PDA

View Full Version : Better animated battlefield ?

siegfried
06-27-2015, 04:00 AM
Hi, I'm just worried about the Battlefield of Hex being very ''sad'' with no animations and special effects (the ost isn't better)
I know it's a bit earlier to improve this side of the game but will it change in the futur? switching from real card to a digital one should have better impact than the actual game we have ( but maybe its a question of time, we are still in beta)
Otherwise, i can't see Hex dominating Hearthstone or SpellWeaver ( i don't understand why people don't talk about it when it can be the direct deal agaisnt hex)
You can tell me HS is different, but let's be honest, HEX NEEDS to be number one and i would love it but it's far from this reality...
Hope it improve with time...

Elwinz
06-27-2015, 04:09 AM
Well. Shinies attract a lot of poeple. Personaly i hate shinies. While current player pool is low i hate huge communities. Huge communities will have far too many trolls/elittist etc and will not be the same anymore.

Fyren
06-27-2015, 08:46 AM
Hearthstone has a lot of flaws - or I would be playing it right now - but it has one thing right and one thing all other card games should learn from - it's polished. The UI for it is beautiful and handles exquisitely with a minimum number of clicks. The cards are memorable just as much by their enter-play phrases as their images.

Now, the set 3 test server days DID have much higher quality sound assets for the cards, so that's a step in the right direction, but it could definitely stand to improve. I am definitely hoping that does come with time, but A) unique animations for every card (esp. every action; most non-Legendary HS minions use the same animation)would be difficult in a game with many times as many cards, and B) the current priority does overall seem to be the backend systems.

Well. Shinies attract a lot of poeple. Personaly i hate shinies. While current player pool is low i hate huge communities. Huge communities will have far too many trolls/elittist etc and will not be the same anymore.

...Okay. Did... you just say Hex should not have better animations because you want it to remain small? :p

Timlagor
06-27-2015, 08:51 AM
I found Hearthstone very shallow and dull to play.

While shinies are fine they need to be OPTIONAL in the client. I gather there's a lot of room for optimisation in the current system but it uses an absolutely horrific load of graphical resources at present (for what it does).

I'd much rather they worked on letting us shut down the particle effect than on introducing even more.

Fyren
06-27-2015, 08:54 AM
I found Hearthstone very shallow and dull to play.

I don't think anyone here is disputing that it's mechanically shallow, but the UI is an elegant work of fine art.

Poetic
06-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Definitely team shinies optional. I want to be able to turn that stuff off when it's added in the future. Hope we can turn off the EA too. I like things simple.

Salverus
06-27-2015, 09:00 AM
there will be an option to turn EA off, since it also removes all text from the cards, which might leave an opponent very puzzled about your cards.

Koz
06-27-2015, 09:02 AM
I certainly don't need a bunch of glitz added to Hex to make it better, but the game really needs to get on the ball with the PvE stuff IMO if it wasn't to keep any traction going. That is what it is really going to separate it from the herd.

However...Spellweaver definitely has my attention. Not just because it looks cool and fun to play, but because they took the RNG thing a bit more serious than Hex and built in some systems that will help reduce screw/flood. They have a one free mulligan rule (you have to keep the second hand), and they have a built in feature that allows you to put a card in your hand on the bottom of your deck to search your top 4 cards for a Shrine (their version of mana). Not only those things, but they also have you start with a single point of mana and most of their mana cards also draw you a card when you play them in addition to gaining a mana which helps reduce flood chances. I wish Hex had learned from Magic about how stupid screw/flood is and how much worse it is in digital format when the deck is truly randomly shuffled.

Still, Hex is awesome and I'm sticking with it, although I will probably end up playing both...at least until dungeons finally arrive, because after that I may end up being a "Hex only" kinda guy...

Halsey
06-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Definitely team shinies optional. I want to be able to turn that stuff off when it's added in the future. Hope we can turn off the EA too. I like things simple.

Definitely this. This is another point where I'm fairly certain I'm way in the minority, but I hate the animations and particle effects, please give us the option at some point to turn most if not all of that stuff off. Troops with flying hovering over the play field instead of laying flat almost convinced me not to back the kickstarter. Mainly since that has been a pet peeve of mine since I saw it in Duels of the Plainswalkers. On the other hand I love the emblems on the cards to represent keywords, the wings are great, as are the fist for crush and all the rest. Being able to glance at a card and tell what it has is awesome, especially after modifications from other plays, many cards on the field (making them smaller), and multiple keywords on a single card.

I guess what it comes down to is information availability. One of the things that does on occasion irritate me is the fact that everything in hex that I want to see requires a zoom that essentially blocks out the playing field. For example, if I'm playing a deck with Call the Grave and Mentor of the Grave, it would be nice to be able to see what's in the graveyards without having to zoom it in and scroll though them. I hate to say it, but of the many digital TCG and CCG style games I've tried, I've probably spent enough time with MTGO, HEX, (these two, far and away the majority), Duels of the plainswalkers, Sol Forge, and hearthstone, (maybe cardhunter), to really be comfortable giving an opinion, and I think MTGO has the best play screen of the lot. The program as a whole is horrid, but the play screens, from the original by Leaping Lizards to the current have always done at least a decent job of keeping all the information you could want to see easily available. (as a side note, for duel screens the last version of MTGO was probably my favorite, the current one irritates for reasons I have a hard time articulating, but I find it more than functional).

Back to the point, all the animations and fancy effects do for me is distract from what I actually want to see. I've never been the type to say, "I like this, so it should be the only option.", and I'm glad they have all the animations, sounds etc. for those that enjoy them, I'd just really like the option, at some point, to turn them off and play a card game.

I'd love to be able to turn off EA as well, have always loved looking at those types of cards, and hated playing with or against them. Though as long as there is a way to read the cards text it's livable either way, but I still feel it obscures the information a bit. One shots are a specific case, I LOVE the fact that the 'one shot' on the card is in the funky box with the glaring background, and that they disappear off the card once used, (brilliant application of the digital mediums ability to change cards on the fly in my opinion), again at a glance I can tell if a one shot ability has been used or not, even when the cards start getting small. That at a minimum will likely go away when playing with or against EA cards.

HEX is by a large margin my current favorite digital card game of any kind. I've backed that statement up with my admittedly limited wallet both during the kickstarter and since. To be blunt, since I saw the kickstarter it's gotten my gaming budget, and most of the rest of my entertainment money, along with making me stretch those budgets a bit more than I probably should a couple times. I LOVE this game, but I'd love it even more if there were more options for customizing the play screen to show more information and less fluff. I'm hoping that at some point there will be, knowing full well, that right now dev time needs to go primarily to getting the game 'feature complete', then they can hopefully dedicate some time to options and quality of life improvements on a regular basis.

...Okay. Did... you just say Hex should not have better animations because you want it to remain small? :p

Torn on this part to a large degree, I want this game to be huge, to make billions of dollars for Cory and the whole team, and to last forever. On the other hand, I get what Elwinz is saying, there are huge advantages to a smaller community. Right now if you PM most of the HEX employees with a question here on the forums I'm betting you've got a very good chance of getting a response, even if you don't try contacting them directly they often jump into threads, don't mind going back and forth a bit about the API etc. Once the community reaches a certain mass, we lose that to a large degree, and that day will suck. To be clear, I can't see HEX not interacting with us, community seems to be important enough to them, that I have no fear of the interaction going away, but at some point direct access to people like Data Dragon and Chark is going to go away or become a lot more limited. It will be far more likely that most interaction with the team will be though Phenteo and likely an army of spiderling minions working for him.

Okay, thanks to anyone taking the time to read the above mess, and now that I've created another rambling example of why I'm better as a lurker, I'll slip back to the corner and hide for a while longer.

PureVapes
06-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Hearthstone and even Spellweaver (which claims to be a TCG) are not TCGs, and are really a necessary evil for a good TCG like Hex, because they provide a gateway from collecting a pile of worthless junk in a simplistic model to building an actually tradeable collection that will have future permanence. In the same way a good TCG doesn't need power creep to keep people buying (unlike HS and other CCGs), Hex doesn't need the glitz and glamour to maintain its player base, though it could use some polishing around the edges and QoL improvements.

However, that's largely due to the original team developing the software dropping out and CZE having to pick up the pieces. Hex being more popular than Hearthstone is simply a matter of time in my opinion, and mostly unrelated to how flashy or animated the board is. There are definitely a lot of cool things they could do with different playing areas, especially with the dungeons and such, but it shouldn't be their top priority at the moment.

Barkam
06-27-2015, 12:22 PM
Cory and the team is very well aware of pros and cons of large and small communities. The reason why the game is brilliant is because you can have both at the same time and coexist. Large community to keepp the game popular and going. Small communites are supported through guilds. This is why I am looking forward to guild tools. A chat for guild members would already be huge that would show up anywhere would be good to have that small community feel.

israel.kendall
06-27-2015, 02:14 PM
Cory and the team is very well aware of pros and cons of large and small communities. The reason why the game is brilliant is because you can have both at the same time and coexist. Large community to keepp the game popular and going. Small communites are supported through guilds. This is why I am looking forward to guild tools. A chat for guild members would already be huge that would show up anywhere would be good to have that small community feel.

On the topic of guild chat, if HEX put some sort of notification when new messages were posted to custom channels we could actually have workable guild chats right now.

ossuary
06-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Winter is coming. So are UI improvements.

:)

Crimguy
06-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Hi 1st post - I think.

I've been playing for a week or so. Eye candy is important, but in my limited time with the game I'd prioritize the following way ahead of it:
1) faster, more responsive UI with more consistent interface across all screens;
2) consistent format for card text, make sure there's no errors, and make sure all hex-specific terminology has a popup description
3) get the freezes and crashes sorted out.

israel.kendall
06-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Winter is coming. So are UI improvements.

:)

Coming on July 14th? The chat notification thing? Or do we have to wait til real winter? =/

Kaiba_Graysoul
06-28-2015, 01:27 AM
Hi 1st post - I think.

I've been playing for a week or so. Eye candy is important, but in my limited time with the game I'd prioritize the following way ahead of it:
1) faster, more responsive UI with more consistent interface across all screens;
2) consistent format for card text, make sure there's no errors, and make sure all hex-specific terminology has a popup description
3) get the freezes and crashes sorted out.

Just on number 3 I was wondering how bad this is for you, I don't think iv had a crash, hold for stress test in like 18 months, you might have an issue somewhere on your system.

israel.kendall
06-28-2015, 01:35 AM
Just on number 3 I was wondering how bad this is for you, I don't think iv had a crash, hold for stress test in like 18 months, you might have an issue somewhere on your system.

I was thinking the same thing. I can't remember HEX crashing on me in forever-ever.

Salverus
06-28-2015, 01:45 AM
you can find all the times your game crashed in the game folder, ive had a few;
http://i.imgur.com/BxasCr9.png

Sparrow
06-28-2015, 02:50 AM
Speaking as a non-fanboy, I think Hex's battlefield design is the best of any TCG I've seen. Functionality is much more important than bling. As far as comparisons to Hearthstone go, there's so little going on in that game it desperately needs battlefield distractions.

What will sell Hex is its unique design elements, the non-unique parts that are similar to Magic, PVE world, types of events, price point, and community. I don't think any player that doesn't enjoy at least two of those aspects is going to stick around because the game has windmills you can spin or lights that turn on when you click them (or whatever HS has, can't remember).

I'm not against spliffing it up either, though, just not necessary IMO.

Oli
06-28-2015, 03:03 AM
Some kind of battle-history is really needed.
Sometimes I just can't figure out what happened.

Xenavire
06-28-2015, 03:09 AM
Some kind of battle-history is really needed.
Sometimes I just can't figure out what happened.

Definitely this. Was going to comment about how everything seems fine for now, but a battle log would be so freaking handy.

Erukk
06-28-2015, 06:21 AM
Definitely this. Was going to comment about how everything seems fine for now, but a battle log would be so freaking handy.

If they ever add something like battle history into the game, I kinda hope they might integrate the Chat into the UI, even if it's only off to the side or on the bottom. To me, the chat screen always felt a bit clunky since its always covering up something, and I'd rather not have to deal with another floating window taking up space on the screen.

Xenavire
06-28-2015, 07:47 AM
If they ever add something like battle history into the game, I kinda hope they might integrate the Chat into the UI, even if it's only off to the side or on the bottom. To me, the chat screen always felt a bit clunky since its always covering up something, and I'd rather not have to deal with another floating window taking up space on the screen.

Never having a place for the chat is another of my pet peeves, but I do play on a small screen so I figured it was mainly my own fault there. :p

Salverus
06-28-2015, 07:52 AM
Never having a place for the chat is another of my pet peeves, but I do play on a small screen so I figured it was mainly my own fault there. :p

Couldnt agree more, several times i've put it on the right side and then forgot there was some kind of construction plans behind it that i forgot.

Xenavire
06-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Couldnt agree more, several times i've put it on the right side and then forgot there was some kind of construction plans behind it that i forgot.

I do that with tunnelers :p at least they are on auto-pilot haha.

Steelio
06-28-2015, 09:02 AM
Well there's a couple of shinies you could implement. I'd like to see lighted edging for cards which receive a buff, in the colour of the buff. So if you cast preservation on a card, the outer borders of the card would shine white. If a card acquires a keyword, there could be some kind of special fx to do with the symbol, like for example, the symbol 'etches' into the card. These are only examples, and I'm more than happy with the game as is. I'm glad to see the sound FX being worked on though, I must say.

Yoss
06-28-2015, 10:12 PM
All I know is, I want Hex to actually run fast at some point. I hate how poorly optimized it has been for my integrated graphics laptop. I would much rather play with the Shandalar UI in order to have it be snappy and always ready for my next click or hotkey. Right now I play faster than the UI can keep up and it's irksome.

Once that's fixed, I'm all for more eye candy.

RCDv57
06-29-2015, 09:12 AM
+1 for the better chatbox placement thingy.
I don't like how many clicks it takes to open and close and move that thing around while playing a game.
Outside of games it's still annoying but not as bad.

israel.kendall
06-29-2015, 09:29 AM
In all fairness it takes only a single click to open it...and I like the freedom of being able to move the chat to where I want it. I just wish it remembered where I placed it and how I resized it and stayed that way every time I entered a game.

regomar
06-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Of all the things you can criticize about Hex... this isn't one of them. The game looks gorgeous. I can't imagine anyone looking at it and thinking it was ugly or didn't have enough pizazz.