PDA

View Full Version : What about extended arts in limited environments ?

Metronomy
07-01-2015, 07:12 AM
Simple question:
Is there a way to play with extended art cards in limited environments (e.g. drafts) ?

I gues the developers must have thought about that question before. People wont go ahead and unlock extended art on their cards while deck-building. You would have to unlock each common again and again. But there for sure is a demand to play with extended arts in limited. My suggestion would be as followed: If you have x copies of a specific card unlocked with extended art in your collection you are allowed to play x copies of that card with extended art in limited. I get that its not completly simple to do that from a coding point of view (since each card is a single object) but its very much doable. That being said you should still be able to unlock extended art in the draft deck-builder (just to immediately unlock extended art for your mythics and rares).

LeMazing
07-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Yeah, this sort of thing has been brought up before in regards to playing with AA in drafts, as well as using your own cards in drafts to gain exp and other double back stuff.

I'm all for it, especially the ability to unlock EA within the draft/sealed deck builder. I'd never thought about that sort of thing.

Gwaer
07-01-2015, 07:18 AM
There have been a number of community discussions on this topic. My personal favorite option is being able to pick cards out of your collection to swap in for cards you drafted. This helps limited players with double back achievements as well.

Metronomy
07-01-2015, 07:20 AM
that would also work quite fine gwaer (if done right)...like one button to automatic swap...you dont wanna drag and drop each and every single card

Salverus
07-01-2015, 07:57 AM
easiest would be to make the EA account bound, not card bound. But i am sure HEX has thought about this issue before and with the EA release so close, i wouldnt be surprised if they already had a solution as well.

Yoss
07-01-2015, 08:20 AM
There have been a number of community discussions on this topic. My personal favorite option is being able to pick cards out of your collection to swap in for cards you drafted. This helps limited players with double back achievements as well.

Yes, that was my favorite option as well.

Metronomy
07-01-2015, 08:48 AM
as long as there is an auto-swap button for my whole deck im fine with that

magic_gazz
07-01-2015, 02:25 PM
I would be much more keen to EA everything if people could see it in draft.

Thoom
07-01-2015, 03:19 PM
easiest would be to make the EA account bound, not card bound.

This is definitely off the table (which is a pity, as it's my favorite solution). I would also kind of have preferred double backs to be account bound when they're eventually implemented, but again I'm pretty sure that's off the table because it flies in the face of the overall vision for enhancing the value of our collections.

Having so much stuff tied to individual copies of a card is going to lead to a massive increase in UI complexity (or a flat-out impossibility in some cases) for quality of life features like using EA in drafts, importing/exporting decks from external sources, or loaning decks to friends.

as long as there is an auto-swap button for my whole deck im fine with that

For example, as long as we just have EA, an auto-swap button seems like a sensible feature, but when you add in stuff like foils, achievements, etc. it becomes harder and harder to tell which N copies of a card (not just 4, because you might draft more than 4) get auto swapped in and which ones get excluded. For example, if I have 3 EA burns, 1 AA burn, 1 EA AA burn, 2 foil burns, and 1 with all achievements completed, and I draft 4 copies of Burn (in some future set where Burn is reprinted), which cards get swapped in?

Metronomy
07-01-2015, 04:47 PM
youre sure right that it could become more problematic in the future...but they have to solve this issue already with multi-listings in the auction house....my hope is just that there will be a feature at all with the patch to play extended arts in drafts...i am such a big fan of full art cards..its not a small issue for me

israel.kendall
07-01-2015, 04:50 PM
There would need to be a setting in collection manager where a player could toggle cards as draft replacements. Then maybe a sync button in the draft deck builder that will scan the deck and replace cards automatically. It might take a little work to set up, but you would only need to set it up one time for any given card.

Gwaer
07-01-2015, 05:12 PM
There would need to be a setting in collection manager where a player could toggle cards as draft replacements. Then maybe a sync button in the draft deck builder that will scan the deck and replace cards automatically. It might take a little work to set up, but you would only need to set it up one time for any given card.

this was the first solution I came up with as well. I suppose the other option is a lazy version that just tries to sync the rarest cards you have available, be it AA/Foil/EA, and if you have too many and they're the same weighted rarity it can just choose randomly.

In a similar vein, I am still waiting for them to implement my secret weapon against Colin's OCD, Where a random sleeve from my collection is on the back of every card, so if I have 60 sleeves I may have 60 different card backs. I'll gladly take the information hit. Also, my minimum deck size will increase as the number of sleeves I own makes it over 60 =/

israel.kendall
07-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Yeah I like the sleeve idea too, would make good use of the many sleeves we will eventually end up with.

EntropyBall
07-02-2015, 07:00 AM
Yeah I like the sleeve idea too, would make good use of the many sleeves we will eventually end up with.

I have lots of sleeves, but I use Jadiim sleeves. All day. Every day.

Gwaer
07-02-2015, 07:35 AM
See, I have jadiim sleeves but I also have AA poster sleeves from gencon last year. So I have to use those.

EntropyBall
07-02-2015, 08:33 AM
See, I have jadiim sleeves but I also have AA poster sleeves from gencon last year. So I have to use those.
We each have our own burdens to bear...

Metronomy
07-22-2015, 11:37 AM
push....i realy realy want it

Are there any information Hexent can give ? (like we are working on it or at least it will come sometime in the future)

DataDragon
07-22-2015, 05:08 PM
This was already included in the new patch. Unfortunately it is bugged to not display correctly, but a minor patch will fix that shortly.

Mejis
07-22-2015, 05:31 PM
This was already included in the new patch. Unfortunately it is bugged to not display correctly, but a minor patch will fix that shortly.

Yeah I noticed in Gauntlet Sealed that I could use stardust to EA my cards, but I didn't try it. Is that broken then, or is the draft environment different? Are you referring to swapping cards from collection (a la Gwaer's suggestion) or just the ability to stardust any card once picked?

BossHoss
07-22-2015, 05:53 PM
Yeah I EA'd my entire draft deck but it didn't work when the matches started. The EA's still were in the account after so it wasn't a problem.

Metronomy
07-23-2015, 04:08 AM
Im sorry DataDragon but my suggestion was different from what is implemented in the game. Having to unlock extended art for each card in the deckbuilder cannot be the right solution (I dont want to and cannot unlock extended art on my 12th copy of Lithe Lyricist). The suggestion is to make it so that if you have card z x-times unlocked with extended art in your collection that then you can play card z x-times in limited with extended art.

Cernz
07-23-2015, 04:14 AM
i play draft/limited and sealed gauntlet ;) for the most of my hex playtime, it makes no sense for me to use EAs if there is no option ingame which allows us to see the EA version during limited formats without extending the same cards over and over again, i guess a solution for this issue would get more ppl into stardust + extending their cards to EA.

Ariathor
07-23-2015, 05:04 AM
easiest would be to make the EA account bound, not card bound. But i am sure HEX has thought about this issue before and with the EA release so close, i wouldnt be surprised if they already had a solution as well.

I agree with that, I think the current implementation of everything being tied down to individual cards makes things extremely messy. You have extra clicks at the AH, until now we didn't even have a way to list multiple copies of a card because of that, using a card in multiple decks means you might end up with more than 4 cards out of your collection being used in your decks etc.

I think it's too late to change it, but it was probably a bad decision in my opinion (although I'm sure there are some people who like the individuality of the cards and don't mind the big increase in interface complexity it introduces).

Metronomy
07-25-2015, 11:20 PM
push..since I got Datadragon to response lets see if I can get a response to my actual question^^

DataDragon
07-26-2015, 12:56 AM
I believe you are asking for an option to choose to use your already extended art cards in a limited tournament when you open a pack and get a similar card.
This is something we have discussed internally, but have no decision either way.

poizonous
07-26-2015, 01:07 AM
Can I ask the danger of not allowing such a feature?

Metronomy
07-26-2015, 02:26 AM
exactly....check if I unlocked the card in my collection and then allow to use the card in the extended version (be it as a swap or temporaly unlock extended art without swap)

The solution to unlock each common for each draft isnt a workable solution. It should be obvious why. And since extended art is a great appeal for me and a large number of people why not allow that. You wanna show those great full arts for all your cards and artists, dont you ? As is, many many common cards will never be seen in its full art by the vast majority of players. Thats a shame in my oppinion.

israel.kendall
07-26-2015, 06:46 AM
I believe you are asking for an option to choose to use your already extended art cards in a limited tournament when you open a pack and get a similar card.
This is something we have discussed internally, but have no decision either way.

This I think is something worthwhile to put into the game, because with such a system we could also hopefully be allowed to substitute in AA cards. This would give limited players reasons to collect EA/AA and have fun playing them. Perhaps even let this be a way to level up / get achievements on those cards for limited players.

TOOT
07-26-2015, 09:50 AM
The obvious issue is when double backs come in. If it was purely just cosmetic where the visual is of an EA card that you own, and not the EA card in your collection building stats in a limited environment, then that would be fine.

Metronomy
07-26-2015, 10:08 AM
The obvious issue is when double backs come in. If it was purely just cosmetic where the visual is of an EA card that you own, and not the EA card in your collection building stats in a limited environment, then that would be fine.

there is a workable solution with temporary flags...luckily we are in a digital environment...pretty much everything is possible

hammer
07-26-2015, 10:15 AM

Well I would like to swap in my Extended Art version so I can continue to level the EA card and improve its double back states rather than game with extra copies I am going to sell anyway so I hope we can switch in copies during deck building for the very reason of double back achievements in addition to cosmetics.