PDA

View Full Version : HEX Update - The Convocation

Shaqattaq
06-19-2015, 01:21 PM
In 2013 and 2014, players were able to attend select conventions and get awesome prizes for playing HEX, chatting with us, or just being a real cool person. Each time, we informed players that fret not—if you can’t meet us at conventions, we’d make those items (except sleeves) available to players online. That time is now—or rather, next month. So, really soon.

https://www.hextcg.com/hex-update-the-convocation/

Thoom
06-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Just FYI, you linked to the wrong forum post from the update.

I'm super hyped to be at GenCon. The Arena-vs-Arena PVP format and the PVE-PVP draft format both sound like they're going to be oodles of fun.

Flairina
06-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Oh wow, that is going to be one hectic week. I'm already excited; get HYPED! :D

yoyogod
06-19-2015, 01:34 PM
I'm glad the Gencon stuff is being released, but from looking at that, I have some concerns.

What I'm most interested in are the Mercs, which are all in the 2013-14 pack. Unless I get really luck in draft, I have almost no chance of winning a tournament, and I don't really use the proving grounds, so the best chance I have of getting them are from the smaller chance in arena. Are we talking encountering Uruunaz small chance, or do have some chance of getting these without having to buy them on the AH?

Also, as much as I like the PVE cards and equipment, I want to know why are there no mercs in the 2015 pack.

Shaqattaq
06-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Just FYI, you linked to the wrong forum post from the update.

I'm super hyped to be at GenCon. The Arena-vs-Arena PVP format and the PVE-PVP draft format both sound like they're going to be oodles of fun.

/shakes fist at website

Thank you =)

vickrpg
06-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Wow, that 2013-2014 pack is madness. The value of AA Ozawas will drop a mile... or tourney winners will be printing money for a while.

Shaqattaq
06-19-2015, 01:44 PM
I'm glad the Gencon stuff is being released, but from looking at that, I have some concerns.

What I'm most interested in are the Mercs, which are all in the 2013-14 pack. Unless I get really luck in draft, I have almost no chance of winning a tournament, and I don't really use the proving grounds, so the best chance I have of getting them are from the smaller chance in arena. Are we talking encountering Uruunaz small chance, or do have some chance of getting these without having to buy them on the AH?

Also, as much as I like the PVE cards and equipment, I want to know why are there no mercs in the 2015 pack.

With the pack across all variety of formats, this is a great chance to look at different modes of play. Can I ask why you don't use Proving Grounds? I can't speak to the specific chance of each dropping, but I can say with players across the world collecting these packs for an entire week, the chance you may find someone to trade with is high even if you don't receive the exact item you want through your own matches.

The 2015 pack is a little bit different than the 2013/14 pack, yes. With Frost Ring Arena out right now, it seemed like a great opportunity to combine equipment with some awesome PVE cards all together in a lovely theme. You may see mercenaries in the future, as the pack doesn't have a standard template from year-to-year.

hacky
06-19-2015, 01:44 PM
Physical Convocation Pack question:

"If you attend Gen Con and play at our LAN, you’ll earn physical 2015 Convocation packs. Each pack has one scratch-off card with redeemable code representing each of the items listed above in the 2015 Convocation pack, but added to that list is the Cloud King sleeve!"

Does this mean that the physical pack will give us one of each of the things, i.e. one of each of the cards? So getting four physical packs will be enough to playset? :)

Shaqattaq
06-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Wow, that 2013-2014 pack is madness. The value of AA Ozawas will drop a mile... or tourney winners will be printing money for a while.

Remember, the items are at varying rarities in both packs. Players don't get all items-- each pack has one item from the its loot table, and each item has its own chance of appearing.

Physical Convocation Pack question:

"If you attend Gen Con and play at our LAN, you’ll earn physical 2015 Convocation packs. Each pack has one scratch-off card with redeemable code representing each of the items listed above in the 2015 Convocation pack, but added to that list is the Cloud King sleeve!"

Does this mean that the physical pack will give us one of each of the things, i.e. one of each of the cards? So getting four physical packs will be enough to playset? :)

Each 2015 pack has one item, identical to the digital pack. The only change with the physical pack is that the sleeve is added to the "loot table" so to speak.

hacky
06-19-2015, 01:49 PM
Each 2015 pack has one item, identical to the digital pack. The only change with the physical pack is that the sleeve is added to the "loot table" so to speak.

Got it! Thanks!

*begins planning* :)

Incindium
06-19-2015, 01:49 PM
Yeah I had the same question as Hacky... although I think its a typo otherwise why would getting to the finals in a GenCon draft guarantee you a Sleeve Code if you already got one in each Physical Convocation Pack.

Edit: Already answered.

yoyogod
06-19-2015, 01:50 PM
With the pack across all variety of formats, this is a great chance to look at different modes of play. Can I ask why you don't use Proving Grounds? I can't speak to the specific chance of each dropping, but I can say with players across the world collecting these packs for an entire week, the chance you may find someone to trade with is high even if you don't receive the exact item you want through your own matches.

I'm more PVE focused, but I suppose this might be a good opportunity to get out there and try to see if I can make a PVP deck that can win a few matched in the proving grounds.

Mike411
06-19-2015, 01:51 PM

Yeah I was expecting the gencon stuff from prior years to be the same difficulty to earn as this years... no idea why they decided to make the past year stuff harder. Hopefully the 2013/2014 is a decent chance to drop in arena.

Shaqattaq
06-19-2015, 01:51 PM
Yeah I had the same question as Hacky... although I think its a typo otherwise why would getting to the finals in a GenCon draft guarantee you a Sleeve Code if you already got one in each Physical Convocation Pack.

The 2015 physical pack has one card, and each card represents its corresponding item from the pack's loot table. I've edited the piece for more clarity. The sleeve is not a guaranteed item this year. It is one of the items you can potentially open.

Incindium
06-19-2015, 01:52 PM
Yeah I only need Ozawa AA's... getting 4 of those are going to be difficult it seems.

hacky
06-19-2015, 01:53 PM
I think I get it now: the physical codes will be on a card with one of the cards/equipment on it. So the code will be for that card/equip [edit: OR] the sleeve. Much like the Jovial Pippit AAs from last GenCon.

Very sweet touch. Those physical code cards were really nice, glad to see we'll have a variety to collect this year. Physical trading too. :D

yoyogod
06-19-2015, 01:55 PM
I just thought of something, will dungeon crawler increase the chances of getting packs to drop in the arena?

rstrbn
06-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the update, I am excited to be able to get the GenCon rewards.

Should the VIP tournament that I assume is next weekend 6/26-6/28 have been included in the update?

Svidurr
06-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Bummed I won't be able to make it to Gencon for the Hex poster/sleeve. That graphic is fantastic! If anyone might be kind enough to purchase an extra for me I'd be happy to compensate (and be eternally grateful).

Shaqattaq
06-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the update, I am excited to be able to get the GenCon rewards.

Should the VIP tournament that I assume is next weekend 6/26-6/28 have been included in the update?

Yes, VIP is happening. I have that reminder slated for Monday.

bootlace
06-19-2015, 02:04 PM
I'm drooling looking at all those shiny packs and items, you guys really know how to make some addicting digital products xD.

Question 1:

I noticed the equipment have gotten a neat card templating to represent them visually in a more familiar way. Is this going to the new standard from now on with every equipment having such a card representation available somewhere?

Question 2:

Note that these packs will never be available in-game again after this event.

Does this also mean the contents of those packs will never be available in-game again, or do you reserve the right to reprint or give those items out in other ways in the future?

Flairina
06-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Quick question- when it says each pack "has a chance to drop from all loot tables", does that include arena opponents who usually only drop gold?

katkillad
06-19-2015, 02:08 PM
I'm like 2 hours away from the Gencon location, for the people who have gone in the past what is the wait like for the Hex Daily stuff? If you just did nothing but Hex for like 8 hours how many packs would you end up with?

Incindium
06-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Last year on Friday there were free stations open to play most times with limited waiting. Would guess it would be a little busier this year but dunno if they'll have more computers available or not.

Wingbirdx
06-19-2015, 02:14 PM
Bummed with the choice to make the older pack harder to obtain and the small amount of time given.

Shaqattaq
06-19-2015, 02:15 PM
I'm drooling looking at all those shiny packs and items, you guys really know how to make some addicting digital products xD.

Question 1:

I noticed the equipment have gotten a neat card templating to represent them visually in a more familiar way. Is this going to the new standard from now on with every equipment having such a card representation available somewhere?

Question 2:

Does this also mean the contents of those packs will never be available in-game again, or do you reserve the right to reprint or give those items out in other ways in the future?

1 - Not necessarily. That's how we could best represent them on a scratch-off TCG card. My next big project once Armies of Myth launches is presentation of game items outside of the client, so there will be a more formalized way these are presented in the future.

2 - You will not see these items dropping again in-game, nor will we reprint the physical packs. You could find a player selling or trading their pack or scratch-off card years down the road, sure, but we are not making more.

Kroan
06-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Question. How quick were the posters gone last year and if they it was super fast, why did you guys opt for such a limited option again. I'm really afraid I won't be able to grab one as trophy of me being there xD (Already super sad I missed out on the drafts that were gone in two minutes, hah!)

Anyway. All this stuff makes me way to excited. Time to cool down somewhere :D

Shaqattaq
06-19-2015, 02:21 PM
I just thought of something, will dungeon crawler increase the chances of getting packs to drop in the arena?

Yes, because you receive another loot table roll.

Quick question- when it says each pack "has a chance to drop from all loot tables", does that include arena opponents who usually only drop gold?

No. There is no loot table roll there.

Incindium
06-19-2015, 02:22 PM
I got a poster last year like at 4:00pm Friday afternoon and had no problems getting one.

Shaqattaq
06-19-2015, 02:24 PM
Question. How quick were the posters gone last year and if they it was super fast, why did you guys opt for such a limited option again. I'm really afraid I won't be able to grab one as trophy of me being there xD (Already super sad I missed out on the drafts that were gone in two minutes, hah!)

Anyway. All this stuff makes me way to excited. Time to cool down somewhere :D

We had very, very few posters left at the end of the convention, so not quite a sellout. But, past results are not necessarily informing of future results. =) And we are going to stick to the limited quantities each day to ensure 1-day badge holders have a chance, so players who miss out on one day will have to come back the next day.

Salverus
06-19-2015, 02:24 PM
thank you for the update, a good Friday update to read with many details, but one question:

are we talking xocoy drop rate rare or uruunaz spawn rate rare?

Lafoote
06-19-2015, 02:28 PM
thank you for the update, a good Friday update to read with many details, but one question:

That was my question too. If we're dealing with Uruunaz small chance, then it's not realistic to expect to pull one.

NaryaDL0re
06-19-2015, 02:42 PM
People who are able to attend and dont live in germany on a budget should PM me talk about how awesome the Storm King sleeves are ~.~ .......

Glae
06-19-2015, 03:00 PM
Are there any plans to sell the poster and shirt online this year? I mean, I know it was announced the 2014 one would be available but that never seemed to happen.

Yoss
06-19-2015, 03:31 PM

Yeah I was expecting the gencon stuff from prior years to be the same difficulty to earn as this years... no idea why they decided to make the past year stuff harder. Hopefully the 2013/2014 is a decent chance to drop in arena.

Bummed with the choice to make the older pack harder to obtain and the small amount of time given.

That was my question too. If we're dealing with Uruunaz small chance, then it's not realistic to expect to pull one.

Add me to the list wanting answer to the above. Why is farming online being made so difficult? If I attend your event for 8 hours (a full day's work), will that be enough to get all the goodies? Maybe I should need to put in three days' work since it's 3 years' worth of GenCon awards? Will even 24 hours be enough (as if I could somehow put in 24 hours in a week)? If the answer is 8 hours per Con, then why not give separate weeks for each Con to have its rewards on the loot tables?

Shaqattaq
06-19-2015, 03:47 PM
We've communicated the drop rates in the article itself, and we are happy with both that and the time frame the event is slated to run.

dogmod
06-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Add me to the list wanting answer to the above. Why is farming online being made so difficult? If I attend your event for 8 hours (a full day's work), will that be enough to get all the goodies? Maybe I should need to put in three days' work since it's 3 years' worth of GenCon awards? Will even 24 hours be enough (as if I could somehow put in 24 hours in a week)? If the answer is 8 hours per Con, then why not give separate weeks for each Con to have its rewards on the loot tables?

Doesn't seem that difficult to me compared to the difficulty and cost of going to a con. And I prefer not to hear the lame "Well someone could be living right next to the con and find a free pass on the ground and therefore it should be as easy online as it is in person for that singular mythical person."

People don't even know the drop rates and they are complaining about how hard it is to get something ??

Yoss
06-19-2015, 04:04 PM
We've communicated the drop rates in the article itself
Maybe I am missing something, but I do not see "drop rates" there. I see vague terms that could mean almost anything between zero and one hundred percent (non-inclusive).

Proving Grounds
In random matchmaking, the winner has a small chance to receive the 2015 Convocation Pack, smaller chance to get the 2013/2014 Convocation Pack.

Frost Ring Arena
On each loot table, there is a small chance to receive the 2015 Convocation Pack, smaller chance to get the 2013/2014 Convocation Pack.
What does "small chance" and "smaller chance" mean? I can assume that "small chance" is less than 50% probably, and "smaller chance" is obviously lower than "small chance" but that's still not very helpful.

Flairina
06-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Yes, because you receive another loot table roll.

No. There is no loot table roll there.

Okay, didn't think so; just making sure.

dogmod
06-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Maybe I am missing something, but I do not see "drop rates" there. I see vague terms that could mean almost anything between zero and one hundred percent (non-inclusive).

What does "small chance" and "smaller chance" mean? I can assume that "small chance" is less than 50% probably, and "smaller chance" is obviously lower than "small chance" but that's still not very helpful.

Maybe the more salient point is the fact that you are complaining about the difficulty of getting something that you hve no idea the difficulty of getting.

Yoss
06-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Maybe the more salient point is the fact that you are complaining about the difficulty of getting something that you hve no idea the difficulty of getting.

Notice me asking to know what the drop rate is? (That's what you just quoted.)

Kolokee
06-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Will the shirt/playmat be purchasable on amazon?

Also, I know digital playmats are planned to eventually be included in game. Will physical playmats purchases come with a code to unlock the digital version for when that feature exists?

on

Kalmaive
06-19-2015, 04:46 PM
I share the concerns that the 2013/14 is harder to get than the 2015, but I guess it all depends on the drop rates. I do appreciate how the rewards are available from Frost Ring, tournaments, and proving grounds. Is there going to be a system in place to prevent players from just queuing up in PG and conceding over and over again to farm the rewards?

dogmod
06-19-2015, 04:50 PM
Notice me asking to know what the drop rate is? (That's what you just quoted.)

I never found you to be one of the obtuse people who would conveniently forget all of their other posts on a forum to try and win an argument.

Shaqattaq
06-19-2015, 04:59 PM
I share the concerns that the 2013/14 is harder to get than the 2015, but I guess it all depends on the drop rates. I do appreciate how the rewards are available from Frost Ring, tournaments, and proving grounds. Is there going to be a system in place to prevent players from just queuing up in PG and conceding over and over again to farm the rewards?

We try to include Proving Grounds in these programs as that's a great place for people to pick up a match at any time, especially for new players with their starter decks. We want to reward those players with a chance at the Convocation pack. We identified abuse of Proving Grounds in the past regarding a reward and took action against those accounts. We continually monitor HEX for irregular activity, and we do have a system in place to prevent abuse. If players circumvent that system, that and any other abuse of Proving Grounds will be addressed as we have in the past.

Cortei
06-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Here's hoping I can get those days off. Hate to spend the money and not be able to go.

For those wondering, past GenCons have swung both ways when it comes to lines. Big improvement year over year though, so I'm being optimistic that the trend of max wait time being ~10 minutes continues. Max line depth of like 6 people last year, and that has more to do with how well the LAN performs.

First year doing the LAN definitely felt like a learning experience for them.

For those asking for play time v. rewards at the event, I just played until I got a playset of everything with some extras for trading. Took 4-6 hours over a couple of days. This year looks harder because of the randomness of things, and the splitting up of event tickets to daily and for a definitive number of people. Here's hoping the trading spirit is among the others playing, because I plan on trading extras of things for what I'm missing.

IronPheasant
06-19-2015, 06:10 PM

In my lexicon, small chance translates to 4 to 5%. Smaller would equate to 1.5 to 2.5%.

Thus, something in the neighborhood of 400 drops or 160 tiers cleared for close to a playset.

Yes it's all very buddhist. Desire is the source of all suffering and all that.

Shaqattaq
06-19-2015, 06:15 PM
Yeah, the first year's focus was on execution of the event. Year two allowed a lot more tuning. This year, we're building on that and trying different events while also trying to accommodate more drafters, as that is our highest-demand event.

The number one hurdle with Gen Con is that our game just doesn't scale with demand like any other game there. We're limited to the computers we have on-site and the space allotted to us. Demand is also not linear across the day. There are lots of computers open in the morning and demand goes up as time passes, peaking in the evening because the exhibition hall closes and the night-owls are up.

I cannot recommend enough coming in the morning when the LAN opens at 9 AM and playing games then. Though me saying this could theoretically cause the bottleneck to happen in the morning as everyone heeds my advice, but I know gamers well enough to be confident that won't happen. ;)

Yoss
06-19-2015, 06:15 PM
I never found you to be one of the obtuse people who would conveniently forget all of their other posts on a forum to try and win an argument.

Consider this my apology for the other posts then. Perhaps I am flailing about for a way to get across my emotional response to this announcement, which is a bit negative (at least for now).

My core issue: I remain worried that my substantial commitment to the event will be insufficient to gain the rewards, so my comments along those lines remain. I will add further clarification that I care not at all for AA and sleeves (in the sense that I am fine with them being exclusive or hard to get). It is the functional items that I care about. I really, really don't like the idea of locking game content away where a reasonably dedicated player* can't get to it.

* I consider myself "reasonably dedicated" obviously, and if pressed for a precise definition (which is all that matters, and why "small chance" bothers me in the article) I'd say anything above 10 hours per week qualifies. I am well aware that some gamers play an order of magnitude more than that, and they can be the ones who have time to get not just all the content, but all the bling and achievements as well. Perhaps we can call them "supremely dedicated" players, which is what it should take to be a completionist.

Shaqattaq
06-19-2015, 06:35 PM
Every player's expectations are different. Their experiences will be different due to the variety of items available and which ones that particular player desires, but again-- we are happy with the current implementation of the program and believe players will enjoy the Convocation week. We have dedicated time and energy to make sure players of all types have ways in which to earn these packs. Yes, a person who desires more than one item will spend more time than someone who only desires one item, but that's the general nature of everything in the universe.

Lukezors
06-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Every player's expectations are different. Their experiences will be different due to the variety of items available and which ones that particular player desires, but again-- we are happy with the current implementation of the program and believe players will enjoy the Convocation week. We have dedicated time and energy to make sure players of all types have ways in which to earn these packs. Yes, a person who desires more than one item will spend more time than someone who only desires one item, but that's the general nature of everything in the universe.

Would it be possible to answer this? Do you expect that a player would get at least 1 pack(either year) per full arena run?

poizonous
06-19-2015, 08:50 PM
So am I correct in assuming sleeves will only be obtainable in person?

Yoss
06-19-2015, 09:18 PM
So am I correct in assuming sleeves will only be obtainable in person?

Or on the out-of-game market, yes.

Maylick
06-19-2015, 10:04 PM
Hey, HexEnt. Are you guys sure record in Gauntlet must be 5-0, not 5-x for 2013/2014 pack?

You would really drag people into Gauntlet to have fun with new mode if it would be 5-x.

elfstone
06-19-2015, 10:37 PM
While I'd love it to be 5-X, Im assuming its 5-0 because your supposed to "win" the tourney, like in draft or sealed. And you only do that with no losses. It would make gauntlet by far the easiest way to gain these packs otherwise.

poizonous
06-20-2015, 12:33 AM
While I'd love it to be 5-X, Im assuming its 5-0 because your supposed to "win" the tourney, like in draft or sealed. And you only do that with no losses. It would make gauntlet by far the easiest way to gain these packs otherwise.

this is why i thought the payouts in gauntlet should actually be higher for 5-0 outside of the event also. Like 6 packs for going 5-1 or 5-2, and maybe 7 or 8 packs for going 5-0... it seems more enticing

spankydonkey
06-20-2015, 12:45 AM
In the case of Gauntlet, all participants receive the 2015 Convocation Pack. 5-0 records receive the 2013/14 Convocation pack

As Gauntlet can take any amount of time to finish playing, if you start during the week long event, but don't finish it until after, will you still get a Convocation Pack?

wolzarg
06-20-2015, 02:24 AM
Drop rate as well as loot table will be everything. I can't imagine they make the AA stormcloud too easy to get or they devalue the card on the market so sadly i doubt i will get a playset.

DocX
06-20-2015, 05:53 AM
We've communicated the drop rates in the article itself, and we are happy with both that and the time frame the event is slated to run.

There are no numbers in the article. You did not communicate the "drop rates", you gave vague ideas as to the general magnitude of the drop rates. Much different. If you don't intend to actually tell us what the drop rates are ("You've got a 10% chance per Boss battle to get a 2015 pack, a 5% chance of getting a 2014 pack and a 5% chance to get a 2013 pack") then please tell us that. As it is, you're trying to have your cake and eat it too. You're obfuscating but saying you're communicating.

I fully agree with Yoss here. "small" and "smaller" are neither clear, nor helpful.

Again, none of this provides any idea of the absolute magnitude of the amount of time someone will have to spend, only the relative time. Will the drop rate be Uruunaz's encounter rate pre-Dungeon Crawler patch or post-Dungeon Crawler patch? Because if it's pre-patch, I'll know I actually have a chance to get items and, therefore, decide to devote time to playing the game and getting hyped for the week. If it's post-patch, I'll know it won't be worth the time or effort and spend my time more productively (playing scratch-offs and betting on '00' at the roulette table . . . i kid, i kid. . . kind of).

If you want to be clear, please be clear. If you don't want to be clear, please come out and say that. Trying to have it both ways doesn't benefit anyone.

Spiredore
06-20-2015, 06:58 AM
I'm pretty impressed with how things came out, actually. The ideal for convocation has always been that those who couldn't be at the con had a similar chance to get the items as those that do, and I think they've come very close.

Obviously the model for 2015 has been designed to be as close as possible, with the physical packs mirroring the digital ones we'll be awarded, but I think people complaining about the lower drop rate of 13/14 packs and whether it'll be difficult to amass all the rewards are overlooking is that it was much harder at Gencon to get rewards in 13/14 (You had to win events to amass tickets to exchange for prizes) and even when you attend it's typically difficult to walk away with a full set of awards.

The Gencon Promos have always been the rarest class of items in HEX, and though we might expect that there's me more of them in absolute now that we have convocations every year, I think it's fair to assume that these prizes are still going to be among the rarest items in the game and if you want to have a full set of them you'll probably have to put in a lot of time and fill in the gaps on the Auction House.

And I don't know that that's a bad thing really.

MugenMusou
06-20-2015, 07:01 AM
I know it is not official, but I actually like the new visual of the equipment. Somehow they feel more valuable. I hope it becomes at least an option in the future.

Xenavire
06-20-2015, 07:04 AM
There is a difference between fair chance and similar chance. A similar chance means they could be going from the average of every person who walked past and stopped for one game, but a fair chance should be based on the opportunity to spend the entire weekend farming (which should have gotten you close to full sets both years, by my understanding, even with all the lines in 13.)

We always asked for a fair chance, not a similar chance, so I hope we get what we asked for.

Spiredore
06-20-2015, 07:18 AM
We always asked for a fair chance, not a similar chance, so I hope we get what we asked for.

But if anything wouldn't that argue for lower drop rates? After all Convocation is three times longer, happens over a wider variety of events, doesn't suffer from the same limitations in terms of available seats ...

It just seems to me that some people have read 'everyone will have a chance to get these items' as 'everyone will walk away with a complete set of these items, with no need to trade or use the AH' and I'm not sure that was ever the plan.

Xenavire
06-20-2015, 07:40 AM
But if anything wouldn't that argue for lower drop rates? After all Convocation is three times longer, happens over a wider variety of events, doesn't suffer from the same limitations in terms of available seats ...

It just seems to me that some people have read 'everyone will have a chance to get these items' as 'everyone will walk away with a complete set of these items, with no need to trade or use the AH' and I'm not sure that was ever the plan.

You are ignoring the fact that we are catching up on 2 years alongside trying to earn this years stuff... All at once. It is sounding very much like people will be lucky to end up with half of any years stuff even farming for the whole week.

That is not a fair shot in my books.

You need to get some perspective, because while we all know it wasn't trivial to get those items at gencon, those that attended for all the days often walked away with some spares of X or Y item. (And they did get to choose those items with the points system, which we don't get with the 13/14 convo packs.)

And IIRC, 2013 had 1 point per Ozawa (so 4 games over the weekend would be enough), and the mercs and sleeves were only slightly harder than that (and you only needed 1 of each), with 2014 having a fairly similar structure (if I recall, the sleeves were given out pretty easily, and the merc and the AA's weren't too hard to get either.) Even going off second hand knowledge, it seems like requiring a draft win is fairly extreme for just a shot at a single item. And I am not putting my money on other methods being more forgiving.

I am not expecting anyone who puts in only a few hours to walk away with a complete set. But if someone farms the entire week, nearly non-stop, and can't even walk away with half, thats punishing people rather than rewarding them. Each year should get it's own week if they want to make it so difficult.

Spiredore
06-20-2015, 08:10 AM
It is sounding very much like people will be lucky to end up with half of any years stuff even farming for the whole week.

Do you think? Because although I'm in favor of these retaining their rarity I think that's an exaggeration.

Convocation15 packs, in particular will be all over the shop. As a participation prize in a weeklong event they'll be as hard to earn as AAs like Concubunny or Scrivener. Yes you have to collect a number of them and people are going to pull multiples that they'll end up trading, but I don't think anyone would have considered getting eight of those AAs an impossible feat.

Convocation 13/14 packs are rarer, but probably not as rare as say Filk Apes (which needed a win and were only available for 3 days). Yes, again you need several of them, but I've got more Filk Apes than you'd need for a full set of rewards and I didn't win one of them in the actual event.

These really aren't unprecedented rarities. I know people have hauled home many more prizes than they'd need to cover sets in previous events with similar conditions, and that's without considering what the drop from Proving Grounds and Frost Ring might be.

While we don't know what the drop rate for those venues might be, I personally think all the references to Urunaaz are over the top. We do know that the goal is 'to provide access to these promotions in PvE and PvP'. I don't think there's any reason to think dedication to the Frost Ring won't see packs drop, aside from people's natural and understandable tendency to spaz out when they don't have definitive answers.

And IIRC, 2013 had 1 point per Ozawa (so 4 games over the weekend would be enough), and the mercs and sleeves were only slightly harder than that (and you only needed 1 of each), with 2014 having a fairly similar structure

Fortunately Hexinformer still has photos of the tickets up (http://www.hexinformer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/GenConHexTickets.jpg), so we don't have to remember. 1 ticket for sleeves, 3 for Ozawa, 5 for Portesio. Which is challenging but not impossible, much as I expect Convocation to be.

Salverus
06-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Convocation15 packs, in particular will be all over the shop. As a participation prize in a weeklong event they'll be as hard to earn as AAs like Concubunny or Scrivener.

I think you are overestimating the drop chance big time here. I expect drop rate of a pack to be around 3 to 5% max for the FRA. So e.g. around 5 full arena clears for 1 pack. So if you play a full week you can maybe do 20 full arena runs (that is 3 hours per day), which would give you only 4 packs.
and I expect similar drops / hour on average for the tournament / proving grounds. Drop rates roughly equal to a legendary PvE card like xocoy.
Ofcourse i could be wrong, but around these numbers is just my estimation of how many packs will drop.

Incindium
06-20-2015, 08:32 AM
You are ignoring the fact that we are catching up on 2 years alongside trying to earn this years stuff... All at once. It is sounding very much like people will be lucky to end up with half of any years stuff even farming for the whole week.

That is not a fair shot in my books.

So the guy that thought the discussion about getting retro star dust for prior chest rolls was "borderline ridiculous" is upset that he's not getting a fair shot on prior GenCon rewards...

Spiredore
06-20-2015, 08:35 AM
and I expect similar drops / hour on average for the tournament

Why? The update post clearly states that Convocation15 packs will be awarded as a participation prize for tournaments. That is, everyone gets a pack in every tournament.

It seems odd to me that you'd guess at a drop rate in the Arena and extrapolate back from that to over-ride the only definitive rate we've been given for these packs, rather than taking what we've been told for certain and using that to eyeball the Arena.

Xenavire
06-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Fortunately Hexinformer still has photos of the tickets up (http://www.hexinformer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/GenConHexTickets.jpg), so we don't have to remember. 1 ticket for sleeves, 3 for Ozawa, 5 for Portesio. Which is challenging but not impossible, much as I expect Convocation to be.

18 games over a weekend still isn't that bad, although the lines wouldn't have been helpful. But the issue is that those items are being put at the same rarity as those from 14, which were definitely not as hard to get as from 13. As I said, if they want to do this fairly, 3 separate weeks would be the way to go, so people can focus on the items they want.

So the guy that thought the discussion about getting retro star dust for prior chest rolls was "borderline ridiculous" is upset that he's not getting a fair shot on prior GenCon rewards...

Yes, because there is a direct 1 for 1 comparison we can make between the two! Oh wait, they aren't even close. Not even slightly. We are talking about something that was given out to people, with almost zero warning the first year, in a way that is incredibly exclusionary, and we got our feedback answered by a solid plan to include people who can't attend, in the future. It was implied that we would have roughly the same shot, which isn't the case when we have to farm 13/14 in the same pack (artificially altering the rarity of certain items) and all the three years in a relatively short timeframe (considering a lot of people will only be able to 'attend' for the weekend, just like GenCon itself.)

Compared to a change to something that was available to everyone, and there was zero discussion about it changing because stardust was a new concept, meaning there was no prior obligation to make people happy. And HexEnt actually gave us more than they needed to, in case you had forgotten, so why should we not speak up when it seems like we are being treated a little unfairly? We feel that this setup doesn't really fit the intent.

I would be a little happier if they just made the 13/14 packs drop for 2nd place in draft too, or separate the two lists and give 14 a better droprate.

Yoss
06-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Thanks, DocX. I'm glad at least one person understands.

hex_colin
06-20-2015, 09:37 AM
There are no numbers in the article. You did not communicate the "drop rates", you gave vague ideas as to the general magnitude of the drop rates. Much different. If you don't intend to actually tell us what the drop rates are ("You've got a 10% chance per Boss battle to get a 2015 pack, a 5% chance of getting a 2014 pack and a 5% chance to get a 2013 pack") then please tell us that. As it is, you're trying to have your cake and eat it too. You're obfuscating but saying you're communicating.

I fully agree with Yoss here. "small" and "smaller" are neither clear, nor helpful.

Again, none of this provides any idea of the absolute magnitude of the amount of time someone will have to spend, only the relative time. Will the drop rate be Uruunaz's encounter rate pre-Dungeon Crawler patch or post-Dungeon Crawler patch? Because if it's pre-patch, I'll know I actually have a chance to get items and, therefore, decide to devote time to playing the game and getting hyped for the week. If it's post-patch, I'll know it won't be worth the time or effort and spend my time more productively (playing scratch-offs and betting on '00' at the roulette table . . . i kid, i kid. . . kind of).

If you want to be clear, please be clear. If you don't want to be clear, please come out and say that. Trying to have it both ways doesn't benefit anyone.

You (and Yoss) are just arguing for argument's sake and unnecessarily attacking Will who's taken a lot of time out of his day to answer folks' questions. It's pretty clear they're not going to tell us the drop rates with any specificity, they never do. You know that. I know that. All anyone can do is play and get what they get.

Also, no one ever promised that everyone would get everything. There are no guarantees in life. There's no reasonbale expectation that everyone who wants it gets every merc, a playset of all the AAs and PVE cards, and all the equipment. All we were promised was a chance at the convention loot. We most certainly have that chance now.

Incindium
06-20-2015, 09:44 AM
and we got our feedback answered by a solid plan to include people who can't attend, in the future. It was implied that we would have roughly the same shot,

Where did you get this expectation? Roughly the same shot as what? People going to the GenCon should be rewarded for investing their money and time with the ability to receive more rewards.

Making the 13/14 rewards harder to get helps retain the value for the people who attended and/or spent money and time to collect those rewards. I'm happy they balanced that while giving the opportunity to everyone to still potentially get those rewards.

The Portensio and Gax I managed to acquire won't totally be devalued and I'll still be able to potentially get some of the AA Ozawa's I'm missing.

Xenavire
06-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Where did you get this expectation? Roughly the same shot as what? People going to the GenCon should be rewarded for investing their money and time with the ability to receive more rewards.

Making the 13/14 rewards harder to get helps retain the value for the people who attended and/or spent money and time to collect those rewards. I'm happy they balanced that while giving the opportunity to everyone to still potentially get those rewards.

The Portensio and Gax I managed to acquire won't totally be devalued and I'll still be able to potentially get some of the AA Ozawa's I'm missing.

I still don't get the mentality of 'people payed so much to go there' - fact is, that cost is on the individual. People who can literally walk in off the street only pay something like $10 plus whatever the day pass for Gencon is, and they aren't restricted to only looking at Hex stuff. Hex is under no obligation to make any items have obscene worth to 'make up for' travel costs.

What about those who simply cannot attend because they would have to travel in from a different country? Is it fair they miss out?

Sleeves are there for the 'I was there' value item. In fact, the less value the other items have, the more value the sleeves have, which are going to be the only exclusive item, so I really don't see why things should be so heavily restricted for online players. Remember, a digital game shouldn't be punishing players with expectations to attend physical events.

Yoss
06-20-2015, 10:56 AM
You (and Yoss) are just arguing for argument's sake and unnecessarily attacking Will who's taken a lot of time out of his day to answer folks' questions. It's pretty clear they're not going to tell us the drop rates with any specificity, they never do. You know that. I know that. All anyone can do is play and get what they get.

Also, no one ever promised that everyone would get everything. There are no guarantees in life. There's no reasonbale expectation that everyone who wants it gets every merc, a playset of all the AAs and PVE cards, and all the equipment. All we were promised was a chance at the convention loot. We most certainly have that chance now.

I am not "attacking" anyone, TYVM.

Spiredore
06-20-2015, 05:53 PM
I really don't see why things should be so heavily restricted for online players. Remember, a digital game shouldn't be punishing players with expectations to attend physical events.

Conversely, players getting these prizes from Convocation shouldn't be strongly privileged over those who actually went to Gencon. There are already a number of advantages being provided to the 'digital attendees' in the shape of availability of events, extended time-frames, a wider range of events providing packs and, in many cases, a lower barrier in terms of wins-per-item.

Compensating for that in the form of the composition of the Convocation pack seems perfectly reasonable to me. It was never going to be possible to provide precisely the same experience and 'yield' (so to speak) in the digital format, not least because it makes no sense to mitigate some of those advantages of the digital format. HexEnt was never going to limit the number and availability of events to match what was available at the con, for instance.

But in terms of giving us a similar opportunity to get these prizes it seems to me they've eyeballed it pretty well.

DocX
06-20-2015, 06:46 PM

I didn't realize pointing out when someone has said something factually incorrect is attacking them.

They did not communicate the drop rates. You, Colin, are saying they never do. Either you're wrong and Will's right that, not only do they tell us drop rates, they've already communicated them in the article; or.... you're right, Will's wrong and they haven't communicated the drop rates in the article.

And, regardless of what you might think, I'm not arguing for argument's sake nor pointing out Will's error simply to be snarky. I appreciate the time he's taken to engage on the forum and provide more information about the topic. However, in doing so, he made a mistake. He needs to acknowledge that mistake, not deny it and move on.

Also, no one ever promised that everyone would get everything.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Cory promised that nobody would get everything. But I think that's a little beside the concern I have (which may or may not be the concern anyone else has)...

There are no guarantees in life. There's no reasonbale expectation that everyone who wants it gets every merc, a playset of all the AAs and PVE cards, and all the equipment. All we were promised was a chance at the convention loot. We most certainly have that chance now.

And all I'm asking for is a rough idea of what that chance is. Given probability is not a certain thing and there aren't any guarantees when loot tables are purely determined by RNG with zero massaging, what's expected effort (time, games, etc) to get the various rewards for the median (and, since I'm perennially unlucky, for one standard deviation below since I'm guessing that's where I'll be).

If I've got the same chance to get the packs as I do of seeing Uruunaz in the Arena, I'll skip the event. The cost-benefit analysis simply won't be worth it for me (for others, maybe, but my time is more valuable than that and spending that much time to get those rewards simply isn't worth it to me). If I've got the same chance to get the packs as I do getting a Xocoy or a Death Cap from the Arena, it's a much harder call. If I've got the same chance to get the packs as I do to get a Brutal Commander or a Reaper Bot, then I'll be playing as much as I can to insure I get a full set or rewards (or comparables to trade for what I did not get). I'd just like to get some solid data to use when performing that cost-benefit analysis.

"Small" and "smaller" aren't useful unless you know the rough order of magnitude of the comparison. Where along the continuum (well represented at http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/interactive-scale-universe/) is the reference point for small? Quarks? Cells? People? States? Planets? Suns? Galaxies? I'd simply like a rough idea of the magnitude of the task ahead. So far, assertions by Will to the contrary, that has not been provided.

DocX
06-20-2015, 07:06 PM
I still don't get the mentality of 'people payed so much to go there' - fact is, that cost is on the individual. People who can literally walk in off the street only pay something like $10 plus whatever the day pass for Gencon is, and they aren't restricted to only looking at Hex stuff. Hex is under no obligation to make any items have obscene worth to 'make up for' travel costs.

One day passes for GenCon are $55 (if they're not sold out for the day you want to attend). Four day passes are $90 (until they sell out). Either option requires waiting in line at least once for upwards of 60-90 minutes depending on the time. In addition, tickets are required for the Hex events and those may or may not work for you if the events have been sold out. It's not just the money, it's also the time. And I'm eliding over travel and lodging (which are also quite expensive).

Attending GenCon (or most large conventions, for that matter) is not nearly the trivial feat you're making it out to be.

Sleeves are there for the 'I was there' value item. In fact, the less value the other items have, the more value the sleeves have, which are going to be the only exclusive item, so I really don't see why things should be so heavily restricted for online players. Remember, a digital game shouldn't be punishing players with expectations to attend physical events.

With this, I agree. I remember playing the Babylon 5 CCG and the exclusive Promos they had which were only obtainable by buying a specific magazine, comic, etc. It was not good for the overall community and led to an "Haves vs Have Nots" for the particularly powerful promos. I don't think locking unique card/equipment effects behind limited access events isn't a great idea. Cosmetic items, sure! Sleeves, AA versions of cards and such, I'm totally fine with. But having a limited window with "small" and "smaller" chances to acquire them seems problematic to me.

DocX
06-20-2015, 07:17 PM
Conversely, players getting these prizes from Convocation shouldn't be strongly privileged over those who actually went to Gencon.

How would Convocation players be privileged over GenCon attendees? Don't GenCon attendees have the same opportunity to log in and play that those not at GenCon do. Admittedly, they might be busy with other events and such, but that's their choice. And the digital event will be going longer than the actual convention will, so even if GenCon attendees are maximizing their return on investment for attending, they'll have more time to get digital rewards to go along with the physical rewards they got in person.

There are already a number of advantages being provided to the 'digital attendees' in the shape of availability of events, extended time-frames, a wider range of events providing packs and, in many cases, a lower barrier in terms of wins-per-item.

Again, things available to everyone and in no way excluded from being taken advantage of by GenCon attendees.

But in terms of giving us a similar opportunity to get these prizes it seems to me they've eyeballed it pretty well.

So, you know the drop rate (or at least its order of magnitude)? Because from what I can see, that's the only way you'd be able to determine if the opportunities are similar or not. Otherwise, it's simply speculation. But, if I've missed some bit of information, please enlighten me.

Spiredore
06-20-2015, 07:41 PM
How would Convocation players be privileged over GenCon attendees? Don't GenCon attendees have the same opportunity to log in and play that those not at GenCon do.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, this was in reference to the Convocation13/14 pack which Xen was referring to. It that case prizes were only available for the weekend and Convocation is longer. Seats at the event were strictly limited in their availability where that will not be the case in Convocation. Packs will be available in game formats that didn't actually exist at the time of the Con. And so forth. You're quite right that the Convocation15 experience will be extremely similar for Gencon and Convocation, which imagine is by desgin.

So, you know the drop rate (or at least its order of magnitude)? Because from what I can see, that's the only way you'd be able to determine if the opportunities are similar or not. Otherwise, it's simply speculation. But, if I've missed some bit of information, please enlighten me.

We absolutely know the drop rate for tournaments, it's given in the update. The Convocation 15 pack is a participation prize and the 13/14 pack is a winners prize. We've had events with this sort of prize structure before so we can make broad guesses as to what the volume of packs from tournaments will be. To the degree that we might expect the yield for the arena to fall within a factor of ten of the tournament yield (And I think we can in fact be confident of that) it's also fair to say we can make a good estimate on the order of magnitude of the drop rate for Frost Ring and Proving Grounds.

Now obviously collecting a set of 13/14 prizes is not as strightforward as, for example, getting 6 AA Filk Apes during the Shattered Destiny Release weekend because of th in-pack distributions. But we can be confident that packs will be around in quantity, because that's what's happened with prizes with the same release scheme previously, and there's no reason to imagine that people who really want these prizes won't have a chance to get them by earning them in events or by picking up trades in the AH.

szimek
06-21-2015, 04:14 AM
I think, that getting rounded chances for the drop of those packs would help with the strategy on how to obtain them. If i'ts Uruunaz chance i'll go with tournaments, if it's more like some other PvE cards i'll farm arena. Farming arena for the whole week just to say at the end of the week "damn, i should've played those tournaments, because i've wasted X hours chasing rate that is too low" will make me sad, that i didn't know the rates before. I'm not saying they should tell us "it's 2% or 5% or x%" but something more like: " it;s a chance similar to the chance of getting X card" than "it's a small chance". I just don't want to waste the whole week chasing something just to find out at the end it wasn't worth doing it the way i was doing it, only because there was not enough informations.

I love the idea of the Convocation but i like to strategize my playstyle and use my time efficientelly and i'll probably will be upset if i'll find out that i could get those pack in better way if i knew it from the start.

Ofc there can be situation, where the "small" chance is not that small after all and after people will make few runs of arena, we will have some more data, but again: it would be nice to have this information before we decide how much time put in to the PvE and how much to PvP part of the game. In the week that the event is running i won't probably have too much time to spend, so i would like to use it efficiently :]

DocX
06-21-2015, 07:12 AM
Sorry if I wasn't clear, this was in reference to the Convocation13/14 pack which Xen was referring to. It that case prizes were only available for the weekend and Convocation is longer. Seats at the event were strictly limited in their availability where that will not be the case in Convocation. Packs will be available in game formats that didn't actually exist at the time of the Con. And so forth. You're quite right that the Convocation15 experience will be extremely similar for Gencon and Convocation, which imagine is by desgin.

I think I'm missing something (the lack of inflection or nuance in text-based communication along with the time between posts makes that all too easy). For the 13/14 prizes, anyone who attended those conventions in person are preferenced because they had the additional chance to get the 13/14 prizes and now they have the same opportunities that everyone else does.

We absolutely know the drop rate for tournaments, it's given in the update.

I think we're using the term 'drop rate' differently. As I've traditionally seen it used, it's the percent chance a specific outcome will happen when receiving loot from an encounter/battle/event. In this sense, Primal Packs can be seen to have a "drop rate" as can Legendaries from a Booster Pack. But when something's guaranteed to happen that's more of an award and not really a drop rate (or, to be pedantic, it's a drop rate of 100%). The same is true of the GenCon 2015 tournaments. The packs are guaranteed award based on tournament placement.

The items that come from the packs will have a drop rate, but it's the packs themselves that are simply awards from the in-person tournaments. The big question I have is, given the packs are not straight up awards from digital play, what will the drop rate be for those activities (which, so far, has only been characterized as "small" and "smaller" chance)

I think, that getting rounded chances for the drop of those packs would help with the strategy on how to obtain them. If i'ts Uruunaz chance i'll go with tournaments, if it's more like some other PvE cards i'll farm arena. Farming arena for the whole week just to say at the end of the week "damn, i should've played those tournaments, because i've wasted X hours chasing rate that is too low" will make me sad, that i didn't know the rates before. I'm not saying they should tell us "it's 2% or 5% or x%" but something more like: " it;s a chance similar to the chance of getting X card" than "it's a small chance". I just don't want to waste the whole week chasing something just to find out at the end it wasn't worth doing it the way i was doing it, only because there was not enough informations.

I love the idea of the Convocation but i like to strategize my playstyle and use my time efficientelly and i'll probably will be upset if i'll find out that i could get those pack in better way if i knew it from the start.

This. . . without the tournament playing as an option since, as I've said many times, I'm not a good player :-)

Spiredore
06-21-2015, 07:45 AM
For the 13/14 prizes, anyone who attended those conventions in person are preferenced because they had the additional chance to get the 13/14 prizes and now they have the same opportunities that everyone else does.

That's going to be true no matter what the scheme is, there's no effective way to prevent it. What I'm looking at is how the experience of actually going to the event and playing there compares to playing in convocation. They should be, in a rough, broad sort of way, more or less equivalent and I think HexEnt have done a pretty good job at making that happen.

I think we're using the term 'drop rate' differently. As I've traditionally seen it used, it's the percent chance a specific outcome will happen when receiving loot from an encounter/battle/event.

That's one way of looking at it, but when you have a value for that you can take that, map it against game factors and express that in the form of expected number of prizes based on activity. X packs per hour, or per arena run. Salverus provides an example this in post #66 of this thread.

In this case it's particularly useful because even though we aren't going to get a definitive percentage drop rate for the Frost Ring, we do have per-activity rates for tournaments and we can make estimations of what that distribution will look like because we've seen similar prize distributions before. If we make an assumption that the Frost Ring will have a broadly similar rate of packs-per-time (Personally I think that's a good assumption. My totally unfounded expectation is something like 0.7 or 0.7 of the tournament rate across the event) then we can end up with a very broad estimation of what the drop rate might be.

Certainly not good enough to say 'packs drop at a rate between 50 and 60 percent', but enough to feel confident all this talk of Urunaaz-like frequencies and people having no hope of collecting more than half the items seem a bit silly.

wolzarg
06-21-2015, 08:44 AM
While i love all the stuff and the art, is it just me or does storm of the century seem very very underwhelming?

Aradon
06-21-2015, 10:06 AM
While i love all the stuff and the art, is it just me or does storm of the century seem very very underwhelming?

I had the same impression. Being at random kills it, to me. You could end up wasting several counters doing damage to creatures without killing them.

EntropyBall
06-21-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm fine with "small" and "smaller" drop rates or whatever, I just wish it was running longer than it is. I'm out of town GenCon weekend (not attending GenCon), so it leaves me with only a couple weekdays to play :-( Such is the nature of collectibles I guess.

Mike411
06-21-2015, 01:02 PM
I will add further clarification that I care not at all for AA and sleeves (in the sense that I am fine with them being exclusive or hard to get). It is the functional items that I care about. I really, really don't like the idea of locking game content away where a reasonably dedicated player* can't get to it.

For what it's worth, this is my position as well. With the 13/14 drop-rate described as is, I'm not sure I'll be able to get the mercs.

Audens
06-22-2015, 05:49 PM

You can lose matches in draft and sealed and still win the tourney though. You actually need a higher match win percentage to complete a Gauntlet (5-2, 71%) than you do for a draft or sealed (6-3, 67%).

Shinjica
06-30-2015, 12:49 AM
My opinion is that PVE cards should always be obtainable. Limiting at only one week is quite restricting in my opinion.

If you want to make something so limited why dont make rare sleeve from drop? Sleeve are that rare thing that are only visual and not useful for the game.

N3rd4Christ
06-30-2015, 10:21 AM
So people are complaining about the drop rate of free stuff?

Aradon
06-30-2015, 02:13 PM
So people are complaining about the drop rate of free stuff?

That's not really a fair assessment of the situation, no. People are complaining about the drop rate of exclusive items/content.

Lyckan
07-02-2015, 01:14 AM
Do the gauntlet need to be started or ended during the week?
i.e. could I have "preplayed" gauntlet until I have a score of 4-0 before the start or should I start a new gauntlet the last thing I do in that week?
Also in Arena is the loot created when the run is done or is it when I defeat each boss?

Yoss
07-02-2015, 05:37 PM
Do the gauntlet need to be started or ended during the week?
i.e. could I have "preplayed" gauntlet until I have a score of 4-0 before the start or should I start a new gauntlet the last thing I do in that week?
Also in Arena is the loot created when the run is done or is it when I defeat each boss?

Insightful questions! I hope we get answers.

wolzarg
07-04-2015, 01:19 PM
If we don't get an answer I'm so doing this thanks for the tip regardless :P

poizonous
07-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Well Release Celebration Weekend they said you need to start and finish your gauntlet during the event time, so I think it is safe to assume the same for this

N3rd4Christ
07-28-2015, 11:33 AM
So is it 5-2 for 2013/14 or 5-0 for gauntlet like article says?

Whye
07-28-2015, 04:06 PM

I am very interested in this as well.

Audens
07-28-2015, 04:21 PM
Well Release Celebration Weekend they said you need to start and finish your gauntlet during the event time, so I think it is safe to assume the same for this

They said that, but I don't believe it actually worked that way. Would be good to get a concrete answer on this for Convocation.

dogmod
07-28-2015, 05:55 PM
They said that, but I don't believe it actually worked that way. Would be good to get a concrete answer on this for Convocation.

Unlikely that they will patch the gauntlet this close to preparing for GenCon and with the possibility of introducing bugs before Convocation weekend. It worked that it only mattered when you ended your gauntlet for release weekend at least.

Up till now the rewards page has not listed separate rewards for different losses. I find it unlikely that they will be able to do this for the convocation weekend, and honestly I hope not as I was not able to attend those gencons and would like to be able to obtain the rewards. Only time will tell.

All I know is that I will be preparing multiple 4-x gauntlets for this weekend like I did for the last. Perhaps I will prepare some 14-0 arenas as well ;o

Yoss
07-28-2015, 06:10 PM

I'd like to know this.

ShadowRealm
07-30-2015, 02:07 AM
On Gameforge forums, they were announcing a maintenance for today, but this morning we get this:

"The maintenance was pushed back to a later date.

There will be no interruptions to the servers today."

What does it mean exactly? Any problem with Convocation event or is it not related to it? Thanks for the insight.

Xenavire
07-30-2015, 08:11 AM
On Gameforge forums, they were announcing a maintenance for today, but this morning we get this:

"The maintenance was pushed back to a later date.

There will be no interruptions to the servers today."

What does it mean exactly? Any problem with Convocation event or is it not related to it? Thanks for the insight.

I believe a patch may have been planned, but was pushed back due to scheduling conflicts with the event. The event shouldn't be interrupted by this.

Caruso
07-31-2015, 01:21 AM
tried to look for convo packs at ah, did not see any - figured i might list mine.

they dont show up on ah, looking at "my listings" they do show - any way to search/filter for convo packs at ah?

Yoss
07-31-2015, 10:32 AM
They're under Chests, from what I hear. Do not type anything in the search filter.

Caruso
07-31-2015, 12:14 PM
works, thank you :)

*e: you can set chest item rarity to "promo" to filter for convo packs

Weltenbrand
08-07-2015, 05:24 AM
Not nice that you never inform about something like that via email or within the client. I have lost a substantial amount of plat buying Brosi and Gax earlier in May and now my collection is completely devalued. I don't frequently cross the boards and i don't intend to do so in daily or hourly manner.

Thanks for nothing Cryptozoic!

Xenavire
08-07-2015, 06:39 AM
Not nice that you never inform about something like that via email or within the client. I have lost a substantial amount of plat buying Brosi and Gax earlier in May and now my collection is completely devalued. I don't frequently cross the boards and i don't intend to do so in daily or hourly manner.

A good policy is to ask around before you buy something. It doesn't help you here, but in future you should ask if something is exclusive or not (although going forward most things should be released only once.)

Yoss
08-07-2015, 09:42 AM

They told us on the official site (and likely through KS email if you're a KS backer) as well as these forums.

For example:
https://www.hextcg.com/hex-update-gen-con/

Weltenbrand
08-07-2015, 12:23 PM
A good policy is to ask around before you buy something. It doesn't help you here, but in future you should ask if something is exclusive or not (although going forward most things should be released only once.)

Thats the point, i usually ask around or google, but never get an answer in the Chat or Help Channel and the latter seems to be abandoned whenever i ask something there. I searched, but the only sources i found were some Wiki-sites, which stated that these cards were exclusive and nothing indicated that they were going to be "reprinted".

I think this is the last straw for me to leave this game. I already lost my exclusive AA cards from kickstarter because i didnt know that they were AA, because the client didnt indicate it by that time.

I m just so fed up with their "non-disclosure policy". They never tell anything, not even explaining new mechanics from the third set within the client, so that i had to burn 2 drafts before i got a clue how the new mechanics work. Obviously i didnt get them refunded even on request. The game is completely rewarding a bunch of players and fanbois who have been here since alpha and who are here 24/7. For everyone else, its a pain to find the relevant information from years ago which is hidden deep into this forum. Besides there is a complete lack of something like Gatherer for Magic cards.

They told us on the official site (and likely through KS email if you're a KS backer) as well as these forums.

For example:
https://www.hextcg.com/hex-update-gen-con/

Yes, i am a KS backer, but they didnt tell, not within the client and not via email. The link you sent is from this month.

Aradon
08-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Besides there is a complete lack of something like Gatherer for Magic cards.

I have bookmark on my browser that I literally titled 'Hex Gatherer.' Here's the url: http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards

Weltenbrand
08-07-2015, 12:36 PM
I have bookmark on my browser that I literally titled 'Hex Gatherer.' Here's the url: http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards

I know that site, but there is no official source, which a player can really trust and where information about "reprints" of certain cards can be found. Information is money, in my case plat, 5000 plat burned.

Tazelbain
08-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Yes, i am a KS backer, but they didnt tell, not within the client and not via email. The link you sent is from this month.Aug 8, 2014

Weltenbrand
08-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Aug 8, 2014

Ok sorry, my bad then. Guess one is forced to check the frontpage of hextcg.com in a daily manner, not to miss relevant information, which normally should be announced within the client. Kind of freaky.

Tazelbain
08-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Ok sorry, my bad then. Guess one is forced to check the frontpage of hextcg.com in a daily manner, not to miss relevant information, which normally should be announced within the client. Kind of freaky.Definately sign up for the mailing list if you haven't already. Everything relevant comes through Friday updates. May want to back track through the articles like this: https://www.hextcg.com/page/2/ https://www.hextcg.com/page/3/

Those of us who have been here since the Kickstarter, often forget the new people haven't been studying the game for 2 years.

Yoss
08-07-2015, 01:31 PM
EDIT: someone already said that.

Yoss
08-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Ok sorry, my bad then. Guess one is forced to check the frontpage of hextcg.com in a daily manner, not to miss relevant information, which normally should be announced within the client. Kind of freaky.

I haven't looked, but I'd guess it was in a KS email from Aug 2014. Most of the website updates are, right?

Aradon
08-07-2015, 01:34 PM
So you want to treat information as a valuable commodity, but can't check the updates on Friday?

Weltenbrand
08-07-2015, 02:02 PM
So you want to treat information as a valuable commodity, but can't check the updates on Friday?

Relevant information belongs into the client like explanation for new mechanics and keywords. Or other information regarding my collection. I m not supposed to check the updates, when in fact these updates were irrelevant nonsense the previous months and i use not to follow the game frequently.

Apparently, i m not subscribed to this mailing list, but i get mails from Cryptozoic when the information is important for them e.g. releases of Fronst Ring Arena or Armies of Myth. But when the information is important for me, because it changes aspects of my collection, then they don't inform.

Audens
08-07-2015, 03:06 PM

Or, you know, yearly.

Yoss
08-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Relevant information belongs into the client like explanation for new mechanics and keywords. Or other information regarding my collection. I m not supposed to check the updates, when in fact these updates were irrelevant nonsense the previous months and i use not to follow the game frequently.

Apparently, i m not subscribed to this mailing list, but i get mails from Cryptozoic when the information is important for them e.g. releases of Fronst Ring Arena or Armies of Myth. But when the information is important for me, because it changes aspects of my collection, then they don't inform.

So far as I am aware, every time they announced GenCon rewards for the last two years they also talked about how they'd be made available in the game client. For 2013 and 2014 it was in a "some day" way, and for 2015 it was finally actually happening. I'm all in favor of more and better communication from HXE, but I don't think this particular topic was a problem.

Weltenbrand
08-12-2015, 03:06 AM
Alright, let me clarify something. Its totally my fault that i missed the announcement from last year and from this year as well. Its totally my fault that i didn't research enough about buying into particular cards.

However I should mention that i m from Germany. Hex announcements on Friday arrive mostly in the evening or in the night of my timezone. So yes, its hard to keep up with them, especially when your weekend schedule is well-stocked and one might forget about Hex.

Nonetheless, there are other localized versions of Hex as well as websites. Out of convenience i m using the client in English, but i m also using the German website. The German announcement about convocation packs didn't say anything about the content of these packs http://de.hex.gameforge.com/news.html?p=1393#/

And there is my point again, that announcements should be within the client regardless the language version i m using. Apart from that, the game is still in beta and i don't think finite decisions about ingame-content should be made yet. For example convocation packs that a regular player who refuses to be beta tester would never have a chance to acquire.

Weltenbrand
08-12-2015, 03:32 AM
I haven't looked, but I'd guess it was in a KS email from Aug 2014. Most of the website updates are, right?

I don't think i receive these, because i m in fact a Paypal backer and have never gotten a mail directly from Kickstarter. Until now i didn't realize the difference, but i guess there is one.

Weltenbrand
08-12-2015, 03:49 AM
Ok, can somebody hook me up and confirm that as a kickstarter backer you receive all the updates from the kickstarter website in your mailbox automatically.

Because then this explains my unease of misinformation, because i was just treated as a second-class backer, never receiving these updates.

It would be nice if someone from the staff could give a statement.

juggernaut
08-12-2015, 12:33 PM
I have received all KS emails as updates (GK backer).

Weltenbrand
08-13-2015, 12:56 PM
I have received all KS emails as updates (GK backer).

Thank you, apparently I didnt get them and I dont know where to sign-up for them.

Yoss
08-13-2015, 04:43 PM
I believe you have an answer in the other thread you started on this topic.

DataDragon
08-13-2015, 07:21 PM
The Convocation packs that were missed from arena runs have now been granted.
Enjoy your extra loot.

Elwinz
08-13-2015, 10:31 PM
Weee

AstaSyneri
08-14-2015, 01:29 AM
Thank you. Even though you did not give the Stormcoat the Uncommon drop rate for this ;-). Not complaining: Three Kings, 1 Queen, 1 Storm of the Century.