PDA

View Full Version : Best time = spoiler time!

funktion
06-10-2015, 10:51 AM
When given the opportunity to spoil a card here on the forums I wanted to come up with a clever way of giving it to you all... instead we're just gonna throw it right out there. However, I do want to take this chance to say two things though:

-This community is amazing and I'm regularly astounded that it continues to become even more so, it is like nothing else. Thanks to everyone out there who has been awesome to me whether it is someone on the Hex team, someone I've become personal friends with, or even just someone saying hi in game. Thank you.

-PSA: I received this spoiler because in addition to other things I help out behind the scenes w/ bug reporting & tracking. While we're at it, Ossuary (who also assists with this) deserves a huge shout out for putting in as much work as he does. As everyone is aware we are about to see the release of a new set and likely some new features as well. Which means that some exciting times are on the horizon, this also means though that there will be bugs. If you happen to encounter and issue be sure to report it on our bug report forums (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=116) so that nothing goes unreported and if you feel like being extra helpful read the bug report forum guidelines (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=41538) before doing so.

There are definitely some exciting things in store for us in the future, feel free to discuss this card here or share some of the things which have excited you about this game SO FAR.

Click to Enlarge

Phoenix Guard Enforcer was definitely able to lay the beat down on your opponent pretty well during set Shattered Destiny draft. I'm particularly interested to see if this new Coyotle version is valued significantly higher or lower once we are drafting with Armies of Myth, new cards mean a new meta along with new card evaluations. This card is obviously geared towards filling a drafting niche. I can't wait for a new draft format, it looks like it is going to be insane!

Edit: so I might have overlooked the most relevant part of the card... you know the part that makes is hands down better than the Enforcer. It is a QUICK TROOP!

That's all for now, this lucky dog is about to hit the road for a drive through the desert toward the Hex HQ!

LeMazing
06-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Nice artwork, and I loooove Quick Troop Coyotle. :)

Thanks for what you Bug Wranglers do around here.

Khazrakh
06-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Making it quick is very cool - I love that concept very much.
Even with the rather weak body there are lots of situations where you can use the quick option to turn a close game around.

Axle
Stop with the draft cards

arghhh :(

Not that you really have any control of what cards are handed to you. Past 4 days of spoilers have just been letdowns for me.

Regardless, thanks for all the hard work with the bug reporting and verification. I only really do it during test server time.

WolfCrypt
I don't care what it does its a coyotle hand it over.

israel.kendall
06-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Pretty solid card, still waiting for Quick Troop Cat Ninjas tho.

AdamAoE2
06-10-2015, 11:03 AM
This seems like a solid draft pick.

funktion
06-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Nice artwork, and I loooove Quick Troop Coyotle. :)

Thanks for what you Bug Wranglers do around here.

LOL!!! easy to overlook things when you're looking at them on a tiny phone screen! I didn't even see that it was quick... hahah pretty hilarious that I overlooked the most relevant part of my own spoiler.

nicosharp
06-10-2015, 11:09 AM
Yes, this is definitely up there for solid common draft picks. Nice spoil Funktion.

ryuukan
06-10-2015, 11:13 AM
why do so many coyotles know how to fly

feel bad for all the ones that cant

WolfCrypt
06-10-2015, 11:15 AM
why do so many coyotles know how to fly

feel bad for all the ones that cant

They technically can't they use air drafts to make them fly by summoning wind.

Bombs
06-10-2015, 11:17 AM
I am going to smile every time I play this in my opponent's end phase X^D

Xexist
06-10-2015, 11:19 AM
LOL!!! easy to overlook things when you're looking at them on a tiny phone screen! I didn't even see that it was quick... hahah pretty hilarious that I overlooked the most relevant part of my own spoiler.

I missed it at first too. Quick actually makes it kinda badass.

Gwaer
06-10-2015, 11:20 AM
This is not draft only Imo. Strong quick troops are very good.

nicosharp
06-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Azurefate can also inspire this. So I can agree.

Aradon
06-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Yeah, this wrecks, even in constructed. 3-damage evasive beater is quick enough for me. The only question is if the Quick makes it flexible enough to outweigh the pros of Eldritch Dreamer's socket. Dreamer's probably better in a control matchup, but this is better against aggro decks for the surprise blowout value. On the other hand, being able to play this after they tap out is a strong play, making it good against control too.

poizonous
06-10-2015, 11:33 AM
All this card is, is a quick version of phoenix guard enforcer... If we ever see this in constructed play i will be very shocked. That being said, it will still be a solid Limited card

Aradon
06-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Yeah, this wrecks, even in constructed. 3-damage evasive beater is quick enough for me. The only question is if the Quick makes it flexible enough to outweigh the pros of Eldritch Dreamer's socket. Dreamer's probably better in a control matchup, but this is better against aggro decks for the surprise blowout value. On the other hand, being able to play this after they tap out is a strong play, making it good against control too.

Edit: Sorry, thought it had swiftstrike for some reason. Enthusiasm toned down. Still reasonable, probably not notable in constructed. Sweet in limited though.

dogmod
06-10-2015, 12:19 PM
All this card is, is a quick version of phoenix guard enforcer... If we ever see this in constructed play i will be very shocked. That being said, it will still be a solid Limited card

The quick is nice. Phoenix guard enforcer had the human trait which was very valuable in the last(current) draft format. I don't think that quick will make this troop THAT much more valuable or highly picked than enforcer. I was suprised at how rarely or ever I saw the quick 1/2 coyotole that could tap down 1 costs. I think some of that came as a result of the set 1 pack being the last pack.

The thing that will or will not make this troop a bomb is the amount of other flying troops and the amount of removal in the set. We no longer have champion removal (unless you count the 0 cost 1 damage spell which wouldn't reach this troop), we no longer have champions that can grant flying blockers. If there isn't much removal or other flying troops this card could very easily be a bomb.

Yoss
06-10-2015, 12:25 PM

Agreed. Very nice for a "draw, go" deck.

Vorsa
06-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Considering all the Prophecy effects, I'd say any Coyotle flying troops will be popular in their decks - and this one is fairly solid all round. :)

Jonesy
06-10-2015, 05:46 PM
The templating on quick is awful, it should be a keyword in the text box.

nicosharp
06-10-2015, 05:55 PM
I think they want to mimic how the game determines instants as playable - IE "Quick" Actions...
Now "Quick" Troops
Then we will have "Quick" Artifacts
Then we will have "Quick" Constants
Etc... as new types enter the game. It honestly is probably less headache to have it this way... then it would be to have "Quick" being a keyword.

Tinfoil
06-10-2015, 06:03 PM

Agreed.

I also kind of wish the art had a more thematic interpretation of why the coyotle can fly. Maybe a using a suit of falcon-feathers to gain flight through spiritual connection or something. A common troop riding a whirlwind just seem a bit tacky. In any case, it's a really nice troop and I wouldn't mind hitting that with a couple of prophecies in limited :)

ossuary
06-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Quick is the way it is for a very good reason, which nicosharp has already explained. You're just not used to it because of that other game. Once you know to look for it, it's there. In time, we could theoretically have quick cards of any type (including, in theory, resources!).

Malicus
06-10-2015, 08:04 PM
Quick is the way it is for a very good reason, which nicosharp has already explained. You're just not used to it because of that other game. Once you know to look for it, it's there. In time, we could theoretically have quick cards of any type (including, in theory, resources!).

Quick resources could be very interesting depending on how the actual rules for resources currently work ie is it explicitly 1 on your turn or per turn but I digress, love this guy quick troops are great

IronPheasant
06-10-2015, 09:27 PM
I'm just glad there's finally going to be some additional troops with flash beyond the 12 slots we can currently jam in there.

Jonesy
06-16-2015, 05:44 PM
I didnt realized totemist and canyon scout were quick until after months of drafting set two. I didn't realize this guy was quick until it was mentioned in the forums. The templating is completely counter-intuitive to have a keyword that subverts the normal rules about a creature outside the text box. It would be like having flight simply represented by wings in place of the axe next to attack power. It's bad templating.

pjvedder
06-16-2015, 05:54 PM
I didnt realized totemist and canyon scout were quick until after months of drafting set two. I didn't realize this guy was quick until it was mentioned in the forums. The templating is completely counter-intuitive to have a keyword that subverts the normal rules about a creature outside the text box. It would be like having flight simply represented by wings in place of the axe next to attack power. It's bad templating.

I agree with this 100%. In the arena battle where the champion gives each of your characters a 25% chance to be quick, I've never once noticed any of the characters being quick because i was looking for some green text. I finally noticed one for the first time last night. Part of it is my own stupidity, but I agree that there should be something in the text box instead.

Axle
06-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Or...once you start looking for it..you'll always know.

It's exactly the same as Quick Actions =l

Zurai
06-16-2015, 06:31 PM

No, it isn't. As mentioned, it's literally the exact same as Quick Actions. You have to look at the type line for actions, OMG so counter-intuitive!

ossuary
06-16-2015, 08:01 PM
As has been said MANY times, Quick is not a keyword. Keywords are abilities that normally only work when a troop is in play (unless stated otherwise). Quick is a card type, which can work in conjunction (in theory) with ANY other card type, and is active in all zones.

That being said... things may possibly be getting even easier for those who are less attentive to details. :)

Jormungandr
06-17-2015, 08:27 AM
I think the main difference is that there's a similar number of quick actions and basic actions, and so it's common enough to be on everyone's radar. Also, when you read an action, knowing that some are quick and some aren't, one of the first things you're inclined to check is that type line to see whether it's a before combat boost or a combat trick, for example. This is something that's become a necessary part of looking at an action card.

Right now, there are a very small number of quick troops, and it's not something I, personally, have on my radar yet to check. It's looking like the coyotle race is the quick troop race, so I think it will become part of the natural evaluation of coyotle troops once Set 3 is out. Once people are looking more consistently, I think we'll be in good shape. This is just a transition that we'll need to go through, and having common quick troops will help with that, as you'll see them in more drafts and more games.

Gwaer
06-17-2015, 08:35 AM
The fact that they glow in phases other than first and second main should be a pretty decent reminder.

Jormungandr
06-17-2015, 08:39 AM
The fact that they glow in phases other than first and second main should be a pretty decent reminder.

Sure, once they're in your deck, and if you have resources available at the time. I'm talking more about intial card evaluation, and drafting, though, where you have to remember to look. If you don't notice the quick troop designation, they'll likely look a little bit overcosted, and maybe won't even make it to your deck.

Rycajo
06-17-2015, 12:38 PM
As has been said MANY times, Quick is not a keyword. Keywords are abilities that normally only work when a troop is in play (unless stated otherwise). Quick is a card type, which can work in conjunction (in theory) with ANY other card type, and is active in all zones.

That being said... things may possibly be getting even easier for those who are less attentive to details. :)

Following in Colin's shoes? Vague statements and smiley faces. Oh to be one to visit Hex HQ and see behind the scenes.

Kilo24
06-17-2015, 12:51 PM
I'd wager that just coloring "QUICK" green just like the keywords would help a lot. That way, it calls attention to itself without needing to turn it into a keyword.

poizonous
06-17-2015, 01:58 PM
I'd wager that just coloring "QUICK" green just like the keywords would help a lot. That way, it calls attention to itself without needing to turn it into a keyword.

Or people can actually use their eyes... we dont need everything to go full on baby mode just because some people cant be bothered to read a word on a card

Gwaer
06-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Or people can actually use their eyes... we dont need everything to go full on baby mode just because some people cant be bothered to read a word on a card

Never go full baby mode

Jormungandr
06-17-2015, 02:11 PM

I think that Hex has some room in design space to be able to do things like this that aren't really possible in a physical medium. Since it's digital, it also seems very possible that something like this could be a toggle that defaults to on, but could be turned off for a more minimalistic card display for folks who prefer that. Or even three or four different levels of information that can be toggled (reminder text / no reminder text, highlighting of keywords / quick troops / etc.).

That all being said, I'm not sure why this would be something you wouldn't want? Setting aside for a second whether or not you personally need it to be there, is this something that would make your experience worse? Do you think it would make a new player experience better?

Like I said earlier in the thread, I think this is a problem that will solve itself with time as more quick troops appear, especially at common rarity, and people interact with them more. But, having an option to highlight which troops/actions/constants/etc are quick at a glance when looking at a card certainly couldn't hurt.

wolzarg
06-17-2015, 03:12 PM

This is actually a fairly excellent suggestion.