PDA

View Full Version : What happens to Set 1 & Set 2 cards on 7/14? Are they only for pve?

silverlocke
07-05-2015, 03:30 PM
As per the title, what happens to the set 1 / 2 cards exactly? I am not familiar with how these sets and blocks work.

Are they only usable for PvE? No longer usable in constructed decks/tournaments?

What is the set/block setup for Hex? Is there an official post on this already I didn't see?

hex_colin
07-05-2015, 03:33 PM
As per the title, what happens to the set 1 / 2 cards exactly? I am not familiar with how these sets and blocks work.

Are they only usable for PvE? No longer usable in constructed decks/tournaments?

What is the set/block setup for Hex? Is there an official post on this already I didn't see?

Nope, still used everywhere.

At some point they'll become unusable for Standard Constructed (when Set 7 or 8 launches probably), but will always be usable in some sort of Eternal Constructed format as well as PVE.

Hints last week that we'll see a post about this on Friday!

silverlocke
07-05-2015, 03:34 PM
Ah ok, thx Colin : )

Aradon
07-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Sets 1 and 2 make up the first 'block.' Usually there are several blocks in the current tournament format at once, so even though Set 3 starts the new block, it won't push the first block out of rotation. CZE will let us know what the rotation structure is before anything rotates, but it will probably be 8 or so sets before that happens, by my guess. Once they rotate out, they won't be legal for tournament play unless CZE makes a new format for older cards, which is an inevitability at some point.

I believe they did say PvE won't rotate out ever, but I don't personally see that being sustainable.

stiii
07-05-2015, 03:42 PM
To elaborate on this other games have variety of formats which include some or all of the card pool. You have something like

new stuff- last 6 sets
older stuff - last 30 sets
really old stuff - all sets ever

The reasoning behind this is as new sets come out they make a smaller and smaller fraction of what is legal. This means people are less interested in the new cards as they need to be better than all of other options. New players need to acquire all kinds of older cards, which will grow more and more expensive over time.

That said we aren't very close to the point where older sets aren't legal in the default pvp format and I wouldn't expect it for quite a while. Pve is another thing entirely who knows how that will work.

poizonous
07-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Colin you make me wince every time we talk about rotations. Considering a three block rotation makes my head hurt. I really don't want to deal with CMK and Angels for a whole extra block

strawwmann
07-05-2015, 08:32 PM
I believe they did say PvE won't rotate out ever, but I don't personally see that being sustainable.

I hope that they DO manage to keep our entire card collections 'live' in PvE (and still getting enjoyment out of our old favourites), rather than dying and becoming mainly collectors items as they do in other TCGs.

One way of doing this would be to restrict the Blocks of cards that can be used in particular PvE Arenas, Dungeons etc. (when there are eventually too many cards.),
even if 'Historic Block' PvE areas cycle on a regular basis (rather than all being available all the time).

Aradon
07-05-2015, 08:55 PM
Could see a difficulty mode where you get some special bonus for playing with 'Standard' only PvE, but still go for regular rewards with any cards.

Fred
07-06-2015, 06:00 AM
Because of the way blocks and standard constructed is designed, set 1 and 2 cards will still be relevant for a while in PvP (so long as you play constructed). However, set 1 and 2 packs become next to worthless as soon as set 3 hits, because you can't use them anymore in neither draft nor sealed. The only value of packs from older sets is the cards they contain for constructed. At one point, they will stop being generated ("printed") and will also gain value as a collector item.

Svenn
07-06-2015, 06:38 AM
Because of the way blocks and standard constructed is designed, set 1 and 2 cards will still be relevant for a while in PvP (so long as you play constructed). However, set 1 and 2 packs become next to worthless as soon as set 3 hits, because you can't use them anymore in neither draft nor sealed. The only value of packs from older sets is the cards they contain for constructed. At one point, they will stop being generated ("printed") and will also gain value as a collector item.
I believe they said they want to keep Set 1/2 drafts in addition to Set 3 drafts for a while. Not sure if that will be in next week or if they'll do just Set 3 for a while and open up both or what.

bwarner
07-06-2015, 06:44 AM

You make it sound like the primary source of value for packs is that they are used for draft and sealed. While people definitely get some extra value out of their packs that way, I'd guess it is less than 10%. So saying they are next to worthless is quite an exaggeration. People will still want packs, because they contain a chance to get valuable cards that are far more expensive as individuals.

Elwinz
07-06-2015, 06:46 AM
perosnaly at current prices i wouldnt dare to open set 2 pack. Legendary chance is so low and almost every rare is below the value. It looks much better for value of rares in set1. However set1 is much bigger ...

Koz
07-06-2015, 06:55 AM
I hope that they DO manage to keep our entire card collections 'live' in PvE (and still getting enjoyment out of our old favourites), rather than dying and becoming mainly collectors items as they do in other TCGs.

One way of doing this would be to restrict the Blocks of cards that can be used in particular PvE Arenas, Dungeons etc. (when there are eventually too many cards.),
even if 'Historic Block' PvE areas cycle on a regular basis (rather than all being available all the time).

I could see them eventually going to two formats for PvE. Like say, when you start your run, you choose either "Standard Format" or "Legacy Format" (or whatever they would call it), and then you play with either a current block deck, or a deck with cards from any block, and all of the AI opponents have decks with the same format. Wouldn't be all that hard to implement something like that

Ertzi
07-06-2015, 11:58 AM
They have to keep every card eligible in PvE in some form. What would be the point of collecting all those toys for PvE, if you suddenly couldn't use them. I just don't see that ever happening. PvE against AI does not have to be 'fair' or 'competitive', so why limit it? I can see maybe multiple formats with varying difficulties, but I believe there will never be a time some cards cannot be used in PvE anymore. That might be one of the few decisions that would make me abandon HEX on the spot. I need PvE to be an ever-expanding sandbox of craziness and mayhem.

Aradon
07-06-2015, 12:11 PM
I can see maybe multiple formats with varying difficulties, but I believe there will never be a time some cards cannot be used in PvE anymore.

There already are some cards that can't be used in PvE anymore, which means CZE does care about keeping the challenge in tact. I can't see that happening without some manner of rotation. There are already infinite combos in PvE, and it'll only become easier when we get more tools like champions and ten more sets of cards to work with.

Mr.Funsocks
07-07-2015, 10:10 PM
There already are some cards that can't be used in arena anymore, which means CZE does care about keeping the challenge in tact.

While the coding is that they're banned in PvE, they really are only banned in Arena. It's entirely possible for them to have a separate banlist per dungeon/PvE mode. I can forsee some type of "standard decks" arena where the AI doesn't break deckbuilding rules and they allow those two cards.