PDA

View Full Version : Been playing a while, figure I should introduce myself

DaethStaR
06-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Good Day fellow Hex'rs,

I have officially been assimilated by this game for a little over a month now. I must say that I am extremely sorry that it took me so long to check this out.

Let me give you a little of my background so you will understand why. I stared with MtG in 2001. I played competitively both locally and nationally. Unfortunately I never made it to the big stage of Worlds but I have played in numerous PTQ's, Grand Prix's and Top 8 Pro Tour Orlando. I was a Florida State Champ for constructed. I also played on the Pro-Tour for VS System, and even dabbled in Pokemon, YuGiOh, and Warcraft. I also played Legend of the Five Rings, NetRunner, Star Trek, Call of Cthulhu, and even some HeroClix, I moved to Canada about 3 years ago and with the move, I left my card gaming behing.

So as you can see I have a vast array of experience from pretty much all the genres involving "collectible" in the name. Fast forward to about a little over a year ago and a friend introduced me to a kick-starter game called Infinity Wars. I had always wanted to get back into playing card games again but just did not want to go back to MtG because of the steep curve and expense of starting up from scratch. So I started playing and did enjoy the game. The motion cards, the mechanics, and the thrill of collecting and trading. I also streamed the game. Because of my dedication to the community, the developers asked me to join the QA Team. We were tasked with testing on the internal server, being vocal in the community and being sort of a go-between so that the players could see that we were just like them and wanted the game to succeed.

After a time thing started to unravel. We were involved with the release of one of the biggest expansions yet. We thought that we were going to help release a polished and relatively bug-free product. That is not what exactly happened. What we did not know is that decisions were being made behind the scenes that we were not involved in. Cards were released in bugged states and any feedback we were giving was falling on deaf ears. I for one, felt as if we were nothing more than window dressing that really had nothing to do with helping to shape the game we were so passionate about.

So with a heavy heart, I left. With that departure, I was left with a void that I wanted to be filled. I tried a few other games out there but they felt hollow and did not grab me. While i was playing IW, I had heard about Hex but it was nothing good. I guess I should have taken that info with a grain of salt. I can say with some amount of shame that I jumped on the Hex bashing band wagon especially after I had heard about the "suit". I felt that there was no way that an up and coming game could take on the bully known as Wizards. So I didnt want to get involved in something that would be taken away if they won.

That brings us to this point. Through a fellow streamer, teammate, and friend NovaBlue who was also part of IW QA with me told me he picked up this game and I needed to check it out. He told me that this game is the ONE we have been looking for. So I installed it, but didn't pick it up at first. When I got an email offering me a free booster pack if I logged in, I decided that now is the time and I haven't looked back.

It would probably take a few pages to list all the things I find great about this game but I am sure most of you know what they would be. The best thing about this game is not only the game, but the community. The last one I was a part of was so full to trolls on the forums, that it was not worth it a lot of the times to go on. From watching and interacting with the big streamers such as Cirouss, Ne0, Alucard, and some others, I found that for the most part, those folks who play this game are great folks. They seems to really care and want this game to succeed. New people are made to feel welcome and questions are treated with respect by most. People are even willing to give away free stuff to help out new players without a second thought.

So I want to thank you all from the players, steamers, and devs for cultivating the amazing community you have going here. Thank your for being "visible" and accessible to us. Lack of transparency is what I believe is killing other games. We don't have to be privy to all things but do appreciate being kept in the know on things that affect our play and enjoyment. Also thank to those who helped me out when I started with cards, advice, and just being great folks. I look forward to growing with this game, promoting it, and seeing it become the best experience of its kind out there.

See you on the battlefield.

DaethStaR

kameda
06-09-2015, 12:34 PM
Welcome to Hex, enjoy your stay :D

WolfCrypt
06-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Ya howdy.

ThomasHunter
06-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Awesome! Yeah, this game is definitely special! It's hard to believe we're just seeing the very beginning of what it will be!

Yoss
06-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Great introduction. Nice to meet you. :)

LNQ
06-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Really nice read. Welcome!

hacky
06-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Many of us in the community wouldn't be doing what we're doing, if Hex weren't legitimately awesome. ;)

There's many out there who haven't tried Hex yet, or even have bad preconceived notions. We don't have to be in a rush to correct that, because a great game will prove itself on its own merits.

nicosharp
06-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Glad you found this game before it really takes off. People don't know how lucky they are to get in on the ground floor before the playerbase explodes.

NOBLEStarshield
06-09-2015, 12:52 PM
I'm so glad you decided to check us out and are enjoying your time with us. :)

dogmod
06-09-2015, 12:53 PM
Welcome welcome :).

CZE_Ty
06-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Your post really made my day DaethStaR. Thank you for sharing your story with the community. I want you to know that the devs on Hex are all very passionate about this game and appreciate the players so much. We all read these forums every day and take these things to heart.

Welcome to Hex. :)

theghost32
06-09-2015, 12:59 PM
welcome to the hex community

Gwaer
06-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Welcome to the community. =) I've got my eyes on a couple of you ex-IW types when my team goes to expand a bit.

Ravenclaw
06-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Nice post, welcome! :)

magic_gazz
06-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Congrats on finally taking the plunge, glad you are enjoying it.

bootlace
06-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Welcome aboard the Hex hypetrain, you made it on just in time!

http://i.imgur.com/ILGexM7.jpg

Xexist
06-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Great post. Nice to meet you and glad to have you.

DaethStaR
06-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Welcome aboard the Hex hypetrain, you made it on just in time!

http://i.imgur.com/ILGexM7.jpg

Dat Train tho...

Xenavire
06-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Dat Train tho...

It's a great train. Welcome aboard!

Flairina
06-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Welcome aboard! Seems like you have a real appreciation for the genre, good to have you here. :)

(Edit: Pfft, would you believe I posted this BEFORE I saw the train posts above? ^^; )

Mejis
06-09-2015, 02:29 PM
Welcome to HEX, glad you found us. Really nice introduction and read, thanks for taking the time to post it.

israel.kendall
06-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Awesome man, good read, and welcome

DaethStaR
06-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all the positive feedback. It again goes to show how awesome this community is.

Stok3d
06-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Love this! Welcome to Hex!!!

pjvedder
06-09-2015, 08:29 PM
Welcome, DaethStaR!

My journey to Hex was a bit similar, in that I played Infinity Wars heavily for a while (well before they released the Rise) as my reintroduction into TCGs after a few years of playing MTG, VS System and HeroClix as well. However, I only discovered IW after Kickstarting Hex and getting involved with some forums. IW was definitely great for a while, and really wet my whistle while Hex was still in Alpha. However, since I really only have time for one TCG right now, I had to stop playing IW. It's interesting to hear about IW from an insider's perspective, though. Makes me not as sad that I just kinda dropped the game cold turkey if it has been struggling as of late.

DaethStaR
06-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Trust me, I do not wish ill of anyone or anyone's project. I wish them well. It just ended up not being for me as I want to be part of a community that if they ask for input, they listen. None of us were expecting that we have final say in things but if you ask for assistance in testing, at the minimum, listen to the suggestions.

Those of us who play or who have played these kind of games for YEARS usually have insight that may be overlooked by those who are "too close" so to speak. That is why you have alpha/beta testers. They have more time to play the game the way it was meant to be played. As a dev, you tend to wish things worked a certain way so a second set of eyes can help you either realize your vision or at the least help you revise it to work as they intend.

israel.kendall
06-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Trust me, I do not wish ill of anyone or anyone's project. I wish them well. It just ended up not being for me as I want to be part of a community that if they ask for input, they listen. None of us were expecting that we have final say in things but if you ask for assistance in testing, at the minimum, listen to the suggestions.

Those of us who play or who have played these kind of games for YEARS usually have insight that may be overlooked by those who are "too close" so to speak. That is why you have alpha/beta testers. They have more time to play the game the way it was meant to be played. As a dev, you tend to wish things worked a certain way so a second set of eyes can help you either realize your vision or at the least help you revise it to work as they intend.

You have a very good point. But to be fair, I've also seen a lot of games crash and burn specifically because they listened to the players. It is a balancing act with a double edged sword IMO.

KingGabriel
06-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Welcome to Entrath! Here's your zoning permits and passport application paperwork *dumps a stack of paperwork on daethstar". Oh also, I'm billing you for time used in me explaining that.

RCDv57
06-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Welcome to Entrath! Here's your zoning permits and passport application paperwork *dumps a stack of paperwork on daethstar". Oh also, I'm billing you for time used in me explaining that.

You have to fill out all the papers in with Rap lyrics, or you'll get a hefty fine.

DaethStaR
06-10-2015, 06:10 PM

Sigh, my handwriting sucks. if you can understand squiggly lines, and incoherent ramblings on paper, I'll get right on it.

Xexist
06-10-2015, 06:13 PM
Sigh, my handwriting sucks. if you can understand squiggly lines, and incoherent ramblings on paper, I'll get right on it.

Is DaethStar also your in game name? (If I may ask?)

Skirovik
06-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Welcome to the community! I think I may have seen you in Alucards stream a few times. Always nice to see a new face. :D

KingGabriel
06-10-2015, 11:19 PM
I have a Roostasaur write my letters, you get used to it. ^_^

Ertzi
06-11-2015, 05:38 AM
Welcome! Great introduction. You are now a part of the revolution that will change the landscape of TCGs forever. I really do believe that. Be glad you are among the first waves of converts, as I am certain this game will explode in popularity in the near future.

Enjoy the journey, and see you in game :)

DaethStaR
06-11-2015, 07:25 AM
Is DaethStar also your in game name? (If I may ask?)

If i cant get DeathStaR, it will always be DaethStaR so yep thats me. I frequent. Ne0, Cirouss, Alucard, and Dino's streams and try to be a part of the things that are going on.

Kramer
06-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Welcome, glad to see a competitive tournament player join the game.

Xexist
06-11-2015, 09:41 AM
If i cant get DeathStaR, it will always be DaethStaR so yep thats me. I frequent. Ne0, Cirouss, Alucard, and Dino's streams and try to be a part of the things that are going on.

I am Asimov in game. Hit me up if you need any cards or help with anything :)

DaethStaR
06-11-2015, 10:04 AM
I am Asimov in game. Hit me up if you need any cards or help with anything :)

got any AoD's lying around and gathering dust? lol :cool:

Xexist
06-11-2015, 10:15 AM

Haha Laying around yes, gathering dust, no :p

x78089
06-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Welcome daethstar and thanks again for selling me the bucc sleeves.

Xexist
06-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Welcome daethstar and thanks again for selling me the bucc sleeves.

What the wha?

Someone sell me Bucc sleeves!

I will pay twice half of what its worth!

x78089
06-11-2015, 12:15 PM
What the wha?

Someone sell me Bucc sleeves!

I will pay twice half of what its worth!

Lol that's quite an offer.

Xexist
06-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Lol that's quite an offer.

Its fair :p

Flairina
06-11-2015, 04:50 PM
Pfft, I can beat that! Four times a quarter their current worth!

Gwaer
06-11-2015, 04:56 PM
I'll pay 101 times 100th of their value. That's my final offer. =P

DaethStaR
06-12-2015, 08:39 AM
unicornpoop

WWKnight
06-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Dude, I was saying Hex was the bees knees all along! Why didnt you listen to me?

Fuck IW.

WWKnight
06-12-2015, 04:13 PM

Check your box man