PDA

View Full Version : Massively OP Cory Jones E3 Article

Zophie
06-18-2015, 11:22 AM
New article on Massively Overpowered talking about Cory Jones & HEX @ E3 this week:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/18/e3-2015-cory-jones-discusses-hex-lawsuits-and-cake/

Not much new information but always good to hear more from Cory and see Hex get more exposure!

jonsnow2000
06-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Haha... I didnt know there is a site called "Massively OP". I went into this thread thinking "Oh wow, a massively and overpowered interview from Cory"

Zophie
06-18-2015, 11:31 AM
Haha... I didnt know there is a site called "Massively OP". I went into this thread thinking "Oh wow, a massively and overpowered interview from Cory"

True, any interview with Cory is inherently massive and OP :D

Xexist
06-18-2015, 12:00 PM

Plus one.

EntropyBall
06-19-2015, 11:38 AM
One nugget in that article is that there is new PVE coming soon that is not a full campaign, which I guess could mean a dungeon?

"The game’s upcoming patch is set to improve the game quite a bit. Slicker animations/graphics have already been implemented, but the devs hope to refine this further, especially since you can now open the chests you randomly receive. The gauntlet is on the schedule, as is more focused PvE content and support boosters for tweaking the starter decks, but the whole PvE campaign isn’t ready yet."

ryuukan
06-19-2015, 11:44 AM
That's PR speak for chest opening and more equipment added

don't read into it

Zophie
06-19-2015, 11:45 AM
One nugget in that article is that there is new PVE coming soon that is not a full campaign, which I guess could mean a dungeon?

Could be just referring to enhancements to the Tutorial/Starter Trials or the chests opening. Although it would definitely be neat to see a second location like Frost Ring Arena though, or even just an expansion to the existing Arena, like an added tier and/or more opponents/bosses with Set 3 cards used.

Tazelbain
06-19-2015, 11:56 AM
I don't think the next PvE patch is expected to be the whole campaign just the first set of dungeons. Since dungeons come sets of 5, I expect 5-10 dungeon plus one ardent and one underworld city. First Raid maybe.

Yoss
06-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Article makes it sound like Cory is going to hold back until there's a very substantial PvE campaign to release. Meaning, the entire "starter area" plus at least one raid and at least one town. That seems reasonable to me, but of course there are so few details it's really hard to guess.

israel.kendall
06-19-2015, 12:26 PM
I'm expecting dungeons before raids, because on the MMO side of things, raiding is generally considered end game content. It seems kind of silly to put the end game content in when we don't have the regular game yet. A starter area and a raid, without dungeons, is like having an MMO with noob zones and then a Plane of Fear raid zone with nothing in between. I think we will get a stack of dungeons either before any raid, or in conjuction with a starter raid or two.

Zophie
06-19-2015, 12:35 PM
Since dungeons come sets of 5

Not sure where you get this from. Last time I heard Cory talk about this in an interview his goal was drop like around 12 dungeons on us at once. I don't recall anywhere else referring to "sets of 5", do you have source?

I think when we get the PVE campaign dropped on us it'll be the full PVE experience (champ leveling/mercs/etc) with a good number of dungeons to play through. This article makes it sound like he also wants to include a Raid with that, though last time he talked about the Raids he was a little hesitant about it, likely due to the framework needed to support 2-3 players vs raid boss, but I would be thrilled if they found a good solution for that and got it in there too!

Tazelbain
06-19-2015, 12:53 PM
I want to say it was Cory in the first Cirous' first PvE interview. The one with the power point of Kracken Dungeon. 5 just may have been an hypothetical example or a that number has changed. But it was definitely framed as complete a set of X dungeons and open a raid.

For bad or good, any thing coming out Hex is subject to change as the development. I just want to nip the idea, "whole/complete" campaign is coming in the next patch after Set 03. It's not.

israel.kendall
06-19-2015, 12:56 PM
likely due to the framework needed to support 2-3 players vs raid boss, but I would be thrilled if they found a good solution for that and got it in there too!

*cough

http://i.imgur.com/mW94RR1.png

Yoss
06-19-2015, 01:09 PM
I'm expecting dungeons before raids, because on the MMO side of things, raiding is generally considered end game content. It seems kind of silly to put the end game content in when we don't have the regular game yet. A starter area and a raid, without dungeons, is like having an MMO with noob zones and then a Plane of Fear raid zone with nothing in between. I think we will get a stack of dungeons either before any raid, or in conjuction with a starter raid or two.

The starter area IS dungeons, by my reading of it. Easy ones that teach mechanics. And they would logically lead to a starter raid, right?

israel.kendall
06-19-2015, 01:16 PM
The starter area IS dungeons, by my reading of it. Easy ones that teach mechanics. And they would logically lead to a starter raid, right?

I dunno, I've rarely played an MMO with a starter raid. Some had low level raid content, but that development time was really just wasted because everyone bypassed that content to get to end game anyways.

Mokog
06-19-2015, 01:34 PM

If you look into the designs of dungeons and raids done by Cryptozoic for the WoW TCG they craft challenging experiences but those were not based on the idea of progressing numbers. Hotkey MMO design is not going to be 1 for 1 to MMO TCG design.

wolzarg
06-19-2015, 01:51 PM
I dunno, I've rarely played an MMO with a starter raid. Some had low level raid content, but that development time was really just wasted because everyone bypassed that content to get to end game anyways.
Starting raids don't need to be bypassed its fairly easy to have a raid be easier the first x times or add a challenge to it if you are max lvl honestly. Sure in a lvl based mmo with numbers growing you have to work some to scale it but you don't really in a card game.

israel.kendall
06-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Starting raids don't need to be bypassed its fairly easy to have a raid be easier the first x times or add a challenge to it if you are max lvl honestly. Sure in a lvl based mmo with numbers growing you have to work some to scale it but you don't really in a card game.

Are raids not meant to be end game content in HEX? Is raid just a word they are using for multi-player PvE content?

EntropyBall
06-19-2015, 02:09 PM
That's PR speak for chest opening and more equipment added

don't read into it

I know it's dangerous to get our hopes up about any sort of PVE, but saying "more focused" PVE content doesn't sound like equipment/chest opening to me. It sounds like either a dungeon, or the Squirrels vs. Dinosaurs arena. Or some crazy new thing that I know nothing about. The Kraken dungeon has been worked on and talked about for some time, it doesn't seem impossible to me that it could be released.

wolzarg
06-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Are raids not meant to be end game content in HEX? Is raid just a word they are using for multi-player PvE content?
No and yes.

israel.kendall
06-19-2015, 02:26 PM
No and yes.

Welp, I just lost interest. Carry on....

Yoss
06-19-2015, 02:54 PM
I really, really, really hope they take to heart the community recommendations for implementing hard modes. Once implemented, it's many hours of free content added on to every single piece of PvE they ever come up with.

Welp, I just lost interest. Carry on....

Never fear, there will be high end stuff to do. If you're old enough to remember, think of FF VII optional end bosses (I think they were called "weapons").

israel.kendall
06-19-2015, 02:57 PM
Never fear, there will be high end stuff to do. If you're old enough to remember, think of FF VII optional end bosses (I think they were called "weapons").

I hope so, when I hear "raid" in a MMO I think endgame challenging content. I feel like if it's just multiplayer mode it should be called something else maybe.

Zophie
06-19-2015, 02:59 PM

As far as I understand they are definitely the next tier up from normal solo dungeons, as well as being the term used for multiplayer PVE content. To give an example, the Kraken's Lair dungeon is played solo, and once you complete it you gain access to the Kraken raid boss which you head into with 1-2 other people to defeat. So in that respect, the raid would be considered "end-game" - but this won't be the only Raid of course, I'm sure we'll get many, and it might be more of a horizontal progression than the vertical item level progression you might be used to. We can only speculate on all that though, things have changed many times during development and we won't know for sure how it'll all work until release.

israel.kendall
06-19-2015, 03:03 PM
As far as I understand they are definitely the next tier up from normal solo dungeons, as well as being the term used for multiplayer PVE content. To give an example, the Kraken's Lair dungeon is played solo, and once you complete it you gain access to the Kraken raid boss which you head into with 1-2 other people to defeat. So in that respect, the raid would be considered "end-game" - but this won't be the only Raid of course, I'm sure we'll get many, and it might be more of a horizontal progression than the vertical item level progression you might be used to. We can only speculate on all that though, things have changed many times during development and we won't know for sure how it'll all work until release.

This sounds more like what I was thinking of end game style content, not jumping from the starter thing straight into a raid.

wolzarg
06-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Endgame is such and absurdly weird term to use for this game i feel. They will drop the rarest and most sought after loot if that makes them endgame to you then they are endgame. Some of them will be the hardest content in the game if that makes them endgame to you they are endgame.

But all 3 mans are raids and not all raids are the hardest or offer the most sought after stuff.

israel.kendall
06-19-2015, 03:25 PM
Endgame is such and absurdly weird term to use for this game i feel. They will drop the rarest and most sought after loot if that makes them endgame to you then they are endgame. Some of them will be the hardest content in the game if that makes them endgame to you they are endgame.

But all 3 mans are raids and not all raids are the hardest or offer the most sought after stuff.

I dunno, all I know is that when I'm talking MMO's and raiding comes up I think challenging end game content. I don't think of it as something that can be accomplished right out the gate.

Xexist
06-19-2015, 05:20 PM
I really, really, really hope they take to heart the community recommendations for implementing hard modes. Once implemented, it's many hours of free content added on to every single piece of PvE they ever come up with.

FYI I just about lost my mind when I heard FF7 was coming to IOS :D

WolfCrypt
06-20-2015, 01:52 AM
I'd like it if Raids weren't the only thing that are PVE multiplayer maybe we can get dungeons? Cuz a raid is like a boss from what I've gathered in Hex terms.

Patrigan
06-20-2015, 05:01 AM
I'm just wondering what people see as end-game content in a tcg? I mean... I don't really feel like there's some sort of vertical progression one can make. I only see horizontal progression. To that end, a "low-level" raid will probaby still be as challenging at times as a high level raid. THey will each just require another deck setup.

Showsni
06-20-2015, 06:12 AM
I'm just wondering what people see as end-game content in a tcg?

Gaining all the medals then beating the four Grand Masters and the Champion to earn the legendary cards.

wolzarg
06-20-2015, 07:04 AM
Is this a yu-gi-oh or a pokemon or a mix of both reference?

Xenavire
06-20-2015, 07:06 AM
Is this a yu-gi-oh or a pokemon or a mix of both reference?

Its the Pokemon TCG game on GBC. If you collected all the 8 medals (not badges) you could face the 4 grand masters (not elite 4) and every time you faced them and won you would get a random legendary card.

Chadatog
06-21-2015, 07:28 PM
I fully regret the day I sold that game.

Vorpal
06-22-2015, 10:03 AM
I thought "Massively OP Cory Jones" was going to be a new arena encounter and got all psyched up.

Erukk
06-22-2015, 10:48 AM
I thought "Massively OP Cory Jones" was going to be a new arena encounter and got all psyched up.

Special birthday raid featuring "Massively OP" Princess Cory wielding a custom built very aggressive deck that abuses his built auto prismatic ability to heck and back. Or a Halloween special: "Necro(tic) Princess Cory: Night of the Living Rainbow Dead".

Make it happen Mr. Jones!
Pretty pretty pretty please?

israel.kendall
06-22-2015, 04:36 PM
I think there is an inaccuracy in the article maybe. It says that the winner of the upcoming tourney will get $100k, but I understood the tourney as being $100k total prizes, not a single lump sum to the winner. Maybe I'm just confused, wouldn't be the first time.

Zophie
06-22-2015, 05:16 PM
I think there is an inaccuracy in the article maybe. It says that the winner of the upcoming tourney will get $100k, but I understood the tourney as being $100k total prizes, not a single lump sum to the winner. Maybe I'm just confused, wouldn't be the first time.

Honestly I'd take some of the details with a grain of salt, this guy is mostly just summarizing what he talked to Cory about during E3, and this likely was one of many articles he had to write for many games. But yeah, I thought it was just as you thought, $100k total prize pool.