PDA

View Full Version : Arena fodder

Sparrow
06-28-2015, 06:57 AM
An idea for Arena that's probably already been posted somewhere:

When a player goes 20-0 in Arena, their deck and champ are added to the pool of Arena combatants. Whether or not they'd be a Tier Boss is above my paygrade, but if they were they'd award a random piece of equipment they use plus the usual bag of gold.

For this to work, there'd have to be a max of one champ per player in the Arena pool, players would probably need to click a box stating that if they go 20-0 they want their deck mixed in, and most importantly, someone from CZE would need to approve each deck before it becomes available as an opponent so we don't end up with 100 variants of the same basic deck (or, even better, you could end up facing one of 100 variants, but the overall chance to face that basic deck type is the same as any of the normal foes).

They'd also need to have an AI instead of an AS (Artificial Stupid), but that will be coming eventually I hope.

bwarner
06-29-2015, 09:01 AM
Since I think it is pretty common for people to go undefeated in Arena, I wouldn't try to save all of them. But it might be cool if they added a final battle after Tier 4 where you went against the last deck that had gone perfect in the arena (or even the last person to just finish the arena). It would be thematic that to become the Arena champion, you have to defeat the previous one.

thegreybetween
06-29-2015, 10:08 AM
It would be thematic that to become the Arena champion, you have to defeat the previous one.

I think this is a very cool idea, thematically. In practice, what would likely happen is that some new, nasty, nearly unstoppable deck would complete the arena, and we'd reach a point where (between new content dumps), pretty much the only way to complete the arena would be to run a similar deck in the hopes that RNG favors you instead of the final AI. Finding this new deck might take a little while, but it would happen eventually (and quickly, barring any new content to occupy our creative energy). It would ultimately make the Arena even less fun than it is now, because the probability of a whacky homebrew deck clearing "Tier 5" would be essentially moot.

Now, if this was an electable option, then it would be great. Clear the normal arena, and get the normal loot. Elect to tackle the AI-controlled reigning champion deck as a final boss, and if you win, it is your deck (complete with credits) that takes the top seat. That alone would be a pretty cool prize, but the pot could be sweetened with a healthy gold bonus for those willing to take the shot.

Plus, implementing the feature might be a good way for the devs to pre-test some of the mechanisms of keep defense, wherein (as of the last ancient update) Player-designed AI-controlled decks will be assigned to protect our keeps from other raiding players.

So yeah, while I am certain such a feature would be miles down a priority list, it does seem like a worthwhile consideration.

QuartZ
06-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Love the idea of the last perfect clear deck becomes the Arena champion until someone else defeat it. No need for additional prizes, just the 500g and a piece of equipment. Having your deck in the end of arena should be enought of incentive.

Plus, it would bring an intersting self regulating meta to the arena. If the same kind of deck is constantly up there, people will run a deck thats good against it even if its not the best to clear arena to try to take the seat. And when this starts winning too much, players will adapt again.

Sounds a lot of fun and an incentive to run the arena with diferent decks instead of just grinding it with your speedrun deck

Sparrow
06-29-2015, 11:32 AM
I appreciate the refining of my idea. I like the idea of a reigning champion better than my overly broad approach. :)

wolzarg
06-29-2015, 01:07 PM
Don't have a reward for beating the last one make it a reward for when your champion deck beats someone else.

nicosharp
06-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Save this for "Keep Defense"
We are going to be likely blown away by PvE features promised and released hopefully all before year end. Some fit better in certain spots than others.
It's like Arena is the Lego Pirate Ship missing a few pieces, but you are trying to build a Lego Space Station on top of it.

wolzarg
06-29-2015, 01:14 PM
I fail to see the issue your example is flawed as that sounds awesome!

thegreybetween
06-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I think we can all agree that space pirates are awesome.

Sparrow
06-29-2015, 02:40 PM
When it comes to making improvements to the game, I think low-hanging fruit should be taken advantage of. Too often ideas are dismissed on the grounds that we should wait for some feature that will do it better, but has no sign of arriving, let alone even being in development past the "neat idea" stage.

Adding a champ deck at the end of Arena is a very modest change and will take nothing away from Keep Defense should it ever actually be added to the game. If Hex has created a 20 level arena with 20+ opponents, then creating a 21st level with 1 opponent is trivial.

Xenavire
06-29-2015, 02:45 PM
When it comes to making improvements to the game, I think low-hanging fruit should be taken advantage of. Too often ideas are dismissed on the grounds that we should wait for some feature that will do it better, but has no sign of arriving, let alone even being in development past the "neat idea" stage.

Adding a champ deck at the end of Arena is a very modest change and will take nothing away from Keep Defense should it ever actually be added to the game. If Hex has created a 20 level arena with 20+ opponents, then creating a 21st level with 1 opponent is trivial.

Maybe they plan to someday sneak in Hogarth somehow? He has been conspicuously absent, and there was a PvE card... Maybe they plan to add an insane tier that you have to unlock, goes 21-25, with Hogarth as the boss? :p

Sparrow
06-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Whew, I almost fired off a rage response then I re-read and saw the smiley. :cool: