06-10-2015, 05:55 PM
Anyone posted this yet?

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/608774718041120769

Refugee
06-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Not real comfortable with this...

Gwaer
06-10-2015, 06:27 PM
Huh. I did already back this game. How high do I have to go for a playset.

Xenavire
06-10-2015, 06:27 PM
Yeah, this is a neat idea that I don't feel great about. I mean, I never heard of the kickstarter until this, and I am broke (again) and cant really afford to shell out $20 for an AA that can't be earned ingame, or via a physical location, etc... And I haven't checked, but I am betting 1 copy per tier.

While it is great cross promotion, I would feel better about this if there wasn't a limited time exclusive nature attached to a product I haven't even heard of... And I really hate complaining about neat ideas.

Kami
06-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Wait, is that a HEX card that's being given out for backing another non-HEX game? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

If so, I'm not exactly comfortable with that either.

Pezzle
06-10-2015, 06:35 PM
Wait, is that a HEX card that's being given out for backing another non-HEX game? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

It is a Hex AA card being made available to people paying 20+ $ to another company.

You can say, hey, it is just an AA etc etc all you want, but this crosses several lines for me. Not Hex thing = Hex AA

So very much against.

Axle
06-10-2015, 06:38 PM
Guy probably put a lot of money in the kickstarter and they're trying to help him out in return. Seems like a special case.

poizonous
06-10-2015, 06:39 PM
While I dont like this much myself, it is pretty much the same as Yugioh cards being put into Game Boy games or in McDonalds purchases

Malakili
06-10-2015, 06:40 PM
So, they had better make this AA available through other means too.

Shadowflame
06-10-2015, 06:41 PM
It's actually $25+ since all the $20 tiers are gone.

hacky
06-10-2015, 06:41 PM
As a curious question to anyone that is uncomfortable with this distribution, did you ever have a problem with promo cards for any physical game being included with things like magazines and other products?

EDIT: And things like McDonalds Happy Meals! I forgot about those!

Kami
06-10-2015, 06:42 PM
As a curious question to anyone that is uncomfortable with this distribution, did you ever have a problem with promo cards for any physical game being included with things like magazines and other products?

Yes. I understand why it's done, I just don't agree with the concept. It's like the Gamestop, Best Buy, Amazon pre-order exclusives crap that exists nowadays.

You're essentially pigeon-holing the player-base to buy-in to another company for the sake of collecting everything for a game they like; regardless of their feelings for that other company.

And yes, the standard argument is: "Well, you don't need it." Except, that's not the point.

Chadatog
06-10-2015, 06:43 PM
I got an AA pokemon card from McDonnalds once.

Pezzle
06-10-2015, 06:43 PM
If they wanted to offer something to Backers via Hex they could have set up a special backer package with packs and such. This is Hex AA exclusives for nothing Hex.

Yes, I did. In fact, I still have a problem with convention only promos for an all digital game.

katkillad
06-10-2015, 06:44 PM
At least give a full playset, jesus christ.

Xenavire
06-10-2015, 06:45 PM
I can live with it when the promo's are dirt cheap (happy meal) or are in related material (Yugioh game promo's, magazine promo's).

Having a second look, it isn't explicitly said that it is exclusive, so I will hold any complaints until we have clarification - who knows, this could be the Gencon card, available via another kickstarter as a bonus.

hacky
06-10-2015, 06:45 PM
As existing Hex collectors, and perhaps completionists, this may be less than ideal. But look at what this means: this is exciting! How many backers of Bards Tale IV are about to learn about Hex?

Kami
06-10-2015, 06:47 PM
IMO, a better solution would be an in-game drive on HEX. Pay X platinum for AA card then proceeds are donated to the other company in one big chunk.

Could even make a huge PR event about it. Promoting both games simultaneously.

Xenavire
06-10-2015, 06:49 PM
As existing Hex collectors, and perhaps completionists, this may be less than ideal. But look at what this means: this is exciting! How many backers of Bards Tale IV are about to learn about Hex?

This is the neat side, the part I like... Cross promo is powerful and exciting. I took a look at a KS I may never have payed attention to otherwise, which is already the desired effect.

But if I am going to have to shell out a ridiculous amount to get a set, I'd rather not pledge at all.

Thrawn
06-10-2015, 06:50 PM
I can live with it when the promo's are dirt cheap (happy meal) or are in related material (Yugioh game promo's, magazine promo's).

Having a second look, it isn't explicitly said that it is exclusive, so I will hold any complaints until we have clarification - who knows, this could be the Gencon card, available via another kickstarter as a bonus.

So a $20 Kickstarter is an unreasonable cost for an exclusive, but a trip to Indiana plus admission plus hotel stay for one is ok?

Does not compute.

hacky
06-10-2015, 06:51 PM
But if I am going to have to shell out a ridiculous amount to get a set, I'd rather not pledge at all.

There are going to be at least 26 thousand copies of this card available. This is already several times greater than the distribution of some of our current chasiest AA cards.

And all we need for a playset is to find four. Some may not even value their card much and give it to you for free.

Gwaer
06-10-2015, 06:52 PM
The Exorbitant price of a full set of EA's are a much bigger issue for me than this. I do only need to buy three more of them after all. =P

Kami
06-10-2015, 06:53 PM
So a $20 Kickstarter is an unreasonable cost for an exclusive, but a trip to Indiana plus admission plus hotel stay for one is ok?

Does not compute.

GenCon cards aren't exclusive to GenCon. Only the sleeves are, but I get your point. (I'm not a huge fan of the physical location exclusive sleeves either.)

There are going to be at least 26 thousand copies of this card available. This is already several times greater than the distribution of some of our current chasiest AA cards.

And all we need for a playset is to find four. Some may not even value their card much and give it to you for free.

That's assuming those Bard's Tale backers have an interest in HEX and actually redeem the card and/or try selling it to the HEX community.

poizonous
06-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Here is a different concern... What happens if the game never releases... and it is a failed Kickstarter? Everyone who explicitly backed for this card wont receive it? That could lead to repercussions on Hex right? Kickstarter cross promos sound very scary in the long run

Pezzle
06-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Hacky, it does not matter how many of these are available. Entirely missing the point. It does not matter if Mcdonalds or Sonic or In - N - Out offers an exclusive.

hacky
06-10-2015, 06:58 PM
That's assuming those Bard's Tale backers have an interest in HEX and actually redeem the card and/or try selling it to the HEX community.

Why do they need to redeem the card? Once the codes for cards are distributed, Jump onto the kickstarter page or relevant forums. "Hey, anyone have their Hex promo card codes they don't want?".

I don't think there'll be any shortage of these AA cards, even if they happen to be exclusive to this promotion.

Xenavire
06-10-2015, 06:58 PM

Does not compute.

The difference is not knowing, and where you have contacts... And most importantly, Gencon items, minus sleeves, can be earned ingame... Eventually. Thats a maaaasive difference.

schild
06-10-2015, 07:00 PM
I hate literally everything about this unless I can get this card some other way.

Literally

everything

Refugee
06-10-2015, 07:02 PM
@Hacky: The main reason I stopped playing magic (well stopped buying new magic cards) was because they started putting cards into products which I did not want and had no other way of obtaining aside from paying large amounts of money. This is basically the same thing. My options (assuming there isn't some other way to get this which there may be) are buy a game I may not want or pay approximately the same amount to someone who did. My best option in that case is pretty obviously buy (probably four) copies of a game I don't need. That kinda sucks.

@Thrawn: There are no cards you have to go to Indiana to get and every sleeve (of which you only need one instead of four) has sold for under $10 or way under the $80+ you'd need to spend to get a playset of these theoretically. So even if you consider sleeves and cards equivalent, yes this is at least eight times worse than gencon exclusive sleeves.

schild
06-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Correction:

If I could put $25 into Bards Tale and get a playset of them, I would do that.

But I'd still hate every living moment of it.

Pezzle
06-10-2015, 07:03 PM
This is a digital game, there should be no exclusives tied to anything not Hex digital related. I go to GenCon, I get piles of promos. I am against this.

Malakili
06-10-2015, 07:06 PM
Also, it is kind of lame that we're finding out about this via Brian Fargo's twitter account.

hacky
@Hacky: The main reason I stopped playing magic (well stopped buying new magic cards) was because they started putting cards into products which I did not want and had no other way of obtaining aside from paying large amounts of money. This is basically the same thing. My options (assuming there isn't some other way to get this which there may be) are buy a game I may not want or pay approximately the same amount to someone who did. My best option in that case is pretty obviously buy (probably four) copies of a game I don't need. That kinda sucks.

You don't need this card. This is an alternate art. Play a normal version of this card, which you'll be able to get in Armies of Myth boosters. No gameplay is going to be locked from you. (assuming that this is an AA PVP card, which seems to be the case from its promo rarity and AoM icon)

Unless you "need" this card because you have the completionist bug. Which I totally understand, as a Hex completionist as well. But if we are to be completionists, this is part of the price...

schild
I don't think it's that simple. This is some pretty egregious cross-marketing in a way I've never actually seen in games, and I've seen some pretty stupid crap in the last 20 years.

This isn't quite the same as picking up (names changed to protect the NOT innocent) a copy of Drake Magazine and getting a promo of Firedaggers or what have you for that other game, Mojic. It's not the same as buying a book in 1994 and getting a card in the mail 10 months later (Cana Mrypt).

This is like, you know, I'm not even sure what it's like.

Buy this thing you don't want to get this thing you do want.

Their goals aren't even aligned.

tl;dr: I'm 12 and what is this.

darkwonders
06-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Here is a different concern... What happens if the game never releases... and it is a failed Kickstarter? Everyone who explicitly backed for this card wont receive it? That could lead to repercussions on Hex right? Kickstarter cross promos sound very scary in the long run

Very unlikely. It's being made by inXile Entertainment. They're already 2/2 on successful Kickstarters - Wasteland 2 and Torment, which I have both. I have complete faith that this one will be released.

hacky
06-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Also, it is kind of lame that we're finding out about this via Brian Fargo's twitter account.

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/608774837310390272
@BrianFargo
"Details on the new card will be revealed Friday...."

It's his card to spoil. Why wouldn't he be the one to reveal it?

Xexist
06-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Cory why hast though forsaken me -_-

schild
06-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Very unlikely. It's being made by inXile Entertainment. They're already 2/2 on successful Kickstarters - Wasteland 2 and Torment, which I have both. I have complete faith that this one will be released.

This is true. I wouldn't be concerned about inXile not releasing a game. They are the absolute kings of using Kickstarter for advertising.

Malakili
06-10-2015, 07:11 PM
https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/608774837310390272
@BrianFargo
"Details on the new card will be revealed Friday...."

It's his card to spoil. Why wouldn't he be the one to reveal it?

Because it's a fairly big deal for Hex to be doing something like this and they should probably have enough sense to at least release some kind of statement at the same time the card is spoiled. Unless they don't understand that people might be upset at an AA card being tied to backing a totally other game on Kickstarter. In which case, I have no words.

hacky
06-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Friday coincides with the Friday update. That seems like a pretty good time to release details.

Pezzle
06-10-2015, 07:16 PM
Friday coincides with the Friday update. That seems like a pretty good time to release details.

Today is Wednesday/Thursday

Refugee
You don't need this card. This is an alternate art. Play a normal version of this card, which you'll be able to get in Armies of Myth boosters. No gameplay is going to be locked from you. (assuming that this is an AA PVP card, which seems to be the case from its promo rarity and AoM icon)

Unless you "need" this card because you have the completionist bug. Which I totally understand, as a Hex completionist as well. But if we are to be completionists, this is part of the price...

I have in fact collected everything to date except for AA Ozawa.

I'm not trying to make any sort of case that this is unfair. Everyone has equal access and it's purely cosmetic. However, if it amounts to "someone has to buy a copy of this totally unrelated game to get this card for you." I'm going to lose a lot of faith in the direction Hex is going. I think we'll eventually find that the card will be available in game somehow. However, if it's not I'm going to serious reassess how much time I spend on this game.

Zophie
I dunno I've already resigned to never being able to collect everything in this game, what's one more thing going to matter?

That being said, I really enjoyed The Bard's Tale Construction Set (https://archive.org/details/msdos_The_Bards_Tale_Construction_Set_1991) when I was a kid, I'd kickstart a new version of that if they ever made one.

Xavon
06-10-2015, 07:19 PM
If it was a play set, I would be more likely to kick in $25. Never was a huge fan of that series, and $25 for one card is a bit much.

I'd rather put $25 more to Bloodstained KS.

Thrawn
06-10-2015, 07:20 PM
I wonder if people would be less upset if this was a sleeve instead of a card?

Xexist
06-10-2015, 07:20 PM
I wonder if people would be less upset if this was a sleeve instead of a card?

Lol probably more upset. I love me some sleeves.

Pezzle
06-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Why should you have to eat a certain fast food place or give money to games you may not play to gain access to cards in Hex. Because other companies have done that in the past? Is that the defense?

Xavon
06-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Definitely less, then I wouldn't even have to consider it. And no real game effect.

Because I really do want that card, and want to build a deck around it.

Deckofmanythings
06-10-2015, 07:22 PM
I am a huge fan of cross-promotion and love this. Honestly, I expected Hex cards as stretch goals in the Ghostbusters Kickstarter, but their licensing probably wouldn't have allowed that.

The more people to discover Hex the better, and some who have no care for the card can likely sell the promo code and make back a chunk of money they spent on the KS for BT4.

Thoom
06-10-2015, 07:22 PM
This is annoying. Not as annoying as con-exclusives, but still annoying. If it was a playset, I would probably throw in $25 for their kickstarter, but for a single copy? No thanks, I'll just go panhandling on /r/bardstale or wherever.

Zophie
06-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Definitely less, then I wouldn't even have to consider it. And no real game effect.

It's an AA. You can still build your deck around the normal card.

Pezzle
06-10-2015, 07:24 PM
It's an AA. You can still build your deck around the normal card.

entirely not the point

Grimshaw
06-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Or you can wait to buy the AA versions from the Auction House, as they will certainly be available there.

Honestly, I don't personally have an issue with this. It's a fun way to reward a fellow backer of Hex. It'll be a nice bonus for those that want both. Hopefully we'll also get a few new Hexers.

Cory_Jones
Hello!
So this got out a little early
Friday's update goes into depth about why I did this and yes this is not something I would typically do

But as a note:
Brian was a huge backer of our Kickstarter and had a vanity card coming
And yes you get a play set of the AA

so in short please hold judgment till Friday's update :)

Zophie
entirely not the point

No I get the point, I'm responding to what I quoted though.

regomar
06-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Unbelievable that people are whining about this. I mean, holy crap guys, the sense of entitlement dripping off of some of you is so thick I'm surprised it hasn't drowned you. It's a cross promotion with an alt art. Get over it. People are already spending more than this to get different alt arts in this game.

I mean, how DARE Hex do a standard cross promotion with another company! How DARE they! What gives them the right to engage in standard business practices?!? Right guys!

Oroniss
06-10-2015, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I don't want to jump to conclusions without something official from Hex, but as it currently reads it leaves a very sour taste.

If there is a way to obtain it in game as well though, then I'm all for it (provided the in game part is remotely reasonable).

Edit - ninja'd by Cory.

I'll wait then.

schild
Hello!
Friday's update goes into depth about why I did this and yes this is not something I would typically do

But as a note:

Thanks for chiming in.

Still insane, but tolerable. Now tell him to open up the $20 tier again because announcing this now screams "bring us to the finish line with a bang."

"early" is always bad :(

Pezzle
Nevermind

Pezzle
Double post

regomar
06-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Hello!

But as a note:

Sounds great to me Cory, ignore the whiny wet blankets Some people can just never be happy unless they have something to cry about.

Kami
Hello!

But as a note:

Love the prompt response. ^^

regomar
You should stop posting.

No.

Thrawn
06-10-2015, 07:30 PM
Unbelievable that people are whining about this. I mean, holy crap guys, the sense of entitlement dripping off of some of you is so thick I'm surprised it hasn't drowned you. It's a cross promotion with an alt art. Get over it. People are already spending more than this to get different alt arts in this game.

I mean, how DARE Hex do a standard cross promotion with another company! How DARE they! What gives them the right to engage in standard business practices?!? Right guys!

Just saying something is entitlement and putting some sarcastic comments after it doesn't magically make it correct.

Xenavire
06-10-2015, 07:33 PM
Just saying something is entitlement and putting some sarcastic comments after it doesn't magically make it correct.

Agreed. Regomar, you are talking to people playing a game that hypes every collectible. There is a lot of desire to own as much as possible, and when it's being restricted by seemingly non-sensical things, people get upset.

However, at a playset + a decent sounding game for below $30, I am less worried and may just take the plunge.

regomar
06-10-2015, 07:33 PM

Point out which part isn't correct then. The reactions here are exceedingly over the top and entitled, outright demanding and screeching about a company doing a standard cross promotion. Not only that, but a cross promo with another company that backed Hex heavily. If you're whining and crying over this, you ARE entitled and this IS a standard business practice. Kindly tell what part of that is 'not correct'.

Xenavire
06-10-2015, 07:36 PM
Point out which part isn't correct then. The reactions here are exceedingly over the top and entitled, outright demanding and screeching about a company doing a standard cross promotion. Not only that, but a cross promo with another company that backed Hex heavily. If you're whining and crying over this, you ARE entitled and this IS a standard business practice. Kindly tell what part of that is 'not correct'.

People have rarely enjoyed cross-promotion exclusive collectible items. Not wanting more of them is not entitlement.

However, I support cross promotion fully, I just don't think it needs to be exclusive. At a set I can deal with it if need be, but I do wish this was one of x number of options.

Refugee
06-10-2015, 07:37 PM

What exactly are people acting entitled to? I don't recall seeing anyone demanding the card be given to them for free. I am not sure that word means what you think it means.

Baigan
06-10-2015, 07:39 PM
I did not previously know about Bards Tale. This promo introduced me to it and I think I'm going to back it now. The AAs are a nice addition.

Thanks!

regomar
06-10-2015, 07:42 PM
What exactly are people acting entitled to? I don't recall seeing anyone demanding the card be given to them for free. I am not sure that word means what you think it means.

You're being myopic. The entitlement doesn't need to be 'I want the card, gimme!' to be entitlement. In this case, the entitlement is the people thinking that they are entitled to dictate HOW promotions are given out and when, and related to what, or they will cry like a baby on the forums and have a hissy fit over how unfair it is that a company doesn't meet their exact desires for how items are distributed. It's well within the definitions of childish, petty, and entitled.

Xenavire
06-10-2015, 07:45 PM
You're being myopic. The entitlement doesn't need to be 'I want the card, gimme!' to be entitlement. In this case, the entitlement is the people thinking that they are entitled to dictate HOW promotions are given out and when, and related to what, or they will cry like a baby on the forums and have a hissy fit over how unfair it is that a company doesn't meet their exact desires for how items are distributed. It's well within the definitions of childish, petty, and entitled.

Its called feedback - the same thing happened with the T-shirts and sleeves. The sleeves part was heavily vetoed for the exact same reasons we have been hearing here. Cory decided against adding sleeves.

If the majority dislikes something, it should be something to learn from, even if only for the future.

Malakili
06-10-2015, 07:45 PM
So are we just supposed to not have opinions on anything Hex does ever or what? Is arguing against flavor text as rules "entitlement" because Hex Ent has the right to decide what text goes on the card and saying it should be changes suggests I think I am entitled to certain text?

I'm sure you enjoy getting to think you have some kind of fictional internet forum moral high ground, but get over yourself. People express displeasure at decisions companies make all the time.

RCDv57
06-10-2015, 07:46 PM
You're being myopic.

I am stupid and don't understand big scary words.
Whatever is going on here I guess you win.

Malicus
06-10-2015, 07:47 PM
I had already backed bards tale after someone pointed it out in a hex stream I was watching (notably haven't backed anything since hex) the card seems like a cool bonus and while I was somewhat anti-promotional AA's previously, since recognising I am never going to get play sets of the collector AA's I am somewhat more philosophical about it. The opportunities this opens up for community growth exceed any lingering issues with limits on who can obtain the card and this one is specifically just money and a short time window which is less restrictive than many of the other AA already in the market.

It will be interesting to see what these end up being worth though.

Pezzle
06-10-2015, 07:47 PM
So are we just supposed to not have opinions on anything Hex does ever or what? Is arguing against flavor text as rules "entitlement" because Hex Ent has the right to decide what text goes on the card and saying it should be changes suggests I think I am entitled to certain text?

I'm sure you enjoy getting to think you have some kind of fictional internet forum moral high ground, but get over yourself. People express displeasure at decisions companies make all the time.

Not to worry, he is entitled to do so.

katkillad
06-10-2015, 07:49 PM
It being a playset rather than a single AA = I backed, hurray!

Cory_Jones
06-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Everyone has a right to an opinion
This a great community because we respect each other enough to be considerate and civil
Let's end this thread on a positive note...

We had an amazing test draft of set 3 internally tonight, it was amazing, set 3 is going to be so much fun :)

Gwaer
06-10-2015, 07:50 PM
I'm really okay with limited cross promotions. They're good for getting people interested. As long as they don't get too rare it should really be okay.

Xenavire
I had already backed bards tale after someone pointed it out in a hex stream I was watching (notably haven't backed anything since hex) the card seems like a cool bonus and while I was somewhat anti-promotional AA's previously, since recognising I am never going to get play sets of the collector AA's I am somewhat more philosophical about it. The opportunities this opens up for community growth exceed any lingering issues with limits on who can obtain the card and this one is specifically just money and a short time window which is less restrictive than many of the other AA already in the market.

It will be interesting to see what these end up being worth though.

At a playset per $20+ tier... IF the codes get redeemed, they should be the AA equivalent of a dime a dozen. Which essentially makes both versions next to worthless instantly, but thats fine, the promotion will be well worth it by the sounds of it.

hex_colin
Just look at it this way. What if there was an AA in the store for the next 29 days that cost 2500 Platinum for a playset? If you'd invest in it, get to backing the KS. If not, pick them up when they inevitably show up for sale in the AH.

I don't even want the game, but I want the cards! Also, he helped HEX become a reality like many of us, so I'm helping his game become a reality. :)

sukebe
06-10-2015, 07:52 PM
I have in fact collected everything to date except for AA Ozawa.

I'm not trying to make any sort of case that this is unfair. Everyone has equal access and it's purely cosmetic. However, if it amounts to "someone has to buy a copy of this totally unrelated game to get this card for you." I'm going to lose a lot of faith in the direction Hex is going. I think we'll eventually find that the card will be available in game somehow. However, if it's not I'm going to serious reassess how much time I spend on this game.

I understand wanting to collect every little thing. I want the same thing. That said, how would an AA of a card (the base card can be obtained easily) cause you to lose faith in the company? AA's are not needed, no matter how much people like you or I feel we need to collect them anyway.

I have no problem with things like this. It just ups the challenge when it comes to get everything. I am fine with that, if it was easy it would not be worth doing.

Again, this is just the AA version of the card. You can still get the normal version of that card and build a deck around it with absolutely no change...

schild
06-10-2015, 07:53 PM
I don't even want the game, but I want the cards!

This is exactly the problem. If I'D KNOWN I could buy into some absurd tier and have control over distribution and sell the AAs myself, I would have done it immediately.

It's actually quite unfair to be honest.

Shadowflame
06-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Fortunately, I'm already missing so many things, so this doesn't even phase me. :p (Might even back this)

RCDv57
06-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Everyone has a right to an opinion
This a great community because we respect each other enough to be considerate and civil
Let's end this thread on a positive note...

We had an amazing test draft of set 3 internally tonight, it was amazing, set 3 is going to be so much fun :)

Who won?

Xexist

Even the boss says its something he wouldnt normally do troll.

Feegert
At least give a full playset, jesus christ.

Agree 100% Mainly because I'm being forced to pay money to fund a game that I don't give a shit about.

Yes, I did. In fact, I still have a problem with convention only promos for an all digital game.

This. All of the sudden the whole "all digital TCG" goes right out the window and I get shafted by living on the wrong part of the planet.

It's gotta suck for the developer too though, he's gonna get the game funded and then have nobody play it.

EDIT: Holding judgement for Friday's post via Princess Cory's request. All hail the Princess.

Refugee

OR perhaps customers are giving feedback to a company regarding their concerns about a recent and unclear decision. Let's be clear on my stance here. Thus far EVERY time something has come up that gave me pause about the game it has turned out alright. I have faith this will be the case here as well. However, I feel expressing some mild concern is totally appropriate.

Now let's address your claim. Entitled to dictate "HOW promotions are given out." Nope. I DO feel entitled to take my time and money elsewhere if a game (see magic) goes a way I dislike. And if a string of promotions came along that said, "Go see Will Smith's new movie and get an exclusive in game card!" I would move on. To carry it to a ridiculous extreme I believe people would be upset if Hex gave a promo for killing your family members too. It's not entitlement to have concerns.

"and when" What? has anyone complained about the timing of this? Did you just add it because it was an interrogative?

"and related to what" See the "How" section. The same applies here.

Sooooo many cry babies and hissy fits in this thread. Go read Hacky's posts and read your own and think about which of the two of you is more likely to be listened to.

"exact desires for how items are distributed." Well, I admit that I have preferences along the lines of free, delivered by buxom young women and accompanied by a delicious meal. However, really it'd just be nice to not be compelled to buy a product I don't want by the makers of a product I do want. I know that's asking a lot but what can I say, I'm just a squeaky wheel.

I think let's just wait for Friday and see how things pan out though. I'm sure everything will turn out well for everyone. Or you can keep yelling angrily at everyone about how spoiled and childish they are, your choice.

Thoom
06-10-2015, 07:58 PM
Hello!

But as a note:

<3

I don't know why I ever get fussed by these things. You always do right by us in the end. I'm on board.

Malakili
06-10-2015, 08:00 PM
I guess until Friday's update I don't have any more to say. The whole thing seems odd.

Malicus
06-10-2015, 08:01 PM
At a playset per $20+ tier... IF the codes get redeemed, they should be the AA equivalent of a dime a dozen. Which essentially makes both versions next to worthless instantly, but thats fine, the promotion will be well worth it by the sounds of it.

This is what I think too which makes it completely unnecessary to back the game to get them. If it was a reward for say the $500 tiers and thus exceedingly rare things might be very different

regomar
06-10-2015, 08:01 PM

Since when is 'myopic' a big scary word? Are you for real?

Xexist
06-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Just look at it this way. What if there was an AA in the store for the next 29 days that cost 2500 Platinum for a playset? If you'd invest in it, get to backing the KS. If not, pick them up when they inevitably show up for sale in the AH.

I don't even want the game, but I want the cards! Also, he helped HEX become a reality like many of us, so I'm helping his game become a reality. :)

Maybe they SHOULD put a playset of the AA up for $25. Then it simply becomes a matter of if you want to back a KS esentially for free. (though really people would just find out about the KS after the fact and kick themselves for missing it)

Also I like their 'GUILT' tiers for the pirates. Good humor!

BossHoss
06-10-2015, 08:07 PM

Don't worry I can fix this... Here is My "O" pic

Xexist
06-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Don't worry I can fix this... Here is My "O" pic

Is that you? Nice kitty tree!

Zophie
06-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Who won?

I don't know, we haven't had a rap battle yet.

Refugee
06-10-2015, 08:12 PM
I understand wanting to collect every little thing. I want the same thing. That said, how would an AA of a card (the base card can be obtained easily) cause you to lose faith in the company? AA's are not needed, no matter how much people like you or I feel we need to collect them anyway.

I have no problem with things like this. It just ups the challenge when it comes to get everything. I am fine with that, if it was easy it would not be worth doing.

Again, this is just the AA version of the card. You can still get the normal version of that card and build a deck around it with absolutely no change...

So let's look at levels here of how this COULD have gone and I'll touch on each scenario.

Hex releases a powerful new (pvp) card available only through this kickstarter. Ok, I'm out. Collection is sold asap and I'm done. That sort of things signals "if it's going to make us money we're doing it consequences be damned."

Hex releases a powerful new (pve) card available only though this kickstarter. Alright well, at least the competitive landscape is still intact but if this becomes a trend I'm heading for the hills.

Hex releases an unusable piece of cute fluff available only through this kickstarter. Basically the same reaction as scenario #2.

Hex releases an AA of an existing card available only through the kickstarter. Alright, if AWARENESS is your goal why is it kickstarter exclusive? I'm now aware of this kickstarter. Mission accomplished. I can buy it or not based on my desires FOR THAT GAME not for the card. So.... why are you making me give someone money I may not want to? It's a cause for worry and something to watch for but not something I'd leave the game over.

Hex releases an AA available through kickstarter or buyable in game. Great. I look forward to it. Wonderful plan. Hope it goes well for everyone.

Companies often do the wrong thing for the right reasons. It doesn't mean they're bad, greedy, or stupid. But at some point you have to consider that their priorities may not be aligned with yours. Most of those scenarios above would be a signal to me that Hex's priorities weren't aligned with mine. However, I'd be relatively surprised if it wasn't the last scenario and you'll be able to earn or buy the card in game somehow.

jonsnow2000
06-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Let's all relax a bit. These cards will be literally thrown at you on Ebay and the ingame AH for under 5$ for the playset, seeing how many backers get them. Hugs?

MatWith1T
06-10-2015, 08:37 PM
All things considered, I'm way more in favor of this sort of promo then convention sleeves... I'll back this game for a aesthetic gimme. Beats having to fly to Germany on 24 hour notice if I wanted Bucc sleeves

IndigoShade
06-10-2015, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I'm still bitter about the sleeves things too TBH. That ship has already sailed though, so what can you do? :(

Xexist
06-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Let's all relax a bit. These cards will be literally thrown at you on Ebay and the ingame AH for under 5$ for the playset, seeing how many backers get them. Hugs?

I got hugs for ya brah

Stok3d
06-10-2015, 09:06 PM
I see cross promotion as a good thing Only when Hex stands to get an absolutely absorbent amount of exposure from it. It doesn't seem too long ago that Hearthstone channeled themselves to all the college communities and provided the in game reward of a TeSPA Card Back (http://tespa.org/blog/2014/09/23/tespacardback/).

hex_colin
06-10-2015, 09:08 PM
I see cross promotion as a good thing Only when Hex stands to get an absolutely absorbent amount of exposure from it. It doesn't seem too long ago that Hearthstone channeled themselves to all the college communities and provided the in game reward of a TeSPA Card Back (http://tespa.org/blog/2014/09/23/tespacardback/).

By the time this KS is done I'd bet there will be at least 50K new people who'll need to check out HEX to get their AAs - that's pretty good exposure. :) That's a lot of marketing for no additional investment.

fitzle
06-10-2015, 09:11 PM
I had the Bards Tale kickstarter on my watch list since it started. I loved the original games and was just holding back for no good reason. I'd say this tipped it for me!

magic_gazz
06-10-2015, 09:15 PM
By the time this KS is done I'd bet there will be at least 50K new people who'll need to check out HEX to get their AAs - that's pretty good exposure. :) That's a lot of marketing for no additional investment.

I like this for this reason. I think the non conventional advertising is the way to go (and cheaper). Even if only a fraction of those people every try Hex it was a great move.

I also think that basically you buy some AA cards and get a free game, even if you don't want the game it doesn't matter.

Its a lot easier to back a kickstarter than to travel to a convention AND its available to everyone at the same price UNLIKE the thousands of dollars I would have to spend to get sleeves from a convention.

Sometimes I feel people complain about the smallest things before really thinking it through.

WolfCrypt
06-10-2015, 09:16 PM
Maybe this is a subtle jump into starting to advertise Hex?

RCDv57
06-10-2015, 09:17 PM

No, I'm not real.
I am just an optical illusion.

Fyren
06-10-2015, 09:18 PM
...I look away from the forums for one evening, and suddenly Thread Monolith.

Stok3d
06-10-2015, 09:21 PM
I didn't realize Brian Fargo is the same guy who made Baldur's Gate.

This KS looks to be big!

backers
$1,155,580
pledged of $1,250,000 goal
days to go

This is quite a bit deal.

Yoss
06-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Seems like a brilliant move by Hex.

Gwaer
06-10-2015, 09:35 PM

Ugh. I agree.

Yoss
06-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Ugh. I agree.

We agree most of the time. :)

Xexist
06-10-2015, 09:46 PM

Part of me doesnt like it, but I have to admit it is VERY smart advertising money spend (IE, almost none), and it will probably work with me because I will probably back this stupid game I will never play*.

*The Bards tale is actually a pretty sweet game, so this reboot will probably be great too, I just wont have much time to play it.

hammer
06-10-2015, 09:57 PM
Won't back but hope to pickup the AA on the auction house. Good advertising, nice art, nice card.

Svenn
06-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Part of me doesnt like it, but I have to admit it is VERY smart advertising money spend (IE, almost none), and it will probably work with me because I will probably back this stupid game I will never play*.

*The Bards tale is actually a pretty sweet game, so this reboot will probably be great too, I just wont have much time to play it.

This about sums up my thoughts completely. ;)

My first thought was "Well, I guess I have to back Bard's Tale now" followed by "Oh god, how will I get the other 3 copies" followed by "there's going to be some backlash from this." There are aspects I like and dislike about the whole thing, but I don't think it's a terrible thing overall. The collector in me is crying at all the AAs that exist that I need to collect, but I see the value in this for Hex overall. That's a lot of essentially free exposure.

KingGabriel
06-10-2015, 10:51 PM
Pay $25, get the AA, get a free game.
Where's the issue :P

Its called feedback - the same thing happened with the T-shirts and sleeves. The sleeves part was heavily vetoed for the exact same reasons we have been hearing here. Cory decided against adding sleeves.

If the majority dislikes something, it should be something to learn from, even if only for the future.

That was mostly due to location exclusivity/trouble with shipping.

Superjuice
06-10-2015, 11:18 PM
Just snagged a $20 tier when one opened up, had planned on backing anyways, nice perk!

Azzer
06-10-2015, 11:48 PM
Nevermind.

Azzer
06-10-2015, 11:57 PM
Pay $25, get the AA, get a free game.
Where's the issue :P

That was mostly due to location exclusivity/trouble with shipping.

The issue for me is that i rarely have any money in real life due to a lot of medical bills and rent.

Though i do not mind how they are doing the AA, i am just sad i will not be able to actually provide some support through this.

KingGabriel
06-10-2015, 11:59 PM
The issue for me is that i rarely have any money in real life due to a lot of medical bills and rent.

Though i do not mind how they are doing the AA, i am just sad i will not be able to actually provide some support through this.

Direct people you know to the KS maybe?

Patrigan
06-11-2015, 12:04 AM
So, I don't mind AAs being part of a cross-game promotion.

I was (and still am) adamantly against exclusive mercenaries for promotional use. Basically, for me it's simple: If it has unique ingame powers, then it's bad. If it's purely cosmetic, then YES! By all means, get new players in the game using these promotions.

This is also a case of value, something which i'm generally not a fan off. But Cosmetic stuff can be valuable. It does not block any actual gameplay. These cards will probably sell for quite a bit of plat on the AH, especially further down the road.

Vorsa
06-11-2015, 12:08 AM
Woo hoo - a new Bard's Tale!
(I obviously don't pay enough attention to gaming sites if this is common knowledge.)

Thoughts:

#1 Cross-promotion for games I'll actually like = fine by me.

#2 A whole playset of AA's - sign me up! *signs self up*

#3 That looks like a very fun card; I confess I'm not a fan of unique troops in general, but that's a pretty big bonus for trying a themed deck.

#4 Is this going to be the 1st AA outside of KS & VIP to be of a non-common card? Obviously the devs can assign any rarity to anything, but as an interesting unique troop it would stick out as a common.

bootlace
06-11-2015, 12:21 AM
I don't mind at all how aggressively or frequently Hex Ent make use of this tactic. These are afterall entirely cosmetic. If this ends up bringing quite a bit new attention to the game then by all means go nuts and keep doing it. Dedicated collectors are essentially the only ones to 'suffer' but even they should realize that the more players play Hex, the more their investments into Hex are appreciating in value. So while they may have to spend $20, their collection should appreciate by a larger sum in the long term. The playerbase of this game will vary greatly on the amount of marketing that's done to promote it so free opportunities like this should be seized as long as integrity is not compromised.

Voormas
06-11-2015, 12:21 AM
I was going to back this game earlier but I needed to do a password reset on my Kickstarter account so I couldn't be bothered - seeing the AA got me over my inherent laziness ;)

In general I am not against this kind of thing because it looks like it has been handled in the best possible way - as always by you guys! Keep up the good work!

KingGabriel
06-11-2015, 12:37 AM
#4 Is this going to be the 1st AA outside of KS & VIP to be of a non-common card? Obviously the devs can assign any rarity to anything, but as an interesting unique troop it would stick out as a common.
The rares and legendaries in client but not obtainable yet are possibly in chests.

bootlace
06-11-2015, 12:44 AM
There are a bunch of WoF and convention AAs that are non-common. This will 99% be a rare.

Fateanomaly
06-11-2015, 01:07 AM
I think it isn't too bad. The game seems good and the buy in isn't too bad for a full play set. There will probably be many backers that would not be playing Hex so we might even get the AAs for cheap.

Erukk
06-11-2015, 01:12 AM
I have some mixed feelings on this, so im not really sure how to feel about it.

1) The cross promotion is good.

2) This sets a bad precedent in that a Hex related product can only be gotten through other non-Hex related means.

3) I really don't care about AA, and the only time I do, it's only about their sell price when I get one through happenstance.

I think ill go to the slightly left of "Meh". This doesn't effect me at all, but I can see how it might be bad for those OCD completionists collectors.

Kroan
06-11-2015, 01:14 AM
I can only applaud this initiative. As long as you get a playset (already confirmed), these kind of things are more than fine with me and would not mind to see this more often! :)

Besides being a great option for us to get an awesome AA, it's also a good way to get Hex a bit of publicity. 26.000+ people reading about Hex is nothing to sneeze at.

KingGabriel
06-11-2015, 01:25 AM
EDIT: Someone sent me wrong info. Disregard this post.

strawwmann
06-11-2015, 02:24 AM
#2 A whole playset of AA's - sign me up! *signs self up*

or Bard's Tale gets 12.5K Hex players snapping up full play sets of the promotional AA :)

Gwaer
06-11-2015, 02:33 AM
Likely, both?

Ertzi
06-11-2015, 02:38 AM
I am not a fan of this tactic, as I do not like anything that has a time limit or creates a rush to get the cheaper tiers. I also do not like to be forced to go outside HEX to get HEX related stuff. However, this is still a million times better than Con exclusives. Some reasons why I can stomach this:

1) Cory already stated that this is not something that is going to happen a lot in the future.
2) I fu**ing love Baldur's Gate & Fallout series, so I am not too angry to back Brian Fargo.
3) Brian backed HEX with a huge sum and thus directly helped it come to pass, which I respect.
4) I will probably never play Bard's Tale IV, but I love the passion to make old-school RPGs.

So, taking all this into account, I backed the game for $25. That was my first Kickstarter pledge ever. I consider this money well spent. Cory's friends are my friends too. That is how much I trust his judgement at this point.

I still hope these kinds of promotions will not become the norm, but I will weigh everything on a case-by-case basis. This was not too bad actually. At least I can procure the AAs directly without having to travel. Also, rewarding a full playset for one pledge is pretty fair.

Please notify us much earlier next time though. I just happened to stumble into this by accident by reading the forums. I expect all promotions with a time limit to give a lot more warning in the future. For example, I had no chance to get the $20 tier, because there was no notification of this beforehand. I do not think it is fair to expect people to follow other games to be able to get HEX stuff.

All in all, I can handle this particular cross-promotion, but I am a bit wary about what this means for the future.

Ertzi
06-11-2015, 02:43 AM
Now comes the next question: do you guys think it would be worth it to snap up a few playsets to sell in the future? I am bad at estimating the value of such cards. Will they definitely go up in value, or are they dirt cheap because of the volume? I really have no idea.

Salverus
06-11-2015, 02:44 AM
is this the first card with beer in the artwork? I like it
also no treshhold requirement and not an artifact either. Is this something new?

@Ertzi, in general card prices of AA will only go up as time passes by as there will never be made more of them. However if everyone thinks like that, there will be a large amount of extra AAs hoarded with the sole purpose to resell for profit later, if that happens, price will barely increase because people will get impatient and sell it for the same price they bought it for a year ago.

Patrigan
06-11-2015, 03:00 AM
also no treshhold requirement and not an artifact either. Is this something new?

This was bound to happen, not everything faction neutral can be an artifact.

sukebe
06-11-2015, 03:03 AM
So let's look at levels here of how this COULD have gone and I'll touch on each scenario.

Hex releases a powerful new (pvp) card available only through this kickstarter. Ok, I'm out. Collection is sold asap and I'm done. That sort of things signals "if it's going to make us money we're doing it consequences be damned."

Hex releases a powerful new (pve) card available only though this kickstarter. Alright well, at least the competitive landscape is still intact but if this becomes a trend I'm heading for the hills.

Hex releases an unusable piece of cute fluff available only through this kickstarter. Basically the same reaction as scenario #2.

Hex releases an AA of an existing card available only through the kickstarter. Alright, if AWARENESS is your goal why is it kickstarter exclusive? I'm now aware of this kickstarter. Mission accomplished. I can buy it or not based on my desires FOR THAT GAME not for the card. So.... why are you making me give someone money I may not want to? It's a cause for worry and something to watch for but not something I'd leave the game over.

Hex releases an AA available through kickstarter or buyable in game. Great. I look forward to it. Wonderful plan. Hope it goes well for everyone.

Companies often do the wrong thing for the right reasons. It doesn't mean they're bad, greedy, or stupid. But at some point you have to consider that their priorities may not be aligned with yours. Most of those scenarios above would be a signal to me that Hex's priorities weren't aligned with mine. However, I'd be relatively surprised if it wasn't the last scenario and you'll be able to earn or buy the card in game somehow.

Why in the world would making the cards purchasable in game (I assume you mean for plat, as gold seems rediculous for something like this) when the point of this collaboration seems to be "you scratch my back, I scratch yours". I fail to see any reason to include a purchase option that does not help the makers of the video game in the kickstarter.

I said this before but I will say it again because I feel it is important: this is an AA of a card that will be available through normal in game channels (I assume anyway, it has the AA set symbol after all) so this cannot possibly affect how you play the game unless you allow it to. I want all the AA cards (and sleeves, and mercs) as well and am happy that they are willing to do promotions like this as it does nothing to hurt Hex, helps another (non-competing) game company, and gives us more fun art to collect.

Erukk
06-11-2015, 03:09 AM
is this the first card with beer in the artwork? I like it

It's not all that surprising. Lore-wise, the humans of Carloth didn't use any sort of magic before the arrival of Hex. It was only after that did they start using the Hexing gems (Diamonds/Sapphires/Rubies) to do so. That means some humans (and probably some other creatures and races) could be considered "colorless".

jonsnow2000
06-11-2015, 04:11 AM
Now comes the next question: do you guys think it would be worth it to snap up a few playsets to sell in the future? I am bad at estimating the value of such cards. Will they definitely go up in value, or are they dirt cheap because of the volume? I really have no idea.

I'm 100% convinced that everyone who buys these through the Kickstarter and is ONLY interested in the cards (and their value), will be very disappointed when they get released, because they will be thrown onto the AH by the truckloads. By the time the Kickstarter ends, there will be about 50k+ users who will get 4 cards each, so 200k+ copys of these cards, far more compared to the 2-20k of the usual AA cards.

So if you don't mind giving a donation of 25$ or actually wanna play the Bard's Tale game, go ahead and pledge to the Kickstarter. If you are only interested in the value of the cards, wait till you can scoop them up on the AH for small amounts of Gold or Plat.

As far as the longterm value goes? I compare them to those "Windborne Acolyte" and "Reactor Bot" AAs from the Wheels of Fate. They drop in so much abundance that they are near worthless in the shortterm, and even if you are in for the long run, they will never be worth much, maybe 2-3 $ per piece in a few years.

Kroan
06-11-2015, 04:22 AM
I'm 100% convinced that everyone who buys these through the Kickstarter and is ONLY interested in the cards (and their value), will be very disappointed when they get released, because they will be thrown onto the AH by the truckloads. By the time the Kickstarter ends, there will be about 50k+ users who will get 4 cards each, so 200k+ copys of these cards, far more compared to the 2-20k of the usual AA cards. I think you under-estimate the amount of codes that will either go unused, or used and after that forgotten in accounts.

I think you will pretty much pay between 300-500 plat for these. So if you want these cards, you might as well back the game and get a little extra out of it.

Poetic
06-11-2015, 04:36 AM
Seems like a good business plan for Hex. Then again I'm not the type that has to have every copy of every card, especially PVE.

ossuary
06-11-2015, 04:40 AM
I don't have a problem with CZE doing this kind of thing with cosmetic-only items, as long as they don't do it too often. Cory already said it was a special circumstance, so I'm fairly confident that's exactly what will happen. I don't have any particular interest in this specific Kickstarter (I use Kickstarter a LOT less than I used to and tend to just wait for a game to come out and see the actual reviews before putting money into it), but I'll definitely try to snag some codes from someone who was already backing the KS anyway and is not interested in TCGs. :)

Ertzi
06-11-2015, 05:17 AM
I am mostly backing for convenience and for the knowledge of theoretically owning a playset already. I really can't handle the anxiety of not knowing if I can get a good deal in the future. That is why I often pay through my nose to get some things immediately. Now I can sleep well again :) In context, this is not a huge sum to cough up for peace of mind. I might hit myself later for not waiting, if the cards are worth like 100 plat or something, but meh, now I don't ever have to think about them again, and that to me is priceless.

RamzaBehoulve
06-11-2015, 05:21 AM
Totally cool with it, I really don't care what they do with cosmetic. As long as the normal card itself is available to everyone else through booster packs, it's fine.

As with all cosmetic efforts in all games, it's your own damn problem as a player if you feel you absolutely must have it.

incitfulmonk21
06-11-2015, 05:30 AM
I am unsure why some are angry. AA's are typically expensive. You can still buy the AA's for relatively cheap compared to some others and a little more expensively then some as well.

It is an AA they are suppose to be expensive that's what gives value. If you don't like bards tale. Don't want the game just look at it like you are buying them. The same as any other AA.

Gencon AA's will be available once a year through playing but after that they to will become more expensive as time progress's. You can't say hey I am fine with exclusivity in scenario A but not B when they are in fact quite comparable in cost and ease of obtainment.

As a personal note who doesn't want Bard's Tale it is a frakin awesome series. I had already backed well before this.

Salverus
06-11-2015, 05:36 AM
Also why does everyone see an AA and wants 4 copies of it immediately?
I need to see the original non AA version first, then i can decide for myself how much of an improvement the AA is, to see if it is worth buying.

desk
06-11-2015, 05:51 AM
this was not on my radar but I checked it out due the aa tweet. It looks like it will be a good game and you can kick start it for half off, I love me a value. I didn't kick start it just for the aa but they are a nice bonus and it let me know the ks was out there. I personally don't really care much about getting all the aa's. The sleeves being only available at cons annoys me a lot more.

Xenavire
06-11-2015, 05:56 AM
I need to see the original non AA version first, then i can decide for myself how much of an improvement the AA is, to see if it is worth buying.

Hex set the bar on AA's very freaking high, so its almost always a good idea. Plus the resell value is generally enough to make early investments a good idea, even if the art blows.

incitfulmonk21
06-11-2015, 05:58 AM

Plus you get a playset with backing at $20+ according to Cory so you only need to back once.

vickrpg
06-11-2015, 06:43 AM
is this the link to this kickstarter?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv
I didn't see anyone else post it.

plaguedealer
06-11-2015, 07:02 AM
So this gives hex another avenue to bring in new players? I dont have a problem with it at all, smart marketing imo.

yoyogod
06-11-2015, 07:18 AM
Seeing this card makes me really hope we get our Kickstarter PVE cards soon, because I really want to combo this guy with Princess Cory.

Xenavire
06-11-2015, 07:23 AM
Seeing this card makes me really hope we get our Kickstarter PVE cards soon, because I really want to combo this guy with Princess Cory.

Army of Myth is another option.

LNQ
06-11-2015, 08:17 AM
I wonder what rarity the original is considering the potential amount of copies generated.

RCDv57
06-11-2015, 08:32 AM
I can only really see myself liking this card in a Triumvirate deck.
I might pick up a couple non AA's if they go for cheap.

Lafoote
06-11-2015, 08:39 AM
I've bought all kinds of books, magazines, and other nonsense for actual exclusive cards before. This isn't even that. It's just an AA. Don't get upset until you have to buy a Shake Weight to get an exclusive card that will NOT be readily available in game.

Mokog
06-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Just wait till we hit big time and we get a magazine sleeve or AA in a non-english speaking market. What if a French magazine sets up that level of promotion? Well I guess we may need some small investments into Euros when that day comes :-)

Lucky for us Hex/Gameforge has been excellent with localization efforts.

israel.kendall
06-11-2015, 10:50 AM
I wonder what rarity the original is considering the potential amount of copies generated.

This is what I'm wondering as well.

juzamjedi
06-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Awesome cross promotion for people like me. I grew up playing role playing adventure games and this looks right up my alley. I'm happy to support that other game. And as others have said some people will kickstart Bard's Tale and decide to check out Hex after they receive their AA.

For the people that don't want to Kickstart: don't worry about it. This card seems pretty marginal as far as power level since you don't typically jam your decks full of unique cards.

Miwa
06-11-2015, 11:31 AM
I hope Hex releases so many impossible-to-get AA cards that nobody with reasonable means can ever hope to collect them all. Then all the gnashing of teeth over AA exclusives can just be ignored. People should stop obsessing over what other people have, unless it's something you need to play.

You don't need AA cards to play the game, they are pure cosmetics. Yes I'd like to have them all (I do have a GK + Collector's KS :P) but I'd much rather see Hex do as much marketing and promotion as they can, as that's a heck of a lot better than me having having all the things.

Xexist
06-11-2015, 11:43 AM
I hope Hex releases so many impossible-to-get AA cards that nobody with reasonable means can ever hope to collect them all. Then all the gnashing of teeth over AA exclusives can just be ignored. People should stop obsessing over what other people have, unless it's something you need to play.

You don't need AA cards to play the game, they are pure cosmetics. Yes I'd like to have them all (I do have a GK + Collector's KS :P) but I'd much rather see Hex do as much marketing and promotion as they can, as that's a heck of a lot better than me having having all the things.

Such a bad idea.... if it was Úverly`impossible to get them all, people would stop trying. Collecting AA`s SHOULD be acheivable (even if expensive)

Xenavire
06-11-2015, 11:43 AM

They have sleeves for 'impossible to get'. Nothing else in the game should be treated like that.

MatWith1T
06-11-2015, 11:52 AM
They have sleeves for 'impossible to get'. Nothing else in the game should be treated like that.

Not saying you're right or wrong, but what's your rationale that sleeves should be the only thing that should be treated like that?

israel.kendall
06-11-2015, 11:52 AM
You don't need AA cards to play the game, they are pure cosmetics. .

You are wrong, through my extensive testing I have found that AA cards directly effect Kismet's luck algorithm. My Extinction clutch topdecks occur more frequently with AA's, for example. The results are substantial and irrefutable. Here is a diagram (of something):

http://i.imgur.com/Gj4PCku.png

hex_colin
06-11-2015, 11:54 AM

These AA are not impossible to get. They'll be widely promoted (on one or more Friday updates) and all anyone has to do is spend the money.

More importantly, and as I've pointed out previously, they'll most certainly contribute to the growth of the game without putting anyone at any sort of competitive disadvantage. A win for HEX. A win for some other game... ;)

hex_colin
06-11-2015, 11:55 AM
You are wrong, through my extensive testing I have found that AA cards directly effect Kismet's luck algorithm. My Extinction clutch topdecks occur more frequently with AA's, for example. The results are substantial and irrefutable. Here is a diagram (of something):

HA, we use a diagram very similar to that to convince (frighten ;)) our customers into using our integrated product suite.

israel.kendall
06-11-2015, 11:59 AM
HA, we use a diagram very similar to that to convince (frighten ;)) our customers into using our integrated product suite.

Diagrams are quite powerful indeed.

Xenavire
06-11-2015, 12:00 PM
These AA are not impossible to get. They'll be widely promoted (on one or more Friday updates) and all anyone has to do is spend the money.

More importantly, and as I've pointed out previously, they'll most certainly contribute to the growth of the game without putting anyone at any sort of competitive disadvantage. A win for HEX. A win for some other game... ;)

I wasn't trying to imply it was the case this time, I just disagree with Miwa. Anything tradeable should have a reasonable availability to those actively playing at the time it is set loose.

Thats why Gencon events will be repeated ingame. And this particular case doesn't worry me when its a playset per purchase.

Xexist
06-11-2015, 12:00 PM

I totally am convinced! What does it do?

israel.kendall
06-11-2015, 12:14 PM
I totally am convinced! What does it do?

That is what it does, it convinces people to buy stuffs lol

vickrpg
06-11-2015, 12:26 PM
That is what it does, it convinces people to buy stuffs lol

I think the "it" referred to was the "integrated product software" Colin spoke of.

Lefto
06-11-2015, 12:40 PM

So, are we to expect to see some sort of Highlands Magus clone somewhere in BT4? :P

Bombs
06-11-2015, 12:53 PM
So, are we to expect to see some sort of Highlands Magus clone somewhere in BT4? :P

Its an exclusive playable character in Half Life: 3

Lafoote
06-11-2015, 01:02 PM

KS collector backer AA are already in that category. Your argument is invalid.

Xenavire
06-11-2015, 01:11 PM
KS collector backer AA are already in that category. Your argument is invalid.

It was equal opportunity at the time. Some missed out, for various reasons, but it was fair at the time (same as any other perk.)

All I am advocating is equal opportunity, and so far every AA has been that way (barring Gencon, which are being re-released sometime). I don't want any to be 'impossible' to get unless its a unique reward card (world champ, ect.)

If the cards were suddenly being given out in a 50 issue print run of a alterante cover comic book that you could only buy in person from the head offices, or something ludicrous (and yes, hyoerbole galore) then that wouldn't be OK at all. As I said, that is what sleeves are for.

I trust HexEnt to never go balls off the wall with anything tradeable.

Saeijou
06-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Well... "equal"... i dont know...

if i want the producer sleeves i definitly wasn't equal with colin... i just dont have the money!

and i still want the buccaneer AA sleeves, but it seems impossible for me to get them... i would buy them... but don't see offers ;)

Xenavire
06-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Well... "equal"... i dont know...

if i want the producer sleeves i definitly wasn't equal with colin... i just dont have the money!

and i still want the buccaneer AA sleeves, but it seems impossible for me to get them... i would buy them... but don't see offers ;)

Lack of a spare 10k is a common problem, so its pretty equal. ;)

As for the sleeves, just ask around, and enter the blood cup if you can. Those door prizes could help.

EntropyBall
06-11-2015, 01:58 PM

I couldn't agree more, but the Hex forums seem to draw the most neurotic collectors of the Hex community. 99% of which will NEVER collect a playset of all the cards in the game, and yet will threaten to swear off the game simply because they can't have everything without buying some of it on Ebay.

Keep finding creative ways to make money CZE. These sorts of cosmetic cross-promotions that don't in any way affect game-play are a great way to maybe get some more paying players interested in Hex.

EntropyBall
06-11-2015, 02:02 PM

Good old LabVIEW. Sadly my job currently is taking a piece of software that looks almost exactly like this and trying to add functionality to it.

MatWith1T
06-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Good old LabVIEW. Sadly my job currently is taking a piece of software that looks almost exactly like this and trying to add functionality to it.

I'm no engineer, but I suggest putting the functionality in one of those empty white spots and then draw a line to it. :)

Gwaer
06-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Just add a new layer on top of all those other things, and make sure you're the only one that can decipher the top layer. Job security.

Miwa
06-11-2015, 03:04 PM
No, people will still try to get what they can. Unless you think everyone stopped collecting other TCG cards when some became really hard to get, or there are so many that it requires a huge bankroll to even try....

PureVapes
06-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Brilliant marketing strategy for both sides. I guess I shouldn't be surprised people are upset, but it will create a lot of interest in Hex both in the short term and in the long term (when the AAs are given out to backers who haven't played Hex). When they log in, they'll basically have a chunk of plat waiting for them but it will stimulate the economy because trading / AHing will be a necessity for them.

I wasn't trying to imply it was the case this time, I just disagree with Miwa. Anything tradeable should have a reasonable availability to those actively playing at the time it is set loose.

Thats why Gencon events will be repeated ingame. And this particular case doesn't worry me when its a playset per purchase.

When the AA is set loose, it should be widely available as a lot of n00bs log in with nothing to their name but this AA and just want to turn it into plat after realizing it's useless in a starter deck.

knightofeffect
06-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Man, this thread has just been markedly good news for me...

I had backed Bard's Tale independently of anything Cory has said about it.

What a good day.

Skirovik
06-11-2015, 09:30 PM
I'm happy with this, provided it's a playset as stated. If just single.. not as happy, lol.

KingGabriel
06-11-2015, 10:55 PM

According to that data, baby yeti AA's increase your win rate to 100%. Fascinating.

poptasticboy
06-12-2015, 07:57 AM
Ooo fun! I already backed this on day 1 (having previously backed Torment: Tides of Numenara - I heard about it through that.) This is a nice added bonus!

Vorpal
06-12-2015, 12:43 PM
I think this is a great idea. Free promotion for hex!

Vorsa
06-12-2015, 01:09 PM
KS mails for Bard's Tale should be arriving in people's inboxes - relevant part for Hex fans:

HEX TCG
Our friends and colleagues have been a huge help in getting this Kickstarter off to the fast start it has, so thanks to all the Kickstarter and other campaigns that helped spread the word! A few years ago, Brian backed the very successful HEX MMO Trading Card Game, one of the many great success stories on Kickstarter. His backing level allowed him to a create vanity card, but then Cory Jones from HEX contacted Brian with the idea of hey, why not share this card with the backers of your upcoming campaign. After all, it is you who make my games possible!
So here we are: as another FREE promotion, all The Bardís Tale IV backers a tier $20 or above will receive a play set (4) of the AA version of the Exiled Bard cards. Youíll receive the codes for these a few weeks after the end of our Kickstarter. This promotion is one of mutual friendship between two Kickstarter, and I hope fans of both our products enjoy it as such!

N.B. End of Kickstarter = 28 days from now.

schild
06-12-2015, 01:17 PM
I would argue the relevant part is this:

His backing level allowed him to a create vanity card, but then Cory Jones from HEX contacted Brian with the idea of hey, why not share this card with the backers of your upcoming campaign. After all, it is you who make my games possible!

Because I know vanity card holders that were not given the opportunity to profit off their vanity card.

#NotAllBackers

dogmod
06-12-2015, 01:23 PM

Because I know vanity card holders that were not given the opportunity to profit off their vanity card.

#NotAllBackers

#LifeIsNotFair

Just because something is given to someone else, it does not mean you have less. Very important life lesson.

the_artic_one
06-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Hey Cory, want to give me some codes for my kickstarter?

Maybe I should have backed a higher tier...

schild
06-12-2015, 01:28 PM
#LifeIsNotFair

Just because something is given to someone else, it does not mean you have less. Very important life lesson.

No, life isn't fair. I'm the first one to argue this in almost any scenario.

But backers of any single tier on a Kickstarter campaign are in fact supposed to be treated equally. That's how tiers work.

Hatts
06-12-2015, 01:32 PM
But backers of any single tier on a Kickstarter campaign are in fact supposed to be treated equally. That's how tiers work.

I'm sure the other producer tier backers are resting easier knowing your going to bat for them by whinging on an internet forum.

dogmod
06-12-2015, 01:33 PM
No, life isn't fair. I'm the first one to argue this in almost any scenario.

No the people in each tier are supposed to get the rewards they backed for. Again. Someone getting something does not mean anyone else got anything less or will get anything less than what they were promised.

schild
06-12-2015, 01:40 PM
No the people in each tier are supposed to get the rewards they backed for. Again. Someone getting something does not mean anyone else got anything less or will get anything less than what they were promised.

k

I'm sure the other producer tier backers are resting easier knowing your going to bat for them by whinging on an internet forum.

In what world do you think I'm going to bat for producer tier? I'm just wondering, as I went multiple pro/grand king, not Producer, because I understand where "fun" is in games.

dogmod
06-12-2015, 01:44 PM
k

In what world do you think I'm going to bat for producer tier? I'm just wondering, as I went multiple pro/grand king, not Producer, because I understand where "fun" is in games.

I will take that as agreement. People who can't admit defeat often just stop arguing when they have lost.

I would be interested if you direct me to the kickstarter clause that states that makers of games cannot give things or run cross promotion with people who backed their game unless they also offer that to everyone else in that same tier.

Zophie
06-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Sort of off topic, but this has been bugging me since I first saw the AA card... That red haired lady featured next to the bard looks exactly like one of my ex-girlfriends. Exact same hair style including the bangs and color, same eyes and expression... same figure... it's uncanny and a bit eerie to be honest. I'm actually really curious now where the artist got their inspiration

schild
06-12-2015, 02:02 PM
your facebook page

:creepin:

Incindium
06-12-2015, 02:04 PM
So cool... I just backed this at the $25 range and then a couple minutes later a $20 early bird spot opened up and I was able to snag it.

TOOT
06-12-2015, 02:16 PM

#NotAllBackers

Don't worry.

If you can generate 5 million+ of revenue in the same vertical as Hex like Fargo did while reaching out to over 25,000 potential new customers, I'm sure Cory would work something out with the other vanity card holders. I'd bet this would hold true for any slacker backers out there too.

Warrender
06-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Sort of off topic, but this has been bugging me since I first saw the AA card... That red haired lady featured next to the bard looks exactly like one of my ex-girlfriends. Exact same hair style including the bangs and color, same eyes and expression... same figure... it's uncanny and a bit eerie to be honest. I'm actually really curious now where the artist got their inspiration

If it's a vanity card, it wouldn't surprise me if it was his wife/GF.

israel.kendall
06-12-2015, 02:37 PM
According to that data, baby yeti AA's increase your win rate to 100%. Fascinating.

I've done more studies since the discovery of the Yeti AA parameter. It led to me finding a previously unknown bardic subroutine. This bardic subroutine taps into Kismet's Luck Algorithm (KLA) and effects other cards in the deck via a gene splicing sequence. It seems like a powerful new technology indeed. Here are some charts:

http://i.imgur.com/f55wDoP.png

zadies
06-12-2015, 02:42 PM
I think your assuming that the only level that Fargo backed at was the AA card tier.... also he created the entire kick it forward movement and thus this card being in his campaign is really just Hex playing along with that movement instead of contributing fiscally.

hex_colin
06-12-2015, 02:57 PM

Wait, and I don't understand where the "fun" in games is?

Stop trolling.

Thrawn
06-12-2015, 03:00 PM

Stop trolling.

Disagreeing with someone doesn't automatically make them a troll.

hex_colin
06-12-2015, 03:01 PM

100% guaranteed you'd be the first to back him up. So predictable. :P

Xexist
06-12-2015, 03:01 PM

Because Schild is President in charge of who has fun in games?

Thrawn
06-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Because Schild is President in charge of who has fun in games?

Where did I say that?

100% guaranteed you'd be the first to back him up. So predictable. :P

Stop trolling.

stiii
06-12-2015, 03:10 PM

So you think telling other people what counts as fun is perfectly reasonable? Your position here is so weak it is absurd.

schild
06-12-2015, 03:27 PM

Stop trolling.

First of all, I wasn't even talking about you. Second, I'm 100% sure you wouldn't be able to identify trolling if it smacked you up side the head. I don't troll. Trolling takes effort. It's an art. Third, what I typed was a value proposition of producer vs the other free-draft-for-life-providing tiers. If producer gave free drafts for life at a clip of 1x per every $500 put into it, Producer would've been the tier to get, and I would have gotten one.

It's not all about you, Colin.

RCDv57
06-12-2015, 03:56 PM
Now I'm here performing for you!
If you know the words, you can join in too!
Put your hand together, if you wanna clap
As I take you through this Entrath Rap!

Hex!
Shards of Fate!

I'm the leader of the bunch, you know me well.
I'm finally back to derail some threads!

S117
06-12-2015, 04:15 PM
So I think the free AA sleeves rekt everyone complaining about having to buy into Bard's Tale to get stuff...
Sure you can get *MORE* stuff by backing the BT KS but everyone is getting something for free...

As for the people complaining about other Producer tiers not getting an AA specifically for their pledge understand what this is for Hex. It's a lot of advertising for the cost of one AA art piece. Exiled Bard is already in Armies so it isn't an exclusive card they have to design and code specifically for this KS. They cook up this art, Fargo gets extra stuff to entice people to back BT, Hex gets a lot of free advertising. Sounds like a win all around.

Furthermore technically speaking this has nothing to do with the Producer (or whatever level Fargo backed at) tier rewards. Fargo is getting his vanity card as a normal card in Armies. Promise made. Promise kept. Now AFTER that promise is fulfilled Cory goes and pitches his idea of the AA card for BT's KS backers...technically speaking this is an entirely different deal independent of the KS reward.

WWKnight
06-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Everyone needs to shut up so Colin and Schilds can really get into it. Colin has logic as his ally, but schilds has corrosive wit. No matter what the outcome, it will be the audience who truly wins.

/popcorn

Vibraxus
06-12-2015, 05:00 PM
Havent read thread, but I see a few people who dislike this on page one. I think it is very cool, and am not "worried" before you kill me, let me explain.

1.This AA card was created by a legit Hex backer who backed at the appropriate level to get a vanity card.
2.This Hex backer happens to be a very well known game designer.
3.The article says, or implies very seriously that this will pretty much be the only time this happens
4.Id have backed Bards Tale anyway. (Had to throw that in there just for giggles)

Xenavire
06-12-2015, 05:11 PM
Havent read thread, but I see a few people who dislike this on page one. I think it is very cool, and am not "worried" before you kill me, let me explain.

1.This AA card was created by a legit Hex backer who backed at the appropriate level to get a vanity card.
2.This Hex backer happens to be a very well known game designer.
3.The article says, or implies very seriously that this will pretty much be the only time this happens
4.Id have backed Bards Tale anyway. (Had to throw that in there just for giggles)

Most people chilled out after we heard you get a playset, and when we realised there will be so many that the cards will be quite easy to obtain.

Only a few are still having legitimate problems with this, and that is their opinion.

RCDv57
06-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Everyone needs to shut up so Colin and Schilds can really get into it. Colin has logic as his ally, but schilds has corrosive wit. No matter what the outcome, it will be the audience who truly wins.

/popcorn

Either that or bad things happen and everyone walks away from this with a biter taste in their mouth.

WWKnight
06-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Either that or bad things happen and everyone walks away from this with a biter taste in their mouth.

You're completely right :( My popcorn had nowhere near enough butter :(

ForgedSol
06-12-2015, 11:23 PM
Cool. Just read all the details in the update. Seems like a great idea to me.

Selanius
06-12-2015, 11:28 PM
I love this cross-promotion. The exposure HEX is getting is worth way more to me than the sadness in my heart that this card is only available to me spending real $$$.

strawwmann
06-13-2015, 12:46 AM
Most people chilled out after we heard you get a playset, and when we realised there will be so many that the cards will be quite easy to obtain.

So...
will this be the first Hex card where the Regular Art version will cost more than the AA on the AH, or are there already others ;)

Gwaer
06-13-2015, 12:52 AM
More than likely the regular art version will just be dirt cheap. I don't it'll be worth more than the AA. They'll just both be worth very very little.

RanaDunes
06-13-2015, 01:53 AM
I don't like this move to be honest.
Do I have to keep track of kickstarter campaigns and buy games I'm not interested in to complete my collection?
That's just sad...

Gwaer
06-13-2015, 01:55 AM
Or you can buy them on the AH... In game... With plat or gold... It is a trading card game, these will be traded. You don't have to back this kickstarter to have the opportunity to collect this AA.

S117
06-13-2015, 02:02 AM
or you can buy them on the ah... In game... With plat or gold... It is a trading card game, these will be traded. You don't have to back this kickstarter to have the opportunity to collect this aa.

qft

Sorveris
06-13-2015, 07:35 AM
Guys, you do know that the 'promo' part of promo cards stands for PROMOTIONAL, right?

I'm not saying that this whole promo thing is ideal for many Hexxers, but this is LITERALLY EXACTLY the type of thing promos exist for. And while this style of promotion does have some flaws, I'm glad that Cory is the kind of guy who supports his community, AKA independent/kickstarted games. Especially when this is about a backer who supported Hex in the first place.

nicetodd
06-14-2015, 05:02 AM
Will trade two of these for two chances with Uru. Kthx bai

MasterN64
06-14-2015, 12:25 PM
I for one see this as the guys behind Hex supporting their kickstarter backers. Sure its a little shaky as far as if its a good thing or a bad thing but they wanted to pay back some of the favor to someone that supported them. Thats a good reason.

Fyren
06-14-2015, 01:01 PM
I just think it needs to be a little more prominent on the Bard's Tale KS page. Or, like, mentioned anywhere at all. It's not cross-promotion if it doesn't exist.

Svenn
06-14-2015, 01:06 PM
I just think it needs to be a little more prominent on the Bard's Tale KS page. Or, like, mentioned anywhere at all. It's not cross-promotion if it doesn't exist.

It's in one of the updates. There was a whole section about it. Would be nice to have it mentioned on the main page somewhere.

Gwaer
06-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Anyone who backs will get an email about it. That's good promotion

israel.kendall
06-14-2015, 04:00 PM
Anyone who backs will get an email about it. That's good promotion

I agree. But I also agree that actually putting something about it on the main page would be good promotion as well. More people will read the main page of the kickstarter than will be in that email list.

Timlagor
06-15-2015, 09:50 AM
So I can buy 4AA cards for $20 and get a whole free computer game? :D

Vorpal
06-15-2015, 12:11 PM
I liked it when I first heard of it, I like it even more with the full explanation. It's win / win as far as I can see.

It's a promo AA of an existing card in the normal base set. AA is purely cosmetic, no advantage is being gained or lost here. It's not locked, so if you want it and don't want to back the KS, buy it on the AH. It gives a whole bunch of people who are potential hex players a reason to log in and check out the game. Free promotion for hex!

I'd like to see Hex do more of this stuff.

Conceptually it's really no different than handing out sleeves at various events.

Vorpal
06-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Such a bad idea.... if it was Úverly`impossible to get them all, people would stop trying. Collecting AA`s SHOULD be acheivable (even if expensive)

Well, there are two ways to look at this

1) It is already impossible for everyone who didn't pick a collector tier. There are going to be AA's released that you have no way of obtaining

2) It is possible, even if expensive, through the AH. As long as an AA card can be sold on the AH, anyone can obtain it.