PDA

View Full Version : Heros vs Villians

TanisFrey
06-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Recently we played a game with variant rules that my group of six players enjoyed.

Heroes vs Villains team event.

1) Mixed 3 kicks and 3 Weakness. Everyone selected one. Players with kick became heroes, Players with Weakness became Villains.
2) Randomly removed over-sized superheros until there were an equal number of over-sized superhero cards to over-sized villain cards.
3) Randomly pass out over-sized hero cards to the hero players and over-sized villain cards to villain players. everyone selects one over-sized card to play. The rest are discarded.
4) Randomly selected 11 super-villain nemesis cards. Randomly selected one of the starter nemesis cards, mixed all the other nemesis cards into one stack.
5) Played competitively as normal except Super-villain nemesis only attacked Super Hero players and Super Hero nemesis cards only attacked Super villain players.
6) Scores are calculated by players deck and then all the members on a team score are added together. Team with the most points wins.

We had lots of fun playing this. Many times while playing the normal rules it becomes apparent that the game will be between only a couple of players. This variation allows you to still have an effect even if you may not be in the running for the most points with your own deck.

andymo24
06-04-2015, 10:24 AM
In #4 I think you left out that you had both heroes and villains in the super stack. I would suggest to use the same number of heroes villains and a random starter to keep it even. Or maybe separate the villains and heroes into different stacks and only the oppositely aligned team can buy them. Sounds like a fun variant to team play, I'm interested to try it.

Perhaps the nemesis attacks could be skewed slightly to attack the opposite alignment only and also benefit its aligned team. Say if a super villain made the hero team destroy or discard some cards, the villain team could gain the destroyed cards (or put them in a separate lineup for the villain team only) or draw, or choose whether or not they want to be attacked as well.

gerrymul
06-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Which base set did you use? Or did you mash together Forever Evil with another?

TanisFrey
06-04-2015, 06:54 PM
In #4 I think you left out that you had both heroes and villains in the super stack. I would suggest to use the same number of heroes villains and a random starter to keep it even. Or maybe separate the villains and heroes into different stacks and only the oppositely aligned team can buy them. Sounds like a fun variant to team play, I'm interested to try it.

Perhaps the nemesis attacks could be skewed slightly to attack the opposite alignment only and also benefit its aligned team. Say if a super villain made the hero team destroy or discard some cards, the villain team could gain the destroyed cards (or put them in a separate lineup for the villain team only) or draw, or choose whether or not they want to be attacked as well.

We had a total of 24 nemesis cards, 12 heroes, 12 villains. We selected one of the starter than had it opposite counterpart be the second. The other 22 nemesis cards were mixed together.

In the game we randomly selected the base set Vandal Savage for the starter, Flash became the second card in the nemesis stack. The other 22 were mixed.

Anyone could take any Nemesis card with the normal cost limits and we restrict "Going on Patrol" to 1 per player turn.

Which base set did you use? Or did you mash together Forever Evil with another?

We had Base, Heroes United, Forever Evil and JSA. The main line-up cards were mixed and we removed random cards until we were left with about 1 of the base set plus JAS total cards.

TanisFrey
06-07-2015, 07:45 PM
Having played this variant several times one important lesson stands out. Unused starter nemesis cards do not get mixed in with the possible super villains for the heroes to face. There needs to be a balance of possible first appearance attacks for the two teams.