PDA

View Full Version : whats your favorite set three card and why?

bizznach
06-21-2015, 08:51 AM
mine will be psychic torment i think...
because i love building non troop damage combo decks

DarkShadowNL
06-21-2015, 09:16 AM
Windsinger, Master of the Hunt is mine. Just because it reminds me of a certain card in the other game with which I had huge successes :P Sunsoul Phoenix is a close second

Xavon
06-21-2015, 09:39 AM
One favorite... That's tough.

Syzygy is definitely up there. If we had more Escalation cards, I would definitely make a deck with that, escalation, and Wrenlock.

Titania's Majesty is interesting because you can play and buff a creature, potentially one you don't have the resources or threshold to play otherwise.

Tribal Warfare for Ruby tribe decks can easily clear your opponent's board. I can't wait to try it in my WarBot deck.

I really like Mettle. It may not be quick like Bravery or Lunge, but its CBR is incredibly high.

But I think my winner is Exiled Bard, just because I want to build a deck around him.

Olfff
06-21-2015, 09:43 AM
Bastard-spawn of Bokrug , because :

- Multi shard hype !
- First Chaostouched legendary
- Ridiculous effect
- Mill is becoming a thing
- Art is amazing
- I can extend my " Cthulhu mythos and Hex " topic with Bokrug references ^^

Thoom
06-21-2015, 09:47 AM
Bastard-spawn of Bokrug , because

His name is Bob!

My favorite card is Dreamsmoke Mystic. Fantastic art, fantastic effect, and it's uncommon so I'll be able to play with it often in drafts.

Baldo
06-21-2015, 09:49 AM
Thunderfield elder:

-Aggressively costed with an effect that will provide big benefit to clever deckbuilders, with the "risk" of its randomness being the downside (but able to be mitigated with proper deck building).
-Can fit into a lot of decks, lots of directions to go with this one
-Mastery of time blowouts

Vorsa
06-21-2015, 10:05 AM
There are much more thoughtful answers, but right now I'll say Flaring Passions.

1. Can't get enough of the Mancubus - day 1 EA!
2. I have been trying to concoct demonic R/B decks, and Flaring Passions + Bunoshi sounds like the perfect recipe for removal & buffing.

nicosharp
06-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Hard choice between Quick Brown Fox and Soul of Battle.
I fear for their price points come set 3.

tyra
06-21-2015, 10:32 AM
that white Major Socket action that creates two Iljunis... I love that card :D

Olfff
06-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Btw is personally think that the wild action giving " can not be countered" to any troop in deck sharing a trait with troop on board is amazing and was much needed by wild.

vulture27
06-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Quash Ridge Tuskar.

The longer Hex exists the more important one and two drops will become. This guy can be a beast.

Xavon
06-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Hard choice between Quick Brown Fox and Soul of Battle.
I fear for their price points come set 3.

I'd like the Quick Brown Fox better if she could not be blocked by dogs (or got Flight when your opponent control a dog).

Xavon
06-21-2015, 11:12 AM
that white Major Socket action that creates two Iljunis... I love that card :D

What card is that? I don't see it in the set list.

Mahes
06-21-2015, 11:14 AM
I would have to say Periwinkle. It just looks like a lot of fun to copy 5+ cost spells. Of course he is death bait as soon as he drops but then so are all the 5+ cost creatures.

Elwinz
06-21-2015, 11:24 AM
What card is that? I don't see it in the set list.

Iljun's parade. was on the test server.

israel.kendall
06-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Vampire Princess AA.

yoyogod
06-21-2015, 11:56 AM
Army of Myth (though I do hope everyone else hates it so I can get a playset cheap on the AH).

I love the idea of filling the board with powerful unique cards for the same cost as Eye of Creation. I especially love comboing it with the bard.

stiii
06-21-2015, 12:13 PM
Windsinger, Master of the Hunt is mine. Just because it reminds me of a certain card in the other game with which I had huge successes :P Sunsoul Phoenix is a close second

I like how this could be two different cards as it has the abilities of both. And yeah Phoenix is also absurd.

IronPheasant
06-21-2015, 12:24 PM
https://hextcg.com/wp-content/themes/hex/images/autocard/Sylvan%20Performer.png

And it's not even close. Not even a contest.

Green needs draw to compete with white and purple's removal. This card has taken sealed games where it would have been close, into set ups where I just ground the other guy out completely. It's like Runeweb Infiltrator or Thunderbird; if it can do its thing, it needs to die pronto or you'll lose.

Set 3 has finally given green the tools it needs to actually play the game. It is 3 times better than the first 2 sets. Hopefully when the rabbits return to the spotlight, they'll have some capacity to draw a bit more effectively than just the Moon Sensei with zero bounce/flicker, which is necessary to exploit him repeatedly.

Elwinz
06-21-2015, 12:26 PM
my favouirte are cerber and phoenix

NOBLEStarshield
06-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Druidic Exoshaper has awesome art. One of my personal favorites

WolfCrypt
06-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Windsinger his effects are great and lets not even mention what I want out of him I think he's really sexy lol

RanaDunes
06-21-2015, 01:11 PM
Tireless Researcher is NUTS....

Xavon
06-21-2015, 01:22 PM
Iljun's parade. was on the test server.

Is that PvE?

Aradon
06-21-2015, 01:35 PM
No, it's PvP. I used it in some of my gauntlet decks. It's a rare.

Axle
06-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Wasn't listed in the Armies of Myth card list yep. At the bottom there was this:

Cards images currently not available: Rotting Knight, Crypt Shrieker, Iljun’s Parade, Sandstone Rumbler, Kin of Olkoth, Grove Whisperer, Paragon of Righteousness

4 Cost Basic Action, 2 Diamond Threshold (rare)
Create 2 Iljuni Mirthkin (2/2) and give them this card's sockets (Major).

It's pretty good.

Feegert
06-21-2015, 02:35 PM
My favorite card is Walking Calamity because unicornpoop Extinction.

wolzarg
06-21-2015, 05:00 PM
My favorite card is Walking Calamity because unicornpoop Extinction.

Say hello to countermagic!

Saeijou
06-21-2015, 05:03 PM
Frigid Buffalo!!!!

Malicus
06-21-2015, 05:24 PM
https://hextcg.com/wp-content/themes/hex/images/autocard/Sylvan%20Performer.png

And it's not even close. Not even a contest.

Green needs draw to compete with white and purple's removal. This card has taken sealed games where it would have been close, into set ups where I just ground the other guy out completely. It's like Runeweb Infiltrator or Thunderbird; if it can do its thing, it needs to die pronto or you'll lose.

Set 3 has finally given green the tools it needs to actually play the game. It is 3 times better than the first 2 sets. Hopefully when the rabbits return to the spotlight, they'll have some capacity to draw a bit more effectively than just the Moon Sensei with zero bounce/flicker, which is necessary to exploit him repeatedly.

Just be mindful that draw can be a double edged sword now. This card cost me a match I should have won because I did not consider the possible implications of drawing a card.

Malakili
06-21-2015, 06:40 PM
Arcane Focus. One cost cantrips all day.

Incindium
06-21-2015, 06:55 PM
https://hextcg.com/wp-content/themes/hex/images/autocard/Woolvir%20Baa%27sher.png

Awesome aggro common to pair with the +1 Orc champ in limited. One of the cards that I really liked playing on the Test Server.

Steelio
06-22-2015, 03:11 AM
Starsight Oracle is awesome :D

poizonous
06-22-2015, 03:50 AM
https://hextcg.com/wp-content/themes/hex/images/autocard/Woolvir%20Baa%27sher.png

Awesome aggro common to pair with the +1 Orc champ in limited. One of the cards that I really liked playing on the Test Server.

rated him the highest common of the set

Cernz
06-22-2015, 05:03 AM
Deadeye Slicer - sword looks cute ;)

incitfulmonk21
06-22-2015, 08:47 AM
Love stompy, Love mill decks. Ageless Troubadour and Periwinkle get my vote as favorite cards!

EDIT: Really like Titania's Majesty as well. Go go mini eye of creation.

Kamino72
06-22-2015, 09:11 AM
Periwinkle !

To play with Titania's Majesty (major ruby socketed), for example.

Mermaid
06-22-2015, 09:11 AM
Periwinkle!!!! <3

Mahes
06-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Periwinkle !

To play with Titania's Majesty (major ruby socketed), for example.

That or cast rootfather with the major ruby and the +1+1. Do 18 damage and have 2 9/9's sitting on the board.

vickrpg
06-22-2015, 11:09 AM
Art and mechanics-wise I really like Heart of the Wrathwood. Well, more specifically, I love the art to Seed pod, and it'll be awesome for plant garden/brairpatch to have more seed counters to synergy with

It may not be the fastest or most effective card, but I like it lots.

IronPheasant
06-23-2015, 01:19 AM
https://hextcg.com/wp-content/themes/hex/images/autocard/Mind%20Rake.png

Instant speed card discard is about, oh, an infinity times more powerful than slowbro discard. Resolve this spell, have a couple of dudes on the field, and your opponent is down to being able to use his instants as he draws them and nothing else. If implemented as designed, I assume it'll be banned from PvE. Maybe. I don't know. The only guy in the Ice Ring that can counter it is the Ruby Enchantress, for whom the well never runs empty.

Xenavire
06-23-2015, 02:58 AM
Isn't that missing text? Seems like a no-brainer for it to say 'until end of turn'.

koma
06-23-2015, 04:05 AM
@IronPheasant Even if the wording is correct and is permanent, there is no window of priority between opponent drawing and playing a basic action(troop).

Poetic
06-23-2015, 05:30 AM
Don't have a favorite yet because I know like 10% of the cards, but Dreamsmoke Mystic seems awesome. A 3/3 body for 3 that can filter the top of your deck at what appears to be instant speed seems awesome. Would not be surprised to see W/S be a major player in the new meta.

poizonous
06-23-2015, 05:33 AM
Don't have a favorite yet because I know like 10% of the cards, but Dreamsmoke Mystic seems awesome. A 3/3 body for 3 that can filter the top of your deck at what appears to be instant speed seems awesome. Would not be surprised to see W/S be a major player in the new meta.

did you not look at the list of cards which show the entire set list?

LeMazing
06-23-2015, 06:52 AM
https://hextcg.com/wp-content/themes/hex/images/autocard/Eye%20of%20Lixil.png

Not the best card ever, but I like the possibilities. Could set up a Stonewall Jackson type deck for PvE.

Poetic
06-23-2015, 06:55 AM
did you not look at the list of cards which show the entire set list?

Nah, haven't examined it fully. I updated my checklist/spreadsheet. But haven't had time to read over the whole set and evaluate.

Aradon
06-23-2015, 09:36 AM
https://hextcg.com/wp-content/themes/hex/images/autocard/Eye%20of%20Lixil.png

Not the best card ever, but I like the possibilities. Could set up a Stonewall Jackson type deck for PvE.

This seemed like a prime target for a Shift ability. As it is, I don't really care for her.

Kami
06-23-2015, 09:41 AM
https://hextcg.com/wp-content/themes/hex/images/autocard/Ambush%20Guide.png

Love the artwork.

IronPheasant
06-23-2015, 11:03 AM
@IronPheasant Even if the wording is correct and is permanent, there is no window of priority between opponent drawing and playing a basic action(troop).

By god, you're right. Start of turn and main phase only, no draw step. What a weird game.

Discard will always be absolute garbage then. Good to know now instead of later!

Jormungandr
06-23-2015, 01:59 PM
By god, you're right. Start of turn and main phase only, no draw step. What a weird game.

Discard will always be absolute garbage then. Good to know now instead of later!

Yeah, cost 5 is pretty bad for this effect, especially when there's no window to reliably get their freshly drawn card before they can play it. (Which, as an aside, is probably for the best, as card denial as a strategy is extremely un-fun to play against.)

Ramping to it while your opponent still has cards in their hand, though, might be pretty good. If you can get three cards or so with this the turn you play it, and then basically force them to have an empty hand on your turn (i.e. cast their spell / play their resource first main phase each turn), it could be okay or even good in some matchups.

Even if you draw this late game and just force them to play their card right away each turn, it reduces or removes the effectiveness of some cards. (combat tricks, counterspells, holding troops against an extinction, etc.) Definitely terrible against enough decks that I wouldn't have high hopes for it, overall, but there are some decks that will hate to see this cast against them. Whether that makes it worth the cost and the card slot, hard to say for sure. I'm leaning towards fun to play with, but not actually a great card.

Xenavire
06-23-2015, 03:37 PM

Instant discard has always been avoided in almost every TCG I have played. Yugioh had a few fairly degenerate decks for a while thanks to drop off (and it may have made it to the ban list briefly), and MTG has been pretty careful with instant discard too.

I'd say the game mechanics in Hex allows us to have more instant discard without it being completely broken permanent lockdown. And thats a good thing.

IronPheasant
06-23-2015, 04:35 PM
It is probably the most subtle way this game differs from MTG that I've noticed, those phase stops.

Ramping into discard appears to have been carefully done to prevent resource destruction happening on turn 2. IE, two purple threshold to play your Corpse Fly or Arachnophobia, so your Howling Brave helps jack all. So the opponent is basically guaranteed to have two resources and a chance of playing the game.

Demolition is an evil naughty wicked card, but of course it can only do so much with four copies of it existing in a deck.

Xavon
06-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Demolition is an evil naughty wicked card, but of course it can only do so much with four copies of it existing in a deck.

Or twelve with the new dwarf...

Drake6k
06-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Highlands Blackbelt http://www.hexprimal.com/wp-content/uploads/HighlandsBlackbeltG.jpg

Incredible card that can do so many things. Ruby is my favorite shard and troops are my favorite type.

IronPheasant
06-25-2015, 08:41 PM
Heh, blackbelt. Had an opponent earlier today play one and I was like "aw crap, I've lost" assuming he'd fly in and kill all my 1 toughness troops. But... it never happened? Even... after he reverted her multiple times and had plenty of mana to do it? I guess he was going for the 2 * 2 * 2 punch or something?

Think I ended up winning that game, which I had no business winning.

Xenavire
06-26-2015, 03:39 AM
Heh, blackbelt. Had an opponent earlier today play one and I was like "aw crap, I've lost" assuming he'd fly in and kill all my 1 toughness troops. But... it never happened? Even... after he reverted her multiple times and had plenty of mana to do it? I guess he was going for the 2 * 2 * 2 punch or something?

I haven't personally tested the blackbelt, maybe its bugged? :p

NoahBuddy
06-26-2015, 05:54 AM
My fav is phenteo but i have not tried most of the cards. About mindrake, this could be the counter-counter. It can stop control from playing on your turn.

MatWith1T
06-26-2015, 09:14 AM

It's because she's bugged and doesn't make new cards when you revert her.