PDA

View Full Version : List of Words we Need Enunciation

WolfCrypt
06-14-2015, 09:27 PM
Okay I can't be the only guy who doesn't know how to pronounce a lot of races names or certain chars names who most likely be heavy contenders in PVE and lore. So I think we should compile a list of words that need proper enunciation for them.

Words I don't know how to pronounce and how I say them.

Coyotle: Ki-Yodel
Necrotic: Neck-crot-tic
Vennen: Ven-nin
Xenthoth: Zin-Tho-oath
Xylthnin: Zil-Then-in
Uranaaz: Er-A-naze
Phenteo: Pan-Theo
Zakiir: Zack-kear
Myrym: My-Rim
Kog’Tepetl: Kog-Tep-petal

Words I'm confident in Enunciation:

Ozawa: O-Zow-A
Shin'Hare: As its spelled.
Mon'Suun: Mon-Soon
Lixil: Lix-Ill

Please feel free to list your words so we can all be sure we know what we're saying.

RCDv57
06-14-2015, 10:07 PM
If you wanna be fancy
Shin'hare = chen-Hah-ree

What about Ardevaas, or Terrorantula.

WolfCrypt
06-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Well I listed all names I could remember

dmc349
06-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Coyotle: Ki-Yotel
Necrotic: Ne-crot-ick
Xenthoth: Zen-Toth
Uranaaz: Urr-A-naz
Phenteo: Fen -toe
Ozawa: O-Za-wa

Xylthnin: Zil-Then-in ? I do not know how to pronounce this one

Darimir
06-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Here's how I say them, I'm a native English speaker, but some of these words may have non-English derivations:

Coyotle: as written: coy ot l
Necrotic: Ne crot ic
Vennen: as written: Vennun
Xenthoth: Zen toth
Xylthnin: Zilth nin
Uranaaz: ooranaz
Phenteo: Fen tay o

I haven't changed them all, you're pretty spot on with most of them :)

WolfCrypt
06-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Yotel? Hmm that might be it.

poizonous
06-14-2015, 10:20 PM
Ky- Oh- del - Coyotle
Nuh Crah Tic - Necrotic
Zen Toth - Xentoth
Fen Tay Oh - Phenteo
Err En Oz - Uranaaz
Oh Za Wa - Ozawa

WolfCrypt
06-14-2015, 10:28 PM
I wonder if an employee will confirm which is which? Ity bugs me there's no official way to pronounce anything.

RCDv57
06-14-2015, 10:29 PM
Found some more names
I know there's still a bunch out there that I'm missing

Manabu
Cressida
Benvolio
Anana
Alyndra
Urgnock
Zorzym
Adamanth
Ushul
Xocoy
Vladisidalv
Polonius
Te’talca
Heulog
Izzik
Zoltog
Uzume
Eurig
Cerulea
Constantina
Gortezuma
Ashahsa
Xartaxis

WolfCrypt
06-14-2015, 10:30 PM
A few of those I don't see anyone having trouble pronouncing o.O

TOOT
06-14-2015, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't have thought anyone would ever have came up with this below, so who knows what people know afterall.

dmc349
06-14-2015, 10:40 PM
Gortezuma - Gort-eh-zum-a
Xartaxis - Zar-tax-is
Constantina - Con-stan-tina
Cerulea - Sir-ill-e-a
Eurig - U-rig
Uzume - U-zum-eh
Zoltog - Soul-tog
Te’talca - Ta-Tal -caa
Polonius - Pull-own-e-iss
Xocoy - Zaa-Coy
Ushul - Ush -ill
Adamanth - Adam-anth

israel.kendall
06-14-2015, 10:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7cW8PRm.png

Svenn
06-14-2015, 10:52 PM
Phenteo - Fen-Tee-Oh
Coyotle - kahy-oh-tul (Like Coyote, but with the le sound from "cattle")

Uruunaz hasn't been spelled right once in this thread. ;) Pretty sure it's either "Er-oo-naz" or "Oo-roo-naz".

Svenn
06-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Cerulea - Sir-ill-e-a
suh-roo-lee-uh n
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cerulean?s=ts

IronPheasant
06-14-2015, 11:22 PM
If you wanna be fancy
Shin'hare = chen-Hah-ree

Actually would be Shin Ha-ray if they used Japanese phonetics. Which would mean "New clear sky" or something.

But we all know we it's really the boring old two syabble white person way of saying it..... Unless...

There.... was.... voice acting (gasP) to discredit this theory!

(Am I the only one amused at how the two furry races in the game are vaguely racist?)

Gortezuma - Gort-eh-zum-a

Gor - ta - zu - ma

vickrpg
06-14-2015, 11:22 PM
I'm actually having much more trouble reading people's "pronunciation guides" than I am the names of the cards. Terribly lacking in standardization, and difficult for me to understand what you mean when you pronounce them.

in any case, because we are talking about English, and English is NOT a phonetic language, you can pronounce it however you want. if "ghoti" can be read the same way as "fish", "potato" can be read in different ways, and "caramel" can even change the number of syllable it's pronounced with it doesn't much matter if the "hare" Shin'Hare is pronounced like the animal "hare"[/hɛər/ same as 'hair'] or the Japanese(Which is always phonetic) pronunciation of "hare"[ /haɽe/ "ha" using the a in bar, "re", as in the e in step"

but because I'm a stickler for standardization, a linguist, and stubborn as an ass, I will always persist that my way pronouncing ways is the correct one.

They are bunnies, so hare like the animal is how it should be pronounced.

Edit: added this to avoid double post

Actually would be Shin Ha-ray if they used Japanese phonetics.
"e" in japanese isn't pronounced "ay" it's pronounced "eh". Only "ei" pronounced "ay" see the first e in sensei vs the second ei.

NOBLEReverter
06-14-2015, 11:24 PM
I think I can help.

Coyotle: Bay-bee Yeh-tee
Necrotic: Bay-bee Yeh-tee
Vennen: Bay-bee Yeh-tee
Xenthoth: Bay-bee Yeh-tee
Xylthnin: Bay-bee Yeh-tee
Uranaaz: Bay-bee Yeh-tee
Zakiir: Bay-bee Yeh-tee
Myrym: Bay-bee Yeh-tee
Kog’Tepetl: Bay-bee Yeh-tee

King Gabriel has informed me that these are all incredibly accurate pronunciations.

poizonous
06-14-2015, 11:28 PM
I think I can help.

NobleTroll is that you? =)

Mejis
06-14-2015, 11:37 PM
Okay I can't be the only guy who doesn't know how to pronounce a lot of races names or certain chars names who most likely be heavy contenders in PVE and lore. So I think we should compile a list of words that need proper enunciation for them.

Words I don't know how to pronounce and how I say them.

Coyotle: Ki-Yodel
Necrotic: Neck-crot-tic
Xylthnin: Zil-Then-in
Phenteo: Pan-Theo

Words I'm confident in Enunciation:

Ozawa: O-Zow-A
Shin'Hare: As its spelled.
Mon'Suun: Mon-Soon
Lixil: Lix-Ill

Please feel free to list your words so we can all be sure we know what we're saying.

Regarding your Phenteo pronunciation... Do you mind if I ask how you arrived at that? Also, is English your first language?

To me, Phenteo = Fen - tee - oh

I know that's not proper phonetic spelling, but that's how I'd write it out.

IronPheasant
06-14-2015, 11:44 PM
"e" in japanese isn't pronounced "ay" it's pronounced "eh". Only "ei" pronounced "ay" see the first e in sensei vs the second ei.

... wat. There is no "e" in Japanese . 0.99999.... = 1!

I did track down an actual example of the exact word in question being pronounced (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uKSwr-81NM&t=3m57s) in exchange for actual money, and lordy it was a pain. It's up to viewer to decide if it rhymes with sage which rhymes with soggy.

I think I can help.

Byakhee! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3hMKWR5eKA&list=PLR58Yo3somJCKgn6kgUDT_iIcXRbzu8MH&index=3)

Fyren
06-14-2015, 11:46 PM
I'm absolutely not confident about Shin'hare. When you pull it out of the Japanese phonemes from which it could be constructed you get "Shin - hah - rey," not "Shin - hair."

And for some reason the former pronunciation is funnier to me.

EDIT - Nevermind, on closer inspection this was addressed. Then what I'll do is lobby for the former pronunciation rather than point it out.

vickrpg
06-15-2015, 12:05 AM
... wat. There is no "e" in Japanese . 0.99999.... = 1!

I did track down an actual example of the exact word in question being pronounced (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uKSwr-81NM&t=3m57s) in exchange for actual money, and lordy it was a pain. It's up to viewer to decide if it rhymes with sage which rhymes with soggy.

Byakhee! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3hMKWR5eKA&list=PLR58Yo3somJCKgn6kgUDT_iIcXRbzu8MH&index=3)

Not in kana(Japanese writing systems), but in standardized Japanese romanization (romaji) there is, you're right, let's be consistent with rules.
I typed "e" but if I type え most people on the forum can't read it.
in Japanese, え is pronounced like "eh" or the e in spell, or hex, not like "ey" or "ay," as are all derived kana on the え column, including "re" or れ is pronounced with the same vowel phonem, being close to the english "re" in "rex" (not exactly because the r in Japanese is more similar to Spanish R than English R)

えい, or "ei" is pronounced like "ay" or "ey".
れい, or "Rei", (like Ray in English) is not the same as れ or "re"

in the video you linked, (great anime btw) the word 晴れ(はれ)[hare] is pronounced as I described in my previous post. there is no dipthong into an "い" sound at the end of it. Compare the e in "Set" to the ay in "Say" and listen carefully to the song again.

Also, no need to consult anime videos, I've a BA in East Asian Languages and an MA in Applied linguistics. Lived in Japan longer than I've lived in the States.

EDIT: Also, to reiterate my professional and personal opinion is still that there is no need to worry about pronunciation in English, even though I wish there were, but in Japanese the information above is correct.

KingGabriel
06-15-2015, 12:53 AM
I think I can help.

King Gabriel has informed me that these are all incredibly accurate pronunciations.

*nods*

Showsni
06-15-2015, 07:01 AM
I'm surprised some of these are being regarded as difficult... I mean, things like necrotic are just actual English words. So you pronounce it like you would in English. Coyotle are clearly based on coyotes, so you pronounce it like coyote but with a tle at the end instead. Cerulea comes from cerulean. Adamanth is like Aramanth for Wind on Fire fans!

Aradon
06-15-2015, 09:16 AM
I don't see any reason to employ Japanese pronunciations for Shin'hare. Shin is Japanese for death, they've stated, but hare is a straight English word. They just smushed the two together with an apostrophe.

Xexist
06-15-2015, 09:27 AM
I didnt realize people we struggling so much. Most are pretty obvious (unless 'proper' differs from normal engling pronunciation)

pjvedder
06-15-2015, 09:38 AM
And for what it's worth, while I don't have an specific examples to back it up, i'm sure there are video or audio clips out there somewhere from streams/interviews where Cory has pronounced things like Shin'hare, Uruunaz, Coyotle, etc. So as far as I'm concerned, that should be the deciding factor with how the pronunciations go.

WolfCrypt
06-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Regarding your Phenteo pronunciation... Do you mind if I ask how you arrived at that? Also, is English your first language?

To me, Phenteo = Fen - tee - oh

I know that's not proper phonetic spelling, but that's how I'd write it out.

I pronounce a lot of things phonetically not how the words are pronounced due to grammar rules. And English is my only language.

Mejis
06-15-2015, 01:20 PM
Edit. Oops. Ignore this.

Mejis
06-15-2015, 01:22 PM
I'm surprised some of these are being regarded as difficult... I mean, things like necrotic are just actual English words. So you pronounce it like you would in English. Coyotle are clearly based on coyotes, so you pronounce it like coyote but with a tle at the end instead. Cerulea comes from cerulean. Adamanth is like Aramanth for Wind on Fire fans!

Yep. Same thoughts. There aren't many that need clarifying. I've also thought of coyotles like coyotes. You just change the end sound as you say.

Fyren
06-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Yep. Same thoughts. There aren't many that need clarifying. I've also thought of coyotles like coyotes. You just change the end sound as you say.

Yeah, but is it Coy-o-tel or Coy-o-tlay? :3

Salverus
06-15-2015, 02:06 PM

its uruunaz, not u'r an aaz ...

Svenn
06-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Yeah, but is it Coy-o-tel or Coy-o-tlay? :3

It's been said by members of the Hex team in streams/videos. It's the "tel" one, not "lay". kahy-oh-tel. Think Coyote but with the ending of cattle.

nicosharp
06-15-2015, 02:23 PM
It's too bad a HEX Dictionary was not a KS reward. Otherwise we would have this in 2 years.
Let's not be We Todd Did.

Scammanator
06-15-2015, 02:31 PM
Maybe we can convince Loregoyle to do a classy reading of some common, hard-to-pronounce words and post it as a video on the main page. :cool:

Xenavire
06-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Maybe we can convince Loregoyle to do a classy reading of some common, hard-to-pronounce words and post it as a video on the main page. :cool:

They need to hire Patrick Stewart. He would be perfect for it.

Chark
06-15-2015, 02:57 PM
After hearing our LatAm and Brasil partners pronounce Uruunaz as Ooh-roo-náz, I've started pronouncing it like that, because it's way cooler.

Salverus
06-15-2015, 02:59 PM
*uruunaz
why does everyone spell it wrong:(

Chark
06-15-2015, 03:01 PM
*uruunaz
why does everyone spell it wrong:(

Zophie
06-15-2015, 03:03 PM
After hearing our LatAm and Brasil partners pronounce Uruunaz as Ooh-roo-náz, I've started pronouncing it like that, because it's way cooler.

Wait, how were you pronouncing it before? that's already how I've been saying it :confused:

Chark
06-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Wait, how were you pronouncing it before? that's already how I've been saying it :confused:

You-roo-náz

Scammanator
06-15-2015, 03:40 PM
You-roo-náz

Weird.

*Tries to think about it being pronounced that way.*

Nope. I'm sticking with "Ooh-" over "You-".

WolfCrypt
06-15-2015, 05:36 PM
I been saying it Oh Ra Naaz

Svenn
06-16-2015, 07:18 AM
I been saying it Oh Ra Naaz

You keep saying you are pronouncing things phonetically... but these pronunciations aren't even close to how they are spelled. >_< lol. This and Phenteo for sure.

Xenavire
06-16-2015, 07:22 AM
There is one pronunciation I am interested in right now - Syyn. I instantly read it as 'sin', until I read the flavour text, where the loose connections to Coyotles made me second guess it, thinking it might be spoken just like 'sign'.

It is definitely the one that has my the most interested.

israel.kendall
06-16-2015, 07:24 AM
This has been on my mind for a while so I will ask the linguists here. If "J" makes the "H" sound then is "habanero" really pronounced jab-ah-NAIR-oh? Why do they use the H there?

catacasa
06-16-2015, 08:47 AM
I've always pronounced Uruunaz as "You're an ass."

vickrpg
06-16-2015, 09:11 AM
This has been on my mind for a while so I will ask the linguists here. If "J" makes the "H" sound then is "habanero" really pronounced jab-ah-NAIR-oh? Why do they use the H there?

H is silent in Spanish, Habanero is the Spanish spelling, and in Spanish it's pronounced "Abanero" [/aβaˈneɾo/], the English pronunciation [/ˌhɑːbəˈnɛroʊ/]is just English speakers reading the Spanish spelling as if it were English.

nicosharp
06-16-2015, 11:19 AM
I always thought it was
Uruunaz = You're an azz

israel.kendall
06-16-2015, 11:28 AM
H is silent in Spanish, Habanero is the Spanish spelling, and in Spanish it's pronounced "Abanero" [/aβaˈneɾo/], the English pronunciation [/ˌhɑːbəˈnɛroʊ/]is just English speakers reading the Spanish spelling as if it were English.

Ah so it's just another word I'm saying wrong then...thanks lol

Phenteo
06-16-2015, 11:35 AM
Just for the record...

Phenteo - fen tā yô (read: fen tay yoh)

Svenn
06-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Just for the record...

Boo, I like Fen-tee-oh better. ;)

vickrpg
06-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Ah so it's just another word I'm saying wrong then...thanks lol

Not wrong, just "English-like". I don't expect people to say Spanish loan words "properly" if they don't speak Spanish, nor Japanese words if they don't speak Japanese, nor Swahili, etc.

English is a unique language in that how you pronounce things is far more flexible. It doesn't matter how you say things as long as you are in the general "understandable" range. Most other common languages are more strict in pronunciation rules. If it's a language I speak, I'd be more than happy to help you with how words are pronounced IN that language, but it shouldn't matter how you say it in English.

That said, I tend to be very stubborn about how I pronounce English words and try to argue for my way more often that not. I understand that people who don't speak a language have now way of knowing how to pronounce "picadillo" but it still makes me cringe when I hear the L sound.

Jonesy
06-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Just for the record...

yes, but which syllable is the accent on?!?

israel.kendall
06-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Not wrong, just "English-like". I don't expect people to say Spanish loan words "properly" if they don't speak Spanish, nor Japanese words if they don't speak Japanese, nor Swahili, etc.

English is a unique language in that how you pronounce things is far more flexible. It doesn't matter how you say things as long as you are in the general "understandable" range. Most other common languages are more strict in pronunciation rules. If it's a language I speak, I'd be more than happy to help you with how words are pronounced IN that language, but it shouldn't matter how you say it in English.

That said, I tend to be very stubborn about how I pronounce English words and try to argue for my way more often that not. I understand that people who don't speak a language have now way of knowing how to pronounce "picadillo" but it still makes me cringe when I hear the L sound.

You would hate to hear me say gyro at a restaurant then lol

vickrpg
06-16-2015, 12:39 PM
You would hate to hear me say gyro at a restaurant then lol

actually, I don't speak Greek, so we'd be cool... Unless you pronounce it with a hard G[/ˈɡɪəroʊ/], like in the word "Guy" which makes me cringe, even knowing that my own pronunciation[/ˈdʒaɪroʊ/ like a Gyroscope] is wrong as well. But pronouncing it properly [/ˈʝiros/ similar to Yee rose] makes most Americans not recognize the word, so whatever.

Interesting fact, the Gyro in word Gyroscope and the Greek food, both have the same root, "To turn".

KingGabriel
06-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Just for the record...

fan tā ôm? ok!

thegreybetween
06-16-2015, 03:32 PM
I'm in the following camps:

OO-roo-naz
FEN-tay-oh

Most of the rest seem straight forward enough or have been adequately covered.

I will say that I do tend to default to a pronunciation that is conceptually incorrect, though:

Shin'hare

I say SHIN-hair because I like the sound of it and using the word "hare" explicitly seems to fit the literal vibe better

Culturally (assuming it is valid to apply the rules of the cultures these imitate), it would be sheen-HA-ray