PDA

View Full Version : Stress Tournament results / notes

Halsey
06-20-2015, 11:50 AM
Didn't see a thread for this, so I figured I'd start one.

How is the stress tournament going for everyone else?

Seems to be working for me, it launched, I got a deck builder, moving cards was a bit laggy, but workable. I built and saved a deck, my first match started and showed that my opponent was choosing to play or draw. Everything looked good on my end, but I won twice by my opponent timing out, so either they were AFK or they had some issues.

and just to add I got an awesome pool, I never get card like this on the live server.....

http://i.imgur.com/yfOE0nk.png

Aradon
06-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Wow, with a pool like that you might just go mono blood.

BlackRoger
06-20-2015, 12:03 PM
Nice work on the tourney launching and all.
Unfortunetally it's been super laggy for me.
And on my second game my opponent attacked, I blocked, and then received damage as if nothing was blocked and died.

I had my fill of the test server, gl to all who decide to keep at it.
May your games not be as lagy as mine.

Salverus
06-20-2015, 12:06 PM
I was surprised how smooth it went, could login fine, could build my deck fine, could play fine, but then I clicked rankings on the tournament page and whole game froze.

ps I got horrible packs, a pact of pain was only decent rare. lost first match and now game seems stuck.
but at least get a real pack on live server so I am still very happy :D

ThomasHunter
06-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Seems to have locked up after game 1 unfortunately. Oh well!

Halsey
06-20-2015, 12:14 PM
Wow, with a pool like that you might just go mono blood.

I didn't, but yeah it was considered :-}

I went blood/ruby, less ruby than blood, but could also build a sapphire/wild, or diamond/sapphire/ruby humans deck and would have been happy playing either, usually on live sealed games I've struggled to find enough cards to fill out one deck without playing things just as filler, this pool there were at least three decks just wanting to be played.

HitoZ
06-20-2015, 12:16 PM
Did an ok draft for a newb (got megahulk?)
- match started
- opponent most likely crashed
- i won 2 games by waiting for the timer to run it's course

Menu after round 1:
- got bored and clicked on rankings
- client froze
- when client unfroze and i clicked anything client froze again
- client is now permanently frozen

edit: after 20 or so minutes i decided to restart the client. Upon entering the game it booted me back into the tournament with all of the other players. Round 1 is still not finished.

edit 2:
- round 2 started
- client started to be unresponsive without me doing anything
- got loaded into match 2
- game was very laggy
- had a very nice game.

edit 3:
- round 3 started
- played first match and lost
- made some adjustments to my deck and saved it with 30seconds left to go
- it said deck was saved
- game froze up
- restarted and reloged
- now i have >1 minute lag, nothing happens after a minute only the current time ingame adjusts itself
- i should have reconnected to the game because there was less than 5 minutes before opponent automatically wins. I guess the hamsters have finally kicked the bucket.
- after some time match 2 started

edit 4:
- round 4 started
- couldn't see my cards
- drew a card, could see that card, couldn't play anything (i guess i was unlucky and got no shards)
- discard phase, couldn't discard a card, not even the one i drew ( it wasn't crossed out with red when you have to discard )
- conceded the match
- lost second match, was lagging as hell

edit 5:
- round 5 started
- played all 3 matches
- no major hickups (sideboarding didn't crash the game this time around)
- still huge lag

edit 6:
- round 6 started
- when i should be matched with opponent the game froze
- kept reconnecting
- reconnected to the game but both me and my opponent were "of the guild" or something like that
- match ended don't know in whose favour
- we entered sideboarding
- match 2 started, opponent probably also has connection issues

edit 7:
- round 7 started
- was reloging constantly because the client was lagging 1-3 minutes behind
- during one of those relogs round 7 started and i couldn't reconnect to the game
- loged in during sideboarding, cards didn't load properly so i couldn't change them
- during second sideaboarding i could change the cards
- this was the laggiest round yet. Opponents time counted down, then it went back up by a minute.

I'll have to drop out here since it's almost 4am. Had a blast playing, had a dream play mimebot on megahulk, and got to play both of them, they never came into the play though. I enjoyed testing this event, hopefully you got a lot of usefull data.

Good luck to all other that still participate.

spankydonkey
06-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Won match 1, then this.

Menu after round 1:
- got bored and clicked on rankings
- client froze
- when client unfroze and i clicked anything client froze again
- client is now permanently frozen[/QUOTE]

Salverus
06-20-2015, 12:28 PM
round 2 starting in 1 minute now

Yoss
06-20-2015, 12:32 PM
My opponent seems to be AFK. Either that or the whole thing died.

FlyingMeatchip
06-20-2015, 12:34 PM
Got booted out of second round when client crashed and attempted to relog. :(

MasterN64
06-20-2015, 01:02 PM
My luck is always terrible i only had one rare that was even somewhat playable and its borderline trash. Only saving grace is 6 removal cards but i was forced to go tri shard because i got nearly no troops. Im debating on just dropping.

Biggest reason im not fond of sealed is how the pools end up being total trash much of the time.

Halsey
06-20-2015, 01:07 PM
Round two again went well on my side of the table, I lost but game seemed to work, if a bit slowly.

My opponent had a bug game two and wasn't able to see their hand, after relogging they were unable to reconnect to the game and timed out.

They beat me game one and 3 fair though so :-}

Quite amazed with the progress since the last stress test. This is orders of magnitude better, maybe not quite prime time ready but still amazing what the team has accomplished.

MasterN64
06-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Quite amazed with the progress since the last stress test. This is orders of magnitude better, maybe not quite prime time ready but still amazing what the team has accomplished.

Same here. This is really probably the only reason im gonna stick it out with this deck. Stress tests are for stressing the servers not actually winning stuff. Thats just an incentive.

Mejis
06-20-2015, 01:58 PM
How long does this run for? I just woke up... Is it still going and can I join?

Aradon
06-20-2015, 02:02 PM
The test server is open until it finishes (which will be another 9 hours or so: 6 more rounds and then draft for the top 8), but the tournament itself is not open to join anymore.

Halsey
06-20-2015, 02:06 PM
Game 2 of round 3 is not starting, I have tried relogging, but that just tosses me back to the tournament lobby. Been staring at that for about 15 minutes now, so I'm guessing eith the tourney is hung / locked up, or either my opponent or myself has been awarded the match on a time out.

Game 1 played well, sideboarding also acted as expected right up until game 2 should have started, then it went to the lobby instead of launching the game.

Edited to add this seems to be a fairly common problem at the moment, based on in game chat.

Mejis
06-20-2015, 02:08 PM
The test server is open until it finishes (which will be another 9 hours or so: 6 more rounds and then draft for the top 8), but the tournament itself is not open to join anymore.

Ah thanks. Ah well, shame I can't help test the stress, but I'll prob still test some asynchronous sealed if possible.

nicosharp
06-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Totally locked on me, constantly relogging. It at least launched okay, and round one went well.

If I had to make a guess, seems like they have removed server strength in some way as the tournament goes on...

Anyways, hope there is a very Political Correct response to the community that tested this, cause the results do not seem based on anything other than luck in your ability to remain connected to a lagging client.

MasterN64
06-20-2015, 03:10 PM
It looks like my client has finally went fully unresponsive. Cant even see chat refresh or chat myself. Looks like its nearing the end.

Slimberly
06-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Yeah, Same just happened to me. Womp.

Edit: And now it's fixed!

Yewstance
06-20-2015, 03:57 PM
Won match 1
Won match 2
Won match 3
Won game 1, round 4
A turn before winning game 2, round 4, I get this visual bug:

I simply could not remove the shard from my screen, and could not click or zoom in on the creatures underneath it critical to me winning.

To fix it, I relog, but the game doesn't load properly ("KEEP NAME of (GUILD)" for both players, no cards or anything). I wait a minute, then relog again. I'm not auto-dropped back in, until a few minutes have passed, at which point I find myself in game 3, having been given the game loss. I lost game 3 by a hair, hindered by further visual bugs.

With my winrate no longer sufficient for the draft at the end following a loss - my entire energy is gone.

I said it in chat and I'll say it here. If they actually stand by their original reward structure, 50 packs to the 'winner', I'm just going to laugh and laugh and laugh. At absolute, ABSOLUTE minimum, 100 participants lost one or more matches to gamebreaking bugs outside of their control. I suspect its actual vastly higher than that - the actual majority. Of course, most or all of the current undefeated players have experienced no such gamebreaking bugs (at least on their side of the board), enabling them to get such a winrate through lady luck seeing fit to give them the opportunity to play games.

A flat payout to all participants seems much more fair than any other other. Though frankly, regardless of a couple of petty packs, a dollar or two worth, I'm kicking myself over the idiocy of actually wasting so many hours for my drop-in-the-ocean contribution to this test. Never again.

nicosharp
06-20-2015, 04:03 PM
well, it's the test server, and the most rewarding thing to see, after 2 years of waiting for where we are at today, is that the test tournament with more than 700 people successfully launched, and most everyone was able to easily play round 1.
The time commitment comes with a contingency - we know we are helping them test. The end goal is to have a working tournament, but our personal player goals may differ. If one person gets a butt ton of packs thats great, but I don't think anyone here is going to say that individual "deserved" it. Bitterness and Luck blaming is always part of this game. Server luck is still luck :)

Salverus
06-20-2015, 04:04 PM
someone somewhere will face 8 AFK opponents and win 50 packs.

Halsey
06-20-2015, 06:20 PM
I'm pretty sure the idea behind the 50 packs for first was to try and convince people to stay in and play, you know to try and minimize those AFK opponents as much as possible. May or may not have been effective.

I'm having fun with it, despite a few crashes and assorted client goofiness. Mainly I was here to see how much better it was than last time, (amazingly so), and to help them collect data to hopefully improve it further. I'm okay with no prizes.

That said, I know people are here with different motivations, and it sucks for anyone getting frustrated. Hopefully either this with whatever data they gather will be enough to push live, (if the test server is still much lower in resources than the live, it may be good enough as is depending on where the problems are), or the next stress test will be even better.

Kami
06-20-2015, 06:26 PM
I've bugged on 5/7 rounds thus far. No idea how many rounds I've won/lost even. For all I know, I will have spent 10 hours stress testing as a masochist.

Chadatog
06-20-2015, 06:58 PM
At this point I think they are just trying to see if the 8 man draft will fire when the 10 rounds are done with this many people.

Yoss
06-20-2015, 08:23 PM
I think mine finally just crashed on round 10

nicosharp
06-20-2015, 08:52 PM
10 rounds of frustration:
5 actual games played.
Lost all of my first games of each round to a connection bug, except round 1 and oddly round 9.
reconnected over 30 times.
10 hours of my time
= 1 pack

Farm the arena for 2 hours. Have fun, 3 runs complete
= 1pack
x 5 = 10 hours = 5packs

hmmm.... me thinks I made a poor decision?

mvcaposino
06-20-2015, 08:54 PM
I played at least 1 game in all 10 rounds. I got 7-3 overall and only lost 1 round to bugging out, though i lost 4 games to various bugs. The no hand bug is pretty brutal. I am pretty tired after a whole day of playing Hex. Overall it was pretty fun and got lots of house cleaning done between rounds.

FireSummoner
06-20-2015, 09:07 PM
:'( After the first round, storm here cut off power/internet for 4 hours.

McCloud68
06-20-2015, 09:31 PM
I started the tournament on hopes of having a good long day of playing my favorite game in my favorite format and just enjoying things. Lost round 1 due to being timed out game 1 and loosing game 3. Thanks Lag. Round 2 my opponent was timed out both games, so I won technically. Round 3 is where it went beyond frustrating. Not sure who won what, but only got to play 1 game in the round. This was more stressful to me than it could ever have been to the server. I was about to pull my hair out when I realized I could go back to the Live server and play games properly. Hope the Test Server gets better or the bugs get worked out of Set 3 in a timely manner so we can enjoy it and all the improvements to the game and the UI on the Live server.

Think
06-20-2015, 09:47 PM
I'm definitely in the frustrated realm.
* 10.5 hours of time (because I actually stayed until the end.)
* I lost multiple games to client freezes that booted me back into dead games. (Usually, I'm just bad and lose games)
* Multiple disconnects, innumerable freezes, so many glitches...
* Not actually using Set 3. (Admittedly, my fault for not reading correctly)
* Not sure what prize pack will be... Could just be Set 1, because why not?
* 784 players was scheduled for 9 rounds, why did we get bumped to the 10 round level?

For all of my time and frustration, I will receive a single booster pack worth $2. That's the equivalent of 20 cents per hour to help test a commercial product. Bottom line, it was my choice and decision to participate and remain in this testing-environment tournament. Unless the rewards are increased, it is simply not worth my time or effort to participate in the future.

Elwinz
06-20-2015, 11:14 PM
It was you r decision to stay. The prizepool was know and it was obvious that with this number of plaers only few wil earn saomething and resat will just waste time. I wouldnt mind hat if i was actualy playing. But it was just afk race and bugs. I dropped early

spankydonkey
06-21-2015, 01:29 AM
It all started very well, got my cards, built my deck, started & played/won match 1, 2-0, all as it should be.
Then in lobby started clicking on things, it really did not like that!
Froze up, restarted got back in, played/won match 2, 2-0, due to AFK.
Back in lobby froze again, restated, froze again, restarted etc.
Match 3 started, won game 1, back into lobby froze, restarted 2 maybe 3 times, no joy, the whole thing was unresponsive.
Gave up, went & played The Witcher.

Seemed to me the lobby was the biggest problem, not the games them selves.

All in all, much better than any of the other tests I've been in so far, (I've done them all) so progress is being made.

Well done to anyone who made it to the end.

Graydeath
06-21-2015, 02:01 AM
My card pool was bad, no rare playable (i got 3 straving lich!), my best remuval was bombsmith, so i started the turnament with little hope in my deck.

- round 1: all went perfectly, no lag, only a minor problem in the second game (i don't see my deck and graveyard), i winn heasy. After i try to see the pairings and stendings and everythng froze, i had to restart

- round 2: again it started and went without problem, i winn

- round 3: a bit of lag, but all went well, i lose to a verry powerfull deck

- round 4: here started the problem, i was disconnected in the fisrt game i winn the second game, don't know wat happened after that, i don't know if i winn or lose the round. from this time i had problem every time i was on the pairings page and i had to restart the game beatwinn every round

- round 5: i restarted the game just in time for the first game, no problem during the game, i won

- ruond 6: my opponente was AFK

- round 7-8-9: the first game didn't start i had to restart the game (one time even the PC because everything freeze) losing for time out the first game of every round, after taht the game was a bit lagging but i had no other problem. I lost all the round (1-2, 0-2, 1-2) without the autoloss of the first game i think that i could have winn at lesat 1 of them.

- round 10: again game one didn't start, i restarted and loss, after that i was able to play game 2 and 3 but it was able to winn even it was relly lagging.

In the end i don't know how good was my performance becouse i wasn't able to look at the standings and i dont't know if i went 6-4 or 5-5, so i don't know if i won something, but i'm happy that i was there to the end to help with the test

Userrr_Friendly
06-21-2015, 05:21 AM
round 1: won first game then opponent bugs
round 2: won without playing - opponent timed out
round 3-8: was afk drinking like the devil
round 9: won 2-0 against a shard screwed opponent
round 10: won 2-1 (opponent bugged during game1)

Final standing: 6wins - 4 looses (somehow I won twice while afk). Even though I actually played only 4 rounds it was a real ordeal - Game crashed about 20+ times (clicking on ranking or even the general chat caused the game to freeze).

ps: I actually played out only 5 games!!!
PS: the people who played all 10 rounds are HEROES

Salverus
06-21-2015, 05:30 AM
(somehow I won twice while afk)
that is because your opponent was AFK too. Then if opponent gets to chose if he wants to play first or not, he will lose the first game, then you can chose that for the second game, but you are AFK, so you lose that game. Then in the third game he has to choose again, which lets you win 2-1 :P

I wish i could see somewhere what my final result and position was

RamzaBehoulve
06-21-2015, 07:06 AM
It was you r decision to stay. The prizepool was know and it was obvious that with this number of plaers only few wil earn saomething and resat will just waste time. I wouldnt mind hat if i was actualy playing. But it was just afk race and bugs. I dropped early

Yes, it was a test and a decision on our part to help. We all realize that.

However, after 6h+ of frustration, I also realized something. I will never, ever play a live swiss 256+ players tournament EVER AGAIN for 1 booster pack, even if everything worked and the tournament fee was free. The rounds take too long and are too many. Like everyone else should, I value my free time extremely highly. In my opinion, those big online tournaments should have rounds of max 30-45min and if more than 6 rounds, it should be over 2 days.

On a positive note though, it did "work" ! Was laggy as hell, but it held all 10 rounds somewhat without the server giving up completely.

Graydeath
06-21-2015, 07:31 AM
I wish i could see somewhere what my final result and position was

you are not the only one

Kami
06-21-2015, 07:38 AM
Shout out to everyone who stayed all 10 rounds! :stormcloud:

*HIGH FIVE*

Vrukiel
06-21-2015, 08:39 AM
I'm sure most of this is probably more of the same, but everything was clear on my end until round 8. After round 8, client froze at some point (was not related to clicking on standings). Possibly related: Was also running live HEX server as well as other programs. After the round countdown started for round 9, decided to relog. Did not unfreeze/successfully relog until sideboard phase of round 9 after losing the first game. Lost second game of round 9, back to lobby, client froze again. Relogged earlier when the following round (10) started, but was unable to make it past the client freeze boss, thus completely unable to play in round 10.

Overall, pretty huge improvement from before, guys! Keep up the good work. Hopefully some of this info is relevant.
(IGN: Etruia)

Timlagor
06-21-2015, 10:47 AM
I played through the whole tournament. I won't do so again: it was far too long and far too aggravating (and I had a comparatively bug-free experience and good result).

If/when there is another I might play the first couple of rounds as I get the impression that most of the useful data can be gathered from that anyway: a small award for participation would be sensible (another for sticking it out would also be good if the later rounds serve a useful purpose).

There were some changes I noticed and disliked. I don't know if they were related to the test server hardware or planned changes coming to the main server in the future but I'll express my disapprobation and hope they don't rear their heads again.

There was a horrible change in the software that forced me to say I was ready every single turn (even though I had no 'stop' in that phase). I stopped playing Infinity Wars pretty quickly because they made me click for every single attack -try to keep my clicking to the minimum! (I'd like to be able to set it to skip any time I have nothing I can do: the option screen should have many many more toggles).

F4 then F10 resulted in no one attacking (did it a few times; think I won those fights anyway)

CHAT
- Battle Channel is simply terrible: the inaccessibility post-fight is very aggravating when you want to talk to your opponent.
- whisper tab was hard to access which is also a bad change.
- Pass All Priority messages in chat were bugged
* didn't disappear when changing chat channel
* alternated between On and Off messages inaccurately over multiple turns (ie said PAP Off when it should have said On if I had had On in previous turn)

Fyren
06-21-2015, 11:09 AM
My experience was pretty reasonable.

Round 1: Opponent AFK

Round 2: Fine

Round 3: Won one game against InfamousNe0 onstream, then he bugged out, hanging on the starfield for game 2

Round 4-6: Fine

Round 7: Won game 2 due to opponent DC, but lost both actual games anyway

Round 8-10: Fine

Overall, 8-2 in 14th. 5 packs was more than I'd hoped for going in!

For me, the worst part of the tournament was the tournament screen itself; Round 1 and 2 it seemed to work okay, but every round it got laggier and laggier. I think it was lagging a few seconds every time it updated any game's status, and not being able to see the standings was aggravating. Ultimately, what I had to do was close the client after every BO3, then log back in and click on any other tab before it could automatically suck me into the tournament screen. I would get pulled into the next game anyway when the round started, but couldn't be on the tournament page and functional.

Valoisian
06-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Does anyone of the final results? Kinda interested where I came in at 7-3. Because of the buggy standings board all I know is I came in somewhere between 20th and 100th. :rolleyes:

EntropyBall
06-21-2015, 01:09 PM
My client kept just completely locking up, to the point where I had to hard reset my computer. Couldn't even pull up task manager and kill the process. Opponent afk first round, then I had to leave in the middle of the second round. I also doubt I will ever play in a tournament that has 6+ rounds. Just takes up more of the day than I can usually give.

Yoss
06-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Does anyone of the final results? Kinda interested where I came in at 7-3. Because of the buggy standings board all I know is I came in somewhere between 20th and 100th. :rolleyes:

Me too.

Voormas
06-21-2015, 05:54 PM
Wish I could have joined in but timezones made it impossible, sounds like despite the (many, many) bugs it would have been fun

purehybrid
06-21-2015, 06:06 PM
My experience was pretty reasonable.

Round 1: Opponent AFK

Round 2: Fine

Round 3: Won one game against InfamousNe0 onstream, then he bugged out, hanging on the starfield for game 2

Round 4-6: Fine

Round 7: Won game 2 due to opponent DC, but lost both actual games anyway

Round 8-10: Fine

Woah. Lucky! Mine experience was:

Round 1: Game 1 went fine and won, Game 2 client wouldn't let me connect, when I finally did I had no hand and
had to play with 1 card per turn only. Drew no shards, so that didn't even work. Game 3, client wouldn't let me connect at all.

Round 2: Wasn't put into game 1. Restarted client over and over for a good half an hour, got nowhere.

Round 3: Same as round two, except I got into game 2, again with no cards or deck visible, couldn't play anything.

Round 4: Same as round two. At one point I reconnected into sideboard, then the client glitched out again. Gave up.

Over 4 hours of frustration :(

Wastelands
06-21-2015, 10:27 PM
First round during sideboarding game looked to have frozen so relogged to try fix but couldn't rejoin round.

After that I had a couple of rounds vs afk opponents (1 with a 190 card deck and a set 3 champion)

Also had a couple of rounds where opponents seemed afk/connection bug in match 1 but got to play game 2

In my last round opponent was afk/connection bug for game 1 so that timed out after 5 mins, got victory screen sideboard then game 2 ended as we where about to start turn 1, got the victory screen again and went back to sideboard, game 3 we got to play I lost and final results showed I had lost 2-1 overall.

I manged to play about 4 rounds without problems, except for the lag, and the client freezing, ending up 7-3

Halsey
06-22-2015, 10:19 PM
My later games are kind of blurred together, I was able to stay in and play, but not keep my whole focus on the game. I know there wasn't a single round I played that I didn't get to play at least one game despite the issues. Over all I was very impressed with the improvements. Honestly, based on prior tests, I'm surprised the tournament managed to launch successfully at all, with over 700 players. The fact that it ran through to a top 8 is just amazing in terms of progress made since the last one.

I'd also like to apologize to any opponents I had in the last round or two of the swiss that got stuck waiting for me to time out. I had gone to a friends house to help them with some statistics homework and was playing by remoting into my desktop at home using my laptop for the last couple rounds I actually played. Unfortunately I didn't realize I had forgotten to toss my power cord in the bag with the laptop until it was shutting down due to a dying battery. Not sure if there were one ore two rounds of swiss left at that point, and my desktop was disconnected from the game, and I'm guessing the server shutdown by the time I got home. So I have no idea if I was disconnected, or just AFK during the last round or two, so sorry to anyone paired against me, I know it's irritating to stare at the screen waiting.