PDA

View Full Version : GIVEAWAY - HEX's 2nd Birthday - Crazy Highlands Blackbelt Combos

Pages : [1] 2

hex_colin
06-05-2015, 10:09 PM
OK, finally decided on what I want to do as a giveaway...

Crazy Highlands Blackbelt Combos

1. Using any cards and champions (and equipment for the PVE category; except as noted in (7) below) we know about from Sets 1-3, work out the maximum damage you could theoretically do to the opposing champion with Highlands Blackbelt (directly or indirectly) on Turn 1, Turn 2, Turn 3 and Turn 4.

The only card you must use is Highlands Blackbelt
You can assume your opponent doesn't have any blockers and/or removal
You do not have to provide a complete decklist, but abide by all deckbuilding rules for the category you enter in
You can choose your draws each turn with the exception that you cannot assume that if you draw any other cards on a turn that you'll get your zero cost Wild Growth back
Your deck is 60 cards unless you're specifically using Jankbot in your solution
Assume you are playing first
Make your entry as specific and as self-contained as possible - I do not have encyclopedic knowledge of every piece of equipment, new champion powers, etc. ;)

2. Send me an email at giveaway(at)ratedhex.com with your Turn 1, 2, 3, and 4 plays and the expected damage. Make sure you tell me your IGN and forum name.

3. Post in this thread that you've sent me an entry (but do not post your entry here!)

4. You can submit entries for one or both of 2 categories: PVP and/or PVE

5. I'll provide prizes to multiple winners in both the PVE and PVP categories. Maximum theoretical damage will definitely take a prize (to the first person submitting the maximum damage entry in each category), but so will cool combos that use interesting/unusual cards/champions. I'll also select winners in each Dual Threshold combo (RD, RS, RW, RB), and from any Tri Threshold entries.

6. You have until 11.59pm PDT on June 12th, 2015 to enter

7. Banned Cards: Replicator's Gambit

8. I will check potential winning entries for accuracy. Depending on how many entries I get, I may not communicate your error to you if you've made a mistake. Make sure you check your work! ;)

9. I'll edit this post and add updated rules as people ask questions/get clarification, etc.

Prizes: there are hundreds of Set 1 and Set 2 packs, 10's of draft tickets, and multiple Jadiim and Buccaneer sleeves on the line.

Get thinking! :)

Potential Winners

PVP - Maximum Damage
PVE - Maximum Damage
PVP - R - Maximum Damage
PVE - R - Maximum Damage
PVP - R - Style
PVE - R - Style
PVP - RD - Maximum Damage
PVE - RD - Maximum Damage
PVP - RD - Style
PVE - RD - Style
PVP - RS - Maximum Damage
PVE - RS - Maximum Damage
PVP - RS - Style
PVE - RS - Style
PVP - RW - Maximum Damage
PVE - RW - Maximum Damage
PVP - RW - Style
PVE - RW - Style
PVP - RB - Maximum Damage
PVE - RB - Maximum Damage
PVP - RB - Style
PVE - RB - Style
PVP - XXX - Maximum Damage
PVE - XXX - Maximum Damage
PVP - XXX - Style
PVE - XXX - Style

https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Highlands-Blackbelt.png

Additional Rules Clarifications

If you get to choose the cards (e.g. the passive that makes 4 copies of a chosen troop), you can draw them as part of your solution. If it's RANDOM (like Avenging Angel) you CANNOT assume you'll get free versions of the cards you want. Yes, I just made playing against the Angel pointless.
Your opponent can do nothing to stop you
For PVE you can choose your opponent but can only assume the use of their PASSIVE. You cannot, however, assume that any random PVE champion power will resolve in your favor. In fact, assume it always gives you the worst result.
Yes, you can use any PVE cards currently available for player use in the Production client.

neruwind
06-05-2015, 10:41 PM
This is going to be a fun competition! Thanks~

Xavon
06-05-2015, 10:46 PM
I assume, but want to verify, no Spectral Lotus, right, as it is unreleased?

Kilo24
06-05-2015, 10:47 PM
Several questions:

You are specifically interested in the sum of damage dealt by Highlands Blackbelt on turns 3 and 4, correct? You're not looking for a a separate winner for turns 3 and 4? You also do not care about any damage that we can manage on earlier turns?

What other assumptions can we make about our opponent? The lack of blockers, yes, but what about other cards they play? Are they doing things that we have control over, or are they just a goldfish? Can we choose a PVE arena champion to fight against?

Are PVE-specific cards allowed? They're technically not sets 1-3.

KingGabriel
06-05-2015, 10:48 PM
Entered, hopefully I put enough highlands magus's in. :P

hex_colin
06-05-2015, 10:48 PM
I assume, but want to verify, no Spectral Lotus, right, as it is unreleased?

Yes, no Spectral Lotus. Set 1 and Set 2 as released, any PVE cards in the client currently, and any Set 3 cards we've seen spoilers for.

hex_colin
06-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Several questions:

You are specifically interested in the sum of damage dealt by Highlands Blackbelt on turns 3 and 4, correct? You're not looking for a a separate winner for turns 3 and 4? You also do not care about any damage that we can manage on earlier turns?

What other assumptions can we make about our opponent? The lack of blockers, yes, but what about other cards they play? Are they doing things that we have control over, or are they just a goldfish? Can we choose a PVE arena champion to fight against?

Are PVE-specific cards allowed? They're technically not sets 1-3.

Updated to include Turn 2, Turn 3, and Turn 4. I'd like individual values for each turn (for ease of checking), but will only be considering the total for Maximum Damage prizes.

Your opponent can do nothing to stop you. And, yes, for PVE you can choose your opponent but can only assume the use of their PASSIVE. You cannot, however, assume that any random PVE champion power will resolve in your favor. In fact, assume it always gives you the worst result. ;)

Yes, you can use any PVE cards currently available for player use in the Production client.

Kilo24
06-05-2015, 10:56 PM
Are we counting damage from a single Highlands Blackbelt, or from all Highlands Blackbelts? If we transform another card into a Blackbelt and then do damage with it, does the damage from still count? What about vice versa?

hex_colin
06-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Are we counting damage from a single Highlands Blackbelt, or from all Highlands Blackbelts? If we transform another card into a Blackbelt and then do damage with it, does the damage from still count? What about vice versa?

As many Blackbelts as you can legally put in your deck and get into play (without using Gambit), but they have to be Blackbelts when they do the damage for it to count.

Kilo24
06-05-2015, 11:05 PM
Are PVE bonuses from challenges permitted on bosses (like +0/1 resource or +2 charges), or are challenges (like Cerebral Fulmination)?

If a Ruby-only setup does more damage than, say, a Ruby-Wild setup, will it win the Ruby/Wild category too? Or are we required to use those cards somehow?

hex_colin
06-05-2015, 11:10 PM
Are PVE bonuses from challenges permitted on bosses (like +0/1 resource or +2 charges), or are challenges (like Cerebral Fulmination)?

If a Ruby-only setup does more damage than, say, a Ruby-Wild setup, will it win the Ruby/Wild category too? Or are we required to use those cards somehow?

No. And, no - must use R and W cards to win the RW category.

Gwaer
06-05-2015, 11:20 PM
When you say can only use cards we know about, do you mean we as in you and I? =P

Naldek
06-05-2015, 11:22 PM
I also have a few questions :

1) Do we get to manipulate random ? Example : I play Cosmic Transmogrifier, can I choose the cards that are created ?
2) If we play Mastery of Time on Turn 4, do we have two turn 4 or is our next turn 'turn 5' ?
3) Do we get challenges in the arena ?
4) If we do fatal damage on turn 3, can we still play our turn 4 ?
5) Can we submit as many entries as we want ?
6) If we are using a currently bugged card, do we play it with or without the bug ?

Xavon
06-05-2015, 11:41 PM
Entry incoming

Xavon
06-05-2015, 11:44 PM
Question (too late for me, but oh well); can we assume that the opponent has X-1 health, where X is the total health damage dealt? Because otherwise might not make it to turn four...

poizonous
06-05-2015, 11:51 PM
Umm Colin, My email might take roughly 2 days to write... it pretty much involves infinite damage, Could we like discuss this over skype? I really dont know if i could type it all out, and I really have no idea how much damage would actually be dealt

purpenflurb
06-06-2015, 12:25 AM
I sent in entries for mono ruby PvP, and R/S Pve

Kensake
06-06-2015, 12:30 AM
I submitted my entry for PVP - RW. I hope we can do entry for other categories, i would like to give a try on an other combination. :)

AdamAoE2
06-06-2015, 12:31 AM
For specific color challenges, can I use an off-color champion? For example, if I want to do the Ruby/Diamond challenge, can I use a sapphire champion? What about artifacts?

EDIT: What about gems? Can I use different threshold gems as long as I only use cards of the correct colors?

Kilo24
06-06-2015, 12:43 AM
Sent in a PVE Ruby/Sapphire entry.

Edit: Which became invalidated when you updated the AI champion passive to always assume the worst result. So much for infinite Storm Cloud Stormlings from Seaweed Behemoth procs getting Cosmic Transmogrified into Highlands Blackbelts.

Gwaer
06-06-2015, 12:44 AM
I don't know where Colin has run off to but he is a pretty rational and down to earth guy, so I'm going to make up some answers to these questions. That I'd consider playing it safe, and will probably not disqualify you. Obviously anything he says in the future will supersede these answers and I'll probably even edit them out once he answers them himself.

I also have a few questions :

1) Do we get to manipulate random ? Example : I play Cosmic Transmogrifier, can I choose the cards that are created ?
2) If we play Mastery of Time on Turn 4, do we have two turn 4 or is our next turn 'turn 5' ?
3) Do we get challenges in the arena ?
4) If we do fatal damage on turn 3, can we still play our turn 4 ?
5) Can we submit as many entries as we want ?
6) If we are using a currently bugged card, do we play it with or without the bug ?

1, in previous contests like this you have been able to manipulate random so, probably (80% certainty)
2, mastery of time turns should not advance the number of turns, since technically it's turn 4-a,b,c. (50%) * personally I think MoT should probably be banned for this contest, with god draws you can too easily cheese infinite damage.
3, he did make a PVE category, and the arena is all the pve we have, so maybe? I'd err on the side of no challenge rewards though (70%)
4, your opponent can be made to avoid fatal damage with something like blinding light, so assume it has infinite hp (100%)
5, submit as many entries as you want until he tells you to stop.
6, play the card without the bug (100%)

Question (too late for me, but oh well); can we assume that the opponent has X-1 health, where X is the total health damage dealt? Because otherwise might not make it to turn four...
Assume your opponent can prevent damage to itself to survive or have the necessary health.

For specific color challenges, can I use an off-color champion? For example, if I want to do the Ruby/Diamond challenge, can I use a sapphire champion? What about artifacts?
The intent is to actually play out the required board state, if you're in a third shard to activate the champion you have a tri-color deck not a dual color, so no.

essif
06-06-2015, 12:46 AM
I submitted a RS version

JohnDruitt
06-06-2015, 01:00 AM
To clarify - the only number that matters is the damage dealt by Blackbelt? Or the sum of damage of Blackbelt and other troops/actions?

Gwaer
06-06-2015, 01:06 AM
To clarify - the only number that matters is the damage dealt by Blackbelt? Or the sum of damage of Blackbelt and other troops/actions?

Yes only damage done by her. A boulder toss that targets her and your opponent would work, but if you swing with infinite 1/1's and her you're only doing 2 damage for this contest.

AdamAoE2
06-06-2015, 01:19 AM
Artifacts are allowed, yes?

Gwaer
06-06-2015, 01:21 AM
Sure, but replicas aren't really his daughter are they? No imitation of his daughter will do. Has to be the real thing, clearly.

Shadowflame
06-06-2015, 01:21 AM
I sent in some entries for mono-ruby (hopefully multiple are allowed, since I had to edit them with new considerations).

AdamAoE2
06-06-2015, 01:24 AM
sure, but replicas aren't really his daughter are they? No imitation of his daughter will do. Has to be the real thing, clearly.

EDIT: secret tech

Gwaer
06-06-2015, 01:26 AM
I mean... It's pretty cheesy, but he didn't specifically ban it.

zebuli
06-06-2015, 01:30 AM
entry sent

Edswor
06-06-2015, 02:07 AM
First entry sent.

Fyren
06-06-2015, 02:18 AM
Honestly, I like this method of giveaway. This is neat, this gets you thinking about Hex, this gets you engaged in the game. Even barring the fact that anything other than the random stream treadmill is a welcome change of pace, this is very clever.

Voormas
06-06-2015, 02:18 AM
...but they have to be Blackbelts when they do the damage for it to count.

Awww man, there goes my 67 damage total idea :p

poizonous
06-06-2015, 02:24 AM
Well Im up to 1334 damage and not finished =)

Gwaer
06-06-2015, 02:29 AM
I like this contest because it tells me what cards probably won't make it to release in their current forms.

poizonous
06-06-2015, 02:31 AM
I dunno gwaer I dont think a single spoiled card needs to be nerfed, barring these ridiculous combos... I was able to have whole deck in my hand turn 4, doesnt mean any card in this combo needs a nerf =)

Fyren
06-06-2015, 02:33 AM
I dunno gwaer I dont think a single spoiled card needs to be nerfed, barring these ridiculous combos... I was able to have whole deck in my hand turn 4, doesnt mean any card in this combo needs a nerf =)

Yeaaah, I don't think I'll be competing in the R/S entries. :p

Gwaer
06-06-2015, 02:34 AM

Good call

poizonous
06-06-2015, 02:35 AM

lol I dont think im going to submit it, it would honestly take me too long to write it down, but yeah I would win the R/S Entry if i do submit it

Gwaer
06-06-2015, 02:38 AM
I've seen 3 infinite combos in r/s already. No telling how many were already submitted.

neruwind
06-06-2015, 02:52 AM
entry sent

poizonous
06-06-2015, 02:53 AM
If I did my calculations right i do 52762 damage (give or take 10)

hammer
06-06-2015, 03:03 AM
39 in PvP submitted sure this will be smashed but was best I could come up with. Fun giveaway.

AdamAoE2
06-06-2015, 03:07 AM
Took me awhile to puzzle it out, but I submitted my Ruby/Diamond PvP Cards Only combo.

Infinite Damage! :-)

Fyren
06-06-2015, 03:40 AM
Is creative writing/ Hex-fan-ficcing permitted? Because that's... I see something here in my near-unconscisous delirium, right next to the glowing green space raccoon that helped Kary Mullis unlock many of DNA's secrets.

Naldek
06-06-2015, 04:07 AM
Entry sent for Mono Ruby.

RamzaBehoulve
06-06-2015, 04:09 AM
Does Boulder Toss count as doing damage with Blackbelt since it's as if the card itself hit?

Pretty safe assumption we are allowed to use that one, but still.

Naldek
06-06-2015, 04:12 AM
I think it does, he says :

work out the maximum damage you could theoretically do to the opposing champion with Highlands Blackbelt (directly or indirectly)

Fyren
06-06-2015, 04:38 AM
I think it does, he says :

Yep, Boulder Toss counts, I think. You boulder toss from a Lethal creature, it does Lethal damage, right? :3

Lefto
06-06-2015, 04:53 AM
Yep, Boulder Toss counts, I think. You boulder toss from a Lethal creature, it does Lethal damage, right? :3

Lethal troops don't kill champions if that's what you had in mind, lethal only applies to other troops.

Xenavire
06-06-2015, 05:01 AM
Sent in an entry for Mono Ruby PvP... Interesting stuff, this little contest.

Are multiple entries allowed if the only card that stays the same is Blackbelt?

Assassine
06-06-2015, 05:13 AM
Cant read the whole thread right now, so sorry if its been answered:

1. Can i enter only once each for PvP and PvE, or can i enter one Ruby, one Ruby / Wild etc. attempt?

2. If i found out the maximum damage combo, but after that a new Set 3 card gets spoilered that increases this, am i screwed? :D

edit: 3. Are artifacts allowed in color-limited entries? (Ruby only etc.)

editedit: 4. Can we assume our opponent has infinite life, or does he die at 20? (meaning, if i kill him turn 3, i cant deal more damage turn 4)

editeditedit: 5. If i already entered once, may i enter for other colors later (only if answer to 1 is yes)?

szimek
06-06-2015, 05:30 AM
can we choose what we draw in next turns, or we have to do it with only opening hand ?

Skoglar
06-06-2015, 05:34 AM
Entries sent

Mahes
06-06-2015, 05:54 AM
Quick rules question. If she gets to do double damage and something gives her double damage, how does the math work out? Does only one double damage effect her or is it 2,4,8?

Assassine
06-06-2015, 06:05 AM
It multiplies Mahes, so it would deal quad-damage.

Mahes
06-06-2015, 06:23 AM
Oh, that is good to know then.

Ok, deck submitted. I assume it was through the "About" section of the website.

Assassine
06-06-2015, 06:34 AM
Made an entry. If im allowed to, ill try my hands on other colors later.

This was fun, great contest :D

Xavon
06-06-2015, 07:04 AM
3, he did make a PVE category, and the arena is all the pve we have, so maybe? I'd err on the side of no challenge rewards though (70%)

Colin did say no to PvE challenges, it is post #11.

Flairina
06-06-2015, 07:12 AM
I have to wonder how high most other people's entries are right now. Makes me worried to try and send in anything I've come up with for fear it's not high enough.

ossuary
06-06-2015, 07:22 AM
I sent in an entry. This was fun. I have a single Highlands Blackbelt doing a 1,798-digit number of damage in a single attack. :)

szimek
06-06-2015, 07:28 AM
I sent in an entry. This was fun. I have a single Highlands Blackbelt doing a 1,798-digit number of damage in a single attack. :)

You(and other ppl sending their entries) have done it by choosing what cards you draw in those 4 rounds? Or is it doable with cards you start?

Bmon
06-06-2015, 07:31 AM
Can we use the spoiled set 3 champions as well as the spoiled set 3 cards?

Flairina
06-06-2015, 07:32 AM

I don't get this. Just what shard mix are you using? Sapphire can get nigh-on infinite card draw (and PLAY, apparently), but I don't understand how this is possible outside of that.

Armies
06-06-2015, 07:43 AM
sent one in for RWS

Xenavire
06-06-2015, 07:47 AM
I have to wonder how high most other people's entries are right now. Makes me worried to try and send in anything I've come up with for fear it's not high enough.

Just try anyway - lots of categories to enter for. :)

HitoZ
06-06-2015, 08:01 AM
so, are artifacts allowed? i'm kind of confused.

Timlagor
06-06-2015, 08:24 AM
I'm a little confused about randoms.. are people assuming they can pick results from random effects?

I like the idea but I don't think I have a hope of getting remotely close to any of these :/

wolzarg
06-06-2015, 08:33 AM
infinites are actually fairly easy to do the question is are we allowed to assume the most absurd circumstances or?

Vorsa
06-06-2015, 08:38 AM
I have sent an entry.
Definitely one for style rather than max. damage, as you'll guess from the gimmick in the title! :D

Flairina
06-06-2015, 08:39 AM
Well, I sent in an entry. Not exactly as impressive as the ones that others have said thus far, but it was something at least. ^^; I noticed immediately after that I made a miscalculation for something, but given it wasn't related to the Blackbelt's damage output I suppose it doesn't matter.

On that note, are we allowed to send in entries for each and every category? Or just one for PVE and one for PVP?

AdamAoE2
06-06-2015, 08:53 AM
You(and other ppl sending their entries) have done it by choosing what cards you draw in those 4 rounds? Or is it doable with cards you start?

My entry assumed you were able to choose the cards you drew.

ShaolinRaven
06-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Good luck to you all. This much math makes my head hurt as I'm not a math person, so I'm not going to be entering. Though its definitely an interesting idea.

Timlagor
06-06-2015, 09:15 AM
Sent in an utterly pathetic T1
Also sent in a stylish T3/T4 that might actually be competitive :-)

Awrien
06-06-2015, 09:39 AM
I submitted my masterpiece. It is basically the nuttiest infinite combo for R/B/W PVP ever. I hope you enjoy the read, Colin!

IzHaN80
06-06-2015, 09:57 AM
Sent my entry, Good luck everybody!

ogrimar
06-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Sent my entry: 3.5 million damages :p

IzHaN80
06-06-2015, 10:10 AM
Meh i just noticed he didn't allow champion passives or extra resources from challenges, im screw now :(. Plus i know many won't agree, but, this "Giveaway" its basically a Free gifting for Veteran people that has been playing a lot this game. Newbie players as myself won't reach the 3.5million dmg or infinite combos mentioned around severaly.

AdamAoE2
06-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Meh i just noticed he didn't allow champion passives or extra resources from challenges, im screw now :(

You can use specific champion passives but only ones with a guaranteed effect. For example, you could use Malice Demon as your opponent to give your blackbelt rage 1, but not Hero of Adamanth, since it's a percentage chance and you're assumed to always get the worst result

IzHaN80
06-06-2015, 10:18 AM
You can use specific champion passives but only ones with a guaranteed effect. For example, you could use Malice Demon as your opponent to give your blackbelt rage 1, but not Hero of Adamanth, since it's a percentage chance and you're assumed to always get the worst resultThen a lot of people has issues with their entries, cause a lot said you could play at will with "random" stuff. Thanks for your reply! I used the Blood Sphinx (copy action), that's guaranteed effect.

RCDv57
06-06-2015, 10:18 AM
You guys do know that if you revert Highlands Blackbelt in order to get her 1 shot back, she would loose any double damage effects that she has on her right?

IzHaN80
06-06-2015, 10:27 AM
I am still wondering how does people do infinite combos and stuff like that, seems cheesy to me, because that would involve gaining extra turns i assume, and that card should be banned or count as if you go to the next turn (Because in fact you go to a next turn).

Bmon
06-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Submitted a hilarious PvP R/B/W/S infinite damage entry and a mono ruby PvP damage entry.

The competition was a lot of fun, and I am excited to see what other wacky entries people submitted! It was much trickier than I thought to puzzle out an infinite combo without running out of cards in my deck, mana, life, or other resources and without using mastery of time. I assume mastery counts as taking more than 4 turns? Because otherwise that would be easy mode. :)

wolzarg
06-06-2015, 10:32 AM
I am still wondering how does people do infinite combos and stuff like that, seems cheesy to me, because that would involve gaining extra turns i assume, and that card should be banned or count as if you go to the next turn (Because in fact you go to a next turn).
I could throw 3 infinity combos at you right now that doesn't take extra turns. Indeed extra turns should and probably will count as extra turns meaning you failed the challenge as it says turn 4 not turn5 or 4.2

Flairina
06-06-2015, 10:33 AM
I'm not new, but I don't know all these infinite combos people are talking about either. Hopefully style will not require ultra high damage (even if not the highest damage) as well.

ogrimar
06-06-2015, 10:35 AM
you're assumed to always get the worst result
are you sure about that ? It looks strange to have the best result on draws (draww the cards you want), but the worst on effects.
(and it's not specified in the rules ^^')

wolzarg
06-06-2015, 10:42 AM
He did specify worst results for pve random things yes.

Flairina
06-06-2015, 10:42 AM
are you sure about that ? It looks strange to have the best result on draws (draww the cards you want), but the worst on effects.
(and it's not specified in the rules ^^')

It was specified when Colin was questioned about it. Check the earlier posts.

hex_colin
06-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks for answering some questions, Gwaer!

A couple of rules updates...

Since I'm noticing a pattern to a lot of the entries, I'm nipping the "being able to infinitely cycle my Wild Growth" strategy in the bud. You cannot assume that if you draw any other cards on a turn that you'll get your zero cost Wild Growth back.

Also, your deck is 60 cards unless you're specifically using Jankbot in your solution.

Aradon
06-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Can you clarify whether Mastery of Time turns count towards your limit of 4?

funktion
06-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Submitted a pretty spicy entry. Have a whole bunch more to add as well when I have time to write them out from my phone.

wolzarg
06-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Thanks for answering some questions, Gwaer!

A couple of rules updates...

Since I'm noticing a pattern to a lot of the entries, I'm nipping the "being able to infinitely cycle my Wild Growth" strategy in the bud. You cannot assume that if you draw any other cards on a turn that you'll get your zero cost Wild Growth back.

Also, your deck is 60 cards unless you're specifically using Jankbot in your solution.
Thanks a lot for that colin was bound to be a endless tirade of boring stuff otherwise which is why i asked if absurd circumstances were applicable.

hex_colin
06-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Is creative writing/ Hex-fan-ficcing permitted? Because that's... I see something here in my near-unconscisous delirium, right next to the glowing green space raccoon that helped Kary Mullis unlock many of DNA's secrets.

Yes! Couple of awesome entries like that already. At least of of the Style winners does no damage at all. ;)

hex_colin
06-06-2015, 10:59 AM
Cant read the whole thread right now, so sorry if its been answered:

1. Can i enter only once each for PvP and PvE, or can i enter one Ruby, one Ruby / Wild etc. attempt?

2. If i found out the maximum damage combo, but after that a new Set 3 card gets spoilered that increases this, am i screwed? :D

edit: 3. Are artifacts allowed in color-limited entries? (Ruby only etc.)

editedit: 4. Can we assume our opponent has infinite life, or does he die at 20? (meaning, if i kill him turn 3, i cant deal more damage turn 4)

editeditedit: 5. If i already entered once, may i enter for other colors later (only if answer to 1 is yes)?

1. Yes, but unless they're crazy impressive, I'll probably try to spread the prizes around

2. Yes, but you can update your entry

3. Yes (I'm on the fence about Forge, but I decided to allow it)

4. Your opponent's life is irrelevant

5. Yes

hex_colin
06-06-2015, 11:00 AM

Use cards no one ever uses - win a Style prize. Don't stress about the infinite combos.

Aradon
06-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Also, in PvE challenges, if we're talking about using specific opponents' charge powers, how does that factor in with the Avenging Angel's ability to make four of your cards free when you draw them? Do we get to choose to draw those?

Xenavire
06-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Use cards no one ever uses - win a Style prize. Don't stress about the infinite combos.

I have to think very carefully and try for a style prize. I'd like to think I can manage something neat.

hex_colin
06-06-2015, 11:04 AM
Meh i just noticed he didn't allow champion passives or extra resources from challenges, im screw now :(. Plus i know many won't agree, but, this "Giveaway" its basically a Free gifting for Veteran people that has been playing a lot this game. Newbie players as myself won't reach the 3.5million dmg or infinite combos mentioned around severaly.

It's for everyone. Find a card no one else uses, tell a story, and hope for the best.

hex_colin
06-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Also, in PvE challenges, if we're talking about using specific opponents' charge powers, how does that factor in with the Avenging Angel's ability to make four of your cards free when you draw them? Do we get to choose to draw those?

If you get to choose the cards (e.g. the passive that makes 4 copies of a chosen troop), you can draw them as part of your solution. If it's RANDOM (like Avenging Angel) you CANNOT assume you'll get free versions of the cards you want. Yes, I just made playing against the Angel pointless. ;)

EDIT: To be fair, I'd already covered this last night: "For PVE you can choose your opponent but can only assume the use of their PASSIVE. You cannot, however, assume that any random PVE champion power will resolve in your favor. In fact, assume it always gives you the worst result."

RCDv57
06-06-2015, 11:10 AM
It's for everyone. Find a card no one else uses, tell a story, and hope for the best.

I think I'll do a style one as well.
The entry I did is pretty close to the meta, and simply uses Highlands blackbelt as a delivery platform.

wolzarg
06-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Baby yeti 1 turn kill is taken by me so don't even try it you son's of nice mothers!

Flairina
06-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Yes! Couple of awesome entries like that already. At least of of the Style winners does no damage at all. ;)

Are we talking creative writing in the context of the lore then, as in how the card characters interact in the world of Hex? Because in that case this just got a whole lot more fun. :D

(Though I could be confused as to what this meant, in which case, clarification please?)

hex_colin
06-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Also, a couple of common errors from the entries I've seen thus far...

Remember that Crackling Vortex gives 2 charges, but only 1 resource...
Jags doesn't inspire Blackbelt unless you mess with the costs of either card...
If you play Blackbelt Turn 4, she's not doing any damage unless you can inspire her with Speed, and/or have a bunch of extra resources to cast actions that allow you to damage indirectly...

hex_colin
06-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Are we talking creative writing in the context of the lore then, as in how the card characters interact in the world of Hex? Because in that case this just got a whole lot more fun. :D

Anything you want! :)

KingGabriel
06-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Baby yeti 1 turn kill is taken by me so don't even try it you son's of nice mothers!
Dang.

Flairina
06-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Anything you want! :)

Awesome. Now I just have to figure out how anything I come up with translates to a board where I'm essentially the only one playing. ^^;

poizonous
06-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Well Colin, I gave up on writing the email, after my 1200th casting of a boulder toss i like to imagine my opponent is long dead =) I'll let some else win the prizes though fun contest to really get my deckbuilding brain working

PentaChills
06-06-2015, 11:35 AM
You guys do know that if you revert Highlands Blackbelt in order to get her 1 shot back, she would loose any double damage effects that she has on her right?

This comment is only half true. There's definitely a way to get Highlands black belt to have her double damage inspire twice.

This is my Penta Pro tip for the thread.

Flairina
06-06-2015, 11:50 AM
Hmm, on second thought even a story is more difficult than you'd think. If the opponent was also playing against you it would be easier to make a coherent battle, but since they can't play anything, and this is going for damage... hmm.

Xenavire
06-06-2015, 11:51 AM
I sent in two style entries for the fun of it. :)

Flairina
06-06-2015, 12:16 PM
I am now no longer sure where to draw the line between card combo and fanfiction. Help me. HELP MEEEEEEEE.

(This could take a few days...)

sukebe
06-06-2015, 12:20 PM
I don't know where Colin has run off to but he is a pretty rational and down to earth guy, so I'm going to make up some answers to these questions. That I'd consider playing it safe, and will probably not disqualify you. Obviously anything he says in the future will supersede these answers and I'll probably even edit them out once he answers them himself.

1, in previous contests like this you have been able to manipulate random so, probably (80% certainty)
2, mastery of time turns should not advance the number of turns, since technically it's turn 4-a,b,c. (50%) * personally I think MoT should probably be banned for this contest, with god draws you can too easily cheese infinite damage.
4, your opponent can be made to avoid fatal damage with something like blinding light, so assume it has infinite hp (100%)
5, submit as many entries as you want until he tells you to stop.
6, play the card without the bug (100%)

Assume your opponent can prevent damage to itself to survive or have the necessary health.

The intent is to actually play out the required board state, if you're in a third shard to activate the champion you have a tri-color deck not a dual color, so no.

If that is the right way to do it then I did my submission wrong as I assumed the way he worded it meant we treated it like a normal opponent who had normal life and had to give up on several ideas because they died before I could do more damage.

Fyren
06-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Alright, I've sent something in; A PVP/PVE entry that contains references to poor Orc choreography. I'll think about other colors inna meantime.

wurtil
06-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Submitted turn 1 infinite damage Blackbelt with no Wild Growth. 50ish steps, way easier to pull off than the crazy Eye of Creation contest a couple years ago. Looking forward to working on the rest later this week.

Flairina
06-06-2015, 12:51 PM
...and then it turns out this contest was all just a way to make the community root out infinite combos so they could be nerfed before set 3. Ooh, that dastardly Colin! We fell right in to his trap! :eek:

Fyren
06-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Hmm, on second thought even a story is more difficult than you'd think. If the opponent was also playing against you it would be easier to make a coherent battle, but since they can't play anything, and this is going for damage... hmm.

You know, it occurs to me - after I sent my entry in - that this is merely a matter of coming up with an in-world explanation of shard screw.

ogrimar
06-06-2015, 01:02 PM
I'm now really confused about how we are supposed to consider random during this challenge:
_can we choose our starting hand ?
_can we choose cards we draw ?
_can we choose cards that are selected at random ? (ceremony of oakhenge, jank bot, eye of creation...)

Another question:
_can we make our opponent make some basic actions ? (play a little troop for exemple)

(I will whatever have to change my solution, as i didn't see we was limited to 3 colors)

KingGabriel
06-06-2015, 01:22 PM
You know, it occurs to me - after I sent my entry in - that this is merely a matter of coming up with an in-world explanation of shard screw.
The void hungers.

HitoZ
06-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Made a submission, hope it meets the criteria. Nothing outrageous coming from a new player so most likely it'll be in the style category.

Madwand
06-06-2015, 01:55 PM
Sended my 1st entry: pvp 3 shards most damage :)

p.s. is it possible to send another pvp entry tomorrow ? i have an idea for pvp 3 shards stylish combo ) but did not understand: ( bad english knowledges) Are we can send just 2 combos 1 pvp and 1 pve, or we can send more ? Thanks :)

Real
06-06-2015, 01:56 PM
OK, finally decided on what I want to do as a giveaway... Whelp I entered - not sure if I should redo my math now though with the additional rules :\

hex_colin
06-06-2015, 02:23 PM
Sended my 1st entry: pvp 3 shards most damage :)

p.s. is it possible to send another pvp entry tomorrow ? i have an idea for pvp 3 shards stylish combo ) but did not understand: ( bad english knowledges) Are we can send just 2 combos 1 pvp and 1 pve, or we can send more ? Thanks :)

Send as many as you want. :)

Flairina
06-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Okay, I sent in a style one- not really sure if that was what was meant?- but it was at least sort of fun. Might do two more, but I'm not certain as of yet. Colin, if you see an email with "Expeditions" in the title, could you tell me if that actually qualified as a legitimate entry or not? ^^;

hex_colin
06-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Okay, I sent in a style one- not really sure if that was what was meant?- but it was at least sort of fun. Might do two more, but I'm not certain as of yet. Colin, if you see an email with "Expeditions" in the title, could you tell me if that actually qualified as a legitimate entry or not? ^^;

It's good. :)

Flairina
06-06-2015, 03:36 PM
It's good. :)

Awesome, will be doing two more then. :)

IzHaN80
06-06-2015, 05:42 PM
I assumed that i got an Extra Resource because i owned a challenge on the Arena, that is legit?

hex_colin
06-06-2015, 05:47 PM
I assumed that i got an Extra Resource because i owned a challenge on the Arena, that is legit?

Nope... No challenges.

IzHaN80
06-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Also, a couple of common errors from the entries I've seen thus far...

1) Remember that Crackling Vortex gives 2 charges, but only 1 resource... <- In my entry, i got first crackling vortex into play and i have 2 resources because i assume i have an extra resource from challenge (but now im not sure if this is allowed)
2) Jags doesn't inspire Blackbelt unless you mess with the costs of either card... <- This, i worked around it on my entry ^^
resources to cast actions that allow you to damage indirectly...
1) In my entry, i got first crackling vortex into play and i have 2 resources because i assume i have an extra resource from challenge (but now im not sure if this is allowed)
2) This, i worked around it on my entry with certain card that reduces human cost ^^

IzHaN80
06-06-2015, 05:50 PM
Nope... No challenges.Ok, im screwed, will have to resend entry /cry *^^*

Showsni
06-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Oops, I forgot to list my equips in my email.... Let me fix that. Though it should be pretty obvious what equip it is; I use it four times on turn one!

IzHaN80
06-06-2015, 06:20 PM
90dmg in just one round i guess i can't complain at all, i doubt i find something better myself

IzHaN80
06-06-2015, 06:24 PM
@Colin i just sent to your mail : IGN:IzHaN - Crazy Highlands Blackbelt Combos - PVE R&W can you confirm this is a valid entry please? Thank you, i got just crazy with all the math i just wanna be sure this time is all right.

Cephied
06-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Sent in a mono ruby entry for pvp!

funktion
06-06-2015, 07:46 PM
About 80% sure I have infinite pvp damage on turn 2 (without wild growth) but won't know until I am somewhere with a piece of paper since it is probably more complex than it needs to be.

LeMazing
06-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Submitted a rather frightening entry. #FEARTHEDINOS

Cephied
06-06-2015, 08:35 PM
Sent in a tri shard pvp entry. This one is complicated, let me know if it works!

Diesbudt
06-06-2015, 08:39 PM
About 80% sure I have infinite pvp damage on turn 2 (without wild growth) but won't know until I am somewhere with a piece of paper since it is probably more complex than it needs to be.

I have got to hear this...

AdamAoE2
06-06-2015, 08:43 PM

Nice! It took me 4 turns to come up with something for ruby/diamond that was infinite and didn't involve jank bot or born of flame cheese ;)

ziggarius
06-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Submitted a ruby/diamond PvE.

EDIT:
Submitted a ruby/wild PvP too

funktion
06-06-2015, 11:42 PM
Alright finally got that all submitted. Doing that on a phone was ridiculous.

Stormlight
06-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Just submitted my own turn 2 infinte PvP combo...

jmlaff
06-07-2015, 12:22 AM
I submitted my mono ruby PvP and PvE combos... i will not try for other challange because... well... i'm noob.
49 damage pvp and 69 pve, it's the best i can do, at the moment! Good luck everyone!
IGN: Laffin

bluehawk80
06-07-2015, 12:57 AM
send a first try R/B PVE

magic_gazz
06-07-2015, 01:03 AM
Im not even gonna try, I cant even imagine how to do infinite damage and multiple people seem to have already done it.

Good luck to the people who sent in more creative stuff. I would give that a try but I suck at that too lol

PentaChills
06-07-2015, 01:50 AM
Im not even gonna try, I cant even imagine how to do infinite damage and multiple people seem to have already done it.

Good luck to the people who sent in more creative stuff. I would give that a try but I suck at that too lol

This might not be the mentality to be taking. Colin is pretty notorious for being very generous. It's almost certainly in your best interest to at least try. Your type of creativity might be just what strikes his fancy. :D

szimek
06-07-2015, 01:52 AM
B/R/S infinite combo submitted ;]

magic_gazz
06-07-2015, 04:06 AM
This might not be the mentality to be taking. Colin is pretty notorious for being very generous. It's almost certainly in your best interest to at least try. Your type of creativity might be just what strikes his fancy. :D

Yeah I know I should, im just not a creative person and I get easily frustrated, I enjoy seeing what others come up with though.

Maybe I will get lucky and inspiration will come to me in a dream or something.

Fyren
06-07-2015, 04:07 AM

Even so I kinda want to see these infinite combos, or the engines behind them. There are clearly key cards I"m not considering.

Diesbudt
06-07-2015, 05:02 AM
Even so I kinda want to see these infinite combos, or the engines behind them. There are clearly key cards I"m not considering.

Probably set 3 with shift or prophecy mechanics.

bleeding_warrior
06-07-2015, 06:31 AM
PVP Mono Ruby entry sent! Thanks for the fun challenge, Colin!

wolzarg
06-07-2015, 07:02 AM
Sent you a something.

hex_colin
06-07-2015, 11:14 AM

I'm sure a couple will get published next week. ;) But, they all have one thing in common - they're never actually going to happen. :P An interesting theorycrafting exercise, but they'll never see the light of day in PVP. In PVE you could mess around to get some of them going, but you could probably have won multiple times over in the time you spend doing it.

Xenavire
06-07-2015, 11:20 AM
I'm sure a couple will get published next week. ;) But, they all have one thing in common - they're never actually going to happen. :P An interesting theorycrafting exercise, but they'll never see the light of day in PVP. In PVE you could mess around to get some of them going, but you could probably have won multiple times over in the time you spend doing it.

I have to agree here, this is a fun exercise, but these combo's are always going to be tedious, unreliable, and only worthwhile in a vacuum (especially when you are forced to only look at a single card to execute!)

I look forward to see what people came up with though - I came up with a few infinites but was a few resource points or cards short for this contest. I also wonder if anyone tried 5 colour... ;)

poizonous
06-07-2015, 11:31 AM
I think the combo i came up with is totally valid for constructed play, I will actually PM you with it Xena and Colin

funktion
06-07-2015, 11:41 AM
@xen the first turn 2 I found was 5 shard, think I've trimmed it down a bit this morning though.

Edit: but yeah it is a really fun mental exercise.

ossuary
06-07-2015, 01:52 PM
It's a real shame that Blackbelt's ability is both basic and one-shot. If it weren't basic, it would have a lot more options. As a result of that, most of everything you do combo-wise merely "includes" her instead of "involving" her - she's there because it's a requirement of the challenge, she doesn't actually do something so amazing on her own that you couldn't make a better combo with another card. If her activation were quick speed, then we could do all kinds of jaw-dropping tricks to get her ability on the chain multiple times and make bonkers damage multipliers. Is it too late Colin? Get CZE to make her ability quick before the set is released! ;)

Just this morning, I found a 4 card combo, totally doable on turn 4 in constructed without ludicrous multi-hand draws, that can give you infinite resources. But since the combo ONLY gives you infinite resources and nothing else, it's useless with Blackbelt (we have no X buff to give her, and even then, that would be the buff doing the work, not Blackbelt). It's a tragic missed opportunity. :)

#BlackbeltsAreQuick

magic_gazz
06-07-2015, 02:29 PM
I actually thought of something, not sure if it is very original or not though. Will send it in and hope its good enough for a style prize as damage is not even very high.

magic_gazz
06-07-2015, 02:46 PM
Cant send - mailbox is full

Flairina
06-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Not sure if I'm supposed to say it every time I do this, but I sent in another PVE Style Entry, R/S this time. Now for the R/W one...

Tinfoil
06-07-2015, 04:50 PM
send a mail with 2 entries.

Cheers :)

magic_gazz
06-07-2015, 05:03 PM
How are people still able to submit? I keep getting a message that says colins mailbox is full.

Flairina
06-07-2015, 05:03 PM
How are people still able to submit? I keep getting a message that says colins mailbox is full.

You are EMAILING your entries, right?

magic_gazz
06-07-2015, 05:05 PM
You are EMAILING your entries, right?

I missed that part.

Thanks.

Aradon
06-07-2015, 07:42 PM
It seems like I'm a bit slow, but I've submitted my PvP Ruby/Sapphire infinite damage on Turn 4. No Masteries of Time involved!
I think my total damage I calculated was 8x(2 + 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + x) damage, where X was the number of times you repeated the arbitrary process.

Piecetinker
06-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Super fun contest Colin!

I have sent an entry! My head hurt now...time to sleep. :rolleyes:

Stormlight
06-08-2015, 12:22 AM
Sent in my (absurd, but quite fun) PvE tri-shard entry.

So much fun...

Svidurr
06-08-2015, 12:52 AM
first entry submitted :)

vickrpg
06-08-2015, 04:58 AM
First entry sent, no doubt already done by someone else, because I post too much math in the forums.

Showsni
06-08-2015, 05:56 AM
I have to agree here, this is a fun exercise, but these combo's are always going to be tedious, unreliable, and only worthwhile in a vacuum (especially when you are forced to only look at a single card to execute!)

I look forward to see what people came up with though - I came up with a few infinites but was a few resource points or cards short for this contest. I also wonder if anyone tried 5 colour... ;)

Well, if you ignore the turn 4 restriction some of them are pretty possible in constructed. I used an infinite combo deck (or a deck with an infinite combo in, anyway) for the Wild Cup! Going infinite earlier than turn five really just tends to make it a lot more inconsistent and harder to pull off, though.

ghulzen
06-08-2015, 06:13 AM
I've sent my pvp entry. It's terrible, but worth a shot.

Salverus
06-08-2015, 06:27 AM
do we have to use the blackbelt or can we just play it on turn 4 and never use him?
(or better yet, can we just leave him in our hand and never play him for maximum damage combo? because i found a good combo, but need the 2 resources it costs to play him for something else while combo only needs 9 cards so i have 1 free spot left.)

and what about arena AI PvE cards, can we use those too?

Fyren
06-08-2015, 07:18 AM
do we have to use the blackbelt or can we just play it on turn 4 and never use him?
(or better yet, can we just leave him in our hand and never play him for maximum damage combo? because i found a good combo, but need the 2 resources it costs to play him for something else while combo only needs 9 cards so i have 1 free spot left.)

My understanding is that the whole point of the exercise is that the Blackbelt does the damage, either directly through combat or via proxy effects like Boulder Toss or its 3rd oneshot ability.

Gwaer
06-08-2015, 07:29 AM
My understanding is that the whole point of the exercise is that the Blackbelt does the damage, either directly through combat or via proxy effects like Boulder Toss or its 3rd oneshot ability.

Yep. Only damage done by the Blackbelt counts. Directly like it getting buffed then swinging, or indirectly by something like Boulder toss.

If you do 10 million damage with other troops and casting rage fire and just swing with unbuffed Blackbelt on turn 4, then for the purposes of this contest you've just done 2 damage.

Salverus
06-08-2015, 07:36 AM
omg wow, just wasted over an hour getting the max damage lol
this card is useless, i am not going to calculate damage again on something i will never use

Fyren
06-08-2015, 07:46 AM
omg wow, just wasted over an hour getting the max damage lol
this card is useless, i am not going to calculate damage again on something i will never use

Then you're not getting any of the prizes. :p

Salverus
06-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Then you're not getting any of the prizes. :p

thats okay, never received anything from colin so far and still doing fine :cool:
Its good from colin to organise all these charity things, but a bit frustrating to see that I missed the fact that all damage had to be done with only that unit and then work an hour for nothing.

EDIT: ok i send anyway, because i had a new idea
what if you can get infinite damage in PvP, does it automatically also count for PvE as well?
And if two solutions are infinite, whats better?

Aradon
06-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Posted one more submission for 4-color infinite damage. Not sure if I'll put anything else together for this. Might be worth it converting one to a PvE submission. Probably could go off turn 2, but I have my suspicions that even turn 2 is too slow for the combos out there in PvE.

knightofeffect
06-08-2015, 06:45 PM
I went ahead and sent a Ruby PvE and PvP entry. Hopefully you take a liking to them =)

I thought about doing more, but taking the time to get into all the infinite-combo possibilities in the other colors seems silly.

Fyren
06-08-2015, 07:10 PM
I went ahead and sent a Ruby PvE and PvP entry. Hopefully you take a liking to them =)

I thought about doing more, but taking the time to get into all the infinite-combo possibilities in the other colors seems silly.

Yeah, I've... actually kinda found the basis for a few, but as some have remarked, it definitely feels like if you set things up to draw your entire deck, take twelve extra turns and make a zillion copies of your actions, that the Black Belt mostly feels incidental. In the one entry I sent in for Mono-Ruby she was center-stage.

strawwmann
06-09-2015, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I've... actually kinda found the basis for a few, but as some have remarked, it definitely feels like if you set things up to draw your entire deck, take twelve extra turns and make a zillion copies of your actions, that the Black Belt mostly feels incidental. In the one entry I sent in for Mono-Ruby she was center-stage.

Agreed - I would have preferred it if the rules said no extra card draws or extra turns.
I had some fun looking at maximizing dammage from Blackbelt along those lines (4 turns, 10 cards), but I can see that to really maximize dammage you would set up a big draw/extra-turn engine, and Blackbelt would be a minor/suboptimal part of that.

Still, I look forward to the results and the big enguns that get blackbelted onto our poor little Highlander :(

Salverus
06-09-2015, 12:54 AM
take twelve extra turns.

things like mastery of time and time bugs are not allowed right? They take you past turn 4

HitoZ
06-09-2015, 01:37 AM
this just hit me, can we use one of the new 20 champions?

Gwaer
06-09-2015, 01:42 AM
this just hit me, can we use one of the new 20 champions?

Yes

Ariathor
06-09-2015, 03:32 AM
I sent an entry, my IGN is the same as my forum name (Ariathror)

It turns out this was a really fun challenge, I can only recommend that anyone who has the time gives it a try. I haven't played Hex for too long and have never seen or done any infinite combos like that before, but trying to figure something out was very fun and rewarding. My entry is probably not the most unique one, but I still enjoyed creating it.

I have one small question though, I sent my entry as a style entry, since that's what I was going for, but it's still a turn 3 infinite combo, so if I don't win in the style entries, could I be entered in the max damage entries?

strawwmann
06-09-2015, 05:01 AM
The Book of Seuss, Chapter 12 verse 15:

I have said it before-before,
and I will say it some-more-some-more!
"Boulder Tossing Colossusses
has saved me from so many lossesses!"

strawwmann
06-09-2015, 05:12 AM
It turns out this was a really fun challenge, I can only recommend that anyone who has the time gives it a try.
My entry is probably not the most unique one, but I still enjoyed creating it.

I agree with you on both counts: really fun idea and worth doing, even if my entry wasn't particularly original.
It will have sure fired up the creativity around Myths cards and have people chasing some of the cards used here from release day.

But what is this monster that has been unleashed?!
I sure feel sorry for those having to sort through all the entries - good luck to you.
If you need some help picking a winner, I'm happy to help - I've already spotted one entry I'm particularly fond of ;)

Rehab
06-09-2015, 08:23 AM
Submitted combo for R/S pvp

Virus
06-09-2015, 08:27 AM
R/S PvE sent your way!

strawwmann
06-09-2015, 08:32 AM
Submitted mono-Ruby PvP & PvE entries - restricted myself to 4-turn, 10-card combos (no extra card draw/turns/infinite shenanigans :) )

Madwand
06-09-2015, 12:48 PM
1 more entry added: 100+ dmg ! maximum dmg and style :)

hex_colin
06-09-2015, 12:51 PM
So many really awesome entries so far... :)

Xenavire
06-09-2015, 12:54 PM
So many really awesome entries so far... :)

Any frontrunners for style entries? I'd ask about, you know, anything else, if it wasn't for the 'infiniiiiiite!' going around. :p

hex_colin
06-09-2015, 01:05 PM
Any frontrunners for style entries? I'd ask about, you know, anything else, if it wasn't for the 'infiniiiiiite!' going around. :p

Folks shouldn't stress about not finding "infinite" solutions. There are plenty of prizes to go around. :)

Style entries? Wurtil submitted a shockingly (well, not that shocking - it is Wurtil after all) good one about what amounts to a civil war between my family and another prominent HEX family. The bar is high! :)

HitoZ
06-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Resubmitted my entry, submitted a PVE - R and PVE - RW. Have also listed the damage for PVP since i'm not using PVE cards. Am only using the 7 cards i'm given and the 3 cards i get to draw. Don't know how to pull any crazy damage combo off but i think i did more than ok with my limited knowledge about Hex.

Flairina
06-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Folks shouldn't stress about not finding "infinite" solutions. There are plenty of prizes to go around. :)

Style entries? Wurtil submitted a shockingly (well, not that shocking - it is Wurtil after all) good one about what amounts to a civil war between my family and another prominent HEX family. The bar is high! :)

Dang, as if the bar wasn't already high in the NON style categories, now it's high in the ones all us less combo experienced were going for. Curse you Wurtil! :P

I gotta finish my Ruby/Wild entry before I end up forgetting.

Salverus
06-09-2015, 01:14 PM
why do all categories include ruby, should make a separate category without ruby

Flairina
06-09-2015, 01:20 PM
why do all categories include ruby, should make a separate category without ruby

...Because you can't play the Blackbelt without a Ruby Threshold, save extremely specific cases like Jank Bot?

bwarner
06-09-2015, 02:08 PM
I'm working on my style entry, and its fairly resource intensive. I've been able to get the resources to work out, but I'm still using 13 cards. Are there some easy ways to pick up a few more cards that are effectively resource neutral? I'm in Sapphire/Diamond/Ruby.

Xenavire
06-09-2015, 02:14 PM
I'm working on my style entry, and its fairly resource intensive. I've been able to get the resources to work out, but I'm still using 13 cards. Are there some easy ways to pick up a few more cards that are effectively resource neutral? I'm in Sapphire/Diamond/Ruby.

T2 Ashwood Maestro can really help you pump out stuff, but won't help the fixing. I am a fan of the ramp it gives in this kind of thinking puzzle. :)

Salverus
06-09-2015, 02:22 PM
T2 Ashwood Maestro can really help you pump out stuff, but won't help the fixing. I am a fan of the ramp it gives in this kind of thinking puzzle. :)
why not simply use supporting fire and assume the +3/0 each turn?
for card draw you can maybe assume construct foreman as arena AI opponent with him using his charge power to let you draw a card?

Flairina
06-09-2015, 02:28 PM
why not simply use supporting fire and assume the +3/0 each turn?
for card draw you can maybe assume construct foreman as arena AI opponent with him using his charge power to let you draw a card?

Can't for latter part. Passive powers only, opponent can do nothing to stop OR help you except by that.

bwarner
06-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Yep, I have looked at both Maestro and Supporting Fire. In the end I found that they gave me a couple more resources, but at the cost of an extra card. Oracle Song is effectively -1 card for 3 resources, but that would mean I would need 9 extra resources to get down to the 10 cards I need. I feel like I end up needing to go infinite (or nearly so) just to pull off my stylish combo. =)

bwarner
06-09-2015, 03:21 PM
Ah, I think Blood Sphinx may just be the answer...

Bararuku
06-09-2015, 03:37 PM
I sent you an email :3 I hope its a good one :P
and then realizes that damage for pvp is wrong because equipment isnt being used ~_~ PvE it is!

ossuary
06-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Ah, I think Blood Sphinx may just be the answer...

Yeah. Friendly tip to anyone interested in a PVE combo: Crimson Clarity in your opening hand with Blood Sphinx lets you have 6 resources for the cost of 2 resources and a card - a very valuable trade-off! Far more efficient than just about any other combination you might attempt in a PVP scenario. If you can find a way to leverage that 6 resources into some heavy card draw, you're on your way. :)

Flairina
06-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Yeah. Friendly tip to anyone interested in a PVE combo: Crimson Clarity in your opening hand with Blood Sphinx lets you have 6 resources for the cost of 2 resources and a card - a very valuable trade-off! Far more efficient than just about any other combination you might attempt in a PVP scenario. If you can find a way to leverage that 6 resources into some heavy card draw, you're on your way. :)

Well, I just realized I messed up on my second style entry then- was calculating CC as only giving two extra resources instead of four, because I forgot you didn't pay for the second one. Eheh. Not sure if I should fix that or not; is there really much point on a style entry? I dunno.

bwarner
06-09-2015, 06:25 PM
My entry has been finalized and submitted. Long live the Highlands family!

Timlagor
06-09-2015, 09:08 PM
...Because you can't play the Blackbelt without a Ruby Threshold, save extremely specific cases like Jank Bot?

Ooh Inspiration! Thanks ...unfortunately with the restrictions on opponent I can't see a way to pull off my combo without using Ruby anyway.

My style entry hadn't got a a civil war but I'm going to stubbornly hope it was at least worth a smile.
I'd like to second the curses to Wurtil since I now feel I have to write a short story to go with my new inspiration ..and then I'm gonna lose hours to reading everyone else's when this is over!

I also made the mistake of counting the double-clarity as only +2 but the entry was so pathetic anyway that I didn't update it when I realised.

Fyren
06-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Ooh Inspiration! Thanks ...unfortunately with the restrictions on opponent I can't see a way to pull off my combo without using Ruby anyway.

My style entry hadn't got a a civil war but I'm going to stubbornly hope it was at least worth a smile.
I'd like to second the curses to Wurtil since I now feel I have to write a short story to go with my new inspiration ..and then I'm gonna lose hours to reading everyone else's when this is over!

Yeah, yeesh, I thought I was doing good writing a page-long vignette with some sarcastic fantasy on it. Full-on short stories? o.o;

Timlagor
06-10-2015, 02:48 AM
Page-long is a short story ...ok very short but still I wasn't thinking that many words... oh dear. Someone's going to write a novella in a minute

Not sure I have time to write a 3 book epic before the deadline... :rolleyes:

KingGabriel
06-10-2015, 04:40 AM
Page-long is a short story ...ok very short but still I wasn't thinking that many words... oh dear. Someone's going to write a novella in a minute

Not sure I have time to write a 3 book epic before the deadline... :rolleyes:
I dunno, I'm already filming the movie tomorrow.

Reeplay
06-10-2015, 03:06 PM
I just entered. Who doesn't like trying to get free things

Flairina
06-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Okay, third and final style entry sent! That one was... probably longer than Colin really has time for. Apologies in advance! ^^;

brelse
06-12-2015, 03:27 AM
Entry sent.
EDIT: Also sent in a PVE entry as well.

hex_colin
06-12-2015, 08:33 AM
15.5 more hours! :)

Feythe
06-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Very Detailed Entry sent. I hope you like it Colin!

cshorty
06-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Entry sent.

Weltenbrand
06-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Been thinking for hours about a solution, but i still don't get it if we can assume random effects or the top card of our library or which additional draws we have in a turn . Have browsed all 22 pages in this thread without finding the answer. Getting headaches now and probably won't submit, quite frustrating :-(

Xenavire
06-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Been thinking for hours about a solution, but i still don't get it if we can assume random effects or the top card of our library or which additional draws we have in a turn . Have browsed all 22 pages in this thread without finding the answer. Getting headaches now and probably won't submit, quite frustrating :-(

If its random, assume the worst possible outcome (so if you would be aiming for a benefit, you won't get it.) As for the cards you draw, yes you choose the cards. Its simulating a 'god hand+draws' as far as I have understood.

Weltenbrand
06-12-2015, 03:53 PM
If its random, assume the worst possible outcome (so if you would be aiming for a benefit, you won't get it.) As for the cards you draw, yes you choose the cards. Its simulating a 'god hand+draws' as far as I have understood.

Exactly that is giving me headaches, because he is explicitly mentioning Jank Bot for solution. But if i have to assume the worst, Jank Bot would never work. Another user suggests the use of Supporting Fire, which would also be nonsense in the worst case.

Xenavire
06-12-2015, 03:56 PM
Exactly that is giving me headaches, because he is explicitly mentioning Jank Bot for solution. But if i have to assume the worst, Jank Bot would never work. Another user suggests the use of Supporting Fire, which would also be nonsense in the worst case.

Since Jank bot essentially 'draws' you cards, I think that Colin might let you choose them, but you would need final word to be sure. Supporting Fire would give the worst result guaranteed though. If I were to go with my gut though, I would imagine both are not going to work except as a style entry (which I don't think matters as much if you follow things to the letter.)

Bmon
06-12-2015, 03:58 PM
I sent in an updated PvP mono ruby submission assuming Jank bot is legal. If not, then just use my first entry. Legal or not, it was fun thinking up crazy Jank bot draws :)

Weltenbrand
06-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Since Jank bot essentially 'draws' you cards, I think that Colin might let you choose them, but you would need final word to be sure. Supporting Fire would give the worst result guaranteed though. If I were to go with my gut though, I would imagine both are not going to work except as a style entry (which I don't think matters as much if you follow things to the letter.)

Ok, sorry for hijacking this thread. I mean there should be one rule for all random effects and Jank Bot just reveals, but doesn't draw. On the other hand, how would be a worst case with Jank Bot defined?

Xenavire
06-12-2015, 04:07 PM
Ok, sorry for hijacking this thread. I mean there should be one rule for all random effects and Jank Bot just reveals, but doesn't draw. On the other hand, how would be a worst case with Jank Bot defined?

Well thats why I imagine it could be an exception (since very few cards reveal and play) but thats the clinch - how would you determine the worst case? Anything you get could potentially be useful. More shards? You bet that could be handy. More troops? Absolutely!

You could always go with 'There was randomly 3x pact of life in my deck' - or worse, 'Trial of Faith' :p

Gwaer
06-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Xenavire is just confused, and confusing you. The only random you have to choose the worst of is pve champion powers. You control all other random and pick the outcome.

Xenavire
06-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Xenavire is just confused, and confusing you. The only random you have to choose the worst of is pve champion powers. You control all other random and pick the outcome.

Really? I have no idea how I missed that. I'll defer to you as you have been on the ball about everything else.

Weltenbrand
06-12-2015, 04:25 PM

Ok thanks.

Flairina
06-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Gwaer is correct. Jank Bot was explicitly mentioned in the original rules as a possible use card. You do not have to assume the worst as there is no worst case defined for Jank Bot played cards. You only assume the worst for PVE Champion powers, so use ones that are guaranteed and have no random factor (blood sphinx, avalanche giant, malice demon, etc).

pjvedder
06-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Sent you an entry!

Weltenbrand
06-12-2015, 05:11 PM
Guess i will pass. At first glance i didn't expect PVP to be that broken but Jank Bot with assumed outcome Turn 2 is just too extrem and UNFUN.

Its basically several pages of writing just for one turn or just writing infinite, no Turn 3 or 4 needed. And with Jank Bot you could use any color combination without any effort or major difference in your cards.

Feythe
06-12-2015, 05:13 PM
Hey Colin,

Sent you a final revision to my first attempt. Thanks again.

Flairina
06-12-2015, 05:39 PM
Guess i will pass. At first glance i didn't expect PVP to be that broken but Jank Bot with assumed outcome Turn 2 is just too extrem and UNFUN.

Its basically several pages of writing just for one turn or just writing infinite, no Turn 3 or 4 needed. And with Jank Bot you could use any color combination without any effort or major difference in your cards.

I don't even see how you can play and attack with Jank Bot on Turn 2. How on EARTH does that work? Give it speed somehow? You'd need like 7 resources bare minimum, even a blood sphinx doubled CC can't do that and even then you'd need at least one turn's set up. Other cards can give you extra but that's assuming you have enough resources to play THEM.

Honestly, I'm just lost as to how all these turn 2 ANYTHINGS are getting pulled off. Most of the resource gain cards cost at least two to play, barring Chlorophyllia with its equipment, and even then you have to wait until turn 2 to really play anything (because you lose a resource each time you play one), in which case whatever you summon still has sickness until turn 3 (barring troops that ALREADY have speed). How is everyone getting immediate attacks in on turn 2?

Xenavire
06-12-2015, 05:41 PM
I don't even see how you can play and attack with Jank Bot on Turn 2. How on EARTH does that work? Give it speed somehow? You'd need like 7 resources bare minimum, even a blood sphinx doubled CC can't do that and even then you'd need at least one turn's set up. Other cards can give you extra but that's assuming you have enough resources to play THEM.

Honestly, I'm just lost as to how all these turn 2 ANYTHINGS are getting pulled off. Most of the resource gain cards cost at least two to play, barring Chlorophyllia with its equipment, and even then you have to wait until turn 2 to really play anything (because you lose a resource each time you play one), in which case whatever you summon has sickness until turn 3 barring troops that ALREADY have speed. How is everyone getting immediate attacks in on turn 2?

T1 ruby+Forge, you can Crimson Clarity already.

Weltenbrand
06-12-2015, 05:46 PM

Honestly, I'm just lost as to how all these turn 2 ANYTHINGS are getting pulled off. Most of the resource gain cards cost at least two to play, barring Chlorophyllia with its equipment, and even then you have to wait until turn 2 to really play anything (because you lose a resource each time you play one), in which case whatever you summon has sickness until turn 3 barring troops that ALREADY have speed. How is everyone getting immediate attacks in on turn 2?

You don't need Speed when you can get it out Turn 1. I spent several hours thinking about fair solutions not to assume random effects, now i threw away everything. I hate such imprudent contests.

Flairina
06-12-2015, 05:47 PM
T1 ruby+Forge, you can Crimson Clarity already.

Okay, I suppose if we assume everyone here chose Blood Sphinx as an opponent, and was using Jank Bot as part of their solution. Pretty much no other card pulls several others in to play without cost, which would seem to indicate all these infinites are specifically using that set up.

Flairina
06-12-2015, 05:49 PM
You don't need Speed when you can get it out Turn 1. I spent several hours thinking about fair solutions not to assume random effects, now i threw away everything. I hate such imprudent contests.

Please explain how you can get a 4 cost troop out on turn 1 without that exact set up Xenavire mentioned. I mean this in all honesty, I'm genuinely curious because I have NO idea how else that is possible.

Gwaer
06-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Submit your fair solution then. Top damage isn't the only way to win. Colin has a ton of categories set up and people won't win them all worth the same boring combos. He'll likely reward ingenuity. Though being insulting would take you out of the running with me, I believe he is largely more magnanimous.

Weltenbrand
06-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Please explain how you can get a 4 cost troop out on turn 1 without that specific set up Xenavire mentioned. I mean this in all honesty, I'm genuinely curious because I have NO idea how else that is possible.

Shard, Forge of Cadoc, 2x Crimson Clarity -> Jank Bot

Xenavire
06-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Please explain how you can get a 4 cost troop out on turn 1 without that specific set up Xenavire mentioned. I mean this in all honesty, I'm genuinely curious because I have NO idea how else that is possible.

You don't need blood sphinx, just 1x shard (ruby) 1x jank bot, 1x forge, 2x Crimson Clarity, and something to throw away (1x artifact or dwarf). Thats T1 Jank bot that can swing on turn 2, and you have a card left over. PvP legal.

I didn't bother with that kind of combo, and went for a nice t4 execute using Gorefeast. I think I hit around 100-120~ damage? I probably should have gone for an infinite but meh. :p

Flairina
06-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Shard, Forge of Cadoc, 2x Crimson Clarity -> Jank Bot

I said... without that exact set up? O~O Is there any other way? Or is everyone, literally everyone getting infinites using this?

Weltenbrand
06-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Submit your fair solution then. Top damage isn't the only way to win. Colin has a ton of categories set up and people won't win them all worth the same boring combos. He'll likely reward ingenuity. Though being insulting would take you out of the running with me, I believe he is largely more magnanimous.

Sorry for being the grinch, but got too much frustrated to submit now. Was procrastinating it the whole week,now wanted to rush and finalize it before going to bed. Then got confused by the rules. Now its 3 am here. Thx anyway, if for nothing else but it got me thinking about a lot of cards.

Weltenbrand
06-12-2015, 06:08 PM
I said... without that exact set up? O~O Is there any other way? Or is everyone, literally everyone getting infinites using this?

In PVP there only seems to be this, PVE i don't know. 2x Forge or 2x Crimson, but that only makes a slight difference in Turn 2.

Edit: PVE there is one other for Turn 1 if you could use Malice Demon as champion

Flairina
06-12-2015, 06:14 PM
In PVP there only seems to be this, PVE i don't know. 2x Forge or 2x Crimson, but that only makes a slight difference in Turn 2.

Edit: PVE there is one other for Turn 1 if you could use Malice Demon as champion

Wow, really? Though I guess that theoretically offers infinite possibilities, they all have to have the exact same ultra specialized starting point? Huh...

You can't use Malice Demon as YOUR champion, unfortunately. At least I'm pretty darn sure.

Weltenbrand
06-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Wow, really? Though I guess that theoretically offers infinite possibilities, they all have to have the exact same ultra specialized starting point? Huh...

You can't use Malice Demon as YOUR champion, unfortunately. At least I'm pretty darn sure.

Feels foolish trying to maximize 80 damage by Turn 4 and then you just compete for style.

Flairina
06-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Feels foolish trying to maximize 80 damage by Turn 4 and then you just compete for style.

I managed to get a pretty good non style PVE one going without that setup, but after that I just went for style. People were already posting in the ten thousand and up range by the time I had it done, and mine was nowhere even approaching that.

ossuary
06-12-2015, 07:34 PM
Fun tip: Midnight Shepherd + Moonmonk + Hideous Conversion = infinite resources. Of course, getting the 5 threshold is the actual problem in that scenario. ;)

Flairina
06-12-2015, 07:52 PM
Fun tip: Midnight Shepherd + Moonmonk + Hideous Conversion = infinite resources. Of course, getting the 5 threshold is the actual problem in that scenario. ;)

Yeah, that was on HexPrimal wasn't it? Or something like that; definitely seen that combo mentioned before. But yeah, difficulty is in getting all five shards on the field, as well as actually having a follow up plan to UTILIZE those resources, I suspect.

hex_colin
06-13-2015, 01:11 AM
No more entries!

Now to read them all...

Gwaer
06-13-2015, 01:29 AM
That's what interns are for.

Better yet have Wurtil craft a spreadsheet that automatically sorts them by category, and then ranks their quality in their respective categories, then creates a proxy hex deck that represents the relative power level and has those decks fight a double elimination tournament 100 times, then has all the top winners fight each other for the overall top ranking.

ossuary
06-13-2015, 04:33 AM
Eenie, meenie, miney, mo...

Or, you know, random.com ;)