PDA

View Full Version : Pick your Champion (Set 3)

Bombs
06-08-2015, 11:46 AM
So, in this last Friday's update, we get to see the 20 new champions who will become available with Set 3. It should be noted that while all champions will be valid in constructed, only the new 20 will be available during draft (and I believe sealed) format. So given that, which champions are people drawn to? Who seems like a power house and who do you suspect will be a dud?

If you are not familiar with them, you can find the original reveal here. (https://www.hextcg.com/hex-update-happy-birthday-hex/)

And here is Bootlace's write up on what he thinks of the new champions, posted on HexPrimal. (http://www.hexprimal.com/limited-review-armies-of-myth-champions/)

Xenavire
06-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Anana, Cressidia, Winter Moon, and Benvolio will absolutely see some play, and a lot will see limited play.

The champ that gives Scorch will probably be the most underplayed of the new 20, I can think of very few practical uses for 5 charges = 1 damage, even in limited. I see more promise for 7 charges Oracle and 5 charges Gigantisaur than there is for scorch.

Any decent tribal one will see play if that tribe is playable (I expect the spider egg champ to be the most popular tribal.)

The ones I just like, and screw what people think? Anana, Carrac, Winter Moon, Dreaming Fox and Anastasia.

Elwinz
06-08-2015, 12:07 PM
the orc champion granting +1 atack for 2 charges willbe quite strong in rush dekcs imho, if not constructed than in arena ^^ like + atack to Quash.

Axle
06-08-2015, 12:07 PM
My personal opinions from first glance and not knowing the entire set. Thinking in terms of constructed.

Tier 1: Incredibly strong
Cressida: Getting to play a turn on the curve ahead of your opponent every early game and get an extra pick-up on cards like EoC even in the late game. Great.

Tier 1.5: Good in constructed
Urgnock: Spammable and good synergies with things like Quash. Hopefully enables non-Mirror Knight aggro strategies, but perhaps not.
Anana: Combos incredibly well with troops that don't stay dead. Can be stacked on a single troop for 2 Phantoms per death after 6 charges (once before 6, 2nd time at 6)

Tier 2: Decent Niches in constructed
Zorzym: The vennen staple. Whether this moves to tier 1 depends on whether Vennen is tier 1. The entire archetype is a new concept in TCGs...so it's hard to judge. But it probably won't be tier 1.
Carrac: Doesn't revert what it turns into a zombie. That's pretty relevant for keeping buffs. Also combos well with Filk Ape or Trick of the Light for cheap revivals. Probably won't see competitive play though. I just like him.
Ovo: Can be built around to return 1 shots, remove negatives, return cards to their original state (Vking/zombies/etc).
Benvolio

Tier 3: Draft picks. Straight forward uses.
Bryson: Battle bonuses on one troop like this aren't the strongest in constructed. Troop combat is less important for sure. Otherwise it's great in limited if you have the deck for it.
Meadow
Webweaver
Sagebrush
Boris
Ozin

Tier 4: Very rarely used even in draft
Dreaming Fox: Draw 2 cards with 3 less charges than Wyatt, but requires 3 resources of tempo. Fairly steep. Too expensive for draft play. Esp with charges moving out of focus.
Savvas: Only decent with Wrenlocke or Skarn..Might find use in draft only because it's the only removal champion.
Alyndra: Creates a 5+ cost troop for Elf synergy, but they already have Cressida to outclass that.
Concubunny Yuka: decent in a deck that can generate the charges fast maybe, but otherwise turn 5 non-random discard is too slow.
Anastasia/Roshi: Not a fan of these.

Tier Unknown:
Wintermoon: Spammable charge powers are strong. The longer the game goes the stronger this is of course. But this is the kind of thing that people will have to test intensively to find the right deck for. Whether or not the cards for it to shine are in the game is a bit unknown at the moment.

Vorsa
06-08-2015, 12:17 PM
I'm a sucker for themed decks, so my faves are:

1. Zorzym of Korru - EGGS!
2. Knightsbane Ovo - SHIFT!

Out the rest:

3. Benvolio
4. Urgnock
5. Boris Blastforge
6. Cressida

Honorable mention: I can see the trickery potential of Carrac the Scavenger, but so far I've not seen the cards to envision it as a deck - nor do I think it'll be very draft friendly.

Tinfoil
06-08-2015, 12:59 PM
I think it is interesting how different peoples judgements about the champions in limited and constructed are.

I few are straight forward like zorzym, but for most I think we will have to see more commons and also print runs means a good deal.

That being said, I really like Winter Moon, Thox and Anana.

magic_gazz
06-08-2015, 01:25 PM
I think you might be off on winter moon. From what we have seen so far it seems like there will be more ways to control your draws and therefore it will be easier to find the cards you have put back in. I agree that it is very slow though.

Good article though and gets people thinking a bit more about how important the champions are and how powerful they were with set 1 and 2.

WolfCrypt
06-08-2015, 01:41 PM
I do PVE so till char champion is out I'm using Sagebrush and that stitched zombie lady.

RCDv57
06-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Ovo looks really cool, but Carrac is probably far better in this world of board sweeps.
Anana could be fun, but I don't like the 1/1 flier as much as the Zombie.
Buuut, Anana is easier to fit into the rainbow Necrotic decks.

I'll need to see the rest of the necrotic cards before I figure out which one I like best.
Lets be honest though, I'm gonna make a deck for each one of them.
Even Savvas will get some lovin from me.

IronPheasant
06-08-2015, 03:05 PM
The lifegain ones are abysmal since they give you so few triggers. 7 charges to draw an Oracle Song is also a bit weak when we're getting stuff like Crimson Clarity for 3 charges.

Aside from that, they seem a little more evenly powered than the ones before and each has some niche deck they can go into. Being able to draw a Gigantisaur without having to have charge generators to do it alone is enough to help green out slightly in limited.

dogmod
06-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Wouldn't it be fun if there was an achievement that involved winning a draft or sealed or constructed tournament with each champion once. Might provoke people into using different champions and exploring new strategies more instead of what has happened with the current draft format and the proliferation of 3-4 champions with cameos by 3-4 more.

RCDv57
06-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Wouldn't it be fun if there was an achievement that involved winning a draft or sealed or constructed tournament with each champion once. Might provoke people into using different champions and exploring new strategies more instead of what has happened with the current draft format and the proliferation of 3-4 champions with cameos by 3-4 more.

That would be a great deal of fun.
Maybe get some sleeves for your efforts, yeah?

dogmod
06-08-2015, 03:29 PM
That would be a great deal of fun.
Maybe get some sleeves for your efforts, yeah?

Sleevechievements

poizonous
06-08-2015, 04:00 PM
The sheer amount of sleeves are making collecting them so tedious for little benefit. Can we start suggesting alternate rewards?

dogmod
06-08-2015, 04:45 PM
The sheer amount of sleeves are making collecting them so tedious for little benefit. Can we start suggesting alternate rewards?

You could have started in this post actually.

Yoss
06-08-2015, 04:57 PM

Multiple ideas along these lines have already been suggested. Here's one (and I know there are more):
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26423

RCDv57
06-08-2015, 06:27 PM

Ok, how about after a certain amount of wins [in any game mode] with a champ you unlocks their avatar for use in the new chatbox?

poizonous
06-08-2015, 06:31 PM
Ok, how about after a certain amount of wins [in any game mode] with a champ you unlocks their avatar for use in the new chatbox?

See this Idea I like, then again there isnt much I dont like when it comes to RCD posts lol

RCDv57
06-08-2015, 06:38 PM
See this Idea I like, then again there isnt much I dont like when it comes to RCD posts lol

Now I have two fans.
Probably forgot someone.
I have no idea.