PDA

View Full Version : What Should You Use HEX API for?

Ertzi
06-27-2015, 12:33 AM
Okay, so I have been following the HEX API thread from the beginning, but most of the stuff in it goes way over my head. I have no skills in programming and am generally terrible with computers. However, this API thing is starting to sound super handy, so I guess I should finally figure out how to use it. I will start a new thread, because I do not want to spoil all the programming-talk in the other one with my newbishness :).

So, the purpose of this thread is to inquire how the API should be used, and I mean in very simple terms and generalities. What are the essential things you guys think everyone should learn how to do with it? I do not need all the super awesome things you can do with it, but some basic functions might suit me well.

If I understand correctly, the API helps enormously in tracking one's collection, so that would definitely be one of the usages I am interested in. So, if I want the API to always automatically add a card to a file with my collection whenever I purchase new cards or open new packs, it can do that, right? Do I need hex.tcgbrowser for that? I am still manually tracking my collection with a spreadsheet. Is that completely crazy at this point? Will the API do that sort of thing for me? I think it can track collection value as well? This would be very cool to see.

What sort of things you use the API for? I really do not know enough about this stuff to even understand the possibilities.

Basically any advice that is simple to follow would be appreciated. Where should I start with the API and all that. I am willing to learn, but I do not even know where to start. I feel so many people use the API today that I need to jump on the bandwagon to ease my HEX experience.

Thanks in advance!

Shadowflame
06-27-2015, 01:09 AM
If you're not a programmer, you don't need to use it. Use the applications developed for it. http://hex.tcgbrowser.com has a way to sync your collection. Of course, don't let me dissuade you from learning to program. http://codeacademy.com

RCDv57
06-27-2015, 08:46 AM
What shadowflame said.
It is kinda crazy to manually keep a collection spreadsheet up to date.

If you wanted to compile a code to do that for you automatically, you don't need to be a super advanced coder. From what little I know, it sounds like intermediate work. Or you could ask one some of the coders here if they could write something up that would update / generate a spreadsheet for you.

I would be very interested in something like that.

Ariathor
06-27-2015, 12:18 PM
Give your friendly programmer a (hex) cookie, you get to use their applications and they get the cookies, it's a win-win situation.

On a more serious note, I have written written a bare-bones draft analyzer tool for personal use, if there is enough interest I could release a beta version.

Ertzi
06-27-2015, 01:48 PM
If you're not a programmer, you don't need to use it. Use the applications developed for it. http://hex.tcgbrowser.com has a way to sync your collection. Of course, don't let me dissuade you from learning to program. http://codeacademy.com

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed to know. So I should definitely just use existing apps. I will check out that tcgbrowser synch thingy. That might be enough for me. I think that requires messing with game files though, is that absolutely safe? And more importantly, easy? :D

Also, what other apps are there. Is there a list somewhere?

Ertzi
06-27-2015, 01:50 PM
What shadowflame said.
It is kinda crazy to manually keep a collection spreadsheet up to date.

If you wanted to compile a code to do that for you automatically, you don't need to be a super advanced coder. From what little I know, it sounds like intermediate work. Or you could ask one some of the coders here if they could write something up that would update / generate a spreadsheet for you.

I would be very interested in something like that.

How many plats would you charge for this? Would it need to be updated regularly? I kinda like spreadsheets. I'm old school.

Ertzi
06-27-2015, 01:52 PM
Give your friendly programmer a (hex) cookie, you get to use their applications and they get the cookies, it's a win-win situation.

In a more serious note, I have written written a bare-bones draft analyzer tool for personal use, if there is enough interest I could release a beta version.

I remember reading about the draft tool. Definitely something I am interested in. I keep pretty obsessive stats on my drafts as it is :D.

Ariathor
06-28-2015, 06:05 AM
Thanks, this is exactly what I needed to know. So I should definitely just use existing apps. I will check out that tcgbrowser synch thingy. That might be enough for me. I think that requires messing with game files though, is that absolutely safe? And more importantly, easy? :D

Also, what other apps are there. Is there a list somewhere?

You just need to change the config.ini in your Hex Client folder to enable the API. Any tool based on it will require this step.

As far as I know the API is used in:
uDraftbot by Risterral
ShareYourDraft by dBug
tcgBrowser sync by bogycoins
hexsales deck sync by cwik
draft suggestions based on value by DocX (OS X only I think)

You can find all these either here or under Auction House and Trading.

dbug
06-28-2015, 06:23 AM
Just released a new project that used the API http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=44079

Ertzi
06-28-2015, 12:18 PM
You just need to change the config.ini in your Hex Client folder to enable the API. Any tool based on it will require this step.

As far as I know the API is used in:
uDraftbot by Risterral
ShareYourDraft by dBug
tcgBrowser sync by bogycoins
hexsales deck sync by cwik
draft suggestions based on value by DocX (OS X only I think)

You can find all these either here or under Auction House and Trading.

Wow! Thanks a lot for the list. I will check them all out for sure. Precisely what I was looking for. Now I can go find more information about these tools. I will use the ones I understand. Some sound a bit tricky. Really awesome that the community is producing these already though.

Ertzi
06-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Just released a new project that used the API http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=44079

I checked the site out. Very cool tool. Can this be used to view the draft at a later time (for educational purposes), or does it only work real-time?

RCDv57
06-28-2015, 06:24 PM
How many plats would you charge for this? Would it need to be updated regularly? I kinda like spreadsheets. I'm old school.

I've only ever written like 4 lines of code.
I just know enough to know that it wouldn't be too tricky for someone with experience to figure out. If I did have the skills I wouldn't charge for it.

But I also don't know how hard it is to have code alter and read files. I'm pretty sure its not that difficult.

Svenn
06-28-2015, 06:53 PM
How many plats would you charge for this? Would it need to be updated regularly? I kinda like spreadsheets. I'm old school.I plan on trying to use the api to update my Google spreadsheet once they put in support for things like AA cards in the collections. I've got a programming degree but I'm a little rusty. If I get that set up I'll share it for those who like spreadsheet tracking.

QuartZ
06-29-2015, 11:23 AM
OK, total API newbie here, mostly in the same boat that OP.
I want something to help me track my collection. Apparently hextcgbrowser synch gets the work done. But this works in Mac OS? the API in general works in Mac OS?

vickrpg
06-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Don't get your hopes up, but I'm currently working on (for my own education, mostly) a google spreadsheets add-on that will auto update your collection.

I'm a terrible hobby programmer, though, so you should expect me to be done later™ rather than soon™

OK, total API newbie here, mostly in the same boat that OP.
I want something to help me track my collection. Apparently hextcgbrowser synch gets the work done. But this works in Mac OS? the API in general works in Mac OS?

yes, it does.

Ertzi
06-29-2015, 02:44 PM
If anyone manages to come up with a working tool that automatically makes spreadsheets and I get it to work with my collection, I will instantly donate some plat to this person. That would be ideal for me. I kinda prefer the simple format to hextcgbrowser's one. Awesome site though, and I would use their synch as well. This manual stuff is getting a little insane :D

dbug
06-30-2015, 09:18 AM
I think, there is already a tool by Kroan that lets you export the output of the API to a "simpler" text file. This text file can probably easily imported in a spreadsheet

edit: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=40975&p=467817&viewfull=1#post467817