PDA

View Full Version : Rare-spawn PvE encounters (Uruunaz) idea

Lefto
06-04-2015, 02:13 AM
Since the encounter is so rare, and since the A.I can't live up to Uruunaz's name...
why not have human players representing Uruunaz in the Arena? This could be a glimpse of what the PvP Raid Boss feature will be in the future and can also apply to all future Rare-spawn encounters in HEX.

Who will get to play Uruunaz you ask? It could be either some HEX ent. employee or better yet any accomplished players from the game itself. The way I have imagined it is that when said player would log-in to play Uruunaz, a server-wide message would be broadcast saying something like "The dragon is awake" (insane arena hype) and then players would know they have a chance to find Uruunaz in the Arena. Upon log-out another message would be broadcast saying "The dragon has returned to his slumber". There could also be another message broadcast when someone manages to beat Uruunaz like "All hail Omnipotence the dragon-slayer!"

What do you guys think?

Gwaer
06-04-2015, 02:23 AM
I was big fan of the short lived Everquest test where people got to run around as monsters and wreck players, so on one level I like the idea... On every other level I do not, I feel like it totally misses the point, PVE players largely want to play PVE, not PVP with one guy that has op cards he can't access, plus it's highly abusable since you can't guarantee the person being urunaz is play to the best of their ability. =\ seems mostly unworkable.

Salverus
06-04-2015, 02:31 AM
player taking control of uruunanz;
"hey, i let you win, you give me half the reward, k?"

Lefto
06-04-2015, 02:34 AM
PVE players largely want to play PVE, not PVP with one guy that has op cards he can't access,
plus it's highly abusable since you can't guarantee the person being urunaz is play to the best of their ability. =\ seems mostly unworkable.

What you say makes no sense. There is no such thing as a "PVE player" or "PVP player". When you play the arena, you play the arena and that's that. Who is behind the decision making is completely irrelevant. Unless you wanted to say that people enjoy playing against a bad A.I because otherwise they would have a much smaller chance to win.
Also I don't see how it would be abusable like you say. The player representing Uruunaz would be selected by HEX ent. and they would either be paid to do it or enjoy other benefits in a way it would give them incentive to play as best they can.

Lefto
06-04-2015, 02:36 AM
player taking control of uruunanz;
"hey, i let you win, you give me half the reward, k?"

Dragons don't like to share their wealth!

Khazrakh
06-04-2015, 03:48 AM
What you say makes no sense. There is no such thing as a "PVE player" or "PVP player". When you play the arena, you play the arena and that's that. Who is behind the decision making is completely irrelevant.

That might be your opinion, but that doesn't make it a fact for everybody else.
I play both PvP and PvE and it makes a hell of a difference what I'm playing. I'm a lot more relaxed when playing PvE and I enjoy being able to stand up and sit down again whenever I feel like. To me it's very relevant who's behind the decision making and I really don't want to fight another player when just chilling in the Arena.
There might be a "be a raid boss"-system somewhere down the road, but having some sort of PvP implemented into the only PvE we have so far would be a terrible idea.

Lefto
06-04-2015, 03:58 AM
That might be your opinion, but that doesn't make it a fact for everybody else.
I play both PvP and PvE and it makes a hell of a difference what I'm playing. I'm a lot more relaxed when playing PvE and I enjoy being able to stand up and sit down again whenever I feel like. To me it's very relevant who's behind the decision making and I really don't want to fight another player when just chilling in the Arena.
There might be a "be a raid boss"-system somewhere down the road, but having some sort of PvP implemented into the only PvE we have so far would be a terrible idea.

So basically you are trying to tell me that if you get lucky enough and you manage to find Uruunaz you will still be relaxed when you play against him? Because I'm pretty sure that's not how most of the playerbase feels about that specific encounter :)
Unless of course you are part of what I wrote in the sentence after the one you quoted. I guess it all comes down to whether you are here to play the game or just gather as much loot as possible without a challenge...

Gwaer
06-04-2015, 04:03 AM
Some people have genuine anxiety when playing against real people on top of whatever anxiety they may have during a rare encounter. It's been discussed on the forums a few times, and playing against real people is not the point of PVE. It's an interesting idea, but it will not work in this situation for quite a lot of reasons. Implementing a live match inside arena is not a trivial task. They should use that time to work on the AI instead of a stopgap that'll be made obsolete and in effect wasted development time.

Your insulting attitude toward people who want an actual PVE encounter in the PVE side of the game is also definitely not helpful.

Khazrakh
06-04-2015, 04:07 AM
So basically you are trying to tell me that if you get lucky enough and you manage to find Uruunaz you will still be relaxed when you play against him? Because I'm pretty sure that's not how most of the playerbase feels about that specific encounter :)
Unless of course you are part of what I wrote in the sentence after the one you quoted. I guess it all comes down to whether you are here to play the game or just gather as much loot as possible without a challenge...

I'm not sure how to respond to that.
It all comes down to the following:

It seems to you there is no difference between playing the AI and playing another player.
That's fine, but well, guess what - to a lot of players out there that's a huge difference.
When I play PvE I want to play the AI. And no, I don't want it to be stupid, I want it to be Skynet one day...

If you can't or don't want to understand that simple fact we won't get anywhere discussing the matter any further.

That's not saying that I don't want to ever see a "PvEpbP", but I don't want the only PvE option we have turned into it.

Erukk
06-04-2015, 04:09 AM
It's a good idea in theory, but it would be really hard to make work in practice. Everyone would pile into the Arena when that challenge went up, but still only a small fraction of those players would actually be able to fight against the player controlled Uruunaz. Say a match against him lasts for 15-20mins each, that's means there would only be 3 to 4 matches in an hour max from the large amount of players doing the Arena at that time just to fight him.

Though, I would love to see some players have the chance to up go against Cory personally in a special supped up Princess Cory encounter. Maybe him using his own specially crafted deck that abuses Princess Cory's mechanics to hell and back.

Cory: ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL!

wolzarg
06-04-2015, 04:37 AM
Definitely not a very good idea for this specifically but i can see it being cool for a later thing. Like a single encounter where you know you will play a hex employe or specifically selected "helper gnomes" picked by cory and the guys. The deck is set so they don't build their own deck and then people can que and play against them.

This could serve as functional testing for the you control the boss system before that is fully implemented and the rewards should be interesting instead of looty. This makes it so that if someone putts up a good fight but keeps having bad luck i can at some point just summon my inner cory and let them win without it having a actual market impact.

Lefto
06-04-2015, 05:26 AM
Some people have genuine anxiety when playing against real people on top of whatever anxiety they may have during a rare encounter. It's been discussed on the forums a few times, and playing against real people is not the point of PVE. It's an interesting idea, but it will not work in this situation for quite a lot of reasons. Implementing a live match inside arena is not a trivial task. They should use that time to work on the AI instead of a stopgap that'll be made obsolete and in effect wasted development time.

Your insulting attitude toward people who want an actual PVE encounter in the PVE side of the game is also definitely not helpful.

Yeah, I didn't mean to insult people and for that I have to apologize. However, I guess I have underestimated the anxiety it might cause to some people to actually play against a living brain instead of a mechanical one. Though I still believe that only a really tiny portion of the population wouldn't be able to overcome it and it would ruin their play-experience :)
Also the AI will never be able to play the current Uruunaz deck (or any other complex deck) as well as a human player and that's why I made such a suggestion :(
In fact adding such a ruling (that rare and complicated encounters be played by humans) would make the "PvE" experience much more interesting and would allow for "PvE" to have some interesting decks/encounters and as such it is not a meaningless endeavor, far from it actually!

Tazelbain
06-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Have streamers play Uru and steam it on the official channel.

Anyway it to programing cycles to create something like and that's not something CZE has spare.

But i think this could lead in to an interesting topic of PvP dungeons. Imagine a dungeon that after you beat it, you get to queue up play as the NPC as long as you remain undefeated. More PCs you kill, the better the prizes. That would be one hard ass dungeon.

Svenn
06-04-2015, 07:34 AM
This could be a glimpse of what the PvP Raid Boss feature will be in the future and can also apply to all future Rare-spawn encounters in HEX.

...what PvP Raid Boss feature?

Also, not a fan of this idea as it is.

magic_gazz
06-04-2015, 01:06 PM
I thought PvE was more about interesting encounters than playing non humans. Guess I was wrong.

I think the idea is pretty cool and to the person who said you would probably only get 4 people to play him in an hour, that's a ton more than at the moment.

Its definitely something to consider for the future, especially Tazelbain's take on it.

firedancer27
06-04-2015, 02:35 PM
I think the idea is better as its own 3rd style of play. A quasi PvP/E. If I specifically play pve I don't want to play a person. Not so much for the anxiety but I don't want to wait for my opponent to make moves and I want to be free to go AFK as I please. I would want the option to not be put into these games if I am playing PvE.