PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Vanity Cards

BossHoss
06-18-2015, 11:57 PM
I have always had a curiosity of who is featured on what cards and if there is any kind of back story to what you may have chosen. I recently received my Vanity card and couldn't have been more happy as to the outcome of the product. HXE never ceases to amaze at their talents and quality behind everything they do.

I would like to know:

Who are you?

What is your backstory?

Well here I am...

Warlock of Aettir
http://i62.tinypic.com/29vfckl.png

Backstory:
Ęttir (ush tee er) is the name of the lead character in a game design I have had in the back of my mind for quite some time. The name originates from the oldest form of runic alphabets known as the elder futhark. The alphabet is divided into three divisions of eight, comprised of the first ętt, second ętt and the third ętt, known as ęttir.

The character is reanimated between the two realms of the living and the dead amongst the gods. Ęttir has bare witness to the secret of immortality guarded by the gods during his reanimation. Set out to become a God himself he must travel between the spirit and material realms in search of souls. The key to his immortality lie directly within the aether of the soul and fueled by sin. The material realm is where the gods return as mortals, to harvest the souls of those who commit sins, to extend and strengthen their immortality in the spiritual realm.

Thank you CZE/HXE for an amazing experience and journey throughout the creation of the card and I could not be more impressed at how well you could harvest my soul into immortalizing Hex.

poizonous
06-19-2015, 12:02 AM
I own 46 of you on test server, I guess that makes me your master Kappa

magic_gazz
06-19-2015, 12:29 AM
Can we see the picture the art was drawn from.

Im always interested to see how well they capture it.

BossHoss
06-19-2015, 12:56 AM

Here's a poor drivers license pic

xou
06-19-2015, 01:44 AM
damn, you look badass on that card! grats! :)

dbug
06-19-2015, 03:20 AM
Nice that you share this with us. Really appreciated. I would love, if all owner of vanity cards reveal them :)

KingGabriel
06-19-2015, 03:37 AM
Your card is a nice counter to single removal. If they select it with a burn, you can buff up. If they murder another troop, you can get a blocking buff.

Stok3d
06-19-2015, 04:03 AM
I love your card Boss! I actually think ours combo well together :)

I too am ever-so thankful and excited to be able to be a permanent fixture within the world of Hex. The journey here has been surreal. Understandably so, I've been anxiously awaiting the moment the likeness card was to be viewed within game... and the moment was so worth it! I feel like I'm 8 years old again <3

I know a lot of hands have played a role, and want to sincerely thank everyone! The name, mechanics, and even the equipment have me wanting to thank the staff many times over. As I know just a single person came up with the flavor text, a special thanks goes to Loregoyle--you really outdid yourself there... and my name is cleverly in it!!! :)

I am stoked to see all the faces that met at the Dragon Lord Dinner (http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/08/22/gencon-2013-dragon-lord-dinner-corys-speech/). Hopefully all the Vanity cards will be identified as it will be fun to check them all out!!!

Stok3d Card:
http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/AngelofJudgement.jpg

One of the Pics sent:
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu64/Stok3d-Photos/NickCherney-MayanRiviera_zps1c481572.jpg

KingGabriel
06-19-2015, 04:27 AM
Nice card! You must be pretty... stoked about it. :stormcloud:

RanaDunes
06-19-2015, 06:28 AM
I am a feeble common card lol!

https://hextcg.com/wp-content/themes/hex/images/autocard/Psionic%20Acolyte.png

But boy the Art is beautiful!
The Psionic Acolyte is a Necrotic who's using poor Rana's body. Rana Dune once was a human.
I love that my name is mentioned in the flavor text! This has definitely been a fun experience. :)

KingGabriel
06-19-2015, 06:37 AM
Might be a lowly common but I can certainly think of some combos for it :)

EntropyBall
06-19-2015, 06:46 AM

At least everyone will get to see your art though.
I really like the vanity cards they do. You can almost always pick them out, because the faces have better detail. I'm sure that's not exactly it, but they usually look more "real" to me.

Kami
06-19-2015, 06:46 AM
Here's mine:

https://hextcg.com/wp-content/themes/hex/images/autocard/Sterling%20Starwatcher.png

Long story short, they couldn't just put my character in the game, so they compromised and named a Coyotle after me. :)

(And I still wish I had a super-high-resolution version of that artwork.... *winkwinknudgenudgeyouknowwhatimeanyouknowwhatimea n*)

The_Lannisters
06-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Stok3d confirmed HOTTIE! :o

MatWith1T
06-19-2015, 09:59 AM

Will make getting your playset of EA You's very affordable!

Xenavire
06-19-2015, 10:03 AM
I just had a cool thought - the people who get these vanity cards should get a copy with altered art... With the only change being the artists mark across the art somehow. Maybe make them untradeable just to prevent any mishaps...

I think it would be neat at least.

Flairina
06-19-2015, 10:25 AM

The Psionic Acolyte is a Necrotic who's using poor Rana's body. Rana Dune once was a human.
I love that my name is mentioned in the flavor text! This has definitely been a fun experience. :)

Oh wow, didn't even know that one was a vanity card. Think you might just have the coolest one thus far, certainly the most picturesque- which seems fitting, given the flavor text.

I agree with Xenavire, that'd be a cool bonus to those who have them. :D

EntropyBall
06-19-2015, 11:26 AM
One of the Likeness Pics used:
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu64/Stok3d-Photos/NickCherney-MayanRiviera_zps1c481572.jpg

You look kinda like Daniel Craig, the guy who played the latest James Bond.

wolzarg
06-19-2015, 11:32 AM
TL : DR stoked won me a draft in 5 color necrotic deck!

WWKnight
06-19-2015, 09:18 PM
I seem to have missed the boat?

I have a vanity card due, but dont remember ever being asked for a picture or anything?

Who should I contact to get that ball rolling?

Xexist
06-19-2015, 09:55 PM

Yours is gorgeous, and BOSSHOSS, yours is Badass.

This totally makes me regret not getting one.

Halsey
06-19-2015, 11:22 PM

Common perhaps, but certainly not feeble, and the probably my favorite art of the vanity cards I've seen.

Though I haven't seen one I wouldn't be proud of, and it speaks volumes to me that everyone I've seen mention their vanity cards has seemed to be happy with the results. The effort Hex Ent puts in to put the fans first truly shows in all of them.

RanaDunes
06-20-2015, 05:19 AM
Common perhaps, but certainly not feeble, and the probably my favorite art of the vanity cards I've seen.

Though I haven't seen one I wouldn't be proud of, and it speaks volumes to me that everyone I've seen mention their vanity cards has seemed to be happy with the results. The effort Hex Ent puts in to put the fans first truly shows in all of them.

Aww thank you! :D

Yes, I really think HexEnt were very professional with their kickstarter rewards and how they handled them. I honestly didn't expect THIS kind of art quality. I am very happy with my vanity card!

I mean they really carried away all the detail I mentioned like the Raven, Piano, Candles, Portrait...etc (the skull comes with the original picture :p). Beautiful work. :)

I just hope I don't get milled to death by this Necrotic evil being who stole my body!! :p

KingGabriel
06-20-2015, 05:36 AM
You cheated and got your appearance displayed twice over! :P

Mahes
06-20-2015, 05:36 AM
The art used for your card Ranadunes reminds me of a Warg in Game of Thrones. The art for this game is top notch.

RanaDunes
06-20-2015, 05:52 AM
You cheated and got your appearance displayed twice over! :P

Lol! Shhhhh... don't tell anyone. :p
It's really been a fun experience to describe a fictional character and a scene and you just see it come to life!

The art used for your card Ranadunes reminds me of a Warg in Game of Thrones. The art for this game is top notch.

Yes, that's why I love Necrotics and how they use bodies of other beings as vessels and how the eye goes blank. But this Necrotic in particular seems to be very magical with that bluish glow. Poor Rana! :p

Stok3d
06-20-2015, 06:29 AM
@ The_Lannisters & EntropyBall - Thanks! That pic was taken about 10 years ago and I need to get back into the gym. That said, who doesn't want to send a pic you like though for a card? :)

I have a vanity card due, but dont remember ever being asked for a picture or anything?

I pm'd the info. I remember hanging out at Gencon (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23679) with you and your posting in the Dragon Lord Thread (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23523). You likely just missed the email.

WolfCrypt
06-20-2015, 08:52 AM
Yes, that's why I love Necrotics and how they use bodies of other beings as vessels and how the eye goes blank. But this Necrotic in particular seems to be very magical with that bluish glow. Poor Rana! :p

Um Necrotic's can only use humans as Necrotic's its impossible to raise other species except as zombies/spirits/skeletons. And she might be grafted with Sapphires there are a few cards with Necrotic's of diff gem eyes.

NoahBuddy
06-20-2015, 08:57 AM
when i read the flavor text on the angel of judgement i had a suspicion it was you stoked. cool card also bosshoss

WolfCrypt
06-20-2015, 09:01 AM
I wish I had a vanity card haha, I probably have to do with Ozawa or be a Brairwood elf.

RanaDunes
06-20-2015, 09:33 AM
Um Necrotic's can only use humans as Necrotic's its impossible to raise other species except as zombies/spirits/skeletons. And she might be grafted with Sapphires there are a few cards with Necrotic's of diff gem eyes.

And that's exactly what I said?
Rana was human.

WolfCrypt
06-20-2015, 09:39 AM
And that's exactly what I said?
Rana was human.

Well you said specifically other species and technically speaking Necrotic's are human just corpses brought to live by a hive mind. So saying other species made me think you meant non human races. I just consider Necrotic to be human and given by their "Sleeping/Awakened" believes they do too. I didn't mean to insult or snap just kinda bugged me.

Flairina
06-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Heh, yeah, the vanity card opportunity was sadly too expensive for most of us <25 year olds. Maybe CZE will run a contest or something in the future for something similar? Probably not, but I have to hold out hope for something. ^^;

hex_colin
06-20-2015, 10:16 AM
Heh, yeah, the vanity card opportunity was sadly too expensive for most of us <25 year olds. Maybe CZE will run a contest or something in the future for something similar? Probably not, but I have to hold out hope for something. ^^;

Donate to the 4 day Charity Stream at the beginning of July! :)

Flairina
06-20-2015, 10:23 AM

Well, there we go then! :D

Xenavire
06-20-2015, 10:28 AM

So thats happening again? Wish I could help out somehow.

MasterN64
06-20-2015, 10:50 AM

Wait your not giving away a vanity card are you? Thats something i would never expect someone to do. But we have all figured out by now your insane. Insane with charity and good.

Halsey
06-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Wait your not giving away a vanity card are you? Thats something i would never expect someone to do. But we have all figured out by now your insane. Insane with charity and good.

I'm going with he's hinting at Hex Ent giving one away. I'm guessing there will be ways to get vanity cards going forward anyway. Probably not in the mass that they were available during the kickstarter, and I doubt they'll 'sell' them going forward, but I can't see them never adding more. AA's and vanity cards seem be things they realy enjoy getting out there to excite the players.

Oh, and I should add, Rana's card still takes first for vanity card art in my opinion, but Collin's Highland Magus is just amazingly well put together as a whole, from the art to the card text to the flavor text, it all just comes together perfectly.

Shaqattaq
06-20-2015, 12:18 PM

We sent out an email to email accounts that players used when backing HEX on Kickstarter about two years ago. Some people didn't respond, others chose to wait to see how Entrath develops before submitting their ideas, but most did give us their info and we are trying to put in as many vanity cards as we can within each set. Once Armies of Myth launches, we'll send an email out again players who didn't respond. I've sent you a PM with what we need in case you would prefer not to wait for that info.

RanaDunes
06-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Well you said specifically other species and technically speaking Necrotic's are human just corpses brought to live by a hive mind. So saying other species made me think you meant non human races. I just consider Necrotic to be human and given by their "Sleeping/Awakened" believes they do too. I didn't mean to insult or snap just kinda bugged me.

I didn't say species I said beings and I meant humans.
What I understand is that Necrotics are not humans but they use human bodies to manifest. I could be wrong. :)

WolfCrypt
06-20-2015, 05:09 PM
They use humans and they can't use any other bodies it seems they might have tried and nothing came of it.

Mr.Funsocks
06-20-2015, 08:32 PM
Makes me sad that I was technically spending my parents' money when the KS was going... I totally have a job and a few thousand bucks I could spend on it now! I want to be on a vanity card... with my dog... and maybe my cats... My dog's really photogenic too, look: 3570

Erukk
06-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Makes me sad that I was technically spending my parents' money when the KS was going... I totally have a job and a few thousand bucks I could spend on it now! I want to be on a vanity card... with my dog... and maybe my cats... My dog's really photogenic too, look: 3570

I wonder if pet vanity cards would be half off? :p

I'll see your sleepy time dog and raise you lazy sleepy cat! Don't let his fat and fuzzy exterior fool you though. He's a bear trap waiting to be sprung on anyone foolish enough to dare step over him. You could almost say he gains swiftstrike while blocking. ;)

OutlandishMatt
06-21-2015, 12:10 AM

But my streak...

wolzarg
06-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Here is my spawn of satan... i mean cute pet. She is holding her baby piglet so its not a good time to mess with her right there.
http://i.imgur.com/9sqVwdu.jpg

Mr.Funsocks
06-21-2015, 09:42 PM
Yay rotties! (you can't see it but that's what Tyson is, with German Shepherd) Also, no shame about this thread suddenly becoming a thread about pictures of pets.

wolzarg
06-22-2015, 01:01 AM
Yay rotties! (you can't see it but that's what Tyson is, with German Shepherd) Also, no shame about this thread suddenly becoming a thread about pictures of pets.
Nono i can totally see it, its in the subtle grace of the way they always look like they got clubbed unconscious every time they lay down and stretch out.

nickon
06-22-2015, 01:21 AM
Just wanted to say I absolutely love your vanity card as well RanaDunes :)

One of the, if not THE best piece of art in Set 3 overall!

Mr.Funsocks
06-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Nono i can totally see it, its in the subtle grace of the way they always look like they got clubbed unconscious every time they lay down and stretch out.

That pretty well describes his sleeping behaviors... Also he's asleep on me right now.