PDA

View Full Version : Champions

WolfCrypt
05-30-2015, 05:00 AM
So do you think the Benlovio is the Elf deck champ? Maybe it'll be a multi shard champ? Also which race do you think will have the next champ released? I hope its coyotle and that its a boy XD.

BlackRoger
05-30-2015, 05:26 AM
Well, it's the best champ in ruby for any non-gorefeast/goremaster deck.
I can see the wild/ruby decks playing it.
wild midrange decks need ways to reload their hand, this seems like a decent way of doing it.

Xenavire
05-30-2015, 05:37 AM
I dunno if the new elf champ will be the basic one for the elf starter (it seems entirely possible, but I know we saw 2 new shin'hare champs in set 2, so this elf might only be one option) but it is a very good champ that will allow for interesting deckbuilding.

WolfCrypt
05-30-2015, 05:53 AM
I hope to see a diff elf champ Ben is ugly XD

Erukk
05-30-2015, 06:16 AM
Do we have any confirmation on how many Champs we're getting in this set? I'm wondering if they are going to go with only adding one for each shard, like they did with set2, or if they are going to be adding more since this is a new block. Time will only tell I guess.

Though, there are some really underrepresented races Champ-wise. Vennen only has Zared all by his lonesome. Elves are up to two with the newly revealed one. Necrotic, Dwarves and Orcs all have three. Coyote have four, and both the Shin'hare and Humans have a whooping five each.

Vennen definitely need some Champ love in this next set.

WolfCrypt
05-30-2015, 06:39 AM
Well I'm pretty sure they'll get at least two in this set not that I'm a Vennan goer their too disturbing... And Nercotic and Coyotle need champs for this set given this set is the intro to their play styles proper.

poizonous
05-30-2015, 06:46 AM
Im still calling the necrotic champ as 4 cost - gain a threshold of your choice matching a basic shard in your deck

Xenavire
05-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Im still calling the necrotic champ as 4 cost - gain a threshold of your choice matching a basic shard in your deck

While that would be a nice effect for finishing your thresholds, I doubt it would see much play (many other fixers). I do hope the devs manage to balance interesting and playable like the did with the bulk of set 1 and all of set 2 barring daughter (at least, most can be built around in interesting ways even if they aren't competitive.)

I mean, I still love Running Deer, despite it rarely seeing competitive play, it isn't OP but still feels important when you build well. I want more in that general area (although a little more power wouldn't be amiss.)

Lefto
05-30-2015, 08:20 AM
Do we have any confirmation on how many Champs we're getting in this set? I'm wondering if they are going to go with only adding one for each shard, like they did with set2, or if they are going to be adding more since this is a new block. Time will only tell I guess.

Though, there are some really underrepresented races Champ-wise. Vennen only has Zared all by his lonesome. Elves are up to two with the newly revealed one. Necrotic, Dwarves and Orcs all have three. Coyote have four, and both the Shin'hare and Humans have a whooping five each.

Vennen definitely need some Champ love in this next set.

Race of a champion is really irrelevant game-wise (so far at least) so I don't see any point in your argument.

Xenavire
05-30-2015, 08:23 AM
Race of a champion is really irrelevant game-wise (so far at least) so I don't see any point in your argument.

Except for starters.

Lefto
05-30-2015, 08:25 AM
So do you think the Benlovio is the Elf deck champ? Maybe it'll be a multi shard champ? Also which race do you think will have the next champ released? I hope its coyotle and that its a boy XD.

Benvolio is not a good champion imo. The drawback is way too restricting. We might just see some of him in limited though, in generic mono-ruby decks which aren't built around a specific race.

Lefto
05-30-2015, 08:27 AM
Except for starters.

Starters are irrelevant :p

Xenavire
05-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Benvolio is not a good champion imo. The drawback is way too restricting. We might just see some of him in limited though, in generic mono-ruby decks which aren't built around a specific race.

Actually, the elf has some serious power. Cheapest charge cost for a draw, with less of a direct drawback compared to Kranok, can be used in a reanimator deck, has protection in the event of a shard...

It is not a champ for control, but midrange will love it, because you pop him before you swing, play the card after, or use a different card (like a trick) and toss the extra card that did nothing. It is a tempo champ, just one you have to plan around.

Starters are irrelevant :p

To everyone except new players! They care, and the champs really should represent the decks.

Aradon
05-30-2015, 08:45 AM
I've of mixed minds about it for red. I'm still of the opinion that Poca is straight up more useful, I think. Mainly because the decks that can use the elf effectively will be playing lower-cost cards to make sure they can use the one they happen to draw. It'd be pretty awkward to activate the ability turn 4 and get a 5-drop, but pretty sweet to get an extra burn or ragefire. In burn decks like that, though, I think Poca would just be a stronger option.

I suppose, though, that you don't necessarily need to activate it turn 4. Could save it til you're out of cards before popping, in which case it could make a nice option for some sort of big red, I guess? It's hard for me to imagine the deck where you wouldn't prefer another champion. I'd like to see it at 3 charges instead, but we'll have to see how it pans out. Probably be decently strong in limited, if you can't manage to build a tribal deck for Giles.

Lefto
05-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Actually, the elf has some serious power. Cheapest charge cost for a draw, with more (I fixed that for you) of a direct drawback compared to Kranok, could be used in a reanimator deck (if there was ever such a thing esp. with ruby shard in it), has protection in the event of a shard (that doesn't even make sense)...

It is not a champ for control, but midrange will love it, because you pop him before you swing, play the card after, or use a different card (like a trick (what trick???) ) and toss the extra card that did nothing (so basically you spent 4 charges for nothing). It is a tempo champ, just one you have to plan around.

Ermm... how can you plan around only drawing things which you can play the turn you draw them? Only perhaps in mindless all-in aggro deck... or in mono-ruby limited which doesn't get to use the +1ATK champ.
All in all, that champ's ability in one big unreliable gamble. Pass.

Steelio
05-30-2015, 09:29 AM
It's not as bad as you think. We haven't seen the rest of set 3 yet, but with aggro-ramp being a thing, it will be more than possible to draw into and play high cost cards on turn 4. Which ain't too shabby. Ruby doesn't have a draw engine, so there's always that to consider.

Ermm... how can you plan around only drawing things which you can play the turn you draw them? Only perhaps in mindless all-in aggro deck... or in mono-ruby limited which doesn't get to use the +1ATK champ.

Xenavire
05-30-2015, 09:34 AM

Well, first of all, you can play midrange that has pretty much all 4-cost or under, or you can hold off a few turns to guarantee the right amount of resources are in play. Then you have things like Scraptech Brawler and the new resource elves. Add in the fact you might get stuck at 4, and dropping a card from the top is preferable to being screwed an extra turn...

Like I said, its about planning. And don't forget - we now have cards that allow you to see your top card, so you may have advance information on what you want to draw (or even toss).

Lefto
05-30-2015, 09:35 AM
It's not as bad as you think. We haven't seen the rest of set 3 yet, but with aggro-ramp being a thing, it will be more than possible to draw into and play high cost cards on turn 4. Which ain't too shabby. Ruby doesn't have a draw engine, so there's always that to consider.

Though I really doubt it, let's hope you are right and he isn't as bad as I think! :) more diversity in champions can only be a good thing.

Lefto
05-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Well, first of all, you can play midrange that has pretty much all 4-cost or under, or you can hold off a few turns to guarantee the right amount of resources are in play. Then you have things like Scraptech Brawler and the new resource elves. Add in the fact you might get stuck at 4, and dropping a card from the top is preferable to being screwed an extra turn...

Like I said, its about planning. And don't forget - we now have cards that allow you to see your top card, so you may have advance information on what you want to draw (or even toss).

You seem to miss my main point so let me explain. Drawing a card that you can play is VERY different from drawing a card you want to play, but with this champ's ability it becomes a card you have to play! If you can't appreciate the importance of such a distinction in competitive play, there is no point in arguing more about it :)

Erukk
05-30-2015, 10:19 AM

A large varied selection of champions and their races is relevant game-wise like the lore is relevant to the game. It helps towards world building and immersing the players in the game. There wouldn't be much point in them building up all the major races, and the conflict between the groups, if most of the champion selections boil to Humans versus Rabbits.

poizonous
05-30-2015, 10:20 AM
You seem to miss my main point so let me explain. Drawing a card that you can play is VERY different from drawing a card you want to play, but with this champ's ability it becomes a card you have to play! If you can't appreciate the importance of such a distinction in competitive play, there is no point in arguing more about it :)

If it is turn 4 and there are cards in your deck you DONT want to play, then you dont use this champion. Tons of decks would love the ability to get to draw and play any card in their deck on any specific turn. This champion is not supposed to be used in combo decks, Aggro decks and midrange decks would not mind being forced into playing what you draw, and hell if you draw something you dont want to play at least you save yourself from drawing it the following turn because odds are if you dont want to play it on turn 4, you dont want to play it turn 5

Mostly comes down to your deck though. If you build a deck, then you should not put cards in it you dont want to draw except for very few occasions

Xenavire
05-30-2015, 10:29 AM

Chances are in any aggro or midrange, if you draw a card on turn 4, the only reason you may not want to play it is because it is removal. I already have a few deck ideas that would work very well with this champ, and one or two existing decks that honestly would be greatly improved by it, discard or not.

I think it is a potential champ for meta decks, if not it will still be a great utility champ.

Lefto
05-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Well, I guess only time will tell whether this champion will be used in competitive constructed, but my money is that he won't :) but like I said in an earlier post, I wish I'm wrong about it.

wolzarg
05-30-2015, 03:51 PM
Don't worry you are.