsa
05-29-2015, 03:05 PM
I like it - it is just about on par with Wyatt, but rather more important a power in mono-ruby (or ruby/anything but sapphire) because:

* Ruby has negligible card draw powers vs sapphire having a ton.
* Ruby has many more Speed troops than sapphire.
* The rate ruby spends cards + lack of viable expensive cards/counter & defense actions = very little won't be playable with 4 resources.

Yewstance
05-29-2015, 03:48 PM
Regarding the champion, I like it because of how it plays into existing charge-based deck, as Saeijou mentioned. Depending on your particular flavor of charge decks, particularly for Arena, then draw effects are perfect for assembling the winning attack swing or win conditions.

Bellows, Storm Cloud, Goremaster, Reactor Bot, Your mileage may very. In a deck that can consistently, easily, generate well over 10 charges in a game, the difference between a 4 charge power (Benvolio) and a 5 charge power (Wyatt) is significant, and the difference in at least one card often in a long game length, as well as getting those cards earlier, helping you survive or blow out the opponent with the right card synergies.

It's a more risky ability than Wyatt, but it's more powerful in a lot of decks to compensate. I find it interesting to note that two of the elements presented by ruby elves in set 3 are representative of relatively recent (within the past couple of years) design space in Red in Magic the Gathering, notably mana-elf-in-beater-form (see Hardened Berserker) as well as the "Temporary draw" idea (see Chandra Pyromaster and Outpost Siege).

poizonous
05-29-2015, 03:50 PM
I honestly see this being the Go To Champion in Limited when you are in Ruby

Malakili
05-29-2015, 03:58 PM
Yeah, very strong in limited where everything kind of durdles around. Likewise, R/X midrange decks are going to like this just to see more cards. This a superficially similar, but digitally made-over, mechanic to how red gets card draw in THAT OTHER GAME. But this actually has some more utility and interacts quite differently with the game.

I actually don't see this going into aggressive monored decks because the quality of any individual card in those decks isn't very high and a Blaze Elemental is probably just a better "draw" (and for one less charge) unless the build of those decks changes a lot.

Xenavire
05-29-2015, 04:10 PM
I see one flaw - bounce. That effect is permanent...

Otherwise it is strictly better for some decks than Wyatt or Kranok, or even Poca.

WolfCrypt
05-29-2015, 04:10 PM
>.> I didn't realize Ben was a champion.... *don't tell anybody* I want Meastro he's friggen awesome and I don't even like Ruby threshold decks! Can we make an entire musical theme for elves as a deck archtype? Please?!

Malakili
05-29-2015, 04:41 PM

This is a good point.

PureVapes
05-29-2015, 05:30 PM
It's a more risky ability than Wyatt, but it's more powerful in a lot of decks to compensate. I find it interesting to note that two of the elements presented by ruby elves in set 3 are representative of relatively recent (within the past couple of years) design space in Red in Magic the Gathering, notably mana-elf-in-beater-form (see Hardened Berserker) as well as the "Temporary draw" idea (see Chandra Pyromaster and Outpost Siege).

The downside can be almost entirely negated by proper deckbuilding and usage. Also, that design space was used before, but was not in a color at first and seemed difficult for them to balance - see Teferi's Puzzle Box, Grafted Skullcap, Memory Jar, Duplicity, Ideas Unbound.

Lafoote
05-29-2015, 06:55 PM
They do create a thread to talk about the announcement each week. No need to create another one each time. http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=43362

Also, Elves are going to be very, very fun!

Xenavire
05-29-2015, 07:19 PM
They do create a thread to talk about the announcement each week. No need to create another one each time. http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=43362

Also, Elves are going to be very, very fun!

More exposure here, which leads to more conversation. Besides, dedicated people post in both!

Zophie
05-29-2015, 07:22 PM
Yeah this has kind of become a ritual, thread pops up here as well as there. I don't mind

Besides, dedicated people post in both!

http://i.imgur.com/uu7EfyF.png :)

Drake6k
05-29-2015, 08:14 PM
If you ever want to get cards into your graveyard, the champions discard effect might be a benefit.
Also:

Yeah, but it could be useful sometimes. I think the discard effect makes the champion even more interesting.

Also, you could revert the card somehow so you don't have to discard it, I think.