PDA

View Full Version : Chests (again)

magic_gazz
06-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Not the first topic on chests, but I got bored and decided to do some counting.

I have quite a lot of chests and was wondering how much I had spent on spinning them and how much I needed if I wanted to spin the rest.

I counted each spun chest I had as the cost at that rarity. Im not sure how close this give to accurate as you can sometimes spin multiple times on a chest or you can get double upgrades.

Using that logic I have spent 5,562,700 gold on spinning chests. Using the same system to see how much I need to spin each unspun chest just once I got 2,615,900.

It was then I made the mistake of thinking about these numbers. That much gold exchanged to platinum at the rate of 100:1 (this seems reasonable in the current market) would be 55,627 platinum spent on rolling chests, that's $556 if you bought it from the store. This also means I would need another $261 worth to spin the remaining chests.

I wonder if spinning chests can ever be worth it at that price. I have so many common chests the value of their contents has to be close to 0, this is probably true for the uncommon ones too. This means the high level chests would have to be worth a ton to make spinning chests worth while or the value of gold needs to come down by a huge margin.

AdamAoE2
06-03-2015, 03:33 PM
I wonder if Stardust is something that we can expect to get in chests occasionally. If so, then the chests will likely be worth it.

nicosharp
06-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Did you even consider re-rolls in your math?
Gold is worth $0. The perspective that it is worth something is putting value on your time, not on gold.

(not entirely true of course, just being philosophical)

Diesbudt
06-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Did you count chests that upgraded without a reroll as their former lower chest amount?

Stok3d
06-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Below is some feedback on legendary chests that you find helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zcdRtYvTfM

Stok3d
06-03-2015, 04:02 PM
More to assist with for numbers on primals. A great thread to also help extrapolate further data is the lengthy thread Beta Wheels Of Fate spin results! (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34986)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1S8iUwiXnU

ossuary
06-03-2015, 04:02 PM
It's important to remember that since it costs gold to roll chests, the contents of the higher level chests will always be tied to the value of gold - that's the beauty of the system. If CZE strives to reach some form of stability for the gold price (in aggregate, not at any given moment... there will always be fluctuations!), which they seem to be making an effort to do, then the contents of the chests should have a fairly stable value as well.

Since the value of chests can be directly tied to the average cost to upgrade a chest to that level (or a combination of cost vs. chance to open naturally based on rarity), the value of the contents will be scaled equivalently. If it costs 1400 gold on average to generate an uncommon chest, the contents of that chest on average will be worth at least 1400 gold more than the contents of a common chest - otherwise, people wouldn't sell the contents but rather hold onto them, since they're not worth enough to justify selling (again, we're talking about the player population as a whole on average here, individual players may still sell stuff even though it's at a loss).

By definition, since both the chests and contents are tied to the same currency, it will always be worth your while to upgrade chests, because what you end up with, on average, will be of equal or greater value than the amount it costs you to produce it.

TOOT
06-03-2015, 04:07 PM
"This means the high level chests would have to be worth a ton to make spinning chests worth while or the value of gold needs to come down by a huge margin."

No, it just means spinning chests likely won't be worth it to/for you.

Chests don't have to be rolled. Some other people aren't going to give a rats ass about stardust/AA's or whatever other options there are. From a strictly value standpoint, selling gold for plat will likely always be the best choice.

magic_gazz
06-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Did you even consider re-rolls in your math?
Gold is worth $0. The perspective that it is worth something is putting value on your time, not on gold.

(not entirely true of course, just being philosophical)

No as there is no way to know how many rerolls I did.

While it is technically true that gold is worth $0, people are buying it for platinum, so in theory if I had held the gold until this week I could have made over $500 by selling it.

Did you count chests that upgraded without a reroll as their former lower chest amount?

No. Also impossible to tell.

I feel as if I have had more rerolls than upgrades, so my numbers are probably on the low side.

Below is some feedback on legendary chests that you find helpful:

More to assist with for numbers on primals. A great thread to also help extrapolate further data is the lengthy thread Beta Wheels Of Fate spin results! (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34986)

Cliffs on the videos? Just looks like a lot of chest spinning.

It seems like he spent 7.5 million gold to get 25 primals. I have 23, so it seems my numbers probably close or lower than what I spent.

It's important to remember that since it costs gold to roll chests, the contents of the higher level chests will always be tied to the value of gold - that's the beauty of the system. If CZE strives to reach some form of stability for the gold price (in aggregate, not at any given moment... there will always be fluctuations!), which they seem to be making an effort to do, then the contents of the chests should have a fairly stable value as well.

Since the value of chests can be directly tied to the average cost to upgrade a chest to that level (or a combination of cost vs. chance to open naturally based on rarity), the value of the contents will be scaled equivalently. If it costs 1400 gold on average to generate an uncommon chest, the contents of that chest on average will be worth at least 1400 gold more than the contents of a common chest - otherwise, people wouldn't sell the contents but rather hold onto them, since they're not worth enough to justify selling (again, we're talking about the player population as a whole on average here, individual players may still sell stuff even though it's at a loss).

By definition, since both the chests and contents are tied to the same currency, it will always be worth your while to upgrade chests, because what you end up with, on average, will be of equal or greater value than the amount it costs you to produce it.

That seems to be the theory, but I wonder if that will really work like that.

I would guess most people have a lot of common chests so will never buy their contents, probably the same with uncommons too. That would mean the rare chests have to be worth a lot more to cover all the common and uncommon spins it took to get them.

Obviously I will be stoked if it does end up working out as I will make out like a bandit lol

nicosharp
06-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Obviously I will be stoked if it does end up working out as I will make out like a bandit lol
Well, I don't think you will ever be "stoked", but you can obviously quote him :)

Yoss
06-03-2015, 04:24 PM
I would double your numbers, since the fail rate is roughly 50% on spins.

israel.kendall
06-03-2015, 04:26 PM
I would argue that the value of chest contents will not be tied to gold. You can buy Death Cap on the AH (in gold) for half the cost of a single common chest spin. The chest contents will be valued based on supply/demand IMO.

wolzarg
06-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Only a minimum of 3.2m spun for me.
Opening is going to be glorious!

spankydonkey
06-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Do we know for sure if chest opening will be coming with set 3?

Xenavire
06-03-2015, 04:41 PM

Not 100%, but last official word says yes and nothing has changed... Be pessimistic just to be sure, but it is looking fairly likely overall.

magic_gazz
06-03-2015, 05:35 PM

If it is not they should have already said it will not be.

Last thing you want is a massive let down the same time as a set release.

It was supposed to be coming with set 2, so I would have expected them to have worked out the kinks by now.

Axle
06-03-2015, 05:42 PM
If it is not they should have already said it will not be.

Last thing you want is a massive let down the same time as a set release.

It was supposed to be coming with set 2, so I would have expected them to have worked out the kinks by now.

Well they said Chests won't make arena release on the exact same day it came out. This could also happen set 3. The only official word is "Future Feature Patch" from here: https://www.hextcg.com/frost-ring-arena-patch-overview/

Sparrow
06-03-2015, 05:50 PM
I thought I remember reading that chests would come in the first patch post set 3, but it's possible I'm confusing that with another projected feature. Or it could just be misinformation that someone shared.

Mejis
06-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Not 100%, but last official word says yes and nothing has changed... Be pessimistic just to be sure, but it is looking fairly likely overall.

Where was said official word that they're coming with Set 3? I don't recall that.

Phenteo
06-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Where was said official word that they're coming with Set 3? I don't recall that.

The only official word on chests is that we're working on the feature. :)

magic_gazz
06-03-2015, 06:28 PM

Look I will be nice but........

GIVE. ME. CHEST. OPPENING.

pretty please.

Fyren
06-03-2015, 06:28 PM

Honestly, it was speculation, as far as I can tell: It was linked to the idea that when the AA commons were removed, a new sink would come to replace them - Chest opening would certainly do that.

That speculation predates the 10Kiloboners speech and the reveal of EAs. Though I'd likely show more Kb for chests than EAs.

Xenavire
06-03-2015, 06:33 PM

Cory mentioned it in a stream that that was the target (or more specifically, he made a comment to the effect of 'him loving it if it would happen'). With no official word to say the plan has changed, its the safe assumption, nothing more. Hence why I said be pessimistic... And it isn't the first time I have told people to doubt, just in case. Lets not read too deeply into my words, since I only speak from public knowledge.

RCDv57
06-03-2015, 07:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/i4Qubdk.jpg

Flairina
06-03-2015, 07:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/i4qubdk.jpg

EAT AN ENTIRE CHEST

Just SHOVE the whole thing in

We are THAT desperate, apparently

RCDv57
06-03-2015, 07:44 PM
EAT AN ENTIRE CHEST

Just shove the whole thing in

we are that desperate apparently

The splinters are my favorite part.

ossuary
06-03-2015, 07:46 PM

Opening Chests: you're doing it wrong.

Chadatog
06-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Cory mentioned it in a stream that that was the target (or more specifically, he made a comment to the effect of 'him loving it if it would happen'). With no official word to say the plan has changed, its the safe assumption, nothing more. Hence why I said be pessimistic... And it isn't the first time I have told people to doubt, just in case. Lets not read too deeply into my words, since I only speak from public knowledge.

It was episode 50 of 2 Turns Ahead

22:10 "I know that with set 3 the plan, right now, is also the chests and chest opening are a part of that."

This was just as we were getting the news that the feature was not going to make it into the arena patch back in March.

Parzival
06-03-2015, 08:13 PM
With Cory's now trademark careful sentences, he's not committing to anything (as he shouldn't) just saying that was the plan....

Phenteo's official denial of Area 52 just tells us that they are still working on it (which is good)

So it's still the plan but they haven't nailed the feature down.

Xenavire
06-03-2015, 08:14 PM
It was episode 50 of 2 Turns Ahead

22:10 "I know that with set 3 the plan, right now, is also the chests and chest opening are a part of that."

This was just as we were getting the news that the feature was not going to make it into the arena patch back in March.

Ah, thanks. Between then and Phenteo's last post, I don't think we had heard anything else.

Mejis
06-03-2015, 09:06 PM

Cool, thanks for the official word :)

RCDv57
06-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Cool, thanks for the official word :)

The official word leads me to believe its going to be awhile

israel.kendall
06-03-2015, 09:37 PM
The official word leads me to believe they are going to spring it on us as a surprise at Zophies unbirthday party.

RCDv57
06-03-2015, 09:42 PM
The official word leads me to believe they are going to spring it on us as a surprise at Zophies unbirthday party.

Zophie has a birthday!?
That seems awfully... human.

Zophie
06-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Zophie has a birthday!?
That seems awfully... human.

http://i.imgur.com/5olt6ng.gif

ossuary
06-04-2015, 04:05 AM
Did someone say birthday (yes I know it's not actually Zophie's birthday yet)? :)

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/filestorage/30-40-50-60-thirties-forties-fifties-old-birthday-ecard.png

wolzarg
06-04-2015, 04:39 AM
Now make one with the guy eating him self preferably both the same size!

Koz
06-04-2015, 06:20 AM
Quick question about spinning chests. If I spin a chest and get a reward, like say a Mercenary, do I get to keep that if I spin the chest again? Or do I lose that reward and am stuck with whatever the most current roll is on that chest?

YourOpponent
06-04-2015, 06:29 AM
Quick question about spinning chests. If I spin a chest and get a reward, like say a Mercenary, do I get to keep that if I spin the chest again? Or do I lose that reward and am stuck with whatever the most current roll is on that chest?

You keep the rewards you get from spinning chests and you keep the rewards you get from opening chests. Unless of course you sell or trade the rewards or end up losing those rewards due to bug abuse. In which case you keep the ban you get from how you illegitimately spun the chests and you keep the ban you get from opening the chests.

Koz
06-04-2015, 06:35 AM
You keep the rewards you get from spinning chests and you keep the rewards you get from opening chests. Unless of course you sell or trade the rewards or end up losing those rewards due to bug abuse. In which case you keep the ban you get from how you illegitimately spun the chests and you keep the ban you get from opening the chests.

Although I have no idea what you are talking about regarding bug abuse, thanks for the rest of the answer. I wasn't sure how it worked and I've only spun a chest twice. Being a newer player I don't have millions of gold to spend on spinning chests lol...

incitfulmonk21
06-04-2015, 06:53 AM
Although I have no idea what you are talking about regarding bug abuse, thanks for the rest of the answer. I wasn't sure how it worked and I've only spun a chest twice. Being a newer player I don't have millions of gold to spend on spinning chests lol...

Hehe yeah spinning the chest is a bonus and you keep all bonus loot from spinning and all loot from opening.

wolzarg
06-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Hehe yeah spinning the chest is a bonus and you keep all bonus loot from spinning and all loot from opening.

Unless you do as in the above example and eat the chest then all you get is a stomach ache!

ossuary
06-04-2015, 10:22 AM
The stomach ache is just the start of your problems. Those rivets hurt the whole way through. :p

RCDv57
06-04-2015, 05:03 PM
And you'll have splinters in your gut for yeeeaaars

Zophie
06-04-2015, 05:08 PM
And you'll have splinters in your gut for yeeeaaars

The gift that keeps on giving!