PDA

View Full Version : ANTE Games allowed?

Phoenixfire
06-17-2015, 04:02 PM
The discussion came up again today if HEX allowed ante games within there rules.

ANTE = a wager on who wins , loser gives the winner plat, gold or a card etc..

We know a lot of "other" card games discourage ir or out right dont allow it.

I am pretty sure HEX will not enforce any of it if there is a altercation

But are we allowed to play ante games at our own risk of course?

poizonous
06-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Im pretty sure they will have nothing to support it but I know I personally have done this sort of thing with players i know and trust.
If its against the rules I wouldnt have assumed so but I would think its a do at your own risk kind of thing

Yoss
06-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Of course you can.

israel.kendall
06-17-2015, 04:07 PM
I've openly wagered matches for gold in chat and no one said anything. Used to see it more often, people would call it a "500 gold challenge" or similar.

Zophie
06-17-2015, 04:29 PM
Sure you can do it at your own risk, but you will likely get zero support if you end up not getting paid. On the flip side, if you're caught scamming people you will likely get suspended/banned.

Best to just keep it between friends until some kind of official mechanic is put in the game to support this kind of thing.

nicosharp
06-17-2015, 06:20 PM
Chark mentioned a 1:1 queue where each player inputs 100plat, and the winner gets a pack. I think this is the closest thing we will see short term that achieves in-game support for "ANTE".
Hopefully we will see this implemented with Set3 patch.

Kami
06-17-2015, 06:58 PM
The problem with true ante (which was even removed from MTG) is that it puts it in the 'gambling' category of things, officially.

israel.kendall
06-17-2015, 08:00 PM
The problem with true ante (which was even removed from MTG) is that it puts it in the 'gambling' category of things, officially.

How can we possibly gamble things we don't even own?

Gwaer
06-17-2015, 08:03 PM
Gambling laws are very vague. And often will ensnare things that look less like gambling than playing card games for virtual items. They've gotta tread very carefully here. So does wizards.

Showsni
06-17-2015, 09:28 PM
Gambling laws are very vague. And often will ensnare things that look less like gambling than playing card games for virtual items. They've gotta tread very carefully here. So does wizards.

Vague enough that they removed the slot machines from European releases of Pokémon (Platinum) but left in, you know, the whole rest of the game, which is pretty much just as gambly.

israel.kendall
06-17-2015, 10:11 PM
Vague enough that they removed the slot machines from European releases of Pokémon (Platinum) but left in, you know, the whole rest of the game, which is pretty much just as gambly.

and in HEX we have the slot machines lol

wolzarg
06-18-2015, 06:45 AM
Note that in true ante the card being gambled is random which is less cool than a predetermined "Entrance fee" and a "Prize payout".

Turboflex
06-18-2015, 07:47 AM
Fanduel & Draftkings allow similar 1 vs 1 match ups with a cash prize (collected from entrants) where the contest is fantasy sports picks (filtered through a points weighted system) instead of a card game. This sort of thing is allowed because the fantasy sports contests, and HEX, by law are considered games of skill and not straight up gambling.

Kramer
06-18-2015, 08:08 AM
Since gambling laws differ from country to country, I seriously doubt this will be implemented within the game. What two players decide privately is another matter.

Showsni
06-18-2015, 10:30 AM
It's interesting reading the MtG Alpha rulebook. They planned for Ante to be the norm every game, with house rules to not use it for beginners. You can tell reading the rulebook that they expected decks to be much more fluid things, evolving after every game by adding in the ante card you won.

Also, originally a match of Magic consisted of winning two sets best of three - and each set was won by first to three individual games. So a single match could potentially have up to 15 different games! With ante changing both decks after each of them! A far cry from the best of three games they use these days...