PDA

View Full Version : About name impersonators

Phoenixfire
06-28-2015, 05:12 AM
I know that impersonating a HEX employee is NOT allowed

but what making a very similar name to a regular player?

this morning I asked a guild mate to lend me a pack and some plat I needed for a draft

he ended up sending it but to someone named "starpheonix" accidentaly he got the oe reversed and the mail went through to someone with a extremely close name to mine, hoping that the personw ho received it with a extremely close name to mine will return it, or it will time out in 24 hours.

I can see this not ending well if theres no rules against it.

EDITED: I am not accusing this specific player of impersonation, but I would like a rule about mimicking very similar names since this can be very easily abused.

desk
06-28-2015, 05:26 AM
I know that impersonating a HEX employee is NOT allowed

but what impersonating regular players?

this morning I asked a guild mate to lend me a pack and some plat I needed for a draft

he ended up sending it but to someone named "starpheonix" accidentaly he got the oe reversed and the mail went through to someone with a extremely close name to mine.

I can see this not ending well if theres no rules against it.

Some one with a similar name to you is not impersonating you and you need to be careful with those accusations. If some one is actually impersonating you to scam that would be different and should be reported. Many of us including me do not have very original names, it's not surprising someone else wanted the name couldn't get it so slightly modified the spelling. This will be more common as the population increases at some point they will probably have to do an inactive name purge to free up names which a lot of free to play games have to do.

Phoenixfire
06-28-2015, 05:33 AM
DESK I see your point, I edited original post to be clear im not accusing this specific player of impersonating me, but I do want rules against it in future.

Xenavire
06-28-2015, 05:35 AM
Well, I know from experience that I am the only Xenavire around, so if anyone see's an alternative spelling in-game, please report them. :p

havocattack
06-28-2015, 05:40 AM
If you see someone with the name NewStarPhoenix then you can worry xD

Salverus
06-28-2015, 05:41 AM
Personally i see no problem with two players having almost similar names. This becomes inevitable when the community grows. If people can not register a new account with a name that is slightly similar with names that already exist, we will quickly run out of possible usernames. Besides if it was impersonating, how is to prove he is impersonating you, instead of you impersonating him?

The only solution i see to this 'problem' is to add an option to send a mail directly from your friend list to that friend, thus to avoid the chance of misspelling a name.

Poetic
06-28-2015, 05:49 AM
I don't see how this is something they could make a rule about. It'll get harder and harder for people to make names as the community grows. Switching letters around on a name someone wants will be pretty common.

Stok3d
06-28-2015, 06:04 AM
If you see someone with the name NewStarPhoenix then you can worry xD

lol... this did have me chuckle havoc. :)

This will be more common as the population increases

This is exactly what I was thinking and you beat me to it. Lets take a game that used to be dear to me before the Hex KS... WoW. I owned the name Stoked on a server... There are currently 167x Stoked's on different servers. In Addition, all of the ASCII O's and E's are likely taken as well for names that are popular. I used to 5-box myself using the same name with alt vowels.

Long story short, alt spellings to popular names will happen as the population increases. Everyone wants the handle they typically play with in games or something they believe is clever. Unfortunately, they may not have been the first to come up with it...

Showsni
06-28-2015, 06:31 AM
Just make sure people are very clear about how to spell your name before they hit send. I'm sure I've seen a few people spell mine Berkely...

Kami
06-28-2015, 06:58 AM
Non-standard alpha characters in a name (i.e. anything that's not your typical abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz) will eventually be dealt with. If you actually see names abusing non-standard alpha characters, feel free to screenshot and make a report to HEX support.

This is an issue that's come up before.

Sparrow
06-28-2015, 07:27 AM
I don't see how they can ban similar names. For example if Sparrow is taken in a game, I'll pick Spaerrow or Sparrowe. Sparrow's my name so I'm always going to use something that's phonetically identical and, to be honest, would have a serious problem if I couldn't.

ManofPeace
06-28-2015, 07:35 AM
I recall a similar thread awhile back about this and lo and behold, the OP was you.
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=39181
Where's the sense of entitlement regarding "your" online handle coming from?

Xenavire
06-28-2015, 07:41 AM
I recall a similar thread awhile back about this and lo and behold, the OP was you.
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=39181
Where's the sense of entitlement regarding "your" online handle coming from?

He was here first? (I kid.)

I do think a few people should have some sort of minor guarantees, like Exalted players (I think we can all live with Colon, but Colīn shouldn't be allowed - luckily those characters should be banned IIRC.) But overall I think it is only really a problem when someone is using it to scam. I can't think of anyone ever using a carbon copy of my name for anything other than scamming, so for me I am fairly sure that could be considered for an auto-report, but anything like Stoked, Phoenix, King, etc, are going to be fairly common, and could be a legitimate player just trying to play the game.

I think we can all agree that someone using a similar name in trade channel with things like "I am a trusted trader" it becomes a little suspicious, and those do need to be looked into in case of abuse.

kaiizza
06-28-2015, 07:59 AM
He was here first? (I kid.)

I do think a few people should have some sort of minor guarantees, like Exalted players (I think we can all live with Colon, but Colīn shouldn't be allowed - luckily those characters should be banned IIRC.) But overall I think it is only really a problem when someone is using it to scam. I can't think of anyone ever using a carbon copy of my name for anything other than scamming, so for me I am fairly sure that could be considered for an auto-report, but anything like Stoked, Phoenix, King, etc, are going to be fairly common, and could be a legitimate player just trying to play the game.

I think we can all agree that someone using a similar name in trade channel with things like "I am a trusted trader" it becomes a little suspicious, and those do need to be looked into in case of abuse.

Jesus, someone thinks way too highly of themselves. There are 7 going on 8 billion people in the world. You would really auto-report for someone coming up with a name close to yours? Jesus we need to screen hex volunteers better. The entitlement with some of them is just mind blowing. It is getting really bad for our so called "Great community"

Gwaer
06-28-2015, 08:07 AM
To say a similar thing in a significantly less obnoxious way. Your high post count and the fact that you've been a part of the community for a long time means people may innocently emulate your name Xenavire. So auto reporting people is ridiculous. For anyone. A popular game will have similar names and we will all just have to deal with it.

Xenavire
06-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Well, I have used this name for 10 years, and never had anyone use anything similar - I guess someone could emulate me out of respect, but that honestly never even occurred to me, since I don't actually consider myself as special enough to emulate (I do on the other hand have a good rating in the trusted traders thread, which is why I thought people would try to use my name to scam, rather than emulate me.)

Still, with all those people out there, and I have been reasonably active around (so if someone was going to copy me they probably would have by now), I seem to still be unique (amusing results when I googled my screen name, but its all me, barring some French(?) phrase of some kind.) I guess I can see someone making a 'copy' account for fun or out of respect, but I honestly never thought about that.

Oh, and Kaiizza, I was mostly joking about the auto-report. I figure anyone that actually suspects scamming would report the person, but otherwise would ignore it. I was poking some fun - next time I won't bother though, I am obviously not funny.

Kubira
06-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Welcome to MMOs. There are 60 characters in World of Warcraft named Starphoenix and even five named Starpheonix. If the game is successful, this will only become more common.

For what it is worth, the database found one Xenavire but the character may not actually exist. I guess Xen already got to him... :)

ForgedSol
06-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Banning exact spellings, great. Banning similar isn't. The Colin example is even a worse example I feel. That's literally a real world name that many people have. Banning people from wanting to use their name (or a close approximation) just because someone Kickstarted for a high amount is an awful idea.

Banning actions and intent is different beast of course.

Xenavire
06-28-2015, 11:56 AM
Welcome to MMOs. There are 60 characters in World of Warcraft named Starphoenix and even five named Starpheonix. If the game is successful, this will only become more common.

For what it is worth, the database found one Xenavire but the character may not actually exist. I guess Xen already got to him... :)

That was me :p I decided to not use Xenavire too much in WoW, can't remember why though... I think it was a character I meant to level but never did.

NOBLEStarshield
06-28-2015, 12:10 PM
Much like the last thread I'm closing this one and to quote Phenteo,

"If the player is using your name (or a derivative thereof) for scamming purposes, we will take actions against the account.

The impersonation rule only implies for staff/employees as there are players who try to social engineer with pretending to be an someone with power to gleam information off of other players. That's against the rules as well (even though can be considered scamming as well.)

If you have any issues with someone using your name to scam others, please submit a ticket with a screenshot to http://support.hextcg.com

Closing thread as no further discussion is needed and I don't want the response to get buried."