PDA

View Full Version : Set3 weekend?

Saeijou
06-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Will there be weekend with special win and participate AA again?

I hope not... that was just to much stress :P But have we heard of something like that?

Gwaer
06-17-2015, 01:45 PM
There have been hints, mostly from colin that we may see something like that. But we might not see it actual release weekend.

israel.kendall
06-17-2015, 01:46 PM
I've just been assuming they would do a similar release event, but haven't seen anything official yet.

magic_gazz
06-17-2015, 01:46 PM
I hope they do. Its free money :)

katkillad
06-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Why wouldn't they do a release weekend event? Why would someone not want to earn extra AA's just for doing what they would normally be doing?

Saeijou
06-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Why wouldn't they do a release weekend event? Why would someone not want to earn extra AA's just for doing what they would normally be doing?

When I remember all the complaining of "i had a bug and would have won an AA" discussions... i wouln't do it just to don't have those discussions again :D

israel.kendall
06-17-2015, 01:51 PM
When I remember all the complaining of "i had a bug and would have won an AA" discussions... i wouln't do it just to don't have those discussions again :D

I had a bug and would've wanted a AA, but still hoping for and looking forward to more release events.

Mejis
06-17-2015, 02:06 PM
I'm happy for there to be a special release weekend. That was a lot of fun for Set 2.

Perhaps more importantly though (and I don't really want to start a new thread) is the question: Will the test server for set 3 still happen this week? There has been zero word since last Friday's update.

Erukk
06-17-2015, 02:15 PM
I'm happy for there to be a special release weekend. That was a lot of fun for Set 2.

Perhaps more importantly though (and I don't really want to start a new thread) is the question: Will the test server for set 3 still happen this week? There has been zero word since last Friday's update.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if they hold it over the weekend like they usually do. That'll give them a couple of days to get a good list of bugs going, and the bug wranglers can play a nice game of...

http://i.imgur.com/HTisMpC.jpg

Koz
06-17-2015, 02:16 PM
How did these release events work for Set 2? I'm just curious so that I can have an idea of what to expect

Kramer
06-17-2015, 02:16 PM
As long as the Set 3 Release weekend does not interfere with a VIP weekend I am all for it. Although weekends work for me, it may be better for a Set 3 Release Week event so all can participate since many work on the weekends.

Also I would not want to delay Set 3 release if the release party event is not program ready yet.

vulture27
06-17-2015, 02:21 PM

That weekend was by far the least fun, most frustrating two days of playing Hex for me. I would gladly never see another event like it.

Its just way too much value placed on 1st, and a complete shaft to everyone else. I played 12 tournaments, made the finals 7 times, and walked away with 1 ape due largely to RNG.

Saeijou
06-17-2015, 02:22 PM
How did these release events work for Set 2? I'm just curious so that I can have an idea of what to expect

Well... it was 2-2-2 drafting and you got an AA for participating in the events and an AA for winning them.
That counted for draft and sealed.

Erukk
06-17-2015, 02:23 PM

Celebration draft and sealed queues were set up from Friday morning to Monday morning (PST). All participants would get rewarded with an AA Darkspire Punisher, and the 1st place prize was a AA Filk Ape.

poizonous
06-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Its just way too much value placed on 1st, and a complete shaft to everyone else. I played 12 tournaments, made the finals 7 times, and walked away with 1 ape due largely to RNG.

Thats how release tournaments work in ALL games, you get your special prize for entering and you get an even better prize for finishing first... I really wish i understood this whole "Participation ribbon" society... Believe it or not, people actually enjoy competitive payouts... and striving to be 1st

Erukk
06-17-2015, 02:26 PM

There was value placed on first, but I wouldn't say it was a complete shaft. Those Darkspire AAs are free money in the long term when they rarity and value increased over time.

katkillad
06-17-2015, 02:28 PM
That weekend was by far the least fun, most frustrating two days of playing Hex for me. I would gladly never see another event like it.

So you would rather only play for 1-5 packs instead of 1-5 packs and 2-3k plat? That certainly is an opinion one could have I guess.

magic_gazz
06-17-2015, 02:35 PM

By complete shaft do you mean that they paid the regular draft price, got the regular draft product and prizes AND got a free AA card.

If that's the case then I would like to be shafted more often. Never thought I would say that.

Xexist
06-17-2015, 02:37 PM

It was a madhouse drafting weekend.

Xexist
06-17-2015, 02:39 PM
By complete shaft do you mean that they paid the regular draft price, got the regular draft product and prizes AND got a free AA card.

If that's the case then I would like to be shafted more often. Never thought I would say that.

I know right? I loved 2-2-2 (and hate 2-2-1) and am super excited for 3-3-3 with or without chasey AA cards (hopefully with)

israel.kendall
06-17-2015, 02:42 PM

I concurr.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--tFfQL7R8Os/UYDPlMKOAdI/AAAAAAAAJ8c/GvwySrri_kA/s320/get-shafted-and-carry-on.png

Erukk
06-17-2015, 02:46 PM
A new draft queue filling up and starting every minute or two was really nice. Though, it had a bad habit of setting off a domino effect. You can enter one draft right after your last one ended, and you'll do that again... and again... and again...

The next thing you know seven hours has past, and you'll wonder where the day went too.

hex_colin
06-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Thats how release tournaments work in ALL games, you get your special prize for entering and you get an even better prize for finishing first... I really wish i understood this whole "Participation ribbon" society... Believe it or not, people actually enjoy competitive payouts... and striving to be 1st

""Participation Ribbon" Society" - this is awesome, I'll be stealing this to use frequently... ;)

x78089
06-17-2015, 03:02 PM
As long as the Set 3 Release weekend does not interfere with a VIP weekend I am all for it. Although weekends work for me, it may be better for a Set 3 Release Week event so all can participate since many work on the weekends.

Also I would not want to delay Set 3 release if the release party event is not program ready yet.

This.

FlyingMeatchip
06-17-2015, 03:07 PM
It was said in last Friday update that the test server was opening next week. I was really hoping it would be open Tuesday or Wednesday, not the end of the week like it currently looks like.

Mejis
06-17-2015, 03:28 PM
It was said in last Friday update that the test server was opening next week. I was really hoping it would be open Tuesday or Wednesday, not the end of the week like it currently looks like.

I'm starting to think it might not happen at all given we haven't heard anything.

Biz
06-17-2015, 03:40 PM
I liked the set 2 one
i don't see any downsides. the winners get better prizes than normal. the losers get better prizes than normal

incitfulmonk21
06-17-2015, 03:41 PM
I'm starting to think it might not happen at all given we haven't heard anything.

Yeah I would be pretty surprised if it happened this week given the day and no news.

hex_colin
06-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Yeah I would be pretty surprised if it happened this week given the day and no news.

Why? What more do we need than "Test Server is Open. Here's a download link."? They could drop that Friday afternoon, and they'd still have made "next week". Oh, and tasty patch notes obviously... That will take hours to read... ;)

poizonous
06-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Why? What more do we need than "Test Server is Open. Here's a download link."? They could drop that Friday afternoon, and they'd still have made "next week". Oh, and tasty patch notes obviously... That will take hours to read... ;)

Fully agreed... while i would have preferred seeing "next weekend" in the Friday update because people always link Friday-Sunday as weekends so when they said "next week" i believe most people assumed Monday-Thursday.

But yeah agreed we will most likely see it this week and if Colin said it, it is 150% accurate

Roy_G
06-17-2015, 03:52 PM
They could say it's still coming this week.It's bit worrying not hear anything from them.Maybe there was a delay we don't know about.

israel.kendall
06-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Haven't even seen a spoiler all day, it is like the calm before the storm...

Svenn
06-17-2015, 04:13 PM
They could say it's still coming this week.It's bit worrying not hear anything from them.Maybe there was a delay we don't know about.

It's E3 week. I know Cory is there, and I imagine several other people (probably Phenteo). I wouldn't expect a lot of forum posting this week.

Mejis
06-17-2015, 04:21 PM
It's E3 week. I know Cory is there, and I imagine several other people (probably Phenteo). I wouldn't expect a lot of forum posting this week.

Was there any HEX coverage at E3? Was Cory there representing HEX, or just attending?

Voormas
06-17-2015, 04:57 PM
I really enjoyed the release celebration weekend last time and look forward to something similar in the future :)

Gorgol
06-17-2015, 06:10 PM
my favorite part of set 2 was the release weekend. I hope it continues. It would be sad for it to never happen again.

sukebe
06-17-2015, 06:17 PM
I didn't get to play nearly as much as I wanted to last release weekend so I am very much looking forward to trying to earn some AA's from set 3 :-)

Barkam
06-17-2015, 06:39 PM
I look forward to more set release celebrations.

WolfCrypt
06-17-2015, 06:46 PM
I don't draft so any AA release event is irrelevant to me but I do hope Set 3 is any day now XD

Skirovik
06-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Looking forward to a Release Weekend Special Event. I enjoyed the last one even though I only drafted enough for 4x Darkspire AAs (and didn't win any AA Filk Apes in that time).

Flairina
06-17-2015, 06:58 PM
I didn't even know about that free tournament weekend. Hoping NOT to miss this one. ^^;

WolfCrypt
06-17-2015, 07:01 PM
What evidence have we that we'll get a release event every set?

Xexist
06-17-2015, 07:40 PM
What evidence have we that we'll get a release event every set?

Because every time Hex has a change to be generous and do something fun for us, they have?

Tazelbain
06-18-2015, 08:30 AM
What evidence have we that we'll get a release event every set?Cory has said he really likes release events on multiple occasions. What form they take is probably not set in stone. Would very interesting if set 03's event was sealed gauntlet.

poizonous
06-18-2015, 08:36 AM
Cory has said he really likes release events on multiple occasions. What form they take is probably not set in stone. Would very interesting if set 03's event was sealed gauntlet.

i think a release event might be hard to do in gauntlet mode due to time restraints... if someone fails to find a match at 4 wins in the given time, what reimbursement do they get?

I was against Async mode, but I kind of like what they have done with it from reading it. Just think special events would be best run in basic mode, at least it guarantees the event ends on time and everyone in it has a chance to get to the end of it

Tazelbain
06-18-2015, 08:45 AM
Easily solved giving out bonus rewards based on start time and note worry about end time.

Why is draft basic mode? Gauntlets can easily be the new basic mode since they support a casual, "at own your pace" style.

poizonous
06-18-2015, 08:47 AM
Easily solved giving out bonus rewards based on start time and note worry about end time.

Why is draft basic mode? Gauntlets can easily be the new basic mode since they support a casual, "at own your pace" style.

because drafts require 8 players at 1 given time to draft... and they want you to play against people of the same card pool, not play against potentially 8 rounds of players with a monsuun

Tazelbain
06-18-2015, 09:02 AM
That is an augment of why you don't like sealed. Your personal preference for draft does make it the basic mode of playing Hex.

LeMazing
06-18-2015, 09:19 AM
That is an augment of why you don't like sealed. Your personal preference for draft does make it the basic mode of playing Hex. Most of the point of drafting is that you're interacting with a shared card pool of 8 players. Your decisions affect theirs, and the ability to hate-draft, rare-draft, and use intution and experience to figure out what the other players' decks are composed of (and using that to determine or at least influence your own shard/archetype choices) is what defines booster drafts. To have an async of "select 45 cards to build a deck from" would require a new type of format. It's not a matter of personal preferences, it's a matter of what the format technically is.

The reason that sealed can be easily transferred to an async format is because your interaction with other players doesn't start until after your deck is made.

Axle
06-18-2015, 09:19 AM
As explained above, making Draft asynchrous would remove a lot of skill in the draft process. It would essentially become Hearthstone's Arena.

Tazelbain
06-18-2015, 09:32 AM
Feels like we talking past each other. Please point to where I said anything related to draft gauntlet.

LeMazing
06-18-2015, 09:35 AM
Feels like we talking past each other. Please point to where I said anything related to draft gauntlet. Whoops, jumped the gun there, sorry. Now the C in RTFC officially stands for 'conversation'.

Axle
06-18-2015, 09:35 AM
Then if you're referring to "Why isn't it the release event"? They would if people wanted it. However I'd rather not have to rely on sealed to get the 1st place reward. Sealed deckbuilding isn't as fun, nor skillful. I'm pretty sure the majority agrees with me.

They might do it just to get people trying the new mode..but otherwise draft just makes more sense. Get a 100 page thread filled with people that want the release event to be sealed gauntlet and maybe they'll do it.

Another thing is why can't both give the reward? Pretty sure they will. Last event wasn't just Draft giving the reward.

nicosharp
06-18-2015, 09:37 AM
I hope they do a set 3 "Week".
There is really no reason to plug a new set for the grinders, when the format will always be all of said set going forward, but it's nice to hype it with an event that rewards AA's and promotes the launch. I'm sure they have this planned.

elfstone
06-18-2015, 10:51 PM
A fun little thing for release weekend might be adding a small gold win for that weekend. allow us to spin our new chests as we play :p.

Patrigan
06-18-2015, 11:15 PM
However I'd rather not have to rely on sealed to get the 1st place reward. Sealed deckbuilding isn't as fun, nor skillful. I'm pretty sure the majority agrees with me.

I disagree with you. Also, don't talk for the majority, unless you are capable of proving it. with sealed, you'll have a very diverse pool to choose from, 90 cards total to fill a 45 card deck. It is up to you to make the best deck. How much will you splash. If you splash, how deep will you do it.

The only downside to sealed is the fact that your pool can be very crappy, but that's the nature of every limited event.

poizonous
06-18-2015, 11:21 PM
The only downside to sealed is the fact that your pool can be very crappy, but that's the nature of every limited event.

This is just not true. Sealed is a huge luck factor, where as draft, you can purposely pick cards you feel will help you. There is very little skill to sealed building, while yes you have a bigger pool to choose from, the skill needed to build that deck is very minimal.

Draft however pits your skills to take cards and read signals around you

TL;DR : Sealed pays out luck, Draft pays out skill

Axle
06-18-2015, 11:22 PM
You have an even bigger pool (to choose from) in draft. In draft you choose your synergies. In sealed, the synergies choose themselves for you.

The skill cap for deckbuilding is hit much faster in sealed, where it really just is "finding the best cards you got and make a deck with them". With all the knowledge already in front of you rather than draft where things switch up constantly.

Biz
06-19-2015, 12:44 AM
i don't think choosing synergies in a very limited card pool is very difficult

the hard choices are the tradeoffs between how many colors you want to use

in sealed, there's almost always a tradeoff between consistency (fewer colors) and power (more colors)
your best cards are going to require different shards, so you can never use all of them
the choice you make will decide will decide your fate almost every tourney

draft often lets you dodge this type of decision entirely because you choose which color(s) you want to draft

knowing when to switch archetypes or cutting other people off is the hardest part of draft, but that skill is needed so rarely and is less likely to affect the tourney result. most of the time you just make a choice early on and stick with it

poizonous
06-19-2015, 01:49 AM
knowing when to switch archetypes or cutting other people off is the hardest part of draft, but that skill is needed so rarely and is less likely to affect the tourney result. most of the time you just make a choice early on and stick with it

This is very false. EVERY pick you make in a draft affects the tourney result. Picking a tormented ritualist and passing a crackling bolt in a draft where you are blood/ruby, just gave a crackling bolt to someone who might have been in humans, and then he wins a game because of that bolt you passed him.

Granted this is not something that everyone practices but going to use the incident from the grand prix event in MtG recently, where the guy took the 10,000 dollar card and passed a burst lightning which he could have used in his deck. Now in no way am i saying he should have taken the common card but passing that burst lightning not only made him not win the draft, but that burst lightning in turn could have played a huge part in someone elses match

Tazelbain
06-19-2015, 09:32 AM
I agree that drafts have a higher skill factor. More choices = chances to show skill.

Per Shaq, gauntlets are meant to be a casual, time convenient format. That makes it fine candidate to do a release events in. But I would wait to Set 04 when the gauntlet is in production a while.

Also I don't why you wouldn't make the event for all limited queues.

Biz
06-19-2015, 11:51 AM
This is very false. EVERY pick you make in a draft affects the tourney result. Picking a tormented ritualist and passing a crackling bolt in a draft where you are blood/ruby, just gave a crackling bolt to someone who might have been in humans, and then he wins a game because of that bolt you passed him.

it's not common at all for it to affect your own tournament result (which is what matters), especially in single-elimination

you have to run into the player who you gave the card to
then he actually has to draw that card and play it
and that play has to actually affect the result of your best of 3
and you have to have won your other rounds without relying on the card you skipped

as i said, it's not necessarily an easy choice, but calling it a significant one is a huge stretch

anyways this is probably not the point of the thread, but I hate the rarity factor in draft because it takes away from the gameplay when you are choosing between cards that would help you win and cards that would get you more platinum. sealed doesn't have that so it's more "pure" from a competitive strategy point of view

IronPheasant
06-19-2015, 12:18 PM
Sealed is a huge luck factor

As is draft. The extremes are just wider in draft: higher highs and lower lows. An example of the lows:

There's guys who kickblasted into the draft tier, who sign up to grab their cards taking the best ones in every single color (which means all of the removal), and then drop. Being adjacent to one or two consecutive guys doing that generally leaves you with a deck intelligently designed to be its absolute worst, far weaker than the worst possible sealed pool.

passing that burst lightning not only made him not win the draft

Pretty sure taking the $10,000 million$ card made him a winner without even playing by any objective measure.

... These games are pretty damn weird when you think about it. A card game made up of lottery tickets..

EntropyBall
06-19-2015, 02:15 PM
""Participation Ribbon" Society" - this is awesome, I'll be stealing this to use frequently... ;)

This reminds me of something I should share with all our married Hexers. If your wife refers to herself as a "trophy wife". Do NOT say "yeah, but like a participation trophy".

MasterN64
06-19-2015, 02:35 PM
As is draft. The extremes are just wider in draft: higher highs and lower lows. An example of the lows:

There's guys who kickblasted into the draft tier, who sign up to grab their cards taking the best ones in every single color (which means all of the removal), and then drop. Being adjacent to one or two consecutive guys doing that generally leaves you with a deck intelligently designed to be its absolute worst, far weaker than the worst possible sealed pool.

Pretty sure taking the $10,000 million$ card made him a winner without even playing by any objective measure.

... These games are pretty damn weird when you think about it. A card game made up of lottery tickets..

While the issue of people using drafts as free cards and getting byes can cause problems with card you want getting taken it normally applies more for value of card and less.for strength of card. Someone rare drafting their ticket away will take the rare or uncommon in every pack. This leaves the nickel and dime commons like murder and repel and the like which win drafts. These cards pulled will also be from every color and archetype randomly so someone wont just take all the good human cards or such generally. Rare drafting then giving a bye to someone first round is in my opinion a fair tradeoff of potentially being given a wheeling stonetusk or potential wheeled uncommon you can use. Rare drafting is not as big of an issue as you would think because of this.

I still put much of this semi witch hunting on kickstarter backers on people hating they missed out on the goodies. Yes the perks were strong. That doesn't mean it's ruining the game or giving someone an I win button. Of course that has been discussed to death.

wolzarg
06-19-2015, 03:06 PM
I'm confused how were they drafting with black lotuses in resin sealed casings?

Or was there litterally a card that was not for play with a 10000$ check attached to it?

Tazelbain
06-19-2015, 03:23 PM
http://io9.com/the-strange-case-of-the-15-000-magic-card-1710591391
Chase mythic that was foiled and tournament stamped and has unique story with it.

israel.kendall
06-19-2015, 03:36 PM
http://io9.com/the-strange-case-of-the-15-000-magic-card-1710591391
Chase mythic that was foiled and tournament stamped and has unique story with it.

He lost in the semi's to the guy who drafted that bolt lightning, and had troops knocked off the board by said exact copy of bolt lightning: http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpveg15-1/semifinals-round-up-2015-05-31

Although not sure why this is relevant to the thread lol

wolzarg
06-19-2015, 03:42 PM
That is just absurd but okay.

Jonesy
06-19-2015, 05:24 PM
First place for that tournament was like 4k, last i heard his card was on ebay at 16k (havent cared enough to follow the story to conclusion), not that any of this is relevant to the current discussion. Sealed is a far more luck-based format than draft, you have much less control. The only time I prefer sealed over draft is when I have little to no knowledge and experience with the set as that is less required in sealed and thus evens the playing field for me a bit. Luck exists in draft as well but it is far less of a factor. Some people will get gifted god pools in sealed and some will get terrible cards. In draft things are far more in your control. In my experience it is a very tiny minority who prefer sealed over draft.....However I think pre-releases and release events are the perfect time for sealed as nobody has any clue as to how to draft the set yet so the randomness and luck factor of draft almost reaches that of sealed as nobody really knows what theyre doing and people end up just forcing something and taking what randomly comes to them.

poizonous
06-19-2015, 07:18 PM
I'm confused how were they drafting with black lotuses in resin sealed casings?

Or was there litterally a card that was not for play with a 10000$ check attached to it?

It was a Gold foiled Tarmogoyf, only one in circulation, and it fetched so much more money than it was worth because he promised to donate 1/2 to a charity.

Vorpal
06-20-2015, 05:36 PM
Is the set 3 weekend when the gold AA's stop being sold in the store?