PDA

View Full Version : GameForge: Convocation convention packs during convention season

Vorsa
06-19-2015, 08:30 AM
Not sure how many people frequent the GameForge boards, but in the UK they are always fun on a Friday as they do their weekly update earlier than Hex Entertainment in the US. :D

http://board.hex.gameforge.com/board28-english-section-en/board35-updates-important-information/2227-terror-conventions-goodies/

Conventions and Convocation Packs
Like in previous years, HEX will be attending quite some conventions this year (e.g. GenCon and gamescom). Why not celebrate this in-game as well?

How does it work and what do I get?

It's pretty easy actually:
The promotion starts in-game on July 30th at 19:00 CEST and ends on August 6th at 19:00 CEST. All you have to do is play the game like you are used to. These packs will be provided, with a small chance, from the following locations :

Tournaments (participation prize): 1x convocation pack 2015, top prize: 1x convocation pack 2013/14
Proving Grounds (for all winners): Chance to get a convocation pack 2013/14 or a convocation pack 2015
Arena: Chance on every loot table to get a convocation pack 2013/14 or a convocation pack 2015

There is a varying chance that these convocation packs can be obtained in the game.

Exciting news - I foresee much arena farming by me in that week, though the tournament participation prize is a definite plan B with that sweet guarantee. :cool:

Zophie
06-19-2015, 08:37 AM
Heh I posted this link on reddit because I wasn't sure if it'd be cool to post here, but the cats out of the bag now I guess ;)

Also cool that we're all getting Exiled Bard AA Sleeves!

I also think it's cool what they're doing with their "Innovations and Inventions" articles explaining what sets Hex apart from that other game:

http://board.hex.gameforge.com/board28-english-section-en/board35-updates-important-information/2212-hex-innovations-and-inventions-escalation/

Kami
06-19-2015, 08:43 AM
Wonder what's in the Convocation Packs.

Zophie
06-19-2015, 08:45 AM
It looks like it might be the merc/AAs/etc rewards they promised we'd be able to earn in game during conventions, but we'll need to wait for confirmation of that. I hope the grinding for them isn't too punishing in PG/Arena, definitely going to do everything I can to collect them all though!

nicosharp
06-19-2015, 08:48 AM
sounds like it will be covered in the Friday update as well. (or should be)

Vorsa
06-19-2015, 08:55 AM
Heh I posted this link on reddit because I wasn't sure if it'd be cool to post here, but the cats out of the bag now I guess ;)

Also cool that we're all getting Exiled Bard AA Sleeves!

I also think it's cool what they're doing with their "Innovations and Inventions" articles explaining what sets Hex apart from that other game:

http://board.hex.gameforge.com/board28-english-section-en/board35-updates-important-information/2212-hex-innovations-and-inventions-escalation/

D'oh - didn't think it could be under wraps!
Well I won't repost if an admin wants to sweep this away. :)

Cannot get much cheekier of a title for that article than "It's Not Magic!!"

Zophie
06-19-2015, 08:57 AM
D'oh - didn't think it could be under wraps!
Well I won't repost if an admin wants to sweep this away. :)

I'm sure it's fine, just excited we got some tasty info like that early ;)

Salverus
06-19-2015, 08:59 AM
i am terribly confused, is this for players on these events only, for players at home as well?
Packs from the proving grounds, isnt that what went horribly wrong last time with the bunny AA?

Zophie
06-19-2015, 09:02 AM
i am terribly confused, is this for players on these events only, for players at home as well?
Packs from the proving grounds, isnt that what went horribly wrong last time with the bunny AA?

It's an in-game event for players at home. As far as rewards from PG it sounds like it'll be a random drop, and it would only be from using the Random Opponent feature, and remember they are always tracking everything so if you try to game the system you will be caught

ossuary
06-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Well shit, looks like I'm going to owe Bullus two booster packs after all. :p

ryuukan
06-19-2015, 09:43 AM
ugh now I have to care about Gencon 2015 rewards instead of complaining about them

Xenavire
06-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Well shit, looks like I'm going to owe Bullus two booster packs after all. :p

Who could have guessed? I am equally surprised. :p

ugh now I have to care about Gencon 2015 rewards instead of complaining about them

Better than feeling left out - we have a gencon event to hype for!

wolzarg
06-19-2015, 11:38 AM
Pre selling mercs and AA's at 2k plat far bellow current market price. :P

Thoom
06-19-2015, 12:03 PM
It's an in-game event for players at home. As far as rewards from PG it sounds like it'll be a random drop, and it would only be from using the Random Opponent feature, and remember they are always tracking everything so if you try to game the system you will be caught

I hope there's something more to it than a random drop from the random opponent queue. Like taking game time into account. Because even if they can catch people gaming the system, a bunch of idiots are going to do it anyway and get banned and cause a week of unpleasant arguing on all the community sites.

Zophie
06-19-2015, 12:09 PM
I hope there's something more to it than a random drop from the random opponent queue. Like taking game time into account. Because even if they can catch people gaming the system, a bunch of idiots are going to do it anyway and get banned and cause a week of unpleasant arguing on all the community sites.

I'm pretty sure the large number of players we'll have in that time period combined with the fact that it's random matchmaking and a random drop (and probably low chance of drop) from winning the match will be enough to prevent this from being an issue. Besides, wasn't the issue before due to a temporary bug that was fixed shortly after? I'm not worried, HXE knows what they're doing :)

Thoom
06-19-2015, 12:22 PM
Game theory tells me that if there is an exploit, people will abuse it. It also tells me that if the system is as simple as "x% chance of convocation pack on random PG victory", there will be an exploit that is easily abused, that scales with the number of abusers.

But yeah, HXE does know what they're doing and hopefully the system will be smarter than the one I just described.

ossuary
06-19-2015, 12:28 PM
They learned their lesson from the whole Concubunny AA thing. I'm sure you won't be able to win anything by choosing a random opponent and immediately conceding - in that case, probably neither player will get anything.

israel.kendall
06-19-2015, 12:30 PM
They learned their lesson from the whole Concubunny AA thing. I'm sure you won't be able to win anything by choosing a random opponent and immediately conceding - in that case, probably neither player will get anything.

That wasn't a bug? I didn't think they had intentionally put the Concubunny AA in those sparring rewards.

Zophie
06-19-2015, 12:38 PM
That wasn't a bug? I didn't think they had intentionally put the Concubunny AA in those sparring rewards.

Yeah I could be wrong here but I think that it was accidentally added as a "tournament reward" for joining the 2 player tournaments, and people would concede right away and earn them. Then they fixed it right away and dealt with the players who abused it.

Xenavire
06-19-2015, 12:40 PM
Just because it was a bug doesn't mean they couldn't learn from it. It was a good display of what would happen.

hex_colin
06-19-2015, 12:41 PM

They updated the prizes for all tournament queues and forgot to exclude the head-to-head queue. Stuff happens.

Yeah, folks conceding repeatedly to try to farm GenCon packs in PG will likely say goodbye to anything they earn and be taking a long holiday from the game. Not worth it. As I've mentioned before, DataDragon is literally tracking EVERYTHING... ;)

Showsni
06-19-2015, 01:11 PM
I think I'd probably rather farm arena for the drops than proving grounds, anyway. In PG, assuming I hit players of similar skill level/deck, there's only a 50/50 chance of winning. I know how to win arena. Provided the droprate isn't much lower in arena, of course...

israel.kendall
06-19-2015, 01:12 PM
Just because it was a bug doesn't mean they couldn't learn from it. It was a good display of what would happen.

Learn something they likely already knew, I imagine.

Thoom
06-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Yeah, folks conceding repeatedly to try to farm GenCon packs in PG will likely say goodbye to anything they earn and be taking a long holiday from the game. Not worth it. As I've mentioned before, DataDragon is literally tracking EVERYTHING... ;)

I'm not looking forward to the inevitable complaint threads when people get banned, but I guess I can just take a few days vacation from the forums.

I think I'd probably rather farm arena for the drops than proving grounds, anyway. In PG, assuming I hit players of similar skill level/deck, there's only a 50/50 chance of winning. I know how to win arena. Provided the droprate isn't much lower in arena, of course...

Given that HexEnt presumably has data on the average game length in PG and on the average game length and win rate of Arena players, presumably the EV of both will be tuned to be similar. Though maybe PG will get a boost because you're not earning anything else while you play there.

facade
06-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Ok, time to clear that week of any responsibilities. If drops are "a small chance" and if each pack only has one item, it's going to take a while to get a playset of those clouds. I imagine my luck will be just getting the equipment over and over from the few Convocation Packs I do receive.

I imagine that in trying to get those clouds I'll be getting grumpier than a storm cloud on a rainy day.
https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/StormCloudAAx450.png

Xenavire
06-19-2015, 01:45 PM
So... Physical convocation packs will exist for Gencon, which is neat. But it sounds like sleeves will be rarer this time? Better see if my contacts can try to hook me up with one for my fiancee, since getting 2x seems a lot to ask upfront. Maybe I will luck out though.

And I think the poster is nice, but the 2014 poster suits me better. I can see it being quite the collectors item, will have to see what my contacts can do about it - its a poster/sleeve I don't feel I need though. All in all everything is looking great though.

israel.kendall
06-19-2015, 01:47 PM
Storm Cloud AA is a dream come true, does he make AA Stormlings?

funktion
06-19-2015, 01:57 PM
I've been wanting to talk about this so badly since I saw it at their offices a few weeks ago. The idea of a physical foil pack with a promo inside blew me away. That and the poster is gorgeous. So excited for gen con.

Thoom
06-19-2015, 02:00 PM
I've been wanting to talk about this so badly since I saw it at their offices a few weeks ago. The idea of a physical foil pack with a promo inside blew me away. That and the poster is gorgeous. So excited for gen con.

Oh wow, the pack is physical? That's amazing. I was just picturing one of the standard promo cardboards with a scratch off code that rewarded a random thing from the loot table.

Incindium
06-19-2015, 02:03 PM
I will spend both my days at Gencon collecting these physical foil packs so in the end I can swim in them Scrooge McDuck style.