PDA

View Full Version : warning - hex patcher can delete your files

shocker455
06-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Just ran the hex patched for the test server, the same one I downloaded last week (It worked fine then). The patch seemed to freeze so I closed it and went to restart it. What I then noticed on my desktop is 80-90% of the icons are gone. at first I thought it was just short cuts were gone, no big deal. But no I lost games, a good amount of programs, folders with photos, my current work notes and other work files, and even my only digital copy of my taxes.

needless to say I'm not very happy at the moment... So let this be a warning for eveveryone else...

---------------------------------------

note: it only seemed to effect files on the desktop

Ps. Yes this should Probably go in the bug subform but people don't look there.

Zophie
06-24-2015, 08:05 PM
Uh, did you extract the patcher to the desktop itself, or were you running it from its own folder somewhere else?

Zophie
06-24-2015, 08:12 PM
Also, there are free file recovery software out there that might help you recover accidentally deleted files, provided you haven't written too much to your disk since they were deleted. Here is a freeware option I found: http://www.undelete360.com/

No guarantees on the success though, your mileage may vary.

Phenteo
06-24-2015, 09:56 PM
Thank you for alerting us. We're working with our Engineers to update the launcher.

Mejis
06-24-2015, 10:12 PM
Thank you for alerting us. We're working with our Engineers to update the launcher.

So any idea if the launcher could have altered files elsewhere? I patched from my standard hextest folder on my d drive this morning. Could that have affected files in locations I'm not aware of?

Phenteo
06-24-2015, 10:38 PM
No, the patcher would only delete files from the directory it is in and nowhere else.

Mejis
06-24-2015, 10:46 PM
No, the patcher would only delete files from the directory it is in and nowhere else.

That's good to know, thanks. Although feel very sorry for the OP :-/

ossuary
06-25-2015, 04:49 PM
Yeah, it's important to never update programs in an open folder, you should always put things in their own directory when using a computer. It's a very common practice for software to modify the contents of the folder it's installed in and its subdirectories, and this is usually done without naming specific files by name so that the patching process is future proof.

Very sorry to hear about the OP's troubles though, hopefully you can get some success with the recovery software.

israel.kendall
06-25-2015, 06:08 PM
To OP, please run recovery software ASAP if you want to recover files. If you continue using your computer there is a chance the files get overwritten and become extremely difficult / impossible to recover.