PDA

View Full Version : Allegiance Gems

halfwing
06-11-2015, 05:17 AM
This was posted to the subreddit by someone else, and I thought it had merit so I'm posting it here.

Even though we're getting a whole new slew of champions, I haven't heard anything about them adding new Gems to the game any time soon. With the new Allegiance mechanic coming out, it seems like a good chance to release a new crop of gems tied to tribal allegiance instead of threshold. Here's an example:
Eye of Wakuna [Minor Gem] Coyotle Allegiance - Prophecy: When this troop enters play, the next troop in your deck gets +1/+1 and Flight.
This might not be the best example, but it could give a card like Mystic of the Tranquil Dream, which is a perennial 2/4 flier, some new utility... or create interesting combos with Time's Offering. I really like the customization options with Gems and Sockets, and hope they do more with them as the sets progress. Do you guys think we'll see anything like this for Armies of Myth/Set 4/Near Future?

It makes sense to start cycling in new gems alongside the champions, and as noted can lead to some cool new interactions by changing it up to use things other than just shards.

ossuary
06-11-2015, 05:33 AM
I do not believe we're getting any new gems yet, but we will absolutely be getting more in the future. The idea of gems that use something other than threshold for qualifying for their boosts is certainly interesting, but it may be too limited (i.e. you would only be able to use a coyotle socket on ~2 troops in the whole game).

Erukk
06-11-2015, 06:04 AM
Allegiance gems would be interesting to see happen, but like ossuary said, they would be a bit limited since you would have to build around the tribe to get full benefit. Though, I can definitely see non-threshold gems in the future. The tricky part would be getting the gem to feel like it belongs with it pertaining shard without having to rely on the threshold itself.

Wild(minor): If you control a card with the cost of 5 or greater: Crush

Blood(minor): If there are 5 or more troops in graveyard: Lethal

Sapphire(Major): While you have 6 or more cards in your hand: Unblockable

Something like that maybe?

Xenavire
06-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Allegiance gems would be interesting to see happen, but like ossuary said, they would be a bit limited since you would have to build around the tribe to get full benefit. Though, I can definitely see non-threshold gems in the future. The tricky part would be getting the gem to feel like it belongs with it pertaining shard without having to rely on the threshold itself.

Wild(minor): If you control a card with the cost of 5 or greater: Crush

Blood(minor): If there are 5 or more troops in graveyard: Lethal

Sapphire(Major): While you have 6 or more cards in your hand: Unblockable

Something like that maybe?

These sound very neat. I am not sure they need to have the threshold removed entirely though, since they wouldn't actually be blood/wild/saph, they would be colourless. But colourless gems actually sound like interesting designspace.

Could be manufactured by dwarves? Or a neutral third party, like the void society?

RCDv57
06-11-2015, 08:27 AM
I think that we could get a new cycle of gems for this set
Probably some sort of on death effects, to go with the theme of the new necrotic cards.

YourOpponent
06-11-2015, 11:49 AM
I think us getting new gems with set 3 or 4 is a possibility. Didn't they say that there would be new gems at the start of a new block? Or was that just for new champs?

IronPheasant
06-11-2015, 01:01 PM
The idea of gems that use something other than threshold for qualifying for their boosts is certainly interesting, but it may be too limited (i.e. you would only be able to use a coyotle socket on ~2 troops in the whole game).

Right, and the effect we're talking about is more of a Major socket kind of thing, where the amount of troops per set are 1 per shard and maybe an additional one in colorless. Guys who have historically trended a bit outside of the 8 core races (rootfather, battle beetle, blue wiggly dude, etc).

If you can jam a minor gem into an Effigy of Nulzann equivalent and it doesn't end up as the bare minimum you'd be willing to play in limited (something you wouldn't touch in constructed) then it's not a minor gem.