PDA

View Full Version : Is Ruby the wrong shape?

Spiredore
06-05-2015, 06:50 AM
You know how sometimes you notice a tiny, inconsequential thing and then it won't stop bugging you?

We're all familiar with the threshold cost symbols by now. The droplet for Blood, the leaf for Wild, the cut-gemstone for Diamond, the classic-style diamond for Sapphire and the circle for Ruby. These are echoed on the simple shard cards ... the droplet, the leaf, the cut gemstone, the classic diamond, and either a disc or a sphere for ruby. It's a little difficult to tell.

Of course they're the same in the threshold icons on the left side of the playfield too. Lovingly rendered in rotating 3D are the droplet, the leaf, the cut gemstone, the classic diamond and ... wait ... the cube?

Maybe a sphere just wasn't interesting enough with the rotation effect applied. Maybe I'm just completely misreading the shape ... or maybe this is a nefarious plot of the Void Society, swiping our spherical rubies for their mysterious cause and replacing them with the cuboid 'I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Ruby'.

Void people. You just can't trust them ...

Turtlewing
06-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Ruby Diamond and Saphire are each different cuts of gemstones.

plaguedealer
06-05-2015, 07:00 AM
I actually thought about this too when I saw the ruby gem. I am not a goldsmith, but when I think of a ruby I think of a circular gem. When I think of a emerald, I think of a square gem. When I think of a diamond, I think of a triangular gem.

Spiredore
06-05-2015, 07:31 AM
Sorry, maybe I was unclear.

I'm not so concerned (Though concerned would be a strong way to put it. It's a thing I noticed.) as to whether the ruby shape is viable as a genuine cut of gemstone, just that all the other shards are consistent in their cost symbol, shard picture, and in-play icon while the ruby seems to have brought in a substitute shape for the arena that doesn't match the way it's depicted on cards.

Jemy000
06-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Agreed Spiredore, it has always bugged me.