PDA

View Full Version : I want to play hex.

FreshProduce
06-08-2015, 07:58 PM
It is getting super frustrating not being able to play. Unless i log in at peak hours the odds of me finding some one to play with are slim to non existent. I am assuming this is just some normal pre update burnout effecting the general community. Thinking maybe i would be better off giving up on hex until the update.

Saeijou
06-08-2015, 07:59 PM
What format are you playing?

FreshProduce
06-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Proving grounds. I understand people who like me who just want to play a casual normal round of hex with some random dudes are a minority of the player base.

Yoss
06-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Have you tried the chat to find gaming partners? Then you can even use the 1v1 "tournament" queue for a best of three fight.

FreshProduce
06-08-2015, 08:07 PM
I do use the chat every day and have not once had some one take me up on my offer of some games. And i do switch back and forth between the sparing queue and the proving grounds since they both give pretty much the same game play but i can't camp both at once.

rjselzler
06-08-2015, 08:10 PM
Proving grounds. I understand people who like me who just want to play a casual normal round of hex with some random dudes are a minority of the player base.

I think that the casual crowd is mostly playing the Arena (because gold is stupid valuable right now), which may be why you aren't finding anyone for casual games. Once some sort of ladder system is in with actual incentives to play, you'll likely be able to find a pick-up game more easily. Of course, the implementation time and exactly how that ladder will function is still up in the air. In the meantime, Yoss' suggestion of using chat is probably your best bet.

FreshProduce
06-08-2015, 08:13 PM
A ladder will only encourage the use of competitive decks over novel decks. Game will get stale quick if every one is just playing to win.

Shadowflame
06-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Without a ladder, decks will be mismatched. Are you playing a Tier 1 deck? Are you playing a rock deck? Imagine those two decks playing against each other. Not very interesting.

FreshProduce
06-08-2015, 08:37 PM
and what happens when one player runs a hundred different decks and has one rating for all of them.

Gwaer
06-08-2015, 08:40 PM
and what happens when one player runs a hundred different decks and has one rating for all of them.

This is exactly why I don't think a normal ladder or Elo will do. Should be somehow tied to specific decks or queues. A generic proving grounds rank sounds really unfun to me.

Shadowflame
06-08-2015, 08:40 PM
People will probably play their best deck every time on the ladder. Their could be ladders with different restrictions also. I hope their will be, anyway.

israel.kendall
06-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Yeah proving grounds is pretty dead, and it is frustrating. Some sort of semi-rewarding free PvP system should have been in place far before now IMO. Even a temporary rudimentary system would get things going a bit and could be totally ripped up and overhauled later. This seems like the most sorely neglected aspect of HEX.

Mejis
06-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Feel free to add me (ing: mejis).

I'm in Australia, so my timing may clash with yours perhaps, but I love playing all sorts of decks for fun.

As people have said, a lot are in Arena due to gold value (myself included), things are a little stagnant pre-Set 3, and yes having multiple different ladders/queues for ranked play would be awesome and will come in time.

Oli
06-08-2015, 10:06 PM
IMHO it would help if you could add an info-text to your game in the proving-grounds.
So everyone could see if you play a certain deck or style in this game.

FreshProduce
06-08-2015, 10:13 PM
I agree with some sort of text flag you could slap on your self so people know what kind of games you are looking to play.

If any reward for proving grounds is implemented I think it should be 100 gold, just like if you defeated a generic enemy in the arena. But really i don't think people should be playing the proving grounds for profit.

FreshProduce
06-08-2015, 10:16 PM
I agree with some sort of text flag you could slap on your self so people know what kind of games you are looking to play.

If any reward for proving grounds is implemented I think it should be 100 gold, just like if you defeated a generic enemy in the arena. But really i don't think people should be playing the proving grounds for profit.

sent you a friend request mejis from the ign nick.

edit: woops, double post some how. don't see a delete button. my bad.

Undomiel
06-09-2015, 04:47 AM
In principle I am always interested in casual games, so feel free to add me, my IGN is also Undomiel. One reason I am playing arena more than anything at the moment is because I am lacking hundreds of cards so my options feel too limited to play around with fun decks yet.
What would be great for me would be someone playing me for commons. Single match, each player offers a common card, winner gets the card from the opponent. :)

Jormungandr
06-09-2015, 06:46 AM

I really like this idea, but unfortunately it's something that could (and would) be abused. People would just queue with a friend and take turns conceding to generate gold. They did something like this by mistake with the AA concubunnies (?) and people exploited the heck out of it. Being able to generate gold at a pretty quick clip by just queuing and conceding would be a problem, even at 100g per match.

If they could figure a way to minimize / remove being able to game the system, then I think it would be great to have an avenue for PvP folks to generate a small amount of gold while testing for tournaments. They'd have to make it so that the gold / hour wouldn't be better than arena (or other PvE content), but giving a small reward for non-tournament PvP seems like it would be good for the game as a whole.

Alternatively, adding the 100 plat entry fee 2-person PvP queues that they've talked about would also work, and maybe that's the better route, as it's not really exploitable, and would be good for people testing for tournaments. It'd be less good for people who just want to screw around with a fun deck, but maybe that's okay overall.

Salverus
06-09-2015, 06:50 AM
it used to be 100 g per proving ground match, but that was removed when the frost ring arena was introduced.
But the 100 g was only awarded if you played a random opponent, if you played directly against a friend there was no reward.

RamzaBehoulve
06-09-2015, 07:11 AM
If they want me to play Proving Grounds against someone else than a friend who asks for a match, then they'll have to reward gold for random opponent on par with what you can get from Arena. In fact, anything less than a 300 gold per victory will be meaningless considering an arena run takes about 45-60 min and rewards 5-7k gold + whatever valuable loot you get against predictable computer opponents.

TCGs are mostly about card value, and time = money. The fun of TCGs is not just playing, it's making decks and testing them against opponents and that requires cards. Wasting time in proving grounds means you are not improving your card collection. That's why almost everyone is playing either Draft or Arena, simply because you get value out of playing the game.

Tazelbain
06-09-2015, 07:39 AM
Creating value isn't the problem. Plenty of people play games in the MTGO that add no value. The proving grounds just isn't fun. Random decks just isn't fun when there is no way attempt get the decks to equal power level.

Hell making 5 sparring tournaments of identical function but with suggestive titles would improve the situation. "Top Tier","Middle Tier","Low Tier","Off the Wall","Starter" or whatever just to get like like-minded decks against each other.

israel.kendall
06-09-2015, 08:24 AM
I really like this idea, but unfortunately it's something that could (and would) be abused. People would just queue with a friend and take turns conceding to generate gold. They did something like this by mistake with the AA concubunnies (?) and people exploited the heck out of it. Being able to generate gold at a pretty quick clip by just queuing and conceding would be a problem, even at 100g per match.

If they could figure a way to minimize / remove being able to game the system, then I think it would be great to have an avenue for PvP folks to generate a small amount of gold while testing for tournaments. They'd have to make it so that the gold / hour wouldn't be better than arena (or other PvE content), but giving a small reward for non-tournament PvP seems like it would be good for the game as a whole.

Alternatively, adding the 100 plat entry fee 2-person PvP queues that they've talked about would also work, and maybe that's the better route, as it's not really exploitable, and would be good for people testing for tournaments. It'd be less good for people who just want to screw around with a fun deck, but maybe that's okay overall.

Were you not around when PG gave 100g? Because it only rewarded random matches, you could not just challenge your buddy and concede for gold.

Jormungandr
06-09-2015, 08:30 AM
Were you not around when PG gave 100g? Because it only rewarded random matches, you could not just challenge your buddy and concede for gold.

Ah, that makes sense. I was around for that time period, but constructed has never really been my thing, so I wouldn't do proving grounds, etc, almost regardless of reward. I guess that would be a workable solution, although I like the idea of people being able to use the system to test decks for tournaments against known opponents (playing specific decks you want to test against) while also being able to get some reward for their time.

Mahes
06-09-2015, 09:48 AM
It is getting super frustrating not being able to play. Unless i log in at peak hours the odds of me finding some one to play with are slim to non existent. I am assuming this is just some normal pre update burnout effecting the general community. Thinking maybe i would be better off giving up on hex until the update.

I think many players are just taking a break. Set 3 is hopefully around the corner. When it comes out I would think you would see a large jump in people trying out new decks. I know I am pretty much burnt out on Set 1 and 2. I only play the free draft once a week at this point with the occasional arena run to get an extra AA common. At this stage they need to issue major content patches a little more frequently.

The arena was a good start but it really is just a start. I am sure some players are farming it for gold, but after a while it just felt like work more than fun for me.

Set 3 will be a good time to come back in.

wolzarg
06-09-2015, 10:37 PM
I'm really not having any problem finding players at any time honestly.

FreshProduce
06-10-2015, 11:20 AM
I'm really not having any problem finding players at any time honestly.

I'll remember this next time I go a hour or two without finding a game. It will comfort me knowing that at least some one is playing.

Yoss
06-10-2015, 12:20 PM
I'll remember this next time I go a hour or two without finding a game. It will comfort me knowing that at least some one is playing.

Perhaps it would be more constructive (for both of you) to discuss WHY you are seeing a difference in results. Maybe Wolzarg has some tricks FreshProduce could use, or maybe it's just a time zone thing.

N3rd4Christ
06-10-2015, 03:17 PM
We need casual play ladder and ranked ladder. That should make it slightly more balanced.

Axle
06-10-2015, 04:56 PM
We need casual play ladder and ranked ladder. That should make it slightly more balanced.

Well who knows when. The HEX team has a weirdly low priority for ladders when the majority of dTCGs have them up before the first testing begins. And I'm talking the super indie ones too. Hopefully they can find time to fit something in between large content patches. Though dungeons seem to be the largest priority after set 3 and rightfully so.

FreshProduce
06-10-2015, 07:44 PM
What would a casual ladder even be? A competitive ladder is all fine and dandy but a casual ladder in no way makes sense. Would we just use the honor system? If we used some restrictions then people would use the top 3 or four most reliable play styles and try just as hard to climb the ladder.

Xexist
06-10-2015, 08:13 PM
If there was a way for new people to play with their starter decks, unranked, and ONLY starter decks were allowed, that might be cool for new people to get into the game. Yeah 'good' players could mess with the new people but really most will have better things to do with their time.